• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need a DAC that works on all consoles/TV

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
'Evening lads and lasses ;)

What the title says, i need a DAC mostly for boosting the audio levels since my HyperX Alpha can only get so loud when connected to the Dualsense.
Until a couple of years ago, i used to have a Sony STR-DA 2400ES Amp to which i'd connect my headphones into for my late night sessions, it was a thing of beauty and i could crank up the volume until my ears bled, sadly, had to leave it behind when moving.
Now, both the Dualsense's and Series X|S controller audio output is (mostly) A-OK but there are a couple of games (most recently Alan Wake 2) where the sound mixing/loudness is borked/so low that there's absolutely a need for sound/audio level amplification.

I've taken a quick look at Soundblaster's options and...fook if i know what's the better option.
The Sb Play! 3 , play! 4 and XG1 appear to be the cheaper and simpler solutions but i don't know how good they are at amplifying the sound output/levels.
Then you have the GC7 and the X4 which seem to be "overkill" since they're more oriented towards the the Game Vs chat sound levels with their massive knobs (no pun intended).

Basically, what i need is :
- something that will work with all consoles and not just the PS5
- something which supports both treble AND Bass adjustments
- Preferably, something which can also connect to my LG C2 via optical (C2 has optical out) as to be able to use my headphones with my TV also
- Preferably around the 100 Eurodollar mark

What are my options here gents ?

Thanks in advance for any info/insight

Cheers !

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Before you buy an expensive DAC try this little thing :

I’ve been using it with my PHILIPS Fidelio X2HR and it works great..
Hey Twil, that's a USB type C to 3.5mm jack adapter - where would i connect it to ? Directly to the PS5 ? What about my TV though ? C2 doesn't support USB audio...

Thanks ;)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
A few things come to mind. First, and my personal preference, look at Schiit Audio (www.schiit.com). They're insanely well made (in Texas no less) and sound absolutely amazing. For what you're looking for, something like a combo of the Modi DAC that's then sent to a Vali or Midgard headphone amp. Very cheap, audiophile-wise, and you won't beat the sound anywhere near that cost level.

Another option is the AudioQuest Dragonfly. It's went through several iterations, but any one of them would work extremely well.

DAC compatibility with Xbox is not possible. It needs to be xbox certified, something no HP DAC manufacturers are doing. I am myself looking for one for a long time.

But PS5/Switch / TV compatibilty should be easy.

Fosi Audio K5 Pro Gaming DAC Headphone Amplifier Mini Hi-Fi Stereo Digital-to-Analog Audio Converter USB Type C/Optical/Coaxial to RCA/3.5MM AUX for PS5/PC/MAC/Computer
https://a.co/d/goe7bBV

FrankWza

'Evening lads and lasses ;)

What the title says, i need a DAC mostly for boosting the audio levels since my HyperX Alpha can only get so loud when connected to the Dualsense.
Until a couple of years ago, i used to have a Sony STR-DA 2400ES Amp to which i'd connect my headphones into for my late night sessions, it was a thing of beauty and i could crank up the volume until my ears bled, sadly, had to leave it behind when moving.
Now, both the Dualsense's and Series X|S controller audio output is (mostly) A-OK but there are a couple of games (most recently Alan Wake 2) where the sound mixing/loudness is borked/so low that there's absolutely a need for sound/audio level amplification.

I've taken a quick look at Soundblaster's options and...fook if i know what's the better option.
The Sb Play! 3 , play! 4 and XG1 appear to be the cheaper and simpler solutions but i don't know how good they are at amplifying the sound output/levels.
Then you have the GC7 and the X4 which seem to be "overkill" since they're more oriented towards the the Game Vs chat sound levels with their massive knobs (no pun intended).

Basically, what i need is :
- something that will work with all consoles and not just the PS5
- something which supports both treble AND Bass adjustments
- Preferably, something which can also connect to my LG C2 via optical (C2 has optical out) as to be able to use my headphones with my TV also
- Preferably around the 100 Eurodollar mark

What are my options here gents ?

Thanks in advance for any info/insight

Cheers !
Your problem will end up being that you're limited to the xbox proprietary connection, unless you find an HDMI splitter or a receiver that can keep you using 120 fps and VRR, if you want to go deeper than using the controller audio.
You can add optical audio to the PS5 but not the series. That allows for legacy amps and connections because PS5 has open usb ports.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Im no audio expert but I have some knowledge in what your options are and sadly due to Xbox your going to be limited. I too play on all systems so I know with Xbox, only hardware that is officialy licenced to be used on the platform can be used.

I use the Astro Mixamp pro tr. The xbox edition can be used with PC and Playstation aswell, some people have had some issues but its been fine for me, just make sure you can connect it to a pc to update to the latest firmware.

Another option is the Steelseries DAC . I have not used this myself but have watched some youtube vids and it seems people recomend this over the Astro mixamp. Again like the Astro it can be used on Xbox, Playstation and pc if you get the Xbox version.

Its realy fustrating Xbox close the system off like that, hopefully that will change in the future.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
OK boys, i'm back.

I knew that it would be kind of complicated from the beginning...
I don't want to mess with splitters, HDMI extractors etc etc.

There's many nice recommendations already so here are my thoughts :

Diseased Yak Diseased Yak : The Schiit stuff it's way too expensive (gaming DAC/Amp category) and as for the Dragonfly...90+ Eurodollars for that flimsy thing i just don't know brother, thanks anyway, appreciate it

vaibhavpisal vaibhavpisal : Yep, i had already read about it and seems like a good option - hope i can connect it directly to my Tv

DAHGAMING DAHGAMING : Both of those you posted are cool, it's just that they're console only from what i gather since they're only USB with no optical/TOSLINK (or, 1 of them at least).

DGrayson DGrayson : I mean, sure , it's just that most mini amps brother are the same price as DACs which also incorporate amp functionality so...

Here's the thing, with most of these thingamajigs, if you want to have - say - Tempest audio on the PS5 you have to connect them directly to the PS5, meaning, i'll have to plug/unplug, connect/disconnect the thing each and every time i want to use it with a different device (PC/PS5/TV) something which...well, will get ballbreaking after a while.

Anyway, what i have in mind is to get one with an optical/toslink connection , connect it directly to my LG C2 and then connect my headphones to it as to have a 1-in-all solution since i will have sound from both my TV when watching shows and my PS5 when connecting my headphones.
Obviously, i won't be able to also connect my laptop at the same time but, you can't have everything in life so i'll have to make do with the onboard soundcard.

There's a 30% off promotion on Amazon right now for the Soundblaster GC7 which brings the price down to 91€. The G6 goes for about 100.
The Fosi Audio K5 Pro goes for 80€ since it's 10% off

Will i have any problems with VRR/120Hz or audio lag with these if i have them connected directly to my TV via toslink/optical ?​

What say you guys ? Shall i go for one of them or shall i keep searching ?

Last edited:

Ribi

Are you the guy who asked about the sound blaster on r/ headphones advice?

I think the moondrop Dawn Pro is $50 but again you get all that proprietary bs with MS

Funny enough the cheapest and best Dac to buy is actually the $9 apple dongle

Last edited:
Top Bottom