• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sabre Wulf - IGN review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/521/521667p1.html

7.0 Presentation
The game's "RPG" style presentation is a little sloppy with an incredibly stupid storyline to drive the gameplay. Overlook these elements, though, because the rest is rather well done.

8.0 Graphics
It's pretty clear that the GBA Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie teams had their hands in this game. Same style, competent game engines and graphic detail.

8.0 Sound
The typical Rare character jibberish is mixed with actual English from the main character, all clear samples. The background music varies from bland to fun and energetic depending on the level.

8.0 Gameplay
A very solid platform design that doesn't overwhelm with complex gameplay elements. Its "build your own solution" design is really clever, but the balance in difficulty from level to level fluctuates.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
Even without multiplayer support, there's enough to keep player's interest with a challenge mode that opens up after completing levels, several mini challenges, and encouragement for repeat play.

OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

"Sabre Wulf definitely feels like a welcome throwback to the NES days when the team created wonderfully original and fun game designs that didn't focus on familiar branding...games like Snake, Rattle and Roll, Solar Jetman and Wizards & Warriors. The team has offered up a fun action game that's easy to understand and get into, and feels entirely like its own. Even with its loose, sloppy "adventure" elements and strange difficulty balance. And with its debut back at E3 2001, it was a long time coming...but Sabre Wulf was worth the wait."

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hey, I actually 'heard' this game is pretty fun! The concept of the game is original and the level design is pretty decent. Everyone should try it out, leave your Rare hate aside for a minute

I imported this game, its alot of fun... one of my fave GBA games yet, honestly.. youll like it...

banjo kazooie is great too, and its like $9.99-$19.99 new everywhere now.. get it, its FRIGGING $10.

I have gone from having basically no RARE games, to being a rare fanatic, owning 3 of 3 games released in the last year or two..

Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge and Sabrewulf... these 3 games are making me a rare fanatic..

Grabbed by the Ghoulies being my favorite, Sabreuwlf second favorite, and I really liked Banjo, but didnt find it amazing or anything.. whereas Sabrewulf is one of my favorite GBA SP games, and GbtG is one of my favorite xbox games.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I can't say I'm a huge fan of the game. It was great fun to start with, but it's far too easy, there's no sensible difficulty curve (later levels of the main game are easier than earlier ones). Might have been a better game if the main game mode had restricted you to the use of certain creatures in the same way that the time trials do.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sabre Wolf reminded me a lot of Mario Vs. DK. I admit I've only played SW a handful of times at E3 this year and last year, whereas I've put a lot of time into M Vs. DK, but still...

both of them have short puzzle-based stages, that gradually introduce new gameplay mechanics and steadily ramp up the brain-bustingness of the puzzles.

That's my two cents, and maybe upon playing more SW I'd feel very differently.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
This game would be a 9+ if they limited the amount of each creature you can have to 1, as it is id say 8 is about right, i dont think it gets easier as you go on, it gets much harder to beat the gold record times, the game just changes from a puzzle platformer to a out and out platformer with a character with loads of abilities, because you have so many creatures you dont have to think about what you are using as much.

Easily Rares best GBA game, and one of the most inventive GBA games in a long time. Outrunning sabrewulf is by far the most exciting thing on the system

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
GDJustin said:
both of them have short puzzle-based stages, that gradually introduce new gameplay mechanics and steadily ramp up the brain-bustingness of the puzzles.

The brain-bustingness disappears entirely as you accumulate creatures, unfortunately - particularly the Phoenix. As for the Sabre Wulf chases, they're pretty much a memory test (and not a very complex one at that) since he's pretty much trivial to dodge - you just need to remember the way back to the start.

I give the game a 6, and place it alongside State of Emergency on the shelf of games where the side-games are more entertaining than the main game.

Top Bottom