• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Elden Ring: Shadow Of The Erdtree’ At ‘Mixed’ Reviews on Steam Because It’s Too Hard

Thief1987

It'll be a while before I get around to Elden Ring, let alone the DLC, but I have to wonder if it's a well-designed challenge or just unbalanced. Some of the stuff I've been hearing about sounds more frustrating and annoying than legitimately challenging. The issue I've always had with Souls games is that when you die, it's a pain in the ass to get back to where you were - I don't want to fight through these mooks or run through the whole level again, because it just takes too damn long. I can see why a super high level of difficulty would tip people over the edge.
They never made a game with well-designed challenge. Cheap trash is the only way they know to achieve "difficulty".

zeroluck

First time playing the base game on thursday, it is boring AF slogging through this empty world but I can't stop playing for some reason, hopefully get to the DLC by tonight. Souls game is boring they need to go the Sekiro route for their next game.

Last edited:
I love the game for being hard, but I never understood why not offering players who don’t want it that hard an easier mode. Even in From Software says it would break the game, let players decide what they want…

I say lets players play something else and lets devs design their games the way they want. This is the way From wants their games and millions of people love it to the point they are one of the most popular devs in the world doing things their way. On top of that adding an easier mode at this point would just piss off the core fan base for some casuals who still most likely won’t even complete the game.

deeptech

I'm going to assume many younger players are disappointed they can't browse though the bosses like they do with trash on tik-tok?????
Integrity test for FROM, are they going to be themselves or cave it to bitches. Now still haven't played and will leave room for a possibility that perhaps DLC might be badly designed, but hugely doubt it.

Ibara

The new upgrade materials help a bunch. You find a ton if you actually explore. If you’re going into the DLC and ignoring exploration that’s the problem.
The other half of the problem is lol skill issue

scardutree blesssings matter a lot more than levels. If you skip the exploring and go fight Messmer right away, you'll have a hard time. The bosses in the DLC are generally lot more aggressive. Some cheese builds such as comet azur don't really work in the DLC. You'd actually have to die bunch of times to learn the bosses' movesets.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
4VfrMxA.png

Maybe I haven't got to the hard part yet. So far I don't think it's harder than Ringed City.
Yeah I'm feeling the same. I beat the lion on my second attempt at SL122 and it wasn't exactly the toughest fight I've had in Elden Ring. I used Mimic Tear and the summon but then I don't want to make the game that much more difficult for myself.

I head East since I was told to go there and I'm about to enter what looks like a poison area. Yeah the games tough but it's doable for sure. I must have died a handful of times against big knights and mobs but otherwise its been fine.

I say this and it'll probably get stupid hard.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I'm enjoying it a ton, definitely chugging through it at a good pace. Most certainly a few bumps along the way, but I get passed them in due time. Such a phenomenal DLC that's very worthy of all the praise. That being said, I'm really getting tired of the Steam review manipulation strategy now. Every little thing doesn't need to affect it.

simpatico

Yeah I'm feeling the same. I beat the lion on my second attempt at SL122 and it wasn't exactly the toughest fight I've had in Elden Ring. I used Mimic Tear and the summon but then I don't want to make the game that much more difficult for myself.

I head East since I was told to go there and I'm about to enter what looks like a poison area. Yeah the games tough but it's doable for sure. I must have died a handful of times against big knights and mobs but otherwise its been fine.

I say this and it'll probably get stupid hard.
Oh I summon too. I'll try a boss a few times solo, but I like jolly co-operation.

nemiroff

Gold Member
TBH, this is making me doubt whether I should be getting this. I've beaten every Soulsborne (but haven't played the DLCs), and they have generally felt difficult but fair. Base ER was maybe a tad on the easy side except for a couple of bosses - I did everything solo (if you don't count using the Tear) except for Malenia where I summoned help like a little bitch. But I'm not sure I'm in the mood for something significantly more difficult. The frustration, and eventually prevailing, is a big part of the experience, but reading these comments I'm afraid it will be TOO frustrating and I just won't find it enjoyable.

It's also been two years since I touched this game, so there would definitely be a learning curve to get back into it.
The issue I have with the increased difficulty in the DLC is that it's not even well crafted. It's just duplicated from ER and parameters dialed up to a point where enemies can always one- and two-shot you, bombarding you relentlessly.

For most normal human beings, a tanky build with a perfected range of talismans might be the only way to get anywhere.

So, I’ve adjusted my strategies, adjusted my build, adjusted my summons, and now I’m making progress and defeating bosses. But I don't think it should be quite this finicky?

Not everyone has an infinite capacity to improve. What FromSoftware is doing here is making the game less accessible for more people.

But with that said, exploring this DLC world is glorious. Despite the difficulty shit I'm having a great time.

Last edited:

geary

Not everyone has an infinite capacity to improve. What FromSoftware is doing here is making the game less accessible for more people.
This is what is wrong with the industry. Trying to cater to everyone and not trying to keep to your philosophy. Do you want to transform ER in Assassins Creed where is no challenge?

Solrac

I don't know where the drama is... Since Dark Souls 3, we have been playing Bloodborne/Sekiro bosses with Demon's Souls mechanics, and even in this one, they went full anime

nemiroff

Gold Member
This is what is wrong with the industry. Trying to cater to everyone and not trying to keep to your philosophy. Do you want to transform ER in Assassins Creed where is no challenge?
So you're saying ER (and DS, and even Sekiro) was like Assassin's Creed..? Don't be ridiculous.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
First boss killed me 20 times before i got him. With that said, you have to expect these games to kick your ass at times. There are plenty of options to help you in those instances.

Git gud you fuckin pansies

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I am saying that trying to cater to everyone will lead to becoming a AC game.
I just don't understand why you think that has anything too do with my post. I'm asking the reason why the DLC can't be approx. as challenging as the main ER release, and whether we're supposed to keep upping the difficulty until there's none left able to play it.. Why you have to drag Assassin's Creed into it is beyond me.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The issue I have with the increased difficulty in the DLC is that it's not even well crafted. It's just duplicated from ER and parameters dialed up to a point where enemies can always one- and two-shot you, bombarding you relentlessly.

For most normal human beings, a tanky build with a perfected range of talismans might be the only way to get anywhere.

So, I’ve adjusted my strategies, adjusted my build, adjusted my summons, and now I’m making progress and defeating bosses. But I don't think it should be quite this finicky?

But with that said, exploring this DLC world is glorious. Despite the difficulty shit I'm having a great time.

You can get items to offset the damage increase from the various enemies by collecting new items. This can lead you to take 5-10 hits dependent on your build. Even a squishy mage can take 3-4 hits with those items. If you are constantly getting 1-2 hit, you haven’t found enough, using severely low level gear, or failed to put anything into your hp.

AKA - git gud.

Zathalus

Feels like there is a good discussion to be had about boss design and balance in this expansion. Some boss encounters vastly favour specific builds while making some of the classic RPG archetypes near useless in comparison. That is not really a good example of great game design.

Personally I am finding the expansion challenging but doable. I do wonder what the inevitable balance patches will change.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Nah, I can play difficult games without difficulties. I have platinum trophies in games like Returnal and Hades. I don't mind high difficulty, but we are hardcore gamers.

Not everyone is.

Besides, that's not even the point. The point is that there are certain basic things that all games need to have. Difficulty and basic accessibility options are among them.
We're going full circle here: no, they don't.

Certain games are developed and tailor-made with specific target audience in mind. There's no set "basic" industry standard that developers must abide to and limp their original vision in order to fit into the modern gaming landscape. You're imposing your perception of what "should be necessary". If someone doesn't enjoy or tolerate games with a singular "tough-as-nails" difficulty, then that's a shame.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
I miss when Demon/Dark Souls wasn't about memorizing bosses patterns and rolling every 2 seconds to active i-frames.
Word. Both those games are subtlety masterclasses in boss design with their own idiosyncrasies.

Everything started with Dark Souls 2 DLC with the big arenas and dodging endless combos. I totally miss the puzzle aspect of early Souls.

Lokaum D+

Just killed Gaius with brute force dual great sword, also Raptor of the Mists is so OP for this build.

One complain about the game is that i tought the DLC would have a Quest line more like Ranis, to help understand shit, but the game just drop u there and whatever.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Is this like a tiktok thing?

Like why all of a sudden are people moaning about difficulty in a from soft game.

To be fair I haven't played the dlc yet but I can't believe it's so unfathomably difficult that it's unplayable.

I'm assuming some famous kid moaned and now everyone just following cause that's basically how things work these days

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Is this like a tiktok thing?

Like why all of a sudden are people moaning about difficulty in a from soft game.

To be fair I haven't played the dlc yet but I can't believe it's so unfathomably difficult that it's unplayable.

I'm assuming some famous kid moaned and now everyone just following cause that's basically how things work these days
It is harder, but most ppl dont do what they need to do in order to "lower" the difficult, Bosses are way more agressive and the "three sentinel" of this DLC ll humble a lot of ppl.

StueyDuck

It is harder, but most ppl dont do what they need to do in order to "lower" the difficult, Bosses are way more agressive and the "three sentinel" of this DLC ll humble a lot of ppl.
I have no doubts it'll be difficult. That's just fromsoft dlc.

I just mean the organized movement on socials and on steam and by Journos etc.

We've never had a fromsoft game get bombed for difficulty before by those who play and enjoy the games.

When I try it I guess I'll see, don't have the time right now for something so expansive. I just feel there is a formula for beating fromsoft games. I'm surprised by now people don't know it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Got to be honest, from what I've played so far... I'm not terribly impressed with this.

The way they've built it, the only meaningful progression in the expansion is from the scadutree blessings and the revered ashes. Basically its a worse version of the morale system from Wo Long!
Its also very clearly got a lot of Dark Souls 3's DNA in it, relentlessly hyperactive mobs inside well designed but over-large and repetitive maps, and an ever present sense of familiarity and content recycling.

Don't get me wrong its not at all bad, its just not particularly compelling or exciting in my honest opinion... at least to begin with.

Shifty1897

I told my friend who loves Souls games and has played them all a million times this headline yesterday and he laughed. Then he got the final boss of the DLC today and agreed with the sentiment. He says he has a maxed out weapon and hits for 3% damage to the final boss, but he takes 3/4 of his life bar in a single hit from the boss, and if he gets combo'ed it's an instant game over.
If true.... That's hardcore even for a souls game.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I told my friend who loves Souls games and has played them all a million times this headline yesterday and he laughed. Then he got the final boss of the DLC today and agreed with the sentiment. He says he has a maxed out weapon and hits for 3% damage to the final boss, but he takes 3/4 of his life bar in a single hit from the boss, and if he gets combo'ed it's an instant game over.
If true.... That's hardcore even for a souls game.
The final boss makes malenia look piss easy.

lol

I bought it, played for an hour or so and started a new character Fallout 4. Not in the right mindset to relearn everything atm.

Fucking hell. Is it really that bad and I mean I've seen people posting to TikTok how they're getting curb stomped right off the bat but wow lol

Honestly don't think they should dial down the difficulty. We had the January 6th Capitol riots. We'll get another from Elden Ring fans.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Fucking hell. Is it really that bad and I mean I've seen people posting to TikTok how they're getting curb stomped right off the bat but wow lol

Honestly don't think they should dial down the difficulty. We had the January 6th Capitol riots. We'll get another from Elden Ring fans.
The only boss I think should’ve be tweaked is the final one.

I’m a 36 year old dad with two kids and I’ve soloed it all.

The final boss? There’s no fucking way unless it’s some hyper specific build. It shuts down 99% of anything in the game making it all useless.

It’s beyond dog shit game design. It’s a giant middle finger to all players.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The only boss I think should’ve be tweaked is the final one.

I’m a 36 year old dad with two kids and I’ve soloed it all.

The final boss? There’s no fucking way unless it’s some hyper specific build. It shuts down 99% of anything in the game making it all useless.

It’s beyond dog shit game design. It’s a giant middle finger to all players.

The moves seem very choreographed and easily dodgeable. I have seen no hit, naked runs using a wooden stick as the weapon. It is a boss that punishes you if you try to overextend your combos if you can't beat down the poise fast enough. You can't use super long wind up spells or very slow/heavy R2 hits with an ultra great sword. If you are heavy, but didn't build for health and defense, you will be punished.

creeping thru the dlc when I'm not at work and it's awesome

strange but... it somehow feels like playing elden ring for the first time, which is a nice surprise that I wouldnt have thought possible at lvl 150

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've not got around to the dlc yet. I'm trying to complete octopath traveller 2 first.

My son is currently playing it and he says it's amazing. He says its super tough but very rewarding.

Sounds amazing to me!

Top Bottom