• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
The new opening is the best one yet.

Agreed. I was like "oh this sounds different... again!" Glad to see that terrible ending song gone! The Mamaru song is pretty good. Not too much to say about thr ep itself, though.

With the show reaching its climax, I wonder how soon until we hear about season 4?

Agreed. I was like "oh this sounds different... again!" Glad to see that terrible ending song gone! The Mamaru song is pretty good. Not too much to say about thr ep itself, though.

With the show reaching its climax, I wonder how soon until we hear about season 4?

if we don't hear anything before the last episode airs? I'd wager they'll announce something on the 30th (Usagi's birthday, right?). I do wonder if there is enough positive buzz to get them Season 4, it'd be a shame if they didn't because I absolutely do love the changes they've made this season.

Pluto

I'm still a bit annoyed they decided to call their second season "Season 3" ... why Toei? It's not even a good title, it should have been Sailor Moon Crystal Infinity or something like that. When has an anime ever slapped a subtitle as lame as that on?

I hope they announce the dream arc soon but realistically I don't expect a formal announcement until the end of the year. Maybe we will get a hint like act 26 ending with "see you soon".

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know how well this is doing commercially?

What'd I'd like to see is an adaptation of Sailor V.

I actually have no idea how it's doing. I hope they keep this director going forward, though!

And yes, a Sailor V short series would be great!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Enough to justify its existence if only to act as a commercial for new merch.

I honestly haven't seen too much merch popping up, actually. There was an explosion before and during Crystal, and a lot has seemed to of calmed down, now. I need some more SH Figuarts though!

MikeMyers

I honestly haven't seen too much merch popping up, actually.
Same.

Though recently I changed my Facebook banner to something Sailor Moon-related and my co-workers recognized it. Kinda weird since they don't even watch anime and I wouldn't expect a non-anime fan to know about Sailor Moon.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Same.

Though recently I changed my Facebook banner to something Sailor Moon-related and my co-workers recognized it. Kinda weird since they don't even watch anime and I wouldn't expect a non-anime fan to know about Sailor Moon.

Sailor Moon is still one of those iconic images. Was never as big or recognizable as say, DBZ, but still enough that people know what it is without having ever seen it.

gconsole

The way the Holy Grail was created in the 90s anime was way better than a school project and the power of love or whatever.

Couldn't agree me. 90s anime creator did a great job adapting the story into its own version and re-arrange everything so it make sense and have more impact. And they give half of the season to show off new Sailor moon power rather than just rushing it into the end of the season like it does with the manga.

Have to say again, everything in manga, while more interesting in some parts, it is still too rush and not good for direct anime adaptation like this. Each villian die so fast and too easy. And lots of important event is just cramp into a single episode, make it a lot less impactful. Chibi usa power is not even important or useful for anything. And we freaking get Super Sailor Moon and Mistres 9 in the same episode. You know what I'mtalking about. While i love season 3 a lot lot more than first 2, it still feel too rush. Lots of story can take more time to develop...

I honestly haven't seen too much merch popping up, actually. There was an explosion before and during Crystal, and a lot has seemed to of calmed down, now. I need some more SH Figuarts though!

There's a ton of Sailor Moon merch at Hot Topic and Barnes and Nobles. I've been seeing her everywhere.

Really love this season - it's exactly what I imagined the series would be. They're doing an excellent job. Hell, someone should start a Kickstarter for them to re-do the first two seasons.

Submarine Reflection was so badass. Re: The Holy Grail, I do like how it was used in the 90's anime, being a momentary power-up that was unstable for Sailor Moon to control as the Grail was meant for Hotaru to control, and then Pegasus being the one that creates a brooch for Super Sailor Moon. I also loved the fact that Sailor Moon surrenders it and Mistress 9 destroys it. Really great demonstration of Usagi's selflessness.

But the Grail plays a big role as a symbol for the unity of the girls in the final manga arc - doesn't it also transform her into Eternal Sailor Moon?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
There's a ton of Sailor Moon merch at Hot Topic and Barnes and Nobles. I've been seeing her everywhere.

More on the Japan side of things. Since many anime are pretty much a commercial to buy figures and stuff for, that's partly how they base their sales on. I mean, Crystal on blu ray didn't sell too well in Japan, but the explosion of merch DID make them at least continue with the story, and put out a new season. However this season, I've barely seen Bandai etc put much out for it. Those sales often have much higher profit margin than stuff from Hot Topic, but then again I guess global merch sales do help too...

Have to say again, everything in manga, while more interesting in some parts, it is still too rush and not good for direct anime adaptation like this. Each villian die so fast and too easy. And lots of important event is just cramp into a single episode, make it a lot less impactful. Chibi usa power is not even important or useful for anything. And we freaking get Super Sailor Moon and Mistres 9 in the same episode. You know what I'mtalking about. While i love season 3 a lot lot more than first 2, it still feel too rush. Lots of story can take more time to develop...

Agreed. The original anime made Usagi's transformation into Super Sailor Moon feel massively important. Crystal S3, as much as I enjoy it, was disappointing in that the super transformation (and the Moon Chalice) just felt like little subplots to the weird pseudo-romance blossoming between Usagi and Haruka.

And I also wish they'd let the villains hang around a little longer. I absolutely adore the Amazon Trio, so I'm going to be super sad when
they eventually get OHKO'd in their respective episodes.

On a somewhat related note, when are they going to show Sailor Pluto's transformation?!?!?

Bladenic

Chronos Typhoon was amazing. :eek:
Submarine Reflection still the greatest though

Uh, you think? There was almost nothing to it, kind of like with Dead Scream. Pretty lame imo

I love how they straight the fuck up reused the exact episode 1 animation with a different shadow when Jupiter and Venus attacked daimon Kaolinite

Razmos

I can't get over demon Kaolinite's monster heels and long flowing hair lol. It's equal parts disturbing and hilarious

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon is still one of those iconic images. Was never as big or recognizable as say, DBZ, but still enough that people know what it is without having ever seen it.

I know it is one of the bigger anime's in the US, but I didn't expect non-anime fans to be aware of it.

Yeah I see quite a bit of SM shirts at Hot Topic now that I think about it.

MikeMyers

Yeah, I really like this ED theme. Favourite one so far.

I do miss Furuya though. Man made some great Mamoru themes in the original series.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny... as much as I really want them to announce the Dream Arc, I just want them to bypass that and get to the final arc :p Then again I remember enjoying the Dream Arc more in the manga, and it diverged more than ever when it became an anime.
So many more senshi announced! Who knew Rei's crows were guardiansn too?

It's funny... as much as I really want them to announce the Dream Arc, I just want them to bypass that and get to the final arc :p Then again I remember enjoying the Dream Arc more in the manga, and it diverged more than ever when it became an anime.
So many more senshi announced! Who knew Rei's crows were guardiansn too?

I think the Dream Arc is the best of the manga. Inner Senshi get time to shine, Outers get their moment, Super becomes Eternal Moon, Chibi gets her own guardians, weird backstory with Nehellenia and Queen Serenity knowing each other.

MikeMyers

For anyone that cares, it has been confirmed that there is a Hulu-exclusive deal in the US for this show, so it wont air on US TV anytime soon.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone that cares, it has been confirmed that there is a Hulu-exclusive deal in the US for this show, so it wont air on US TV anytime soon.

That's a shame. I only watch it subbed, but too bad for Toonami fans that would want to see it dubbed on tv. And adding a bigger audience and all that.

Pluto

That was such a good episode, I LOVED Mistress 9's warped face when she tried to break out of Hotaru's body, that was so creepy.

Razmos

That episode was gorgeous, the music was amazing. Tuxedo Mask and the Moon's attacks looked amazing, and Saturn's Transformation, oh my god

SaintZ

It's not a full henshin sequence but I'll take it ;______;

tumblr_o92tpbPAdD1s3wumuo5_500.gif
A bad bitch.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
That episode was gorgeous, the music was amazing. Tuxedo Mask and the Moon's attacks looked amazing, and Saturn's Transformation, oh my god
Too bad that Crystal has such a bad reputation among "fans". It's the real Sailor Moon.

KtSlime

Too bad that Crystal has such a bad reputation among "fans". It's the real Sailor Moon.
It's been pretty popular where I live. There's advertisements every block, and even an art gallery featuring the history of the media and merchandise including some new originals by Takeuchi herself.

Personally Season 3 solved most problems I had with Crystal.

Holy ****. This was the best episode of the entire series.

AMAZING animation.
Pluto's attack was BADASS.
The inners getting so much character development.
THE HELIOS TEASER AT THE END.

Seriously, the Dream Arc is my favorite and this episode proves why. I love how much time they devoted to setting the stage for the next season. What a ****ing perfect finale!!!

Stuart444

Really enjoyed it though that cliffhanger for the next season >_<.

Hope we get another season or 2 to finish off the manga completely.

asagami_

Banned
Holy ****. This was the best episode of the entire series.

AMAZING animation.
Pluto's attack was BADASS.
The inners getting so much character development.
THE HELIOS TEASER AT THE END.

Seriously, the Dream Arc is my favorite and this episode proves why. I love how much time they devoted to setting the stage for the next season. What a ****ing perfect finale!!!

What? Sounds amazing. Dream arc maybe is my favorite arc (Infinity was it... before I re-read it recently, still better than the first two), it's a funny arc and now the full group is complete the girls can interact better between each other.

btw, to people who have seen the original anime, and because I haven't seen beyond the middle of the Dark Kindgom arc, why many people dislike so much SuperS? It seems a common opinion, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom