• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung QLED vs Sony 4K LED TV Comparison (Upscaling, HDR, Game Mode)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Wonderful breakdown for the two TV's, bear in mind that we still need XH90 for full HDMI 2.1 support for better comparison in the game mode. X900H reviews are still not available, but keep an eye for it. This breakdown from an expert gives more details not shown by amateurs like DF in the TV field:

148857.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting.

Two of my favorite TVs last couple years were the Sammy Q8FN and the Sony x900F

Sammy TVs, in my experience, have had better input latency while Sony has had a slightly “richer” image.

Still thinking about getting a C9 tho even tho I’m happy with my TV now

Kuranghi

Really good video, very honest even though he's a big Sony fanboy at heart haha. Boys/Boyettes, don't buy Samsungs for gaming, unless you don't plan to use game mode. I love that he called out the haters saying his Q90R was broken lol, his hobby and job is to do this I doubt he would make the same mistake repeatedly.

Speaking of amateur TV advice I love when a general guide is like "This set has the lowest input lag so its best for gaming" and I'm like, cool but does the image look like shit though? Cool I don't want it then. If I wanted low input lag I would be buying a monitor, not a TV.

Or saying something like "This LG Nanocell TV with 7 dimming zones has the best colour because its IPS", and you see it and the black level is so bad you check to make sure the LCD stack hasn't become separated in transit.

The viewing angle on a certain size [49" or 50" maybe?] of Samsung NU7400 was so bad that I had 10+ people coming into my shop to tell me they returned it because they thought it was faulty lol.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Interesting.

Sammy TVs, in my experience, have had better input latency while Sony has had a slightly “richer” image.

What set do you currently have Chunky man?

edit - I regret changing my avatar because it looked like my Baby was facing off against Chunk's avatar, when are posts are consecutive, damn.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Interesting.

I have an LCD LG 4K and an LCD 4K HDR Sony. I love the color accuracy and details in the Sony quite a lot. Never tried Samsung but I tend to not like the over saturation nor color accuracy. It's still something that someone should decide according to what he needs. Even with the lack of HDMI 2.1, I would rather pick XH95, but with the confirmed HDMI 2.1 full support from Sony for the XH90, we should still wait and see how it will look like.

Really good video, very honest even though he's a big Sony fanboy at heart haha. Kids, don't buy Samsungs for gaming, unless you don't plan to use game mode.

Speaking of amateur TV advice I love when a general guide is like "This set has the lowest input lag so its best for gaming" and I'm like, cool but does the image look like shit though? Cool I don't want it then. If I wanted low input lag I would be buying a monitor, not a TV.

Or saying something like "This LG Nanocell TV with 7 dimming zones has the best colour because its IPS", and you see it and the black level is so bad you check to make sure the LCD stack hasn't become separated in transit.

The viewing angle on a certain size [49" or 50" maybe?] of Samsung NU7400 was so bad that I had 10+ people coming into my shop to tell me they returned it because they thought it was faulty lol.

Wonderful to have you on board, chief! Someone who works closely to those TV's ;) And yes, I would still trade the latency for better image quality, but as said above, we need to wait for XH90 (X900H) reviews with its full support for HDMI 2.1.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

x900F

Ended up sticking with it over the Q8FN tho I really liked that one too. Just seemed to have a better image to me (I’m not a TV expert tho)

Yeah, more depth to the image, better sharpness, a lot better motion if you have that stuff on. Are you using the X-Motion Clarity feature? Even if you don't like the motion stuff on its a must.

edit - to turn it on just go to settings > motion > then on the clearness slider set it to "1", do it on each HDMI input you use as its separate settings for each. Put up a really bright image with lots of white in it, maybe just a pure white screen. Then change "clearness" from 0 to 1 and watch the screen dim down for a second but then it should brighten back up, this will make motion more like the cinema and remove some of the blur created by your eyes, especially on low fps stuff.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Wonderful to have you on board, chief! Someone who works closely to those TV's ;) And yes, I would still trade the latency for better image quality, but as said above, we need to wait for XH90 (X900H) reviews with it's full support for HDMI 2.1.

Since it seems to be their "gaming" TV for this year: mid range price, HDMI 2.1, etc. I hope they put in some sort of Ultra Low Latency/Super Game Mode in the TV like what Samsung does for their game mode, with a warning saying "Yes this will degrade the IQ but you'll get the lowest input lag by using it", since that would please the peeps who are looking for a giant 4K@120hz screen and don't care about moderately degrading the image.

Those BFGDs are a fucking disgusting rip off for what you get, I think I saw one that almost competes with my TV and it was like five [5] grand for a 65" haha. Although they do have DisplayPort which is sweet, I think thats the main selling point: 4K@120hz. For the 1000 people on the earth who can achieve that res and fps without potato-mode ini edits or the game being from <2010 lol.

Last edited:

D-Dude

I am interested in the Sony X950g.. 65 inch, but it is still pricy in my country (NL) €1599 --> $1754 . Saw a lot of reviews about it, but like to know if someone from here has it, and if it is a good tv for say 5 years?

Kuranghi

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem I'd be up for making TV advice threads if you are into it.

I'm obviously a massive Sony fan but if someone told me they want Samsung or LG or Panasonic I'd still give you my honest advice about which model is best value/for their needs. I'm not fully up to speed on 2020 models yet but I have plenty of knowledge of all the four big brands set's from 2017-2020.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I am interested in the Sony X950g.. 65 inch, but it is still pricy in my country (NL) €1599 --> $1754 . Saw a lot of reviews about it, but like to know if someone from here has it, and if it is a good tv for say 5 years?

What will you connect to it? What type of content will you watch on it? Like movies, TV and/or gaming? Do you stream video from Netlfix and the like or prefer connecting a physical player?

edit - I'm watching a video in another tab but I'll be here for 15-20 mins if anyone wants to ask my advice. *Head expands to size of beachball and explodes due to arogance*. But seriously I'm passionate about it and can give you advice you can verify elsewhere.

Last edited:

D-Dude

What will you connect to it? What type of content will you watch on it? Like movies, TV and/or gaming? Do you stream video from Netlfix and the like or prefer connecting a physical player?

edit - I'm watching a video in another tab but I'll be here for 15-20 mins if anyone wants to ask my advice. *Head expands to size of beachball and explodes due to arogance*. But seriously I'm passionate about it and can give you advice you can verify elsewhere.

Well, it is going to be for next-gen gaming. So, new Xbox and Ps5. Combined with movies, and series, mostly streaming so Netflix, Cromecast. I will connect it with a soundbar, but in the future. I have a very good 5.1 DTS blu-ray set from Sony.

Kuranghi

Well, it is going to be for next-gen gaming. So, new Xbox and Ps5. Combined with movies, and series, mostly streaming so Netflix, Cromecast. I will connect it with a soundbar, but in the future. I have a very good 5.1 DTS blu-ray set from Sony.

I think its a great set, beautiful depth, colour, sharpness and motion. How desperate are you for a new set? If you plan to keep it for five years and will definitely buy PS5/XSX then I'd wait to see what Sony do in September this year and generally wait for HDMI 2.1. Even if they don't do anything in September and you still fancy XG95 you can buy an XH95 at Black Friday prices [Seems like XH95 is as good if not better than XG95 so far], which should be similar to 65XG95 right now. If you decide you need HDMI 2.1 then you could get an XH90 [which has full HDMI 2.1 ports] at Black Friday prices. Best case would be if they release a set with the specs of the XG95/XH95 but with HDMI 2.1 and you could get it for clearance prices in May/June 2021.

I don't think 4K@120hz will be a big factor in next-gen AT ALL at the start but who knows down the line, if you aren't in urgent need you might regret not waiting another year for some similar sets that have HDMI 2.1.

TL;DR - Wait til September if you aren't in urgent need and if you are then buy XG95 and don't look back, its an amazing set, I've studied it extensitively side-by-side with the XF90 in 55" and 65" and its a noticeable upgrade. So going with XH90 will get you HDMI 2.1 but the image quality won't be as good as XG95/XH95 - or possibly even not as good as XF90 but we need to have XH90 in hand to check what they have done with the X1 processor.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

lol checking the prices of these sets is cracking me up, 55XG95 is fucking £899 in the UK and 65XG95 is £1199! I used to have to sell these things at £1399 and £1899 lol. Barely anyone bought the 65" because the AG8 OLED was cheaper lol, I used to say but its not got as good processing though! But with side-by-sides with LCD and OLED 95% of people will pick the OLED even if the presentation is softer because OLED tech/dimming/contrast adds so much depth anyway.

Last edited:

D-Dude

lol checking the prices of these sets is cracking me up, 55XG95 is fucking £899 in the UK and 65XG95 is £1199! I used to have to sell these things at £1399 and £1899 lol. Barely anyone bought the 65" because the AG8 OLED was cheaper lol, I used to say but its not got as good processing though! But with side-by-sides with LCD and OLED 95% of people will pick the OLED even if the presentation is softer because OLED tech/dimming/contrast adds so much depth anyway.

I have looked at the C9 for numerous times, but I am afraid for burn in. Not from myself, but more my GF.. She tends to fall asleep when watching tv, or watch stuff with logo's. Or even sometimes games with huds. And the price is the same as the 65 Sony, but it is a55inch size. Not that much a problem, seeing I now have a 7 year old Samsung 3D TV 40 inch. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I have looked at the C9 for numerous times, but I am afraid for burn in. Not from myself, but more my GF.. She tends to fall asleep when watching tv, or watch stuff with logo's. Or even sometimes games with huds. And the price is the same as the 65 Sony, but it is a55inch size. Not that much a problem, seeing I now have a 7 year old Samsung 3D TV 40 inch. :messenger_sunglasses:

I wouldn't worry about falling asleep with OLED and burn-in, all major brands have auto shutoff if you don't touch the remote for X hours and if you need even more strick control Sony and Panasonic have great Pro/Hotel modes on their sets so you can do all sorts of customisation, not sure about LG there, I'd image it does though. Logo's are really a problem on 2019+ OLEDs afaik unless they are left on for literal days at a time with absolutely no breaks. I would take the chance on OLED given what you've said tbh, how much is 55AG8?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Since it seems to be their "gaming" TV for this year: mid range price, HDMI 2.1, etc. I hope they put in some sort of Ultra Low Latency/Super Game Mode in the TV like what Samsung does for their game mode, with a warning saying "Yes this will degrade the IQ but you'll get the lowest input lag by using it", since that would please the peeps who are looking for a giant 4K@120hz screen and don't care about moderately degrading the image.

Those BFGDs are a fucking disgusting rip off for what you get, I think I saw one that almost competes with my TV and it was like five [5] grand for a 65" haha. Although they do have DisplayPort which is sweet, I think thats the main selling point: 4K@120hz. For the 1000 people on the earth who can achieve that res and fps without potato-mode ini edits or the game being from <2010 lol.

It has, here:

148857.jpg

It has Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), and 4K@120Hz. The HDMI 2.1 chipset is there but it'll need later firmware update. Same with my current DX70, had to update it to have HDR. So no worries there.

The XH80 (X800H) is probably the input lag king, making around 9.4ms for 1080p at one test, and that's with HDMI 2.0 only. It'll be the low budget TV for PS5/XSX costumers who don't care much about local dimming.

148858.jpg

Starting at $599 for 43":

My current 2016 Sony 4K HDR 55" XD70 never had any issues like screen tearing, so I'm not sure if VRR is a necessity for most consumers. I hope to see XH90 reviews soon.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I wouldn't touch anything not HDMI 2.1, if you buy a TV without it and you plan to use a PS5/XBX, you will regret it within a year's time.

For hardcore gamers like us, yes, but trust me the majority aren't that much into details, that's why the likes of PS4 Pro is selling only 1:4 compared to the slim when launched side by side.

McHuj

I have a x950g now. I love this TV. However, I will be moving it to the bedroom and likely picking up a x900h for the gaming TV. Sony picture PQ is so much better than Samsung IMO.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem I'd be up for making TV advice threads if you are into it.

I'm obviously a massive Sony fan but if someone told me they want Samsung or LG or Panasonic I'd still give you my honest advice about which model is best value/for their needs. I'm not fully up to speed on 2020 models yet but I have plenty of knowledge of all the four big brands set's from 2017-2020.

Indeed, mate. It's great to have you around as you have more first-hand experience in the matter. Much appreciated.

I think you can getaway with an OLED, as long as you don't use your TV as a PC monitor as I do and spend endless hours on it beyond 24+ sometimes. Would say go for LG C9 not CX.

For a better money-to-size ratio, and burn-in-free headache, you might shoot for X900H (XH90) as plenty are really waiting for their reviews to hit youtube anytime soon as it's late to the 2020 Sony lineup party so far.

I just wish the Sony had the full HDMI 2.1 spec. Vincent is my go-to guy for tv stuff. Low key funny as hell also lol.

It's confirmed, it's official beyond doubts that XH90 will fully support HDMI 2.1.

I have a x950g now. I love this TV. However, I will be moving it to the bedroom and likely picking up a x900h for the gaming TV. Sony picture PQ is so much better than Samsung IMO.

Yup, you just can't stand something lower than that color accuracy when you taste it. To me it's very critical as I use my TV as a monitor and do photo/video editing with it and don't want any funny results when broadcasted on TV when I have some side job with them, or even youtube in that matter. Otherwise, I can say color accuracy might not be that important to most, it's the same why I still use Sony cellphones since 2005 as they are more raw and no gimmicks involved, although some had some color issues which is probably a software stuff. The new head was the head of the mirrorless cameras branch so nothing less than perfect is expected going on, except this Xperia 1ii delay.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think its a great set, beautiful depth, colour, sharpness and motion. How desperate are you for a new set? If you plan to keep it for five years and will definitely buy PS5/XSX then I'd wait to see what Sony do in September this year and generally wait for HDMI 2.1. Even if they don't do anything in September and you still fancy XG95 you can buy an XH95 at Black Friday prices [Seems like XH95 is as good if not better than XG95 so far], which should be similar to 65XG95 right now. If you decide you need HDMI 2.1 then you could get an XH90 [which has full HDMI 2.1 ports] at Black Friday prices. Best case would be if they release a set with the specs of the XG95/XH95 but with HDMI 2.1 and you could get it for clearance prices in May/June 2021.

I don't think 4K@120hz will be a big factor in next-gen AT ALL at the start but who knows down the line, if you aren't in urgent need you might regret not waiting another year for some similar sets that have HDMI 2.1.

TL;DR - Wait til September if you aren't in urgent need and if you are then buy XG95 and don't look back, its an amazing set, I've studied it extensitively side-by-side with the XF90 in 55" and 65" and its a noticeable upgrade. So going with XH90 will get you HDMI 2.1 but the image quality won't be as good as XG95/XH95 - or possibly even not as good as XF90 but we need to have XH90 in hand to check what they have done with the X1 processor.

It's a pretty interesting trade-off from XH95 to XH90 to go from X1 ultimate to X1. Never seen the difference in person though side-by-side. My current, 4 years old set is using X1 already, and quite happy with it. But X1 ultimate is the same processor used in their master lineup, 8K ones. If their 8K any cheaper I would've jumped for it. Can afford it if I squeez a bit, but better wait for microLED along with PS5 Pro for 8K.

Anyone says that 8K is a gimmick is having some vision issues, and anyone comparing 4K to 1080p is simply blind :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

Kuranghi

It's a pretty interesting trade-off from XH95 to XH90 to go from X1 ultimate to X1. Never seen the difference in person though side-by-side. My current, 4 years old set is using X1 already, and quite happy with it. But X1 ultimate is the same processor used in their master lineup, 8K ones. If their 8K any cheaper I would've jumped for it. Can afford it if I squeez a bit, but better wait for microLED along with PS5 Pro for 8K.

Anyone says that 8K is a gimmick is having some vision issues, and anyone comparing 4K to 1080p is simply blind :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

I just finished my no box run of Resident Evil 3 Remake downsampled from 6K [3840x2160 with 150% render res]@30hz, holy shazzbo its beautiful, can't even keep 30 fps in cutscenes when the camera goes really close a characters face but thats not too often and when I'm at 4K@60hz it drops to 30 in these same scenes so I just put up with it.

The NEST 2 lab looks so freaking "clean", apart from all the blood ofc.

Reply to bold text: The difference between X1 and X1E is more depth and better motion interpolation from my experience, when you go up to X1U the main difference is the detail retrieval and colour reproduction, its really brings out the fine detail and makes things look more accurate, I have this clip of a 4K HDR clip which has a closeup of a wildcat of some sort and its looks really nice on the AG8 (which has X1E) but when you see it next to AG9 [With X1U] you realise the nose wasn't really the right colour and was too grey and its like subtly pink on the AG9.

Most of the Sony demos [and now Samsung too] comes from this couple who shoots around the world in 8K - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYq-iAOSZBvoUxvfzwKIZWA - prob the best collection of 8K vids on youtube. A lot are 60fps as well so you need a GTX 1080ti/1650/1660 or RTX 20XX to decode them on the GPU, because they might be a bit much for old CPUs. Better to watch it on your TV's internal youtube app so you can get HDR without hassle. The part I was referring to above is at 52 seconds.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I just finished my no box run of Resident Evil 3 Remake downsampled from 6K [3840x2160 with 150% render res]@30hz, holy shazzbo its beautiful, can't even keep 30 fps in cutscenes when the camera goes really close a characters face but thats not too often and when I'm at 4K@60hz it drops to 30 in these same scenes so I just put up with it.

The NEST 2 lab looks so freaking "clean", apart from all the blood ofc.

Reply to bold text: The difference between X1 and X1E is more depth and better motion interpolation from my experience, when you go up to X1U the main difference is the detail retrieval and colour reproduction, its really brings out the fine detail and makes things look more accurate, I have this clip of a 4K HDR clip which has a closeup of a wildcat of some sort and its looks really nice on the AG8 (which has X1E) but when you see it next to AG9 [With X1U] you realise the nose wasn't really the right colour and was too grey and its like subtly pink on the AG9.

Most of the Sony demos [and now Samsung too] comes from this couple who shoots around the world in 8K - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYq-iAOSZBvoUxvfzwKIZWA - prob the best collection of 8K vids on youtube. A lot are 60fps as well so you need a GTX 1080ti/1650/1660 or RTX 20XX to decode them on the GPU, because they might be a bit much for old CPUs. Better to watch it on your TV's internal youtube app so you can get HDR without hassle. The part I was referring to above is at 52 seconds.

Wonderful insight on the differences, thanks again! I'm using a good PC with AMD 2700x and Radeon VII, which I personally starting to work around 4K@60fps production, 8-bit though. I'm still waiting for Sony to provide 4K@60fps 10-bit like the next a7s mark 3 or the next a7 mark 4. Currently using the DJI osmo pocket and Phantom pro 4. I make 4K@60fps as a standard to me for nature videography going forward as it makes a much cleaner image while movement is there, but it's very tricky to avoid minor shakes when it's windy or handheld as it's more visible at 60fps than 30-24fps. I was gambling with the drone here with +500m and -500m altitude from my spot (both max).:messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I just wish the Sony had the full HDMI 2.1 spec. Vincent is my go-to guy for tv stuff. Low key funny as hell also lol.

Vincent is a God at tv calibration. I was going to get the x900h butt my boy at Sony said that hdmi 2.1 will be added later. So I'll wait for ces 21

Last edited:

MacReady13

x900F

Ended up sticking with it over the Q8FN tho I really liked that one too. Just seemed to have a better image to me (I’m not a TV expert tho)

I purchased the x900f and had nothing but issues from day 1. For some reason my tv had a constant loop of the ANDROID symbol and wouldn't come out of it unless I hard booted the tv. I had to get a Sony tech out and he replaced the board inside the TV and no issues since! It is now my lounge tv and I have a LG CX 55" and it is sensational! The Sony looks stunning too, but for future proofing I HAD to get the CX!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Vincent is a God 8n tv calibration. I was going to get the x900h butt my boy at Sony said that hdmi 2.1 will be added later. So I'll wait for ces 21

Hear it from Vincent himself. X900H already has HDMI 2.1 chipset, but need a firmware probably after they callobrate it with both PS5/XSX then it'll be updated to take advantage of it. My XD70 had no HDR when I bought it, but was HDR-ready, so first thing I made after buying it I updated it then it worked! So don't worry, and here Vincent being the first to talk about HDMI 2.1 in X900H right after CES 2020:

It's already official:

148857.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
yup, this absolutely. that's why I waited. get that hdmi 2.1 people if you are going nextgen

I could see Sony advertising/bundling PS5's with XH80, XH90 by holiday 2020, buying them on black friday, or any other TV, or when 2020 models go for clearance by 2021 are the best times to pick them.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Neither of those are OLEDs. Are we gonna make a thread about the best horse & buggy now, too?

Well, that's why, this is for those that torture their TV's with endless hours of usage and don't wanna babysit them to avoid burn-ins.

OLED's still provide the perfect image, but it's not everyone's goal to have a TV that needs more attention to keep or not sure about their longevity, a tech that will be left behind again with microLED comes in 4-5 years (or even earlier?). It's funny that microLED, the ultimate future tech, is LCD-based. LG itself would drop current OLED panels as those would hit beyond 4,000-nits instead of barely 600-nits of OLED's that's below current/previous HDR standards (1,000-nits):

If you could manage and your usage is reasonable, then go for OLED and enjoy it, but everyone gotta pick what suits his/her needs.

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Well, that's why, this is for those that torture their TV's with endless hours of usage and don't wanna babysit them to avoid burn-ins.

Please avoid having children because you have to babysit them. Don't have pets because you have to clean up after them.

See how this sounds?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Please avoid having children because you have to babysit them. Don't have pets because you have to clean up after them.

See how this sounds?

Have you tried working on your PC more than 12+ hours straight? Or lets say beyond 24 hours? Or gaming that way during weekends/holidays? Well, everybody needs something different, and OLED sales are still tiny:

In 2019, LCD TV sets are estimated to make up 96.7 percent of the entire TV market worldwide. TV sets using the newer display technologies QLED and OLED are expected to see growing market presence in 2019, with shares of 1.7 and 1.6 percent respectively.

I have a baby and would get more as well, they are not some tools I buy from some store, and it sounds stupid, with all due respect. If you don't like LCD tech, you may as well proceed to another thread and enjoy something you like.

Last edited:
Hear it from Vincent himself. X900H already has HDMI 2.1 chipset, but need a firmware probably after they callobrate it with both PS5/XSX then it'll be updated to take advantage of it. My XD70 had no HDR when I bought it, but was HDR-ready, so first thing I made after buying it I updated it then it worked! So don't worry, and here Vincent being the first to talk about HDMI 2.1 in X900H right after CES 2020:

It's already official:

148857.jpg

The x900h situation is kind of bizarre.

its said to have the same x1 chip as the x900e, yet is 2.1 capable. We really can’t predict how it will perform.

one thing I’ll say, if it has a significantly lower peak brightness than 950g/h, ala the x900e, it may end up having much less blooming and better uniformity making it better than the step up 950 h which is funny.

I’m keeping my eye out for it. But what I really am interested in is the Sony a9h oled which will have a new chipset and 120hz bfi 👌

Ban Puncher

I'm interested to see the X900H put through it paces when it drops, especially since the A9H OLED scheduled for later this year has been delayed into 2021.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The x900h situation is kind of bizarre.

its said to have the same x1 chip as the x900e, yet is 2.1 capable. We really can’t predict how it will perform.

one thing I’ll say, if it has a significantly lower peak brightness than 950g/h, ala the x900e, it may end up having much less blooming and better uniformity making it better than the step up 950 h which is funny.

I’m keeping my eye out for it. But what I really am interested in is the Sony a9h oled which will have a new chipset and 120hz bfi 👌

Another year of wait for let's say CES 2021 won't hurt as well, I think HDMI 2.1 will be just the standard.

And about the local dimming, can you totally turn it off? It might even improve input lag further. I would prefer grayish overall blacks over funny blooming effects. Must see it myself though.

Another year of wait for let's say CES 2021 won't hurt as well, I think HDMI 2.1 will be just the standard.

And about the local dimming, can you totally turn it off? It might even improve input lag further. I would prefer grayish overall blacks over funny blooming effects. Must see it myself though.
You can turn it off, but trust me you don’t want to. The local dimming on high on x900e looks fantastic, combined with its 120hz bfi.
I would turn off smooth gradation and any other processing however, it significantly reduced lag.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You can turn it off, but trust me you don’t want to. The local dimming on high on x900e looks fantastic, combined with its 120hz bfi.
I would turn off smooth gradation and any other processing however, it significantly reduced lag.

I understand that there are still some stuff going on even on game mode, so turning them off would aid for better input lag as well? But seems most/all reviewers to bother to do so.

Riven326

Banned
The Sony X950G is brilliant. The big advantage is color accuracy out of the box. It's always been pretty good on Sony televisions. But 950 is remarkable according to Rtings. Samsung color accuracy has always been mediocre to just straight up bad. I never consider buying their televisions anymore. It's either Sony or Vizio for me.

My 2016 4k Vizio is still going strong. Awesome tv for 500 bucks. Great color accuracy out of the box. Stunning contrast due to the VA panel. Better input lag than any of the newer LED tv's. I'm tempted to upgrade to the Sony. But I think I might just wait for an exceptional OLED that ticks all the right boxes before I make to the plunge.

For reference:

Last edited:
Top Bottom