• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung QLED vs Sony 4K LED TV Comparison (Upscaling, HDR, Game Mode)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The Sony X950G is brilliant. The big advantage is color accuracy out of the box. It's always been pretty good on Sony televisions. But 950 is remarkable according to Rtings. Samsung color accuracy has always been mediocre to just straight up bad. I never consider buying their televisions anymore. It's either Sony or Vizio for me.

Sony states here:

Optimized PlayStation™ graphics
See your PlayStation™ graphics as only a Sony TV can display. The brilliant picture quality of a Sony TV shows the images as the developers intended.

148885.jpg

Didn't try too many 4K TV's, but so far on my old 2016 Sony XD70 colors and visibility is as good as I've seen so far from my narrow, first hand experience. Samsung tend to crush blacks, and LG LCD's, same goes with TCL. That's why tempering down the local dimming at least (low/mid/high) would be good for gamers on any TV. (Vizio is not available outside the US market, I think, so we don't have it)

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
Dammit, now I have two choices...
x950G and the LGc9...
The LG is OLED. The Sony is cheaper and still offers exceptional contrast levels. Personally, I prefer better color accuracy out of the box and would go with the Sony myself. But it's up to you of course.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Dammit, now I have two choices...
x950G and the LGc9...

X900H is expected to have good blacks due to being VA screen, aiming for 65-75" myself as it might get thrown to the living room when microLED's hit the market. Older TV's? Give them to a family member or a friend, or donate them ;)

Last edited:
I understand that there are still some stuff going on even on game mode, so turning them off would aid for better input lag as well? But seems most/all reviewers to bother to do so.
When reviewers list game lag, they seem to use the default game mode I.e. leaving smooth gradation and motion settings on.

turning them off will give you lower numbers than what rtings suggests.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
When reviewers list game lag, they seem to use the default game mode I.e. leaving smooth gradation and motion settings on.

turning them off will give you lower numbers than what rtings suggests.

I think the smooth gradation is related to sky banding? And about the motion settings, what negatives would any of those result in case you turn them off?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony states here:

Optimized PlayStation™ graphics
See your PlayStation™ graphics as only a Sony TV can display. The brilliant picture quality of a Sony TV shows the images as the developers intended.

148885.jpg

Didn't try too many 4K TV's, but so far on my old 2016 Sony XD70 colors and visibility is as good as I've seen so far from my narrow, first hand experience. Samsung tend to crush blacks, and LG LCD's, same goes with TCL. That's why tempering down the local dimming at least (low/mid/high) would be good for gamers on any TV. (Vizio is not available outside the US market, I think, so we don't have it)

Kind of confirms VRR in the PS5, doesn't it? Considering they are working closer with all their entertainment properties (which was announced would happen a couple of years ago), and VRR (and ALLM) is outlined in the 2.1 spec for their 900H set.

The dude in the OP as well does amazing work. Watch his YouTube often, between him and rtings.com.

DF is amateur hour in comparison when it comes to tech such as this.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Kind of confirms VRR in the PS5, doesn't it? Considering they are working closer with all their entertainment properties (which was announced would happen a couple of years ago), and VRR is outlined in the 2.1 spec for their 900H set.

The dude in the OP as well does amazing work. Watch his YouTube often, between him and rtings.com.

DF is amateur hour in comparison when it comes to tech such as this.

Yup, along with ALLM and all HDMI 2.1 goodies. X900H is kinda late at this point, but glad it's official.

I think the smooth gradation is related to sky banding? And about the motion settings, what negatives would any of those result in case you turn them off?
Yes it smooths away banding, but it also scrubs away fine details. Combined with an input lag hit, I think the setting should be off.

no negative at all. The bfi setting is the only one you should leave on and it adds no lag. Sony has the setting under “clearness”.

Riven326

Banned
X900H is expected to have good blacks due to being VA screen, aiming for 65-75" myself as it might get thrown to the living room when microLED's hit the market. Older TV's? Give them to a family member or a friend, or donate them ;)
Yes. My only concern with the 950H is if the smaller models will feature the nerfed VA panels that were on the larger 950G models. It's not really a nerf, I forget the,technical name. But what it's intended to do is enable VA panel tv's to be viewed at wider angles. It's an attempt to solve the VA problem of having lower contrast when viewed off center.

This technique apparently succeeds. But there is a drawback. Contrast levels are effected and are lower than standard VA panels. The 950G 55 inch display has a greater contrast level than it's 65 and 75 inch counterparts.

I for one don't want to sacrifice contrast for wider viewing angels. So I'm skeptical about the 950H. I'm still waiting for the Rtings review.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yup, along with ALLM and all HDMI 2.1 goodies. X900H is kinda late at this point, but glad it's official.

I just edited in ALLM as you quoted me, lol. Also says coming later in a firmware update, so you know it's going to coincide with the PS5 as they are probably testing and tuning it right now with the devkits.

I'm just shocked that the X1 4KHDR processor is going to have the 2.1 spec, but the X1 Ultimate will not in the 950H, but I won't complain. This is probably a first year thing, and they are offering it on the better priced set for gamer's in mind it seems.

900H or a CX... Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

D-Dude

The LG is OLED. The Sony is cheaper and still offers exceptional contrast levels. Personally, I prefer better color accuracy out of the box and would go with the Sony myself. But it's up to you of course.

It is more a budget thing.. The Oled is 1399€ for 55 inch.. The X950G is 1199€ The X900H is expected to be even more here in the Netherlands.. plus the C9 has HDMI 2.1... for that price, but the worry of burn in.

Hmm..choices

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
It is more a budget thing.. The Oled is 1399€ for 55 inch.. The X950G is 1199€ The X900H is expected to be even more here in the Netherlands.. plus the C9 has HDMI 2.1... for that price, but the worry of burn in.

Hmm..choices
HDMI 2.1 is not important to the average user. Or at least it shouldn't be. It's nice to have the latest and greatest, don't get me wrong. But the vast majority of features are convenience features that don't really impact performance. The 2.1 spec will have a greater impact when 8k televisions begin to go mainstream.

The 2.0 spec does everything and you don't have to buy new cables or a new tv to enjoy it. My Vizio is a 4k set with HDMI 1.4 ports. It achieved 4k/60hz by using the YUV420 color space instead of RGB. Pretty neat little trick. Less bandwidth going down the cable while achieving the same visual result.

Most of it is just marketing hype. They don't make any money if you don't but their new tv with all the bells and whistles. Remember 3D televisions? Yeah. Lol.

D-Dude

Well, I had a talk with the gf, she is even more afraid of OLED, more because of our habbits and our son. So, I am going for the X950G, but still thinking about a soundbar. I never care about the tvsound, I always buy a sound set.

Is Dolby Vision really a gamechanger btw? And the sd upscaler, does it upscale older series on Netflix alswell? Like Star Trek etc..

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes it smooths away banding, but it also scrubs away fine details. Combined with an input lag hit, I think the setting should be off.

no negative at all. The bfi setting is the only one you should leave on and it adds no lag. Sony has the setting under “clearness”.

Great details, mate. Thanks a lot. 🙌

Yes. My only concern with the 950H is if the smaller models will feature the nerfed VA panels that were on the larger 950G models. It's not really a nerf, I forget the,technical name. But what it's intended to do is enable VA panel tv's to be viewed at wider angles. It's an attempt to solve the VA problem of having lower contrast when viewed off center.

This technique apparently succeeds. But there is a drawback. Contrast levels are effected and are lower than standard VA panels. The 950G 55 inch display has a greater contrast level than it's 65 and 75 inch counterparts.

I for one don't want to sacrifice contrast for wider viewing angels. So I'm skeptical about the 950H. I'm still waiting for the Rtings review.

Yeah the VA screen can be a problem if I put it later in the living room when buying a newer TV, but I should see it in person first as I would only need minor viewing angle, if it's fine then I'll go for it.

By the way, X950H won't have HDMI 2.1 if that's something you seek, only X900H will fully support it, but not sure how many ports out of 4 would.

I just edited in ALLM as you quoted me, lol. Also says coming later in a firmware update, so you know it's going to coincide with the PS5 as they are probably testing and tuning it right now with the devkits.

I'm just shocked that the X1 4KHDR processor is going to have the 2.1 spec, but the X1 Ultimate will not in the 950H, but I won't complain. This is probably a first year thing, and they are offering it on the better priced set for gamer's in mind it seems.

900H or a CX... Decisions, decisions.

Well, CX won't fully support HDMI 2.1, unlike C9, the older model. It'll be capped at 40Mbps instead of 48Mbps. How much would that effect it? Not sure, it only means you can't send 12-bit color, which is critical for who uses PC's to edit raw 12-bit photos or raw 12-bit videos. Overall, it means less color depth. Shouldn't worry consolers somehow, Fomo on the matter:

HDMI 2.1 is not important to the average user. Or at least it shouldn't be. It's nice to have the latest and greatest, don't get me wrong. But the vast majority of features are convenience features that don't really impact performance. The 2.1 spec will have a greater impact when 8k televisions begin to go mainstream.

The 2.0 spec does everything and you don't have to buy new cables or a new tv to enjoy it. My Vizio is a 4k set with HDMI 1.4 ports. It achieved 4k/60hz by using the YUV420 color space instead of RGB. Pretty neat little trick. Less bandwidth going down the cable while achieving the same visual result.

Most of it is just marketing hype. They don't make any money if you don't but their new tv with all the bells and whistles. Remember 3D televisions? Yeah. Lol.

Quite true, don't need to upgrade beyond 4K HDR HDMI 2.0 if you already own it if you don't have the luxury to spend for a new TV. Overall, there is no perfect TV around until we get the eagerly-awaited microLED tech that combines the insane blacks of OLED's with the reliability of LCD's with eye-melting 4,000-nits brightness for optimal HDR picture years later from now, probably when PS5 Pro hits the market in 2023-2024.

I nearly spent $3,900 on Samsung Q900R 8K 65" on sale, as they say. Seen some 8K footage and it was mind-blowing how sharp it is as it's 33.2 megapixels compared to 8.2MP for the 4K. Saw some parts of a friendly match between Manchester United vs Inter Milan in 8K, don't ever let anyone tell you that 8K isn't a noticeable upgrade over 4K, but it's still not worth it yet. If I can buy Sony's 8K I would, but I'm still not ready to spend that insane amount of money on a tv.

Well, I had a talk with the gf, she is even more afraid of OLED, more because of our habbits and our son. So, I am going for the X950G, but still thinking about a soundbar. I never care about the tvsound, I always buy a sound set.

Is Dolby Vision really a gamechanger btw? And the sd upscaler, does it upscale older series on Netflix alswell? Like Star Trek etc..

Seems like Dolby Vision is still better than HDR10+ of the samsung according to this test, and with Sony running around with it you might get left out if PS5/XSX support it, as Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision.

X950G should be a great TV, but it's HDMI 2.0 and last year model. Better wait for X900H (XH90) and see how it looks like, or grab the X950G or the newer X950H on sale if console and general movie/tv usage is your goal. X800H has no local dimming and pretty cheap and has probably the best input lag to date, even without HDMI 2.0, and starts at $600 USD for the 43" model.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, CX won't fully support HDMI 2.1, unlike C9, the older model. It'll be capped at 40Mbps instead of 48Mbps. How much would that effect it? Not sure, it only means you can't send 12-bit color, which is critical for who uses PC's to edit raw 12-bit photos or raw 12-bit videos. Overall, it means less color depth. Shouldn't worry consolers somehow, Fomo on the matter:

The LG OLEDs are only 10bit panels, so they don't need a full bandwidth for the 12bit. I don't know of any 12bit panels for LCD or OLED outside of select 8K models I believe. The 40Mbps will be plenty fine for gaming and movies.

I just wish the 900H came in a 49" model like it does for the 950H.

I will either go with the 48CX (if prices dip to the $999-$1200USD sweet spot for size) or hold off until 2021 when there is wider adoption for Sony.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The LG OLEDs are only 10bit panels, so they don't need a full bandwidth for the 12bit. I don't know of any 12bit panels for LCD or OLED outside of select 8K models I believe. The 40Mbps will be plenty fine for gaming and movies.

I just wish the 900H came in a 49" model like it does for the 950H.

I will either go with the 48CX (if prices dip to the $999-$1200USD sweet spot for size) or hold off until 2021 when there is wider adoption for Sony.

We still can't say, PS4 Pro seems to already support 10-bit for the old HDR10, Dolby Vision is 12-bit which is more than likely to be supported on both PS5 and XSX. That limitation might be a problem, like the limitation of HDMI 2.0:

uo17o4p0jfky.png

It's a must for a better HDR performance. OLED's are already lacking proper 1,000-nits to meet current HDR standards for movies, at least, except Panasonic OLED.

I would advice to buy the console first and wait and learn more before buying CX, you can always get it on sale on 2021 at least.

HDR10+ only supports 10-bit by the way for Samsung buyers to be aware:

Dolby Vision offers 12-bit color while HDR10+ sticks to 10-bit color. And, while HDR10+ boasts 4,000 nits of brightness, up from HDR10's 1,000 nits, Dolby Vision still offers up to 10,000 nits. here are no consumer TVs on the market that support 12-bit color. Consumer TVs also top out at 4,000 nits of brightness.

Put in mind that article is since 2018.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
$3,900 on sale? Jesus Christ. I spent $500 for my 50 inch Vizio in 2017 and I thought that was pricey.

That means buying it with the whole vacation budget at that time and going back home and staying at home until next salary comes. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Glad I didn't do it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We still can't say, PS4 Pro seems to already support 10-bit for the old HDR10, Dolby Vision is 12-bit which is more than likely to be supported on both PS5 and XSX. That limitation might be a problem, like the limitation of HDMI 2.0:

uo17o4p0jfky.png

It's a must for a better HDR performance. OLED's are already lacking proper 1,000-nits to meet current HDR standards for movies, at least, except Panasonic OLED.

I would advice to buy the console first and wait and learn more before buying CX, you can always get it on sale on 2021 at least.

HDR10+ only supports 10-bit by the way for Samsung buyers to be aware:

Dolby Vision offers 12-bit color while HDR10+ sticks to 10-bit color. And, while HDR10+ boasts 4,000 nits of brightness, up from HDR10's 1,000 nits, Dolby Vision still offers up to 10,000 nits. here are no consumer TVs on the market that support 12-bit color. Consumer TVs also top out at 4,000 nits of brightness.

Put in mind that article from 2018.

I think I might be holding off on the set and getting the console first as you said. I have a Sony 4K now, so I can wait to see what’s in store for CES around the corner just after the consoles launch.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think I might be holding off on the set and getting the console first as you said. I have a Sony 4K now, so I can wait to see what’s in store for CES around the corner just after the consoles launch.

That'll be the safest bet. To me it's either getting X900H (XH90), or waiting for the new lineup after CES 2021. 2016 Sony's HDR 4K XD70 55" is still doing a decent job, IPS panel by the way. I wanted to upgrade to 8K, but it's wiser to wait for mircoLED to spend big when HDMI 3.0 might be there with much higher bandwidth. Sony's 8K lineup is just too expensive right now.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That'll be the safest bit. To me it's either getting X900H (XH90), or waiting for the new lineup after CES 2021. 2016 Sony's HDR 4K XD70 55" is still doing a decent job, IPS panel by the way. I wanted to upgrade to 8K, but it's wiser to wait for mircoLED to spend big when HDMI 3.0 might be there with much higher bandwidth. Sony's 8K lineup is just too expensive right now.

Yeah I have the 2016 8 series 4K IPS that still looks fantastic.

Itching to upgrade for this coming gen.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah I have the 2016 8 series 4K IPS that still looks fantastic.

Itching to upgrade for this coming gen.

And we blame women for their shopping habits, and yet we spend a lot more on cars, PC's, and other hobbies. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: I have the habit of buying a new TV with every new PS, or mid-gen refresh. So for the rest, it's not really a necessity, it's more like what PC gamers do or car enthusiasts. Problem is having a wide variety of habits:messenger_fearful:

Last edited:
I think if the a8h has 20ms of input lag on default game mode, I’ll upgrade to that. The a9g is on sale, but it only has 60hz bfi and also barely less lag than the 900e, so that’s kind of a downgrade even at least in motion resolution.

the x900h would be a consideration if it had at least 90 dimming zones but I’m sure it will be the same 48 zones it’s been since x900e. Input lag and uniformity will be interesting to see on this set.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
I think if the a8h has 20ms of input lag on default game mode, I’ll upgrade to that. The a9g is on sale, but it only has 60hz bfi and also barely less lag than the 900e, so that’s kind of a downgrade even at least in motion resolution.

the x900h would be a consideration if it had at least 90 dimming zones but I’m sure it will be the same 48 zones it’s been since x900e.
Yeah. There really isn't a set so far that ticks all the boxes for me. It's why I'm waiting.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, im going to be buying the LG CX 55" OLED this summer. It's currently $1800 but will be selling my 43" Sony X800D 4K HDR TV for $300 (it cost me $650 in September 2016) so that will lower the overall cost to $1500.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Tvs have really stagnated since 2017!

It's amazing that OLED's has resurrected recently and LCD seems to be going strong up to the upcoming microLED, which is us using a microLED backlight for every dot, allowing it to produce the same infinite blacks of OLED's by shutting down completely, illuminating the LCD panel.

There is still a trick that Sony's new LCD reference monitor is using to reach near OLED blacks by some strange blocking methods I didn't fully understand, as Sony dropped OLED for it's reference monitor, the Godfather of TV's :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Personally, im going to be buying the LG CX 55" OLED this summer. It's currently $1800 but will be selling my 43" Sony X800D 4K HDR TV for $300 (it cost me $650 in September 2016) so that will lower the overall cost to $1500.

Well, good luck! Since C9/B9, the burn-in issues seem to be lessened, although there are some annoying nerfing happens on some bright sceneries on HDR when reaching 600-nits to protect it.

Just put an automatic timer so when you forget to close it for like more than 4-6 hours on a pause menu by sleeping or suddenly going out to get something. Avoid using the PC on it for long hours with static bars/images, set the PC to black screen when untouched for sometime.

Last edited:
It's amazing that OLED's has resurrected recently and LCD seems to be going strong up to the upcoming microLED, which is us using a microLED backlight for every dot, allowing it to produce the same infinite blacks of OLED's by shutting down completely, illuminating the LCD panel.

There is still a trick that Sony's new LCD reference monitor is using to reach near OLED blacks by some strange blocking methods I didn't fully understand, as Sony dropped OLED for it's reference monitor, the Godfather of TV's :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

The Sony mastering monitor is now a dual cell lcd. Hisense has a dual cell lcd in China and Panasonic has something similar as well.

Were Sony to offer a consumer dual cell lcd I would definitely buy that over oled. The only concern is viewing angle... it basically is one lcd layer for black and white on/off and a traditional lcd later in front.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The Sony mastering monitor is now a dual cell lcd. Hisense has a dual cell lcd in China and Panasonic has something similar as well.

Were Sony to offer a consumer dual cell lcd I would definitely buy that over oled. The only concern is viewing angle... it basically is one lcd layer for black and white on/off and a traditional lcd later in front.

Yes! It might even rival both microLED and OLED in black levels, durability, and probably price? Would still be problematic for wider angle if like put in a living room. Interesting stuff, and glad that they're not sitting and waiting, they're trying to do something with what's available now.

On newer Sony TV's local dimming doesn't add input lag and is on in all sites calibrated game settings.

Good to know, thanks for the details.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem i think sony won’t bring dual layer to the consumer market, for the same reason their lcds are stagnant. The issue is price and r&d cost. Hollywood complained about burn in on the oled monitor haha

In Sony’s mind, if you want perfect blacks you get an oled. It’s why they stopped caring about advancing lcds after the z9d. It’s cheaper for them to just buy oled panels.

Ill have to settle for oled and get that burn in warranty! 😁

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem i think sony won’t bring dual layer to the consumer market, for the same reason their lcds are stagnant. The issue is price and r&d cost. Hollywood complained about burn in on the oled monitor haha

In Sony’s mind, if you want perfect blacks you get an oled. It’s why they stopped caring about advancing lcds after the z9d. It’s cheaper for them to just buy oled panels.

Ill have to settle for oled and get that burn in warranty! 😁

For me, a person who once played for 51 hours non stop (skipped work for 2 days and got salary penalty for it :messenger_winking_tongue: ) when MGS5 came, and spending at least 8-12 hours on PC while using it through the TV, OLED might not be for me. For most normal people to play games and other usual tv uses like netflix and so, I think OLED is still a solid contender but needs more awareness.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Will, good luck! Since C9/B9, the burn-in issues seem to be lessened, although there are some annoying nerfing happens on some bright sceneries on HDR when reaching 600-nits to protect it.

Just put an automatic timer so when you forget to close it for like more than 4-6 hours on a pause menu by sleeping or suddenly going out to get something. Avoiding using the PC on it for long hours with static bards/images, set the PC to black screen when untouched for sometime.

Thanks. I'm not a PC gamer whatsoever so anything PC related won't affect me. I can guarantee that I won't leave the screen "static" for more than a few minutes if that. Worse case scenario, I just keep the game paused but turn off the TV.

One thing is certain, im super hyped!!!

Great Hair

Banned
Are you Dracula, roaming the streets at night? If the answer is yes, get an OLED

Bright Daytime, HDR content?

Sony LED (best for sports, live content, films, color accuracy, blooming issues, 24p no stutter, best motion/upscaling + just ok gaming)

Samsung QLED (HDR 1500, gaming, wrong colors, crushed details, very bright, best HDR image with wrong colors)

Main concerns based on my research, various forums:

OLED TVs
  • weak nits output under 800
  • weak HDR image
  • weak HDR content for 1500 to 4000 (no TV out there capable of supporting that)
  • requires lots of tonemapping ("downrender" HDR 1500nits film/scene like many explosions to whatever your OLED is capable of, can cause problems)
  • Best blacks, sometimes too black eating detail, best contrast, best TV for SDR content

QLED, LED LCD
  • Blooming issues VA panel only?
  • banding issues?
  • very bright from 1000 to 2500 nits
  • calibrated best HDR image during the day
  • bright room tv
  • weak with dark films
  • play Mario games on QLED, Final Doom on OLED
  • weak during night time

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Are you Dracula, roaming the streets at night? If the answer is yes, get an OLED

Bright Daytime, HDR content?

Sony LED (best for sports, live content, films, color accuracy, blooming issues, 24p no stutter, best motion/upscaling + just ok gaming)

Samsung QLED (HDR 1500, gaming, wrong colors, crushed details, very bright, best HDR image with wrong colors)

Main concerns based on my research, various forums:

OLED TVs
  • weak nits output under 800
  • weak HDR image
  • weak HDR content for 1500 to 4000 (no TV out there capable of supporting that)
  • requires lots of tonemapping ("downrender" HDR 1500nits film/scene like many explosions to whatever your OLED is capable of, can cause problems)
  • Best blacks, sometimes too black eating detail, best contrast, best TV for SDR content

QLED, LED LCD
  • Blooming issues VA panel only?
  • banding issues?
  • very bright from 1000 to 2500 nits
  • calibrated best HDR image during the day
  • bright room tv
  • weak with dark films
  • play Mario games on QLED, Final Doom on OLED
  • weak during night time

That intro though :messenger_tears_of_joy: Yes, it you tend to play/use your tv in a very dark room then OLED is the way to go. Banding is an issue with OLED's as well, but you might be meaning uniformity issues that some low end LCD's like LG LCD suffer from after some time (LG doesn't make its LCD panels). With full array that's not an issue or some brands like Sony and Samsung, I think.

Overall, seems like a great summary.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
living in japan, samsung is not even out here. from south korea only LG is allowed to sell

Wow, any idea why is that? Any other Samsung products around though? Sony had beef with Samsung when they bought Vaio, which was associated with Sony's laptops and based in South Korea, then simply shut it down!

I know Samsung can do nasty stuff like sending trucks full of pennies to Apple :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

when-apple-sued-samsung-samsung-paid-1-05-billion-to-apple-8300647.png

D-Dude

Great details, mate. Thanks a lot. 🙌

Yeah the VA screen can be a problem if I put it later in the living room when buying a newer TV, but I should see it in person first as I would only need minor viewing angle, if it's fine then I'll go for it.

By the way, X950H won't have HDMI 2.1 if that's something you seek, only X900H will fully support it, but not sure how many ports out of 4 would.

Quite true, don't need to upgrade beyond 4K HDR HDMI 2.0 if you already own it if you don't have the luxury to spend for a new TV. Overall, there is no perfect TV around until we get the eagerly-awaited microLED tech that combines the insane blacks of OLED's with the reliability of LCD's with eye-melting 4,000-nits brightness for optimal HDR picture years later from now, probably when PS5 Pro hits the market in 2023-2024.

I nearly spent $3,900 on Samsung Q900R 8K 65" on sale, as they say. Seen some 8K footage and it was mind-blowing how sharp it is as it's 33.2 megapixels compared to 8.2MP for the 4K. Saw some parts of a friendly match between Manchester United vs Inter Milan in 8K, don't ever let anyone tell you that 8K isn't a noticeable upgrade over 4K, but it's still not worth it yet. If I can buy Sony's 8K I would, but I'm still not ready to spend that insane amount of money on a tv.

Seems like Dolby Vision is still better than HDR10+ of the samsung according to this test, and with Sony running around with it you might get left out if PS5/XSX support it, as Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision.

X950G should be a great TV, but it's HDMI 2.0 and last year model. Better wait for X900H (XH90) and see how it looks like, or grab the X950G or the newer X950H on sale if console and general movie/tv usage is your goal. X800H has no local dimming and pretty cheap and has probably the best input lag to date, even without HDMI 2.0, and starts at $600 USD for the 43" model.

The newer model come in 49inch for 1199€ fucking euro's... no way in hell am I going to pay that for 49 inch.

I made up my mind, I'm going for the X950G it is actually in a sale right now for €999 and the 65inch for 1399€

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm still waiting for the HDMI 2.1 receivers, since not every manufatures has released one yet. I want to replace my receiver first before i buy a new tv.

acm2000

Literally just received my sony 55xf9005 yesterday, after doing loads of research I came to the conclusion that getting a slightly older, higher end (at it's time) model for £750 (paid £618 after discounts) made much more sense than getting the current models at similar price which were inferior in most ways unless I spent like £300+ more.

Stunning picture, amazing contrast ratio where blacks really are deep, 1000nits HDR, and excellent motion flow and upscaling.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The newer model come in 49inch for 1199€ fucking euro's... no way in hell am I going to pay that for 49 inch.

I made up my mind, I'm going for the X950G it is actually in a sale right now for €999 and the 65inch for 1399€

Go for it, don't worry. I've never had problems like stutter or screen tearing with my old TV, not sure if it's PS4/Pro or it's a problem related to some TV's other than Sony's. Mine is older and the one you're going for is way superior and better.

If you feel you don't wanna wait and see X900H then I think you'll be more than satisfied with X950G.

I got one already $1399 total shipped for the 65 inch X900H :)

jealous.gif

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom