• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samwise Didier Announces Retirement from Blizzard Entertainment after 32 Years

Draugoth

Gold Member
37661-samwise-didier-announces-retirement-from-blizzard-entertainment-after-32-years.jpg

Senior Art Director Samwise Didier announced his retirement from Blizzard Entertainment today. Credited with creating Blizzard's art style and even coming up with the Warcraft name, for 32 years he lent pen and voice to bringing these worlds to life.

Beginning his career at Blizzard (then called Silicon & Synapse) after reading a terse newspaper ad in December of 1991 and being hired the very same day, Samwise since served as art director for each of Blizzard's major franchises, was credited as a producer of several games, and was further credited with creating Blizzard's distinctive house art style that has permeated the majority of their illustrations and games... but his contributions don't stop there. He's lent his writing, music, and voice to bringing these fantastic worlds to life, and was even credited with coming up with the name Warcraft - based on his D&D character at the time. He also created the Pandaren, and both his name and likeness are sprinkled throughout each and every Blizzard game.​

skit_data

He has indeed been around for a long time, remember his name being mentioned mostly in relation to the Warcraft games.

Last edited:

skit_data

Oh no! Someone has left a job. Blizzard are doomed.

Am I doing it right?
I mean, he's probably the only person from Blizzard I can name (partly because it's pretty unusual) so he's not just some random person. Then again I haven't played almost any of their games since WC2 and WC3 outside of Starcraft 2.

Edit: Of course it doesn't mean they are doomed in any way but it is something worth taking note of

Last edited:

Darchaos

The fuck are you talking about age in the thread? Are you all unsecure about age or wtf is going on? Come at me you fucks, kiss me on my bald spot!

Last edited:

skit_data

Incidentally, Samwise also drew a lot of the Album covers for a Power Metal band called "Hammerfall".
Huh, I had no idea. Not much of a power metal fan but as a metal listener and swede I'm kinda surprised I never heard about that. But then again I realized just how huge Sabaton is worldwide just the other week, I'm totally out of the loop xD

Last edited:

Rhazkul

"The War within" isn't just the name for the new expansion. It's probably how things are inside Blizzard: the OGs like Metzen, Samwise, Kaplan vs the woke untalented zoomer devs.

skit_data

Because that's what they are. Remember Elite Tauren Chieftain? :messenger_horns:

Also, let's not forget... whatever the hell this is:

Some kind of wierd medieval disco funk prog rock?

Edit: I remember not really remembering which cheatcode would result in what effect so I just always typed in each one so this was pretty much the soundtrack I associate with WC2 rather than the "regular" soundtrack

Last edited:

DrCheese

Also, let's not forget... whatever the hell this is:

Some kind of wierd medieval disco funk prog rock?

Edit: I remember not really remembering which cheatcode would result in what effect so I just always typed in each one so this was pretty much the soundtrack I associate with WC2 rather than the "regular" soundtrack

haha, that's a pee-take of "I'm a mechnical man" from Command and Conquer

Gaelyon

Gold Member
He looks like Ryan Reynolds cosplaying a nice metal geek. Wish him a good retiring, his job seemed like a dream job.

DavJay

If you can work in the same company in this industry that long you did something right. Best of luck to him

Varteras

Gold Member
Same. I'll take a full head of prematurely gray hair over a bald head, thanks. My dad didn't leave me much, but I did get a bunch of hair.

Same. I've had gray hairs since my 20's. More now in my 40's but still much more predominantly brown. Both sides of my family have no history of male pattern baldness and it shows. My buddy, only a year older than me, has a clearly developing bald spot on the back of his head. His 35 year old brother is already bald. I'll take my luscious gray hairs, thank you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Same. I'll take a full head of prematurely gray hair over a bald head, thanks. My dad didn't leave me much, but I did get a bunch of hair.

I started greying since 19, 20 lol. I use natural hair color every couple of months but now I just let it grey out a little bit more.

Same as you, I'd take this over balding patches in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

poodaddy

I started greying since 19, 20 lol. I use natural hair color every couple of months but now I just let it grey out a little bit more.

I've got really thick, long hair, not unlike Samwise there, but I must admit that I've got more gray than him at 36. I've never colored it, the wife says she likes the salt and pepper look so I figure why bother.

I don't think I'll have gray hair really when all is said and done, my hairs are turning pure white, I mean like piercing white, and I don't really know why. I'm cool with it though, soon I'll look like Gandalf the White and that's fine by me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

19 or 20? Wow. I knew a guy getting greys on his sides at around 30 (give or take a year) and I thought that was crazy enough! It gets to a point though. Just let it grey. You dont want to be one of those 50 or 60 year olds with solid brown or black hair like he's 20! If you do that, everyone will know you dunk your head in Just For Men every two weeks.

As for me, I got greys starting 10 years ago. A few hey or there I'd pick out. Now it's salt and peppery with maybe 25% grey, and more and more every year.

As for balding, I definitely dont have a good shaped dome, so thankfully I got full hair. I'm assuming if I havent thinned out or got the horseshoe head yet, I'll pretty much have full hair till I die. Then again, I dont know. Maybe in 10 years suddenly all my falls out out!

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
19 or 20? Wow.

Yeah I know, it was really weird cause I was coloring in my college days lol.

I think Matt Leblanc (Joey from Friends) also had very early greying and he's basically had his hair colored through the entire run of Friends.

But, god bless I still have a very full and healthy set of hair, minus them greying out.

And I'll probably stop coloring when I reach late 30s, or at most early 40s.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
That’s a good lookin bloke for being in his 50s. I don’t give a shit about Blizzard, but I bet he has a crazy hair and skin care routine lol

Top Bottom