• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON: Comic Book News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil ways

Not related to comic books, but on the Comic-Con they showed a new line of action figures based on movies call "Now Playing" by SOTA Toys, similar to McFarlane's Movie Maniacs. So far they have The Toxic Avenger, Darkman, the Nazi Nightmare Werewolves from American Werewolf in London and the Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

Darkman looks badass.

so are they gonna give any concrete details on green lantern: rebirth? or about how identity crisis is gonna affect the DC universe? is millar done whoring himself to everyone but DC? who's gonna superman after azzarello?

nomoment

evil solrac v3.0 said:
so are they gonna give any concrete details on green lantern: rebirth? or about how identity crisis is gonna affect the DC universe? is millar done whoring himself to everyone but DC? who's gonna superman after azzarello?
Dude, today's only the first day of SDCC... big news is coming later in the weekend! Your questions will be answered.

But, I'll serve up a few preliminary answers for you.

1. You're probably not going to get much more information on GL: Rebirth. At least, not much more than you already know. Geoff Johns likes to keep his lips sealed.
2. Well, it's two issues in, and Identity Crisis has already messed up the whole DCU, and some of it's history.
3. Nope. Expect more Millar whoring when we see more pictures of that new Venom in MK: Spider-Man.
4. Not Morrison and Quitely, if that's what you're implying. Not yet, at least.

nomoment said:
Dude, today's only the first day of SDCC... big news is coming later in the weekend! Your questions will be answered.

But, I'll serve up a few preliminary answers for you.

1. You're probably not going to get much more information on GL: Rebirth. At least, not much more than you already know. Geoff Johns likes to keep his lips sealed.
2. Well, it's two issues in, and Identity Crisis has already messed up the whole DCU, and some of it's history.
3. Nope. Expect more Millar whoring when we see more pictures of that new Venom in MK: Spider-Man.
4. Not Morrison and Quitely, if that's what you're implying. Not yet, at least.

guy, dr light only raped her (ugh) but im not sure about messing things up. it just ads more back story. what i really wanna know is if the batman book is gonna get a regular writing team. no more rotating teams!!!!! same goes for JLA but we got busiek on board so that's good. say, what happened to the question miniseries, i heard the writers had some personal problems or something?

nomoment

evil solrac v3.0 said:
guy, dr light only raped her (ugh) but im not sure about messing things up. it just ads more back story. what i really wanna know is if the batman book is gonna get a regular writing team. no more rotating teams!!!!! same goes for JLA but we got busiek on board so that's good. say, what happened to the question miniseries, i heard the writers had some personal problems or something?
Rape in a mainstream comic, in mainstream comic universe, just isn't right. And on Sue Dibny of all people? What did she ever do to Meltzer to deserve this? She's hardly shown any signs of distress in ANY of the comics she's been in, and then Meltzer suddenly decides to pull this out of his ass for shock value. It's really messed things up... anything can happen now.

And about Batman, don't know what's going on with that. I know that Lapham and Sienkiewicz's run will never get published, so forget about having a good creative team on the book for a while... And haven't heard anything about The Question mini. I'm still waiting for Azzarello's Luthor book! (Which I probably won't get now, because Azzarello has proven he can't write anything that's not called 100 Bullets)

Willco

Hollywood Square
I think you're kind of overblowing the whole Identity Crisis thing, man.

Rape ≠DCU Apocalypse, Nomo.

nomoment

Willco said:
I think you're kind of overblowing the whole Identity Crisis thing, man.

Rape ≠DCU Apocalypse, Nomo.
I might be overblowing it, but you have to admit, this doesn't have a place in a mainstream, company-wide crossover, all-ages, book.

Mercury Fred said:
I do.

Let's just say it might appear somewhere besides Batman.
Jeez, anybody could've just made that up.

Mercury Fred said:
Whatever. Watch for an announcement soon. Care to offer me anything for when I'm proven right?
My respect! This is very hard to earn.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Mercury Fred said:
Whatever. Watch for an announcement soon. Care to offer me anything for when I'm proven right?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. If it's not on Batman, you get get my undying hate. I won't settle for any Detective Comics bullshit. Batman, bay-bee. Batman.

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:
I might be overblowing it, but you have to admit, this doesn't have a place in a mainstream, company-wide crossover, all-ages, book.

So? Kids don't read comic books anyway. Really. It's such an adult market now it's not funny. Besides, just because Sue Dibny got raped doesn't meant Doomsday is going to come back and kill Superboy or that The Joker will find Barbara Gordon and rape her in her wheelchair.

Alucard

Banned
You know what would be great? If Kevin Smith decided to finish the last issue of Spider-Man/Black Cat. Yep, that would make my day.

I don't actually want anything. Just for Wilco to be less flippantly annoying to people offering potentially good and accurate news. And I never said it would run in Batman.

nomoment

Willco said:
So? Kids don't read comic books anyway. Really. It's such an adult market now it's not funny. Besides, just because Sue Dibny got raped doesn't meant Doomsday is going to come back and kill Superboy or that The Joker will find Barbara Gordon and rape her in her wheelchair.
But still, just because kids don't occupy much of the market anymore, doesn't justify that this kind of stuff is in an ALL AGES BOOK. What if, in the next issue of Astonishing X-Men, there's a flashback sequence of Mr. Sinister raping Kitty Pryde?

All I ask for is a 'mature readers' or 'parental advisory,' label or whatever. Of course, DC/AOL can't put a tag like this on a book like Identity Crisis, because the bottom line is, IT WILL HURT SALES. There's just too many kinds of wrong going on here.

PS: I'm pretty sure Doomsday IS coming back!

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:
But still, just because kids don't occupy much of the market anymore, doesn't justify that this kind of stuff is in an ALL AGES BOOK. What if, in the next issue of Astonishing X-Men, there's a flashback sequence of Mr. Sinister raping Kitty Pryde?

I think kids should see that. Wasn't that in the FOX cartoon anyway?

All I ask for is a 'mature readers' or 'parental advisory,' label or whatever. Of course, DC/AOL can't put a tag like this on a book like Identity Crisis, because the bottom line is, IT WILL HURT SALES. There's just too many kinds of wrong going on here.

Why bother putting a tag on a book that kids are not going to read anyway. You're not going to pick up a miniseries called Identity Crisis unless you actively involved in following the industry. And kids don't do that. If perhaps this was an issue of JLA, I'd be more sympathetic, but it's not.

PS: I'm pretty sure Doomsday IS coming back!

Oh God, WHY? Superman died once already.

Alucard

Banned
You know what else would be awesome? If Superman actually DIED and stayed dead for real this time. Think of what it would do to the DCU! It would be the comic event of the millennium...monuments could be erected all over the DCU of Supes and the other heroes could be inspired by him, etc. etc.

...or not. It was just an idea.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I think it would be great if Superman would die for real, but DC would never let that happen. I think of all the iconic comic books characters, that well is completely dry. You really can't do anything to reinvent him either, or else he loses his esteemed goody-goody boy scout attitude which makes him Superman and DC won't allow it. He's a throwback to another era, has no room for progression and it would be awesome if he really died.

Alucard

Banned
...and that's all I'm saying. You can't do much more with a character who's essentially over 70 years old. You can still have his character play a part in the books by having him on the minds of the rest of the DCU heroes.

Yossarian

While the whole rape aspect of identity crisis is bad, what really made me shutter was heroes like Barry Allen going along with the lobotomizing of their enemies. I just cannot see it happening, no matter what happened to Linda.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm getting down there at 6:30 or 7:00am tomorrow to secure parking for the day. Downtown San Diego is going to be HELL ON EARTH tomorrow with Comic Con and the arrival of the USS Ronald Regan for it's homeportting.

This is what I'm planning to hit over the weekend:

Friday:
10:30-11:30 Star Wars Day: Clone Wars Fiction - Room 7B

12:30-2:00 Warner Bros.: Batman Begins and Constantine - Hall H

5:30-7:30 New Line Cinema/New Line Home Entertainment: Blade: Trinity, Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, Cellular, and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Extended Edition DVD - Hall H

Saturday:
7:00-8:30 Star Wars Hyperspace Breakfast - Marriot Ballroom B

12:00-2:00 Star Wars Spectacular with Lucasfilm’s Steve Sansweet and guests - Hall H

2:00-3:00 Dimension Films: Sin City - Hall H

3:00-4:30 Paramount: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and Team America - Hall H

4:30-5:30 Sony: The Grudge and Screen Gems: Resident Evil: Apocalypse - Hall H

5:30-7:00 20th Century Fox: Alien vs. Predator and Fantastic Four - Hall H

7:00-8:30 Mark Hamill’s Comic Book: The Movie - Room 6AB

Sunday:
1:00-2:00 Joss Whedon: Serenity - Room 20

HAOHMARU

Well, I never got a confirmation e-mail from them, but it got charged to my credit card. I printed out my credit card statement...hopefully when I try to pick up my pass it will work out ok.

I'm meeting up with my fellow www.shodown.net buddies. Is there a GA meeting?

MASB

Winick's run will start with Batman #634 in November. Hopefully he'll have a good run on the book (good as in quality, not length of reign).

Romita on Wolverine.. ugh...

Why do they let that HACK draw anymore? If it weren't for his father his no-talent ass would be flipping burgers.... Hated his "artwork" and always will, gotta love women with square jaws and square eyes.

Sorry, he just plain sucks.

I kno if I turned in a submision that looked like that for comic work, they'd laugh their asses of then send a nice long rejection letter.

you know, im kinda tired of you two (willco and alucard) always saying superman needs to die. how's a death gona make the character better?(worse) and what's all this crap about goody-goody two shoes!?!? you it's all that dark and gritty that fucked up comics in the early 90's. you dont hear me saying they should revamp spider-man or make him darker....

so winnick and nguyen? ugh. winnick? double ugh.... gay alfred here we go.....
morrison on JLA/classified? good enough i guess.
david lapham? am i gonna love it? we'll see...
and the lex luthor mini is gonna rock mono. luthor is exactly the kind of character azzarello can write well. and his superman has been enjoyable so far, im not gonna try to convince you anymore so......

Willco

Hollywood Square
evil solrac v3.0 said:
you know, im kinda tired of you two (willco and alucard) always saying superman needs to die. how's a death gona make the character better?(worse) and what's all this crap about goody-goody two shoes!?!? you it's all that dark and gritty that fucked up comics in the early 90's. you dont hear me saying they should revamp spider-man or make him darker....

Tired of us two? I've voiced that opinion maybe twice. Don't be such a sensitive Superman-loving baby.

Superman is a boring boy scout and a throwback to another era. And I said they shouldn't revamp him or his entire character goes to shambles. The logical choice is to kill him.

nomoment

Alucard said:
Awesome. When will Winick's run begin? Is it already going on right now? I'm constantly loving his Green Arrow stuff and would like to pick up some Batman.
Winick's first run on Batman is almost finished. I think his last issue either shipped this week, or is shipping next week. His second run begins in November.

It's pretty terrible stuff, Alucard.

nomoment

Willco said:
This has been a pretty unspectacular SDCC so far.
Dude, there's still two days left. Big stuff will get announced tommorrow. Look out for:

Tonight

3:30-4:30 DC Comics: Fans Turned Pro—Brad Meltzer (Identity Crisis), Geoff Johns (JSA, Teen Titans, The Flash, Green Lantern: Rebirth), and Judd Winick (Outsiders, Batman) are some of the best writers (and biggest fans!) in the business. Pick their brains to find out what inspires them to create some of the most engaging stories in the industry. Room 5AB

4:30-5:30 Avengers/Marvel Heroes—The battle cry is sounded— Avengers, DISassembled?! What the—?! Not a hoax, not a stunt, it’s the real deal, and editor-in-chief Joe Quesada, publisher Dan Buckley, Avengers editor Tom Brevoort, and a host of Marvel’s best talent for Avengers-related projects are here to tell you what’s shaking up the core of the Marvel Universe! Join Avengers writer Brian Bendis, OC producer Allan Heinberg (what’s he doing here?), Allan Jacobson (Invaders), Mark Waid (Fantastic Four), Robert Rodi (Identity Disc, Loki), Scott Kolins (Avengers Disassembled), and many more as they leave no question unanswered! As an added bonus, join Marvel editor Tom Brevoort for a round of “Stump the T-Voort”—be the first to stump the walking Marvel Encyclopedia, and win a prize! Room 5AB

Tommorrow

12:00-1:00 DC: Identity Crisis: Murder in the DCU—After months of tightly guarded secrecy, it's finally going public: DC's got a full-blown crisis on its hands. Wizard Magazine named it "the number one most anticipated comic book project for 2004." Find out how Brad Meltzer and Rags Morales flipped the DC Universe on its ear and gave us a mystery for the ages when they are joined by cover artist Michael Turner in this interview and Q & A hosted by Mike Carlin, senior group editor. Room 5AB

1:00-2:00 Marvel: X-Men Reloaded—The X-Men never rebuild, they just reload—and this is X-Men Reloaded like you’ve never imagined! Excalibur penciler Aaron Lopresti, New X-Men’s Christina Weir and Nunzio Defilippis, X-Men: The End artist Sean Chen, and Astonishing X-Men artist John Cassaday join Marvel editor-in-chief Joe Quesada and Marvel publisher Dan Buckley to give you the lowdown on your favorite mutants! As an added bonus, join Marvel Editor Tom Brevoort for a round of “Stump the T-Voort”—be the first to stump the walking Marvel Encyclopedia, and win a prize! Room 5AB

3:00-4:30 DC Comics: Taking It to the Limit—There's never a dull moment for the heroes of the DCU! Look into the futures of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman—not to mention Green Lantern, Green Arrow, the Flash and all the others—in this slide show presentation moderated by Dan DiDio, VP/editorial and Bob Wayne, VP for sales and marketing. Joining them will be some of the best and brightest stars in the industry, including Brian Azzarello (Batman, 100 Bullets), Ron Garney (JLA), Jeph Loeb (Superman/ Batman), Jim Lee (Superman), Brad Meltzer (Identity Crisis), Rags Morales (Identity Crisis), Greg Rucka (Wonder Woman, Gotham Central), Judd Winick (Outsiders), Howard Porter (The Flash), Dan Jolley (Firestorm, Bloodhound), Geoff Johns (Teen Titans, JSA), Howard Chaykin (Bite Club, Challengers of the Unknown), and Jimmy Palmiotti (The Monolith, Hawkman). Room 5AB

4:30-5:30 Cup O’ Joe with Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada!—Sit down, kick back and enjoy a cup o’ Joe, San Diego-style. Marvel editor-in-chief Joe Quesada is joined by Marvel publisher Dan Buckley to rattle off a full-on blitz of the most shocking announcements the House of Ideas has ever saved for a San Diego panel in 2004. Ears up, True Believers—this is the panel you can’t miss! As an added bonus, join Marvel Editor Tom Brevoort for a round of “Stump the T-Voort”—be the first to stump the walking Marvel Encyclopedia, and win a prize!
Room 5AB

Sunday

10:30–11:30 One-on-One: Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale—Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, along with editorial art director Mark Chiarello, have collaborated on some of the best books and graphics novels DC has to offer – Batman: The Long Halloween, Batman: Dark Victory and Superman: For All Seasons, to name just a few. Come and find out how these three powerhouses of creativity collaborate collectively on some of the most thrilling and beautiful books in the business. Join Jeph, Tim and Mark for this one-on-one-on-one interview and Q & A session. Room 8

As you can see, hardly anything has happened yet! The only big panels that have concluded were the Vertigo Panel, Batman Panel, and Marvel Universe Panel. Lapham on Detective was great news. And regarding the MU panel, nothing usually happens during it, anyway. The good stuff is saved for Cuo O' Joe with Joe Quesada.

nomoment

John Romita Jr. chats about his upcoming Wolverine run

wolverine20_a.jpg

Return of the brown and orange costume!

nomoment

Told you to wait for the big news, Federman. I told you! Well, here it is:

Avengers Panel: Brubaker, Ellis, Bendis, Quesada, etc.

Too much to sum up in the hyperlink text, so I'll summarize it here:

- WARREN ELLIS and ADI GRANOV as permanent creative team on IRON MAN
- ED BRUBAKER and STEVE EPTING as permanent creative team on CAPTAIN AMERICA
- New Avengers title YOUNG AVENGERS
- Galactus chooses one of the FANTASTIC FOUR to be his new herald

And more:

Ed Brubaker chats Captain America

Willco

Hollywood Square
Whoa! Brubaker on Cap and Ellis on Iron Man! That's the first time in a millennia that I will purchases those books.

I am thinking it is Richards in the whole thing with Galactus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom