• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON: Comic Book News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just got back...

Constatine looks surprisingly not sucky.

Nothing shown from Batman Begins except from a robotic recorded message from the set by Nolan and Bale.

Brad Bird is the most awesomeness person ever.

Blade Trinity looks great.

RETURN OF THE KING EXTENDED EDITION IS A FUCKING GIFT FROM GOD.

Billy Boyd is teh funny.

Resizing images now. Will post shortly.

Tomorrow is a huge day.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I just pulled th pics off my camera (have like 60 or so), but here are a couple.

The ROTK:EE panel was awesome when New Line totally owned AICN. Someone (who most people believe was Quint from AICN) attempted to grill New Line on the rumor that AICN posted as fact that WETA was not doing the effects for the EE. Rick Porras (co-producer of LOTR) and the other New Line people owned them when they said WETA was doing the effects from day one and that there was NEVER a time when they even thought of having someone else do WETA's job.

They showed a long preview (like the EE previews on the other DVDs) of the ROTK EE in addition to three clips of full scenes from the EE (including the extended Paths of the Dead).

The Incredibles looks fantastic. Brad Bird showed two complete clips (the movie is FINISHED - they wrapped the other day and are just doing the sound mix at Skywalker right now) and the animation is breathtaking. He said a ton of Iron Giant people came to Pixar with him and worked on it.

I'll post more tomorrow. Tomorrow is Star Wars: Episode III, Sin City, Sky Captain, Team America, Grudge (with Buffy there!), Resident Evil, and FANTASTIC FOUR (with the cast apparently announced).

Also, Warner Brothers is being super retarded tomorrow. The Star Wars event is always the BIGGEST thing at Comic Con. EVERYONE goes to it. Yet, they are annoucing the Matrix Box Set at the SAME FUCKING TIME. Too bad no one will be there to see it as the Brothers are there and everything.

Some pics:
comic_con01.jpg

Neo:
comic_con02.jpg

Billy Boyd:
comic_con03.jpg

Faramir:
comic_con04.jpg

BuddyC

0.o at some of that news - a Fables OGN more than a year away, another Seaguy (assuming Morrison is willing), and numerious Pulse/Secret War/Daredevil tidbits. Oh yes, I'm excited.

border

ManaByte said:
Yet, they are annoucing the Matrix Box Set at the SAME FUCKING TIME. Too bad no one will be there to see it as the Brothers are there and everything.
They're actually appearing in public? Is one of them really a woman now or is that some sort of rumor that got out of control? I thought it was hogwash, but they keep on declining to do commentaries or show up at these sorts of events...

nomoment

SDCC winding down, this'll probably be my last update, unless something BIG happens.

JMS and Brandon Peterson do DR. STRANGE

Warren Ellis exclusive to Marvel for 2 years

Robert Kirkham exclusive to Marvel for 2 years

Roberto Aguere Sacasa exclusive to Marvel for 2 years

DCU Unlimited Panel: New LEGION, SPACE GHOST, FLASH, GL REBIRTH, etc.

X-Men Panel: Milligan, Claremont, Cassaday, Quesada, etc.

Pretty safe to save Marvel completely cleaned house during this year's SDCC. Turned out to be a pretty good convention news-wise, after all!

Ellis is still doing creator owned stuff elsewhere, right?

[edit... via bad signal; Planetary, and Ellis' creator owned stuff are exempt from this 'exclusive' contract. Good.]

HAOHMARU

Ok, here is some more stuff:

I saw a lot of hot chicks, namely Aria Gionvanni. I wasn't going to pay $40 for her Penthouse magazine though...so I just starred at teh boobies for free.

Penny Arcade dudes are nerds...they signed my poster though so they are cool.

Lots of dumbass cosplay fuckers...none were impressive. Storm trooper brigade was out in force. Lots of Jedi people too, and 3 Princess Leiha's...although one was FUCKING HUGE! I'd say 75% of the people dressed up as Star Wars characters were over weight to extremely fat.

Overpriced food...good thing I didn't buy any.

It got really hot and smelly around 1 p.m. because there were so many people.

I watched the Big-O anime which was dope...then some anime came on with these samurai gun robot things. It started out cool with them fighting and stuff...then, these little creatures popped up after the battle and it made no sense. Then one robot guy and these pre-pubescent girl fell in love in the end and made out. I wanted to stab my brain.

Species III? WTF? THERE IS NO REASON FOR THIS MOVIE. I thought the blonde chick in the plastic bubble was cool though...she was in there the whole day. I hope she got some breaks.

Heavy Metal booth: Chubby "has been" chick in a vynl suit...other chick in that purple outfit looked great until I saw her ass. Flat cottage cheese...yum. Thats ok, because Aria was in the booth next to them... :) There was a couple gothic type girls in the booth right around here that were interesting to look at.

Has Been celebreties to include:

Corey Haim & Corey Feldman (promoting special edition Lost Boys DVD <- roxors!)
That one guy from the X-Files/Lonegunmen

Other celebs:
Billy West...did a lot of voice work for a bunch of shows. Futurama, Doug, Ren and Stimpy...ect.
Some of the hobbits from Lord of the Rings...no Rudy though :(

Lots of cool toys and things...but I've seen better in Japan, and it was a lot cheeper over there.

Episode III teaser was playing at the Star Wars booth...
Blade III is going to kick ass...
That Dude Where's My White Castle movie with that guy from Amerian Pie and that other dude from Van Wilder looks to be kinda funny...

I'm going to go post game impression in the gaming section...I did that for the last half I was there.

ManaByte

Gold Member
HAOHMARU said:
Episode III teaser was playing at the Star Wars booth...

No it wasn't. All they had was the title announcement video that announces the title with behind-the-scenes footage. There was no teaser at Comic Con and in the Star Wars presentation they said it'll be in theaters around November.

Willco

Hollywood Square
ManaByte said:
No it wasn't. All they had was the title announcement video that announces the title with behind-the-scenes footage. There was no teaser at Comic Con and in the Star Wars presentation they said it'll be in theaters around November.

I wonder what the likelihood of the Star Wars trailer on The Incredibles is.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Willco said:
I wonder what the likelihood of the Star Wars trailer on The Incredibles is.

I don't know, but The Incredibles is FUCKING AWESOME. The facial animation is stunning, just as animated as traditional cel animation facial animation. And the humor is great.

ManaByte

Gold Member
HAOHMARU said:
Isn't that a teaser? I thought that is what a teaser is?

No. The teaser will be released to THEATERS and feature FINISHED FOOTAGE. Not behind the scenes stuff.

Ripclawe

Banned
Caption:
SAN DIEGO - JULY 24: (US TABS AND HOLLYWOOD REPORTER OUT) (L-R) Ralph Winter, Michael Chiklis, Tim Story, Jessica Alba, Loan Gruffudd and Ari Arad at Comic-Con Convention to promote their upcoming movie Fantastic Four on Saturday in San Diego, California. (Photo by Sandy Huffaker/Getty Images)

49lht

55rdu

MASB

HAOHMARU said:
Penny Arcade dudes are nerds...they signed my poster though so they are cool.
All I can say about the PA crew, is that they did a great job of making their cartoon alteregos look much better than they do in real life.

What about Rob Liefeld? How big was his line? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom