• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia & Iran sever ties after execution of top Shia reformist cleric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag

Both shitty countries with both shitty extremist views.

The West is stupid for picking a side since both Iran and Saudia Arabia are both evil

SA is evil, but it was inevitable that Iran and the US were going to be at odds given the history between the 2 countries. SA was the lesser of 2 evils.

i wonder how we ever going to recover from all this in future, being from saudi, I don't think that both Saudi and Iran government have a clear endgame plan.

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
i wonder how we ever going to recover from all this in future, being from saudi, I don't think that both Saudi and Iran government have a clear endgame plan.

They definitely know how to make each other angry.

I doubt anything is going to come out of this. KSA & Iran always had the Sunni vs Shite hatred for decades.

Kolx

Are you from SA by any chance? I'm just curious. We seem to be arguing two separate things here. I have no dog in the fight.

I'm saying that this has been brewing for a long time, and the changing of Iraq from Sunni government and enemy of Iran, to Shia government and ally was a huge catalyst. SA is being challenged 'in the region' by Iran and growing Shia Islam influence.

The question was who would end up worse. This all started because SA brutally repressed it's own Arab Spring uprising, the very thing that countries like France, UK and US toppled Gaddafi for in Libya. Saudi Arabia clamped down before it became full blown like it has in Syria and just executed the reformist cleric on charges of terrorism. This in turn led to their embassy being stormed and burned in Iran.

Saudi Arabia has the dominant military in the region (save for Israel), and they'll easily defeat Iran should it come to that. But my point is, they're struggling to show that they are a viable nation state in the modern era. Whether they like it or not, Shia influence is growing in the region, more countries are becoming pro-Iran and Saudi Arabia funding of terrorist groups like ISIS and Al-Qaeda is backfiring.

You've said yourself Yemen is the biggest border threat and that is precisely why Saudi Arabia is intervening in their civil war because the pro-SA Sunni government was on the verge of collapse and falling to the Houthi rebels who gained a large amount of the territory. I'm speaking in terms of the region, Shia Islam isn't going anywhere, and executions like this only embolden those against Saudi Arabia, whether they are in Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Lebanon etc.

First was there any Arab Spring in SA? I can't recall any major one. SA doesn't have a stronger military than Iran. When it comes to air yes but on land it's probably the opposite, which is good since this is one more reason for SA not to attack Iran and destabilize the ME more than it's already is. Also, SA doesn't support ISIS or Al-Qaeda unless you mean they have the same ideology then this is another topic to discuss. Finally, Yemen government was elected fairly and Houthi is trying to over through with force. The president of Yemen asked SA to interfere and so SA did.

lets hope not, but it could spark more protests against the ruling family which could lead to more civil unrest and then eventually civil war.

Shiita is minority in SA so this probably won't spark a civil war when the majority and the government is Sunni.

Are you from SA by any chance? I'm just curious. We seem to be arguing two separate things here. I have no dog in the fight.

I'm saying that this has been brewing for a long time, and the changing of Iraq from Sunni government and enemy of Iran, to Shia government and ally was a huge catalyst. SA is being challenged 'in the region' by Iran and growing Shia Islam influence.

The question was who would end up worse. This all started because SA brutally repressed it's own Arab Spring uprising, the very thing that countries like France, UK and US toppled Gaddafi for in Libya. Saudi Arabia clamped down before it became full blown like it has in Syria and just executed the reformist cleric on charges of terrorism. This in turn led to their embassy being stormed and burned in Iran.

Saudi Arabia has the dominant military in the region (save for Israel), and they'll easily defeat Iran should it come to that. But my point is, they're struggling to show that they are a viable nation state in the modern era. Whether they like it or not, Shia influence is growing in the region, more countries are becoming pro-Iran and Saudi Arabia funding of terrorist groups like ISIS and Al-Qaeda is backfiring.

You've said yourself Yemen is the biggest border threat and that is precisely why Saudi Arabia is intervening in their civil war because the pro-SA Sunni government was on the verge of collapse and falling to the Houthi rebels who gained a large amount of the territory. I'm speaking in terms of the region, Shia Islam isn't going anywhere, and executions like this only embolden those against Saudi Arabia, whether they are in Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Lebanon etc.
No I am not from SA lol

What I am getting at is this is overly complex to the point of not knowing who the clear winner would be

rather the more safe assumption is both will collapse.... maybe SA first due to Yemen be more then they can handle.... Plus SA and other GCC nations suppressed Bahrain a Shia majority country run by Sunni monarchs

SA has Shias and they do indeed keep them in check but they are a Sunni majority nations and instead have money payouts to their citizens in order to keep stability (which will soon come to harm due to oil prices)

Though imho SA is likely going to collapse as a Monoarchy for inner reason before Iran if they both did nothing to confront each other
What? It's a Sunni vs Shiite thing as it has always been. When Pakistani Shiites are being killed, and Bahraini Shiites are being oppressed, and Yemeni Shiites are being bombed; the one common denominator has been that the oppressors are Sunni. The Shiites in Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Iraq, etc are all Arabs. So calling it an Arab versus Persian conflict makes no sense at all.

yeah that is the proxy aspect of it (An example of Wahabi shipped idealogy to other Sunni regions)..... Shias as well do major oppression to Sunnis

heck Syria is an example right now but Sunnis are more the case since they are large in population and hence a majority in most countries

What I am saying is instead of playing hand to hand with two corrupt nations you just step aside and distance yourself from them if you are Sunni or Shia

both will likely implode eventually.... and we all know both would rather do proxy wars harming and diving other nations then actually doing stuff themselves

Madness

First was there any Arab Spring in SA? I can't recall any major one. SA doesn't have a stronger military than Iran. When it comes to air yes but on land it's probably the opposite, which is good since this is one more reason for SA not to attack Iran and destabilize the ME more than it's already is. Also, SA doesn't support ISIS or Al-Qaeda unless you mean they have the same ideology then this is another topic to discuss. Finally, Yemen government was elected fairly and Houthi is trying to over through with force. The president of Yemen asked SA to interfere and so SA did.

Yes there was an Arab Spring, but the Kingdom of Saud has near total control over the country and stopped it from becoming an Egypt or Libya. They also helped Bahrain put down their own uprising. It wasn't as widely reported in the West because SA is a major US ally. Also, Saudi Arabia is perhaps the greatest source of funding from a country for many Islamist terror groups. This is not new and has been known for a while. They may not do it 'officially' especially now, but yes, they did support Al-Qaeda and ISIS before it started killing journalists and whatnot. Maybe they're still getting funds, hard to say for sure. Just like it's hard to say exactly how much Iran funds Hezbollah.

Also, Yemen is essentially a puppet of the SA, they were going to intervene whether they were officially asked to or not. Just like Russia intervened in Ukraine as the Pro-Russian government fell. My point being that all it did was increase anti-SA sentiment among the Houthi's and Shia even more. This posturing between Saudi Arabia and Iran will only destabilize an already unstable region. Various countries have sizable majority or minority populations of Sunni/Shia etc. Even SA itself has millions of Shia citizens. Let's hope it doesn't escalate beyond this.

still both sides are not willing to back-down and try claim things down, but side are making sectarianism even more worse, even some of my family started to speak such things within our family party and such.

If Iran still had Shah then things might be different.

If Iran still had Shah it would be as evil as Saudi Arabia since the Shah was a fucking puppet who was first installed by the British and later again by the US against the will of the Iranian people.

Special C

200w_d.gif

If the USA hadn't supported Operation Ajax then things might be different.
Is there anything more annoying than every Iran post having a reference to this or every Syria thread having a reference to sykes-picot as those these thing radically changed things and aren't part of a long long history.

I'd much prefer references to the great game as it is a more obscure reference and makes you sound smarter. Though why don't we talk about the Safavid or the Islamic invasion of the sasasian empire. Maybe this would be different.

Polari

It's depressing to know that the USA will end up backing the KSA in any conflict between the two states.

The irony is the US are so fucking stupid they don't seem to remember the current Iranian regime is the direct result of them backing a brutal autocratic regime against a democratically elected leader.

The irony is the US are so fucking stupid they don't seem to remember the current Iranian regime is the direct result of them backing a brutal autocratic regime against a democratically elected leader.

whose only crime was wanting to nationalize their oil industry from Britain

I mean this world.... I can't

This isn't really what happened. History doesn't go: a leads to b.

The overthrow played a part but its not in vacuum and the single cause and effect.

And it pretends that nothing happened between the 50s and late 70s.

Iran still executes homosexuals like Saudi Arabia, so how are they different?
I think it's more about who they execute where you can draw distinctions. Iran claims their executions are mostly from a drug war. Saudi Arabia will kill you for changing religions or criticizing the government. Saudi Arabia is also very quick to kill minorities first.

Special C

You really don't want that. In the unlikely chance they got into it, gas prices would shoot through the roof at the very least. At worst, WWIII

The sentiment obviously extends to America and euros not getting involved at all, which would never ever happen anyway. But yes, the oIL would be an issue.

Victarion

Iran still executes homosexuals like Saudi Arabia, so how are they different?

American cops kill people on the street, so how is US different than ISIS? What kind of stupid analogy is that?

Yes, Iran treats homosexuals awfully but them being executed for their sexuality has been rare. On the other hand Iran has more progressive laws concerning transsexuals, offering them a sex change operation if they choose so. Women's rights in Iran is not comparable to Scandinavia but still damn far better than SA. Women are allowed to drive, vote, get university degrees, have positions in the government, etc.

More importantly Iranian citizens do not fund ISIS and Al Qaeda.

diamount

Banned
American cops kill people on the street, so how is US different than ISIS? What kind of stupid analogy is that?

Yes, Iran treats homosexuals awfully but them being executed for their sexuality has been rare. On the other hand Iran has more progressive laws concerning transsexuals, offering them a sex change operation if they choose so. Women's rights in Iran is not comparable to Scandinavia but still damn far better than SA. Women are allowed to drive, vote, get university degrees, have positions in the government, etc.

More importantly Iranian citizens do not fund ISIS and Al Qaeda.

Lol, I cannot believe you are defending Iran in this case. A lot of the cases with Iranian who still see themselves as male/female but are forced into it because the not doing so is far worse. I.e imprisonment or death. Oh it doesn't happen, Iran are the gud guise. Fuck off with your fallacies man.

I think it's more about who they execute where you can draw distinctions. Iran claims their executions are mostly from a drug war. Saudi Arabia will kill you for changing religions or criticizing the government. Saudi Arabia is also very quick to kill minorities first.

Distinctions do not need to be drawn. Both countries have horrid, oppressive governments and neither should be praised because they happen to treat a demographic slightly different.

Lol, I cannot believe you are defending Iran in this case. A lot of the cases with Iranian who still see themselves as male/female but are forced into it because the not doing so is far worse. I.e imprisonment or death. Oh it doesn't happen, Iran are the gud guise. Fuck off with your fallacies man.

I see him telling you that Iran is better than SA, thats not defending Iran, it is stating a fact. Iran is far more a progrssive country than Saudi Arabia. In an ideal world no one will support SA, but we don't live in such a world.

It won't end well for Saudi Arabia I think. Saudi Arabia is fast becoming exposed as perhaps one of the, if not worst nations in the world especially with regards to human rights, oppression, even in North Korea women can drive. Because of their support for Israel and their dominance of OPEC and oil, and the purchasing of US military hardware, Saudi Arabia is given a free pass so many times. They are the greatest sponsor of terrorism around the globe, they fund radical groups like Al-Qaeda, ISIS.

They brutally suppressed their own Arab Spring uprising, and have instead gone on to bomb the hell out of the Houthi Shiite rebels in Yemen just so their puppet sunni government can stay and not have another Shia country or government in the region.

It's not so much about Iran having more allies or whatnot, as opposed to declining Muslim/Arab support for Saudi Arabia. They are far more militarily stronger than Iran, and they will have Israeli and US support in any moves they do, but from Iraq, to Syria, to Yemen, Lebanon, Shia Islam is gaining influence, and are becoming emboldened.

Oeh3hje.jpg

This map is somewhat recent, but it shows the distribution of Shia Islam in the area. Overwhelmingly the majority of the Muslims in the world are Sunni, but in the region, especially around Saudi Arabia, they are being encircled by Shia Islamic states, and it's why they quickly started to bomb the hell out of the Houthi rebels in Yemen who almost toppled the Sunni government. The biggest change in the region has been the toppling of Iraq as a Sunni minority government and one of Iran's greatest enemies has now become their biggest ally.

I don't see those things that you listed as a reason to why SA may not have much support. Very view of those things effect things were it matters which is government relations which SA still is good towards a few countries. You can point to the Yemen conflict on how they got many nations to side with them and the "anti-terrorist" coalition they have-not all really a part of it, but they have influence on many countries or the lack of criticism that SA gets and the continued support of their government. The other countries like Syria,Iraq, or Lebanon are to divided or in a state of war. Iran really on has their proxies which are preoccupied. I don't think SA will steamroll, I think they have the advantage because to how I see things having many allies and influence gives you plenty of leverage and political power.

diamount

Banned
I see him telling you that Iran is better than SA, thats not defending Iran, it is stating a fact. Iran is far more a progrssive country than Saudi Arabia. In an ideal world no one will support SA, but we don't live in such a world.

Your country is not progressive if it's a theocracy/absolute monarchy with sharia law. End of discussion.

Madness

Your country is not progressive if it's a theocracy/absolute monarchy with sharia law. End of discussion.

End of discussion if you're a 12 year old who can't see nuance and context and differences. It's like saying, they're both bad, I'm taking my ball and going home.

Victarion

They fund Hezbollah which is just as bad.

Oh boy. Here we go again with this oversimplification of stuff and good vs evil.

Back up your claim with a source or as you put it yourself, fuck off.

diamount

Banned
End of discussion if you're a 12 year old who can't see nuance and context and differences. It's like saying, they're both bad, I'm taking my ball and going home.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. There is no justification to call Iran a better country than SA when it's entire legal system is based on religious texts from the Middle Ages.

diamount

Banned
Jesus, learn to read. I never defended the Iranian treatment of homosexuals, I specifically said such laws are helpful towards transsexuals.

Jesus, read the link I just posted. Many homosexuals are being PRESSURED to change their gender, when they are comfortable in their own skin. You are beginning to tire me with your constant goal post moving, post something of substance or don't post at all.

The critical points here that led Saudi Arabia to do so:
- Iran failed to protect the Saudi Diplomats
- Iran refused that the Saudi Diplomats and their families to leave Iran
- UAE stepped in and took the Saudi Diplomats and flew them to Dubai safely
- When Saudi Arabia was sure that their Diplomats were safe the Minister of Foreign affairs in Saudi Arabia made a press conference announcing that with the points that led

A country that fails to protect diplomats is a joke but by this time it comes with no surprise since the current Iranian regime since 79 had a history of not respecting such rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom