• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists Develop Battery with Rapid Charge and Discharge Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo C.

Science fuck yeah!

http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nnano.2011.38.html

Rapid charge and discharge rates have become an important feature of electrical energy storage devices, but cause dramatic reductions in the energy that can be stored or delivered by most rechargeable batteries (their energy capacity). Supercapacitors do not suffer from this problem, but are restricted to much lower stored energy per mass (energy density) than batteries.

A storage technology that combines the rate performance of supercapacitors with the energy density of batteries would significantly advance portable and distributed power technology. Here, we demonstrate very large battery charge and discharge rates with minimal capacity loss by using cathodes made from a self-assembled three-dimensional bicontinuous nanoarchitecture consisting of an electrolytically active material sandwiched between rapid ion and electron transport pathways.

Rates of up to 400C and 1,000C for lithium-ion and nickel-metal hydride chemistries, respectively, are achieved (where a 1C rate represents a one-hour complete charge or discharge), enabling fabrication of a lithium-ion battery that can be 90% charged in 2 minutes.

Mock if old.

gcubed

cathodes made from a self-assembled three-dimensional bicontinuous nanoarchitecture consisting of an electrolytically active material sandwiched between rapid ion and electron transport pathways.

thats what she said

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, wait, this has faster/near instant charges while having slower discharge/energy-consumption rates? Is that right or is the title really fast charge and fast discharge?

gcubed

TheSeks said:
So, wait, this has faster/near instant charges while having slower discharge/energy-consumption rates? Is that right or is the title really fast charge and fast discharge?

confused me too, but damn if i could charge to 90% in 2 minutes.

MrHicks

Banned
"sooooo the cathodes three dimensional nanotechnology superconductors ......."

tumblr_legq420V3B1qzqawwo1_500.jpg

UFRA

So is there some catch to this?

Why did they report 90% in 2 min? Does the last 10% take like 3 hours or did they not want to say 2min 39sec for 100%? lol

TheSeks

Yeah, it'd be really amazing to charge things that quickly. But if the battery goes kaput in the same amount of time... :lol

I want to make sure I'm reading it right, going by the title and the confusing article, you know?

Neo C.

TheSeks said:
It has the same capacity like today's battery but it can charge and discharge much faster.

TheSeks

Neo C. said:
It has the same capacity like today's battery but it can charge and discharge much faster.

Okay, so basically: It's a faster charging laptop/whatever battery.

The "and faster discharge" is the WHOOSH part for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
TheSeks said:
Okay, so basically: It's a faster charging laptop/whatever battery.

The "and faster discharge" is the WHOOSH part for me.

faster discharge would provide greater power for the same capacity. Useful for high drain applications like cars.

Neo C.

Graphics Horse said:
Good news for electric cars I guess. Not too fussed on the need for rapidly charging portable devices, but I'm not Jack Bauer.
The battery life of a handheld would have less relevance, which is a good thing.

gcubed

Graphics Horse said:
Good news for electric cars I guess. Not too fussed on the need for rapidly charging portable devices, but I'm not Jack Bauer.

awesome for cars as if plug in stations become prevalent range anxiety should go down if you can charge 90% by the time you go inside a store and buy a soda.

If I remember correctly, the major issue for high-discharge batteries was that their lifetime was absolutely awful. The paper cites a 95% capacity retention after 100 cycles for NiOOH and 88% after 50 cycles for MnO2. How comparable is that to in-production battery technology?

ezrarh

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
If I remember correctly, the major issue for high-discharge batteries was that their lifetime was absolutely awful. The paper cites a 95% capacity retention after 100 cycles for NiOOH and 88% after 50 cycles for MnO2. How comparable is that to in-production battery technology?

Yup, while this is interesting, it would be important to know how long something like this would last. That would determine its financial feasibility considering you'd expect something with a high charge/discharge rate to go through many cycles and I'm not sure if 100 is enough.

edit: grammar

Neo C.

Messypandas said:
i'm guessing this would make a better incentive to get an electric car then? or is the technology not appliable?
According to the scientists, it's applicable. Though, who knows, many brilliant inventions failed in going mass production for whatever reason.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Article says the capacity loss is minimal.

Now let us see if they can manufacture it at a reasonable price.

Price is the real problem right now . . . the existing technology does the job good enough (certainly could be better).

mclaren777

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
The paper cites a 95% capacity retention after 100 cycles for NiOOH and 88% after 50 cycles for MnO2. How comparable is that to in-production battery technology?
If those numbers are true, that's less impressive that current battery technology.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
The paper cites a 95% capacity retention after 100 cycles for NiOOH and 88% after 50 cycles for MnO2. How comparable is that to in-production battery technology?
We need numbers for thousands of cycles. 100 cycles is fine for a niche application where you can change the battery easily. Maybe for cell phones.

But that is a nonstarter for electric vehicles.

And price is what really matters. This is why we need to get batteries out in the field instead of just research. Price drops often come from mass manufacturing techniques that are progressively refined.

andycapps

speculawyer said:
We need numbers for thousands of cycles. 100 cycles is fine for a niche application where you can change the battery easily. Maybe for cell phones.

But that is a nonstarter for electric vehicles.

And price is what really matters. This is why we need to get batteries out in the field instead of just research. Price drops often come from mass manufacturing techniques that are progressively refined.

I think cell phone batteries are typically around 300-400 charges.. So yeah, not good enough for a cell phone, definitely not good enough for a car... yet.

It is about time we made an advancement in battery technology. That industry was pretty stagnant. Anyone with a smartphone knows the pains of short battery lives.

Kraftwerk

Sounds awesome.

Slightly OT:

I'm reading a sci-fi book right now. In the last page, one of the characters has a device the size of a playing card, and it has enough power to run the earth for decades.

Do want.

Neo C. said:
According to the scientists, it's applicable. Though, who knows, many brilliant inventions failed in going mass production for whatever reason.

Article says the capacity loss is minimal.
Since when was a 12% capacity loss over 50 cycles minimal? Although it depends on the density of the battery. The NiOOH battery had a power density of 270 mAh/gram after 100 cycles. How massive are current batteries?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Once capacitors can discharge slowly with a large energy density... Batteries will cease to exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom