• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim | Official Teaser | Coming on November 17 on Netflix

Hearing the story is pretty much that Scott from the future kidnaps Scott so he never gets with Ramona. Not sure if this is an anti-marriage thing or whatever, but apparently future Scott comes off as an asshole, so I guess it's commentary on the old story. Lots of modern takes on the story criticize the Scott character as being a shitty person. I love that they Panderversed this shit so close to the South Park movie.
To make more sense of this, spoil me on the comic book in terms of:

When they get married, does older Scott become jaded and/or resentful? Like does 'asshole Scott' make sense to his future predicament or is he just mean/evil for no reason?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
To make more sense of this, spoil me on the comic book in terms of:

When they get married, does older Scott become jaded and/or resentful? Like does 'asshole Scott' make sense to his future predicament or is he just mean/evil for no reason?
In the comics, the whole journey of Scott is to be less of an asshole. To grow, change, and be a better person who is worthy of Ramona. So this is completely counter to his character in the comics.

Last edited:
In the comics, the whole journey of Scott is to be less of an asshole. To grow, change, and be a better person who is worthy of Ramona. So this is completely counter to his character in the comics.
That's the original story, his youthful journey of self-growth and love right? Was there anything released about what happens after? I guess I'm trying to figure out if

future Asshole/Jaded Scott comes from a previous work or if his character is entirely made up.

mortal

Gold Member
FUCK NETFLIX, FUCK EDGAR WRIGHT, FUCK O'MALLEY, heavy spoilers so beware but for a non-spoiler version, they gave it the "Put a chick in it and make her lame" treatment

They played us like a damn fiddle, Scott gets killed off in the first episode and then Ramona becomes the main character and it follows her journey reconnecting with her exes so she can grow as a person
No fucking way...

Shouta

That's the original story, his youthful journey of self-growth and love right? Was there anything released about what happens after? I guess I'm trying to figure out if

future Asshole/Jaded Scott comes from a previous work or if his character is entirely made up.

Doesn't the original end with Scott and Ramona both kind of stating to each other that they're both going to try to be better or so? It's been a long time since I read it. I don't think anything has been published for after though.

Both are assholes in the series and I could see a jaded Scott happen if things ended up badly at some point between him and Ramona.

Doesn't the original end with Scott and Ramona both kind of stating to each other that they're both going to try to be better or so? It's been a long time since I read it. I don't think anything has been published for after though.

Both are assholes in the series and I could see a jaded Scott happen if things ended up badly at some point between him and Ramona.
I've only watched the live action movie and played the game, otherwise I've seen panels posted online here and there. From a casual fan perspective, I can also see the same thing happening(and oh man is it relatable), but I just want it to be written well is all.

Shouta

I've only watched the live action movie and played the game, otherwise I've seen panels posted online here and there. From a casual fan perspective, I can also see the same thing happening(and oh man is it relatable), but I just want it to be written well is all.
I haven't seen it yet myself so I don't know for sure. Definitely checking it out tonight.

I did find an interview with the creator from last month where he basically spells out the spoilers that are flying right now.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
It isn’t written well. It’s written in the typical slacktivist writing.

Hugare

What the fuck, lol

Came here to check some impressions. Wasnt expecting such twist.

Netflix jumped the shark. They are now a parody of themselves.

bitbydeath

Taking this one off my list.
the office rage GIF

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
What the fuck, lol

Came here to check some impressions. Wasnt expecting such twist.

Netflix jumped the shark. They are now a parody of themselves.
The original creator made this.

I read spoilers for the ending and it's so bad. Evil Scott from the future became a monk for 10 years after Ramona "needed time" and ends up as the final boss. "Super Ramona" defeats him in the end. Seems like they pretty much made Scott an incel from the future.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
The original creator made this.

I read spoilers for the ending and it's so bad. Evil Scott from the future became a monk for 10 years after Ramona "needed time" and ends up as the final boss. "Super Ramona" defeats him in the end. Seems like they pretty much made Scott an incel from the future.

It’s bad. The only people I can see this appealing to are people who will defend anything that “subverts expectations”, people who have no spine, or people who hate men.

Hugare

It’s bad. The only people I can see this appealing to are people who will defend anything that “subverts expectations”, people who have no spine, or people who hate men.
You got it

I went to that other forum, and yeah, the vast majority loved it

I have never read it, but people are saying that it completely ruins Scott's character arch

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
You got it

I want to that other forum, and yeah, the vast majority loved it

I have never read it, but people are saying that it completely ruins Scott's character arch
It 100% does. We can’t have strong male character growth these days, apparently. Elrond gets turned into a beta male. He-man gets hidden. Scott is turned into an incel.

Hugare

It 100% does. We can’t have strong male character growth these days, apparently. Elrond gets turned into a beta male. He-man gets hidden. Scott is turned into an incel.
This is what pisses me off: you don't need to make men less capable in order to elevate female characters. It never feels earned.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
This is what pisses me off: you don't need to make men less capable in order to elevate female characters. It never feels earned.
Ramona was already a very strong female character. She had flaws, but that must made her feel more human. They removed those flaws and added nothing but flaws with no redeeming characteristics to Scott.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
While it doesn't completely negate your statement, Blue Eyed Samurai is basically an animated Spartacus Blood and Sand set in Japan. Ya'll need to be watching that instead.

I caught the first episode and enjoyed what I saw.

Doczu

FUCK NETFLIX, FUCK EDGAR WRIGHT, FUCK O'MALLEY, heavy spoilers so beware but for a non-spoiler version, they gave it the "Put a chick in it and make her lame" treatment

They played us like a damn fiddle, Scott gets killed off in the first episode and then Ramona becomes the main character and it follows her journey reconnecting with her exes so she can grow as a person
Thank you for taking this shot cause i just saw it dropped on anetflix and thought "hey i did like the comic when i was young and the movie was quite ok" and almost wanted to watch it for the sweet, sweet memberberries.

Thank you for real. I didn't spoil my nostalgia through vile subversion.

Meicyn

Gold Member
My issue isn’t the story they’re trying to tell, as that stuff has an audience… it’s not my flavor but whatever. It’s the bait and switch bullshit. They could have ran with “Ramona Flowers Takes Off” or something equivalent which would have set expectations appropriately. All the different directions they planned would still be unknown because it’s an original, new take on the story.

But everyone was expecting an adaptation of what they fell in love with, based on the title they went with and the promotional materials they released to hype people up. They deserve whatever backlash they get for it. Of course, said backlash will be dismissed as the rantings of incels or whatever excuse they’ll make, but they’re the ones who went about this in a dishonest way.

The whole thing feels so dumb. It’d be like if Larian had made a different Baldur’s Gate 3 where you never stepped foot in Baldur’s Gate and the majority of the game took place in Neverwinter instead. Subverting expectations can be great in media, but this ain’t the way to do it.

Meh.

Labolas

LordCBH

I’m on episode 2. What the fuck kind of drug fueled fever dream is this shit? I thought this was just gonna be an adaptation?

AREYOUOKAY?

FAYzjsT.jpg

The Final Fantasy 7 remake ruined a whole generation of media. Now all of your favorite franchises will stoop to such dramatic changes to grab your attention when they could have been entirely accurate to the original thing that you loved.
Just kidding I love you FF7R and I bought a PS5 from the Neogaf marketplace for part 2 and hopefully 3. Someone should really close that thread.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
FAYzjsT.jpg

The Final Fantasy 7 remake ruined a whole generation of media. Now all of your favorite franchises will stoop to such dramatic changes to grab your attention when they could have been entirely accurate to the original thing that you loved.
Just kidding I love you FF7R and I bought a PS5 from the Neogaf marketplace for part 2 and hopefully 3. Someone should really close that thread.
Report it. Normally they close after a purchase is made.

Shouta

I’m on episode 2. What the fuck kind of drug fueled fever dream is this shit? I thought this was just gonna be an adaptation?

The marketing makes it seem like that but the creator said it wasn't going to be. Suits fucking it up, basically.

I just finished watching it myself and, overall, I think it's pretty great. The nuts and bolts of the plot are a little jank and might not be everyone's cup of tea but the ultimate point and what it does for the characters is pretty great. Spoilers ahead for the entire thing and sorry if it's a little scatterbrained.

So yeah the story is a lot more like a "What If" scenario since Scott "dies" at the end of the first episode. He isn't actually dead though and the story is really about finding him while exploring Ramona's past, her exes, and various other characters in different ways. If you like the series and its characters at all, the middle section of the show is fantastic. The characters are a lot of fun and you get to see what happened with the exes and some resolution for the hurt Ramona left them with. The only one that I thought was a real dud was what they did with Todd. His episode is hilarious but they didn't do much with his character. Otherwise, I really liked everyone else. It made me remember that Brie Larson can make a character likeable when she's given something to work with too.

The Older Scott thing was a little wild and I can understand some of the reaction to it. However, when I think about it in the big picture I was fine with it. The story really occurs because bad habits die hard. Scott grew in his story because of his pursuit and relationship with Ramona. It was what made him want to be better but what if his reason to decided to pull away? That was always Ramona's problem with her exes in the original and she fell back into that habit which then caused Scott to fall back as well forming a pretty unhealthy relationship. So the story being about Ramona learning to better herself for her relationship with Scott felt really good. It wasn't just on him to improve but on her as well.

I was pretty happy with everything else. It looks great, sounds great, and I love all of the references scattered throughout. The voice acting was pretty good though I had to laugh at Lucas. Everyone tried to sound like a character and not themselves but Chris Evans was just Chris Evans throughout.

Overall, I'd rate it like an 8.5/10. It gets an extra 0.5 for the fact they referenced Bubblegum Crisis in the show. I was not expecting that at all since it'd be too old and niche for the crowd that this show is aimed for.

Majormaxxx

My report after watching 4 out of 8 episodes so far. No spoilers.

I hated the bait and switch.

Some of the writing is legit very funny and made me chuckle.

The sense of early 00s nostalgia is mostly gone. Shame. A huge part of the appeal of Scott OG is that these kids, although I live in Europe and not North America, were legit like my friends in the early 2000s.

Aubrey plaza's character is improved.

Ramona is worse actually.

Plot, so far, is worse than the novels.

It could have been worse. It should have been better. I'll see the rest this weekend...

So I decided to binge the show today from a casual fan perspective. They were only 26ish minutes long each, so about the length of an Avengers movie all together. For those who aren't interested at all in watching due to a couple of twists that were revealed in the thread earlier, I'll post spoilers as to what takes place(the spoilers begin at the end of episode 1). This way you can kind of judge it all for yourself.

Episode 1 is a cliffnotes version of the first act of the movie up until the Patel fight. Thus, the pacing feels like it's on fast forward(which is bad for new viewers but good for those who've seen the movie already). They even skip through certain lines to get to the more important ones.

First spoiler at the end of ep 1:
-Matthew Patel wins the fight, kills Scott(He turns into coins)

Episode 2:
-Everyone is shocked like it wasn't supposed to happen this way.
-Funeral is held(in the coffin bed, Scott's coins are there).
-Friends are convinced Scott should have won.
-Knives blames Ramona for Scott's death even though Patel made the killing blow(?)
-Envy Adams shows up at Scott's funeral with ninjas(assuming the ninja thing must be in reference to the video game) and sings a song in remembrance of him.
-Gideon and the other evil exes get a secret invitation from Patel to Gideon's own secret evil ex lair.
-Patel confused that he didn't win Ramona back, says that Gideon's evil ex plan is BS.
-Patel demands to fight Gideon for a usurp of power/leadership, others agree now that they know the plan would have never worked.
-Patel beats Gideon thanks to his powers(assists) and zoning(fireballs), and becomes the new boss
-Ramona goes to sleep remembering the special night they had where Scott slept over.
-In her dream in the subspace highway she hears his ghostly voice calling out, realizing he may be alive.

Episode 3:
-Young Neil questions his own mortality as he leaves a voicemail for his dad.
-He decides to finally start scriptwriting but can't seem find the right words.
-Goes to sleep and a person in a mask(who he assumes is his sleep paralysis demon) writes the entire script.
-Ramona checked the footage of the Patel vs Scott fight, finds out Scott was grabbed through a portal at the moment of critical impact and the person who grabbed him threw coins on the floor.
-Ramona decides to look into who could have done this.
-Kim and Knives form a bond of friendship while Knives learns how to play musical instruments starting with bass(Kim helps her by drumming along with her).
-Ramona meets Kim at her video store job and they discuss her past with Scott.
-Roxie shows up at the video store and fights Ramona.
-This time around, Ramona gets to apologize sincerely(due to no Scott causing friction) and Roxie accepts the apology.
-Ramona decides maybe she should have a heartfelt conversation with all of her exes to settle things peacefully, while also investigating to see if they had anything to do with Scott's disappearance.
-Gideon Graves reveals his real name to Julie as Gordon Goose(was this in the comic book?) who she used to know in high school, he is at a low point in life since he's no longer in charge.

Episode 4:

-Opens with 'United States of Whatever' playing while Lucas Lee skateboards around(cool scene).
-Lucas Lee's movie career has been failing and his agent has only one role left for him(I forgot if this detail was in the movie).
-Ramona goes to the movie studio and sees that Young Neil is at the movie studio because it turns out that his script from earlier is being used for the Lucas Lee movie.
-The movie is the plot to the actual Scott Pilgrim film(meta).
-The director's name is 'Edgar Wrong' (made me chuckle).
-Lucas Lee plays Scott Pilgrim in the movie, looks as funny and ridiculous as it sounds.
-Envy Adams set to star as Ramona.
-While talking to Ramona after a filming a scene, Lucas comments about how unrealistic the 'happily ever after' plot sounds in the original Scott Pilgrim film script.
-Lucas has a fight scene with the paparazzi(who are ninjas on skateboards with cameras).
-Really cool skateboarding scene/fighting scene mixture.
-Lucas gets knocked down during the fight into another building. Has a heart to heart with Ramona and says she's the reason he became the star he is today. She offers to help him and he accepts.
-He gets fired from the movie production after leaving the set with Ramona and he decides to just leave and process where he's going next in life(probably skateboarding career).

Episode 5:

-Vegan Todd is now starring as the lead in the Scott Pilgrim movie.
-Ramona takes the place of the stunt double for Envy who's playing as Ramona in the movie, in order to speak to Todd.
-Vegan Todd is a terrible actor and keeps being too romantic with Envy on set.
-Wallace suggests a change to the director and the director has Wallace and Todd have a kiss scene in order to distract Todd from Envy.
-Todd has sparks with Wallace and realizes he's bisexual/now in love with Wallace.
-Wallace says he's only doing this for the sake of acting and doesn't care about Todd.
-Todd warps away into his trailer in anger. Envy blames Wallace for this and they fight.
-Envy asks Ramona to help and Wallace uses stunt doubles(call back to Lucas Lee movie fight).
-Fight stops once Ramona realizes why they're fighting.
-Due to realizing he has never had a truly meaningful relationship, Todd gets depressed and eats loaded fries.
-After discussion, Ramona realizes it wasn't Todd who made the portal and took Scott.
-Matthew Patel shows up in a helicopter to shut down the movie due to it being inaccurate.
-Stephen Stills and Knives pitch a musical to Patel instead with him as the lead.
-Ramona talks to him and found out he is now in charge of Gideon's empire.

Episode 6:

-Lucas calls Gideon, they end up hanging out, playing video games, board games, paintball, and skateboarding like good friends. They did all of this inside of Julie's house however so her place is now wrecked.
-Knives, Kim, and Stephen Stills work on music together due to them successfully convincing Matthew Pattel to bankroll their music venture.
-Scott's friends and Young Neil finally find out that it wasn't a sleep paralysis demon that wrote his script for him.
-Julie tells Gideon's backstory, as Gordon Goose, to Ramona and how he moved away to a different school after being bullied.
-Ramona questions why Gideon is normal and not revenge-filled when spending time with Julie(She's starting to slowly understand that she's the problem/common denominator when it comes to all of her exes).
-Julie comes back to her house with Ramona, angry. Kicks out Lucas Lee.
-Lucas Lee says that he's broke from spending too much and is unable to fly back to LA on his current funds. He is only getting roles lately voicing animated characters(meta).
-Ramona meets back up with Scott's friends because she feels she has solved who took Scott. Tells the backstory about the twins.
-Knives points out the similarity between Ramona dating two people at once and Scott doing the same to her.
-Ramona thinks it was this Robot(who was always present in the background watching other exes during most critical moments of the show).
-Knives reveals to Ramona that the file date for the script written for Young Neil was written 14 years in the future.
-Scott shows up again right before they go to interrogate the twins, says it was him(from the future) who did it.

Episode 7:

-They begin by revealing what happened to Scott when he went through the portal(time/dimensional tunnel).
-37 year old Scott Pilgrim reveals himself once they land in the future.
-Episode shows off cool future tech.
-Old Scott said that fighting the exes and winning was the biggest mistake of his life.
-Old Scott brings him into a VR room and uses the VR tech to show him what happened.
-Shows Ramona/Scott marriage, honeymoon in Florida, anniversary, and then finally a divorce that happens 12ish years later
-Sex Bob-omb disbanded, he's now in a group with the twins(after they respawned) and makes pop/edm/80s style music that barely gets views on youtube.
-39 year old Wallace is still his roommate. Wallace has a sugar daddy husband who works at Nintendo(and he gets to live in a nice place, free games, and Nintendo rumors).
-Wallace barely/never sees his husband.
-Old Scott gets mad at Wallace because Wallace was the one who said Scott should go back and chance things(due to Scott having so many regrets).
-Old Scott reveals that the twins helped him build the time travel device.
-Old Scott claims that Ramona is the problem(hints at the fact that she has so many exes).
-Young scott was the one controlling the robot in the past and sees how much Ramona cares about finding Scott.
-Future Ramona is still a mail courier, ends up meeting young Scott.
-Future Ramona reveals she also went back in time and gave Young Neil the script, as she built time traveling skates from old DeLorean parts.
-Future Ramona says that yes her plan was dumb but she had to try something.
-Future Ramona ends up bringing Young Scott back to the present.
-Scott and Ramona can't be together yet, because there is now a forcefield stopping them and they don't know why. They feel that they must defeat the exes in order for the correct future to exist.
-They make a plan to have all of the exes gather at the same place(the Scott Pilgrim musical play premiere).

Episode 8:

-Scott asks to fight Vegan Todd first but he refuses. He has no reason to fight due to what happened in the earlier episode.
-Scott then turns to fight Matthew Patel, but Patel refuses also. He is there for the musical play premiere and his role in it.
-Scott turns again to face Gideon, and Gideon refuses because he's in a chill relationship with Julie.
-Scott then asks Lucas, Roxie, and the twins, and all of them have no reason to fight him and all exes deny placing a force field on him.
-They all sit next to each other in the theater.
-Exes have all had their chance to get closure with Ramona, support Scott and Ramona together(they even make a little fun telling them to kiss).
-Musical happens with Patel playing the lead of Scott.
-All of them get warped into space(?) on the moon.
-Gideon reveals he put dynamite under the stage to blow up Patel for earlier but it doesn't matter now.
-An even older Scott reveals himself(looks like Gouken from Street fighter(?)). Warns young Scott again about being with Ramona. Reveals that he made the force field between them.
-Older Scott says that nothing changed even when they get rid of the Force Field. Him and Ramona still part ways in the future. He ends up hitting the gym really hard when they broke up and is now jacked.
-Older Scott wants to destroy everything to stop it all.
-They all fight Older Scott (really fun fight scene, and they use the fighting moves, powers, and music from the video game)
-Gideon learns how to shoot a beam(zoning attack) but it doesn't matter as Older Scott tanks it with dark hadou.
-Ramona sends everyone back using her backpack except her and Young Scott and they fight Older Scott together.
-Future Ramona shows up to talk Older Scott down. She separated from him due to her wanting space.
-Scott says 'go ahead and run away again like you always do' as the show reveals she has always done this with every one of her exes (again, she's the problem).
-Ramona learns the power of self-confidence(not running away).
-Future Ramona and Young Ramona merge into a God who looks like Super Sonic. She snaps her fingers and warps Older Scott back to his time.
-God Ramona breaks the force field and tells Scott to keep in mind that she will break the cycle and not fall prey to her own past behavior and to please believe in her because she loves him.
-They kiss and they end up back in the theater like nothing happened. Ramona's Exes and Scott's friends are all good friends in the end too.

Epilogue:

-Sex Bob-omb now has Knives as a backup keys(piano) player.
-Stephen Stills and Knives become music producers, help Envy Adams record an album.
-Ramona becomes a full-time stuntwoman.
-Scott Pilgrim's musical play won tons of awards. It is assumed that Matthew Patel is doing fine because of this(?).
-Roxie and Todd are now both together and Vegans again. Roxie is motivating Todd to stay in shape.
-Kim's Video store closed down.
-Lucas Lee is now a Barista and Bartender. He has an eye for Kim.
-Twins are reading about self-help and Robotics(?).
-Wallace takes a vacation in Paris and meets a guy(assuming it's Nintendo guy).
-Scott...changes his shirt to have a blue heart instead of a red one(?).
-Post Credits Scene: Gideon and Julie now both in evil lair together with dual chairs. Gideon says 'now the real game begins'(nothingburger scene)

My final thoughts(and some notes):

-The name of the show itself gives away what it's about... 'Scott Pilgrim Takes Off' means that they instead focus on everyone else character-wise, and as someone who's only seen the movie, some of it is little insightful but other moments just feel like the writer didn't know what to do with certain characters, so for them it was just a little more of what was already in the movie.

-From my above point, one of the larger problems that tends to happen in media occurs with most of the female characters on the show, and it is the fact that nearly every time a female character was on screen, they were simply talking about the male character in the show that they love and nearly nothing else of worth about themselves or their own lives. Knives might have been the only character who didn't fall prey to this issue and thus was written a bit better than the other female characters in terms of her actual growth. It's odd because she was the complete opposite and exactly that type of character in the movie.

-The fight scenes are really well animated and creative. Seriously mpressive stuff and these alone are worth watching on youtube when they're eventually uploaded.
-Lines missing from original scenes in episode 1 is an odd choice, but it makes sense once you realize this isn't exactly a retelling.

-I don't know what it is about certain voiceover booth recordings, but nearly every character(even with the actors who were already 30+ in the original movie) have deeper sounding voices in this movie, to the point where I had to double check to make sure that they actually brought back the actors to do these roles. There's more bass to their voices than there ever was in the live action movie. I eventually became used to it over time.

-Every episode begins with a scene where Ramona goes through the process of changing her hair color(I assume to indicate that a week has passed?).

-A few non-fight scenes are oddly blurry and I'm not sure if this is an artistic choice or an error.

-Ramona's flashbacks are now about the nicer moments of her exes instead of trying to paint them all as evil exes. At the end of the day they're just dudes(and 1 girl) and it was nice to see.

Finally for those who care(cause I know you do 🤷‍♂️ ), there was one moment in Episode 5 where the writing seemed a bit shaky and slightly pandering I guess depending on who you ask. It's odd though because one episode prior they made fun of a guy who was acting out a movie scene as a gay character and he was hamming up the gay along with using gay inflection in his voice, and then he turned around and asked the director the equivalent of 'this is how it's supposed to be done right?' Other than these two scenes which were pretty short, I didn't notice any other pandering stuff.

If anything I was actually pleasantly surprised that they didn't preach that men should be blamed for what Ramona did to her exes. They really wanted to show that she fucked up, she has to do better, and that she had to own up to that throughout the show and apologize to them all.. I found this boldness to be pretty cool because there are quite a few shows today that would never do this with a female lead and would simply shit on men with zero lessons learned, as we've all seen before. I guess what I'm saying is that there was not a separation of the sexes nor 'rah rah you go girl' energy here as some are trying to make it out to be, and it was just flawed people being flawed people. To me that's a good way to write. I'm not saying the stuff above is great writing and I don't know if this is good for the Scott Pilgrim property(as many here seem to prefer the fantasy approach for the I.P. and not this harsh reality stuff), but the approach was at least good.

Overall verdict:

I will compare this to a few things to try and give everyone a feeling as to what type of show it is. One of the things I equate it to is a passionate Youtube fan project...like something that took the animators months and months to make but they had fun doing it, and wanted to tell a little side story/alternate story for fun. There's a fan animation someone made of an entire episode of a What-If Dragonball Tale where Vegeta and Broly land on earth during Goku's tenkaichi tournament as a teen.

Another thing I could compare it to is back when Disney released Straight-to-DVD sequels of some of their classic movies. For example it was nice seeing something like Lion King 2. You know it wasn't as good as the first, but it felt good to see Simba and the gang again going on an adventure. I remember watching a Toy Story Straight-to-DVD film where it was just the gang getting into funny situations and not much drama happening. Again, heartwarming stuff because it feels good to see your favorite characters just have a good time.

The last thing I could compare it to is back when developers used to make fun little DLC campaigns for games, like Infamous: Festival of Blood or Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare. Maybe you can also say it's like when you play an RPG and go for a secret friendship ending or something, idk.

Hopefully for anyone reading this, you can look at the verdict and say 'Ah I get it now' and approach the show accordingly instead of expecting an A++ adaptation. This was simply a feel-good addition...a sort of Christmas Special for fans.

Mondai

Just finished it, I thought it was a good show but I wish they would have been more clear on what this show was going to be. The comic story is still a lot better to me and I am still disappointed it wasn't a 1:1 adaptation. And people trying to dismiss people who didn't like it are pretty sad, that being said, I am happy I watched and I hope that someday they actually make the comic story come to life in a animated setting (though I am 90% that is unlikely now).

Blade2.0

I finished this tonight and it was amazing. I liked it more than the comic and the film.

The ending was amazing to me.

when Ramona realizes she was just as much at fault for creating all the evil exes as the exes were themselves because she always ran away from those she loves. Then becomes "true" Ramona to send older Scott back and then tells young Scott "it's never too late to fix a mistake". It was a well deserved ending to me. Then all of the evil exes (no one is truly 100% evil if they try to work on themselves) actually get a good ending, something none of them got a chance at with redemption in the og story. It was great. I loved all the endings for the various characters.

Something I disliked from the film was that Ramona herself didn't feel like much of a character. I never understood Scott's love for her or why he would fight for someone that was pretty much just a catalyst for a fight between him and her exes. Ramona never really got much character development of her own. But this series delves more into her side of thing and I liked how

if she had just talked to her exes after running away then Scott would have never had to fight them in the first place. They were just heartbroken and had no closure. I think it's a commentary on ghosting in our new age society. She asks as older Ramona why older Scott never texted, but she also didn't text him. So again this plays into the point that both of them fucked up.

I don't know why people get so upset about new spins on old takes. I don't need another Spider-Man origin story as long as I live. Give me fresh takes. Give me spiderverse, don't give me amazing Spiderman. I'm all about fresh takes when they're good and this was good.

Jenov

Okay, so that wasn't in the original comics??? Because I got to episode 4 or 5 of this crap thinking it was just extra story left out of the movie, and was really confused as to why...
Pilgrim was dead or er... he was actually kidnapped? :messenger_expressionless:
... and how it was all about Romona and her exes?? I was all thinking, 'god the comic must have sucked and the movie was way better than this boring trash, no wonder they cut it down so much.' LOL. But nope, it's just Netflix being stupid again?? How disappointing. It was pretty cool to hear the actors all come back to reprise their roles in first two episodes, but gets super boring later. I fell asleep somewhere...
around vegan ex being suddenly gay and sleeping with Wallace :messenger_sleeping:
Welp. Not going to finish it then. Big thumbs down, Netflix.

Not sure if this will entice anyone but the Japanese voice dubover uses JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure voice actors(like Jolyne, Pucci, and Jotaro for example).

Edit: I think Vegan Todd is Gojo’s VO from JJK.

Might be fun to listen to on a second watch.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Okay, so that wasn't in the original comics??? Because I got to episode 4 or 5 of this crap thinking it was just extra story left out of the movie, and was really confused as to why...
Pilgrim was dead or er... he was actually kidnapped? :messenger_expressionless:
... and how it was all about Romona and her exes?? I was all thinking, 'god the comic must have sucked and the movie was way better than this boring trash, no wonder they cut it down so much.' LOL. But nope, it's just Netflix being stupid again?? How disappointing. It was pretty cool to hear the actors all come back to reprise their roles in first two episodes, but gets super boring later. I fell asleep somewhere...
around vegan ex being suddenly gay and sleeping with Wallace :messenger_sleeping:
Welp. Not going to finish it then. Big thumbs down, Netflix.
If you finish it, it will at least improve the sour taste from the first 4 episodes...

DrFigs

There's something weird about the voice acting. The performances are so subdued and there's so much silence in between the lines. Very odd choice if it was a choice.

Shifty1897

So they basically did a FF7 Remake here. I went in expecting a
reboot/remake
and got a
sequel

That being said, I thought it was great by the end. It definitely plays with and subverts expectations. Some character changes feel like a leap, but also this is a show where eating vegetables give you super powers so maybe just enjoy it at face value.

Last edited:
Subverting expectations isn't always a bad thing, but this doesn't feel anything like Scott Pilgrim, other than the art style. All of the unique charm and energy present in the graphic novel - and even the movie, albeit to a lesser extent - is gone. I also kind of resent the deceptive marketing, much as I did with Masters of the Universe Revelation. If you're confident in what you're creating, why try to trick people into watching it by misrepresenting it?

Kirye

I expected this to be a straight up remake and I'm glad it wasn't. I really enjoyed seeing these characters outside of Scott have actual character development and story. It was fun and interesting.

When is this set? The 2000s like the manga or 2010 like the movie?

I read Ramona is not a Netflix dvd delivery girl, which dvd implies it's set sometime in the past.

It'd be cool if it was supposed to be a full on 2000s period piece.

Top Bottom