• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poyunch

MattKeil said:
I found the comics to be fairly unimpressive and subject to the "OMG someone mentioned Zelda in another medium!" phenomenon. I loved the movie, though, and I theorize it's because Scott Pilgrim lives or dies (at least for me) on how likable Scott is. The comic Scott is a borderline irredeemable asshole. The film Scott is a much better person and it was easier to buy a hopeful ending for him..
This is funny because I found movie Scott to be whiny, jerky loser but felt that comic Scott was just really stupid and clueless. Plus Ramona's much more likable in the comics.

undrtakr900

Okay just placed my order =)
33y0t9x.jpg

How are the Kick-Ass comics?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
undrtakr900 said:
Okay you guys convinced me to get it and its only $7 dollars which is even better :D

I was reading a bit on Amazon-Preview and they follow the movie to a tee... or the movie follows the comic, like the whole opening scene: "We almost held hands once, but then she got embarrassed" heh

Go for it dude, the series is really great. Just as a heads up, the first book is about the first 15-20 mins of the movie. You'll be back for more before you know it!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
undrtakr900 said:
Okay just placed my order =)
33y0t9x.jpg

How are the Kick-Ass comics?

The Kock-ass book is pretty interesting, I really like it. It's a bit different from the film, some of the characters are really changed but the general story is still there. The art is really good and the violence is so OTT that it's kinda hilarious. If you thought the film was nasty be prepared to lose your shit.

Mr. Sam

Jedeye Sniv said:

Freudian slip?

I didn't really like the Kick-Ass comic, and I generally like Millar's work. It was some of his more juvenile, "shocking" work in my opinion - and the fact that I dislike JRJR's art didn't help matters. I have it up after, I think, four issues.

Mind you, outside of Nic Cage's show-stealing performance, I didn't much care for the film either so take that into account.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Mr. Sam said:
Freudian slip?

I didn't really like the Kick-Ass comic, and I generally like Millar's work. It was some of his more juvenile, "shocking" work in my opinion - and the fact that I dislike JRJR's art didn't help matters. I have it up after, I think, four issues.

Mind you, outside of Nic Cage's show-stealing performance, I didn't much care for the film either so take that into account.

lmao, you can tell where my brain is at this afternoon :\

I was actually having this conversation with my missus the other day, I think Millar is like 90% good but then he has this tendency to be really childish and over the top in an effort to be 'shocking' or 'edgy' or something. He did it in Wanted where the main character is something of a serial rapist and he does it in Kick-Ass with Dave wanking over the vid of the girl from his class and even to a lesser extent the whole of Hit Girl as a character.

That said I love some of the things about Kick-Ass. I really do like the art, although I think it's a much to do with the great colour work as anything else. Also do really love the violence in the book. It's jarring but it's slapstick and IMO pretty funny. Also, the twist with Big Daddy that the film omitted is pretty much the best thing about the book, turned the whole thing on it's head and made it sad rather than triumphant.

Mr. Sam

Yeah, that was a really odd thing about Wanted. I think we were supposed to sympathise - or at least empathise - with this guy that wanted to break free from his boring life and became a master criminal. But instead of going the route of, I dunno, a suave gentleman cat burglar or something, he went the route of a mass-murdering serial rapist that was just as villainous as any of the antagonists. The film adaptation differs for obvious reasons.

But anyway, how about that Scott Pilgrim film, eh?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw this the other day. Loved it, thought it was amazing. It should have done so much better at the box office.

LonelyIsland said:
got this for Christmas from my girlfriend:

156770_10150345959450387_651675386_16391027_869379_n.jpg

only the boxset and poster, I added in the bluray and movie ticket just for kicks.

Really want that box, but it's $17.50 after shipping. Yikes.

Besides I have the (arguably) superior poster anyway.

Yq91x.jpg

undrtakr900

Jedeye Sniv said:
The Kock-ass book is pretty interesting, I really like it. It's a bit different from the film, some of the characters are really changed but the general story is still there. The art is really good and the violence is so OTT that it's kinda hilarious. If you thought the film was nasty be prepared to lose your shit.
Hmm...just checked Amazon and the Kick-Ass #1 is like $50+ dollars, I'm not that big a fan lol
butter_stick said:
The SP comics are much better than the movie. Should be required reading for anyone that liked Vs The World.
I wish I could forget everything from the movie so I could experience the comic fresh and new or I wish I read the comics first.

Fusebox

Banned
MattKeil said:
I found the comics to be fairly unimpressive and subject to the "OMG someone mentioned Zelda in another medium!" phenomenon.

Glad I'm not the only one.

I love comics, but I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed the SP movie because I had tried the SP comic series several times in the past but couldn't get into it.

kai3345

Banned
undrtakr900 said:
Hmm...just checked Amazon and the Kick-Ass #1 is like $50+ dollars, I'm not that big a fan lol
I wish I could forget everything from the movie so I could experience the comic fresh and new or I wish I read the comics first.
just get the trade paperback

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
undrtakr900 said:

Yeah man, you don't want that one, that's the 23 page single issue. You want the ~200 page trade instead. A lot cheaper! Unless you want to become a hardcore nerd you don't want anything with an issue number. What you want is a book number :)

undrtakr900

kai3345 said:
just get the trade paperback
Jedeye Sniv said:
Yeah man, you don't want that one, that's the 23 page single issue. You want the ~200 page trade instead. A lot cheaper! Unless you want to become a hardcore nerd you don't want anything with an issue number. What you want is a book number :)
Ah okay thanks guys, I'm new to this whole comic book thing, I'll remember that.

Dam been 3 days and Amazon still hasn't even started to process the shipping yet, the waiting is killing me lol

Blader

wwm0nkey said:
What the hell happened with the animated series of this :/

I assume it was talked about, then dropped on its ass.

Since when was there going to be a whole series? I thought it was just the handful of shorts that aired on Adult Swim.

I'm watching this movie again right now, and I have to say, it's the perfect movie to have on in the background. The music is just fantastic, while the humor isn't for everyone, I like its quirkiness. The movie looks simply gorgeous on Blu-ray, too!

Summary: Great movie.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
ARINO FROM GAME CENTER CX RECORDING COMMENTARY FOR JAPANESE BLU-RAY OF SCOTT PILGRIM!

REPEAT

ARINO FROM GAME CENTER CX RECORDING COMMENTARY FOR JAPANESE BLU-RAY OF SCOTT PILGRIM!

thank you Ray Barnholt's twitter!

^ Arino with director Edgar Wright

LINK with more pix

This is just what I hoped would happen!... Japan needed to understand that this is their game culture being celebrated!

I'm shocked.
The last time I checked this thread, somewhere across the (wow) 130-something pages - total hate.

I loved it.

Now I check back and it's all fine again. That movie was not perfect but kind of put me in a dream state both times I watched it. Hmmm. So - thumbs up then? From here? I am on board.

BocoDragon

Rahk said:
^ That's awesome. Guess I'll need to get the Japanese Blu-ray too.
Same here! Hopefully it has an English translation? I know a little Japanese, but Arino's dialogue is usually too interesting for my limited understanding.

I scored Retro Game Challenge the other day (LTTP I know) and I'm watching a fansub of GameCenterCX now. Very "Arino" mood recently. :D

thefro

5494348821_3272d79127.jpg

Sakaguchi creeping out Michael Cera. I think that's Matsuno (apparently cured of cancer by watching the movie) next to Gooch

wwm0nkey

Blader5489 said:
Since when was there going to be a whole series? I thought it was just the handful of shorts that aired on Adult Swim.
After the massive positive reaction from the short they where considering doing a series. Obviously things feel through though :/

This
BocoDragon said:
is
thefro said:
5494348821_3272d79127.jpg

Sakaguchi creeping out Michael Cera. I think that's Matsuno (apparently cured of cancer by watching the movie) next to Gooch
amazing.

And I'm just throwing this random awkward Michael Cera pic in here, because I think it's kinda awesome.

54889127-cc6124edf91019e0fb375ae0eb318dce.4b425ce4-full.jpg

I don't know why he was on the Jersey Shore set, but he got Guido'd.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
petethepanda said:
Wait, there's going to be a new commentary for the Japanese BD set?

MUST OWN JAPANESE BD SET
Do you understand Japanese? I get the feeling the new commentary won't necessarily be in English.

Takao

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
After the massive positive reaction from the short they where considering doing a series. Obviously things feel through though :/

You do know that animated series take anywhere from a year to 2 years to be ready to be announced for broadcast?

XiaNaphryz said:
Do you understand Japanese? I get the feeling the new commentary won't necessarily be in English.
I doubt they'd dub over a commentary track (unless the guys actually speak Japanese), it'll probably be subtitled.

BocoDragon

Takao said:
You do know that animated series take anywhere from a year to 2 years to be ready to be announced for broadcast?
Yeah but the movie bombed so it really might not be happening anymore. who knows, really.

I have a quick, maybe stupid, question about this movie. When Scott first meets Ramona at Julie's party, there's a light switch WAAAY up high on the wall they're leaning on. Is this a reference to anything? Or is it just a weird wall?

Summary Man said:
I have a quick, maybe stupid, question about this movie. When Scott first meets Ramona at Julie's party, there's a light switch WAAAY up high on the wall they're leaning on. Is this a reference to anything? Or is it just a weird wall?
Watch the commentaries. Not even they know why it's there

Summary Man said:

From listening to the commentaries, apparently it was part of the building they were filming in. I think they could never figure out why there was one there, but it does make the scene look pretty special.

Guess I need to listen to the commentaries! I don't usually do that for movies, but I'll make an exception for Scott Pilgrim. I've already watched all the other extras (movie studios need to take note. This film has a ton of great special features).

Thanks, guys!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
*listening to commentary* Wait....in the Lucas Lee fight...did they really not know that they were replicating the opening to Ninja Gaiden? No way thats a coincidence :lol :lol

big ander

Re: light switch,
The building was some college frat house and I believe they tried to figure out why it was so high but never could. They loved it though, so it got in the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom