• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
XiaNaphryz said:
2mgvc76.png
damn, those legs.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Kapura said:
Tangentially related; I'm learning to play the bass guitar and today I learned the bassline from Black Sheep, the song Envy Adams is singing before the bass battle.

You should be learning the Final Fantasy II Battle Theme instead dude :p

I would dearly like a full MP3 of the Brie Larson Black Sheep. I love Metric but Brie's performance of that song is great. She sounds so hot.

All this arguing back and forth about the girls in the film is funny too. They're all ridiculously hot
Ramona!! MEW is a goddess

smurfx

get some go again
to those that liked this movie. were you guys fans of arrested development? i never watched that show so i had zero attachment to him and i hated him. well i usually hate all the "geek" actors.

smurfx said:
to those that liked this movie. were you guys fans of arrested development? i never watched that show so i had zero attachment to him and i hated him. well i usually hate all the "geek" actors.
I watched AD, but Cera of AD has nothing to with the Cera of SP.

smurfx said:

Never saw a single episode of Arrested Development. I had attachment to the character he was portraying, not Cera himself, though I wouldn't go as far to say I hate the guy.

big ander

smurfx said:
I guess my thing is that I like funny actors, so that's why I could deal with him.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
brotkasten said:
Missed opportunity for a Pegg and Frost cameo. Would've been so much better.
Yeah but considering they were busy with 'Paul' at the time of shooting, what we got was still awesome.

_dementia said:
Didn't Wright specifically cast North Americans in the film though?

Yeah, he said on the commentary that the guy who plays Patel is actually from London and snuck through the audition without any-one figuring that out, haha

iirate

AbsoluteZero said:
Nick Frost is a bit too doughy to play a believable Vegan.

No offense, Nick Frost.

In all fairness, I'm a "doughy vegan", and I've been one for 3 years. I know a few others, too. Despite the stereotypes, vegans come in all sizes like everyone else.

In fact, one of the vegan police in the comics was quite round IIRC.

Talladega Knight said:
are you saying you wouldn't fuck ellen wong? or am i reading it wrong...

I'm saying I wouldn't go out of my way to... if the opportunity presented itself, then sure, but as far as stupid penis-thought internet discussion goes then no

brotkasten said:
Missed opportunity for a Pegg and Frost cameo. Would've been so much better.

Thomas Jane nailed it. His partner was the douche from Tigerland, right?

And thanks to this movie, I finally checked out Arrested Development. Will Arnett is gold.

GloveSlap

JumpingTheGun said:
Fun fact: the actor next to Thomas Jane voiced Cesar in GTA: San Andreas, as well as played Frankie Flowers in the movie "Traffic"

You're forgetting his best role: Tack the cack in Stoned Age.

I love this movie so much. The sounds, music, and sound editing are so good, its almost like its own character in the movie.

Green Scar said:
I'm saying I wouldn't go out of my way to... if the opportunity presented itself, then sure, but as far as stupid penis-thought internet discussion goes then no
wow, i actually thought she was the hottest girl in the movie (with mary elizabeth a VERY close second).

soultron

Banned
Man, I miss this movie. It was such a fucking event.

I remember reading the comics. Handing them off to my friends and getting to read them.
I remember seeing the movie three times in theatres and laughing every time.
I remember playing the tie-in game with my buddy in the same room. YELLING when the revive timer was counting down and then giving the biggest motherfucking high-fives when we succeeded or killed a boss. We stayed up all night and beat it in one sitting.
I remember listening to the soundtrack and score and getting goosebumps.

Now I'm listening to the game soundtrack by Anamanaguchi and am flooded with all of these stupid sad memories.

Is anyone else sad we'll never really see a movie like this again? It's not really a hipster thing at all. It's just like one big videogame/comicbook dork celebration.

I'm a grown man, for fuck's sakes. Haha. But the release of the movie, playing the game, and reading the comic books was just such an awesome summer experience in 2010.

kyoya

soultron said:
Is anyone else sad we'll never really see a movie like this again? It's not really a hipster thing at all. It's just like one big videogame/comicbook dork celebration.

I'm a grown man, for fuck's sakes. Haha. But the release of the movie, playing the game, and reading the comic books was just such an awesome summer experience in 2010.

I'm with you man, I don't think anything else will compare to this again. If it does, then I want to be there day one. Saw this movie twice in the theater and it just defined my life, being human, figuring out the complexity of relationships and just trying to make it - all in an 8/16-bit context. I wrote Universal a letter thanking them for just making Scott Pilgrim, asked for a promotional coming soon poster of Scott and Ramona, and they sent it to me along with pins and two t-shirts. Gotta love Universal.

I wish I could move to Toronto, drag my feet around the snowy city, and just live in this movie, reside in that apartment where they practiced and grab a slice at Pizza Pizza. It is a big videogame/comicbook dork celebration, but to me, it's also about trying to find your way, dealing with disapointments ("There goes our deal"), picking yourself up and hitting continue. Loved this movie.

All I can do is just listen to the soundtrack (or the lost track "No Fun" I found on YouTube) on my Mp3 player and dream.

Firestorm

I went to a friend's place, played some of the game, out for dinner, came back and watched the movie since of my friends hasn't seen it yet. Still great. It was also my first time watching since I'd moved to Ontario so Second Cup and Pizza Pizza felt more familiar :p

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I actually flew to the US to watch the movie since it wasn't going to be out where I live for about 4 months. I also went to New York and saw Edgar Wright, Anna Kendrick, Michael Cera, and Jason Shwartzman at the SoHo Apple Store. It was totally worth the trip. My talent mancrush on Edgar Wright knows no bounds. He's just something else.

Krispy

I saw this for the first time a few days ago. OH MA GAWD! Why did I wait so long!? Best movie I've seen in a long time.

I saw this recently, and thought all the characters were irritating, unsympathetic whiners. Was the comic like this to? The indie/hipster schtick was fucking dripping off these people.

I thought the bad guys were fun, they at least owned up to being fake.

Oh, Scott's sister and roommate were ok, they came off as believable characters. And of course, the direction was solid. I think this was just a case of bad source material.

Kapura

Banned
JasonUresti said:
I saw this recently, and thought all the characters were irritating, unsympathetic whiners. Was the comic like this to? The indie/hipster schtick was fucking dripping off these people.

I thought the bad guys were fun, they at least owned up to being fake.

Oh, Scott's sister and roommate were ok, they came off as believable characters. And of course, the direction was solid. I think this was just a case of bad source material.
OK, but weren't the chicks pretty hot?

JasonUresti said:

Yea, I agree with this part. Call me crazy but I'm one that didn't like the comic but loved the movie. Didn't really find it neithor funny nor relatable. The movie tho had such great music and action that the comic lacks. The only parts I wasn't so hot about was Scott and Ramona, all the other characters were infinitely more funny and interesting.

Rikkun

soultron said:

I remember reading the comics. Handing them off to my friends and getting to read them.
I remember seeing the movie three times in theatres and laughing every time.
I remember playing the tie-in game with my buddy in the same room. YELLING when the revive timer was counting down and then giving the biggest motherfucking high-fives when we succeeded or killed a boss. We stayed up all night and beat it in one sitting.
I remember listening to the soundtrack and score and getting goosebumps.

Now I'm listening to the game soundtrack by Anamanaguchi and am flooded with all of these stupid sad memories.

Heh, I loved it too.
The main problem is I usually see films etc. and do connections with my actual life. So Scott Pilgrim, for now, means my latest evil-ex girlfriend. Before I thought she was some kind of Knives, so I broke up with her because god, I can't stay with a person if I'm not 100% sure.
Then I realized something was missing, so I went back and... obviously, she could stay with a person just waiting for someone *better* to show up.

Then hate and stuff comes out and suddenly I hate Scott Pilgrim, I can't listen to the OST while driving, can't read the comics when I'm tired... It'll take time but I really enjoyed the ride. I even tried his pick-up line once but.. no luck.

@kyoka: You really love it.. thumbs up for Universal! I'd like to visit Toronto someday, the extras in the Blu-Ray made me even more curious.

mj1108

VGChampion said:
Is it $10 for good now? Just checked Best Buy and they're selling it at that price as well.

If you haven't bought this yet, it's a steal for $10. Hell, it's worth $29.99. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom