• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Stars has sold over 250,000 units in its first week

I blame subscriptions for this cannibalization
Erm plenty of games sales have been cannibalised by subs. But I know your post is yet another game pass defence force post.

Anyway Back on PS1 days a game was considered a huge success if it sold over 100k units, especially for lower budget titles and RPGs.

You can make a great game with a lower budget.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I'm 17 hours in, enjoying it a lot.

Can't help but wonder how much higher the sales would be if not on a two subscription services.

Double the current sales possibly.

ByWatterson

I'm 17 hours in, enjoying it a lot.

Can't help but wonder how much higher the sales would be if not on a two subscription services.

Double the current sales possibly.

Maybe? But these dudes are getting paid no matter what. Huge success, so excited for them.

sachos

Around 8hrs in, so far it has been pretty good. So happy for them! I guess its good they sold so much considering they have the game in both sub services. I hope they got a good sum of money from both Xbox and PS. The art in the game is soo good and the music too. Getting a little bored of the constant timing of X Button Press during combat, i think i may activate the relic that automates the process.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
And they took MS and Sony's bag

Think About It GIF by Identity

Ozzie666

I would love to know the return on investment for this including sales and taking Microsoft and Sony cash payments. Seems very profitable. Goes to show smaller games can do well. Also goes to show pixel art is not dead and people love it. I do wonder if they knew how weill it would be received, would they have taken the bags of cash from Sony and Microsoft, or would they havd sold 500k copies already.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Undeserved judging from the 17 hours I’ve played so far. But I guess being kickstarted, having literal thousands of backers thanked in the game itself and having Yasunori Mitsuda as guest composer is enough to achieve this kind of success. The 95% metascore it had in the first few days after release was frankly ridiculous.

Thief1987

Undeserved judging from the 17 hours I’ve played so far. But I guess being kickstarted, having literal thousands of backers thanked in the game itself and having Yasunori Mitsuda as guest composer is enough to achieve this kind of success. The 95% metascore it had in the first few days after release was frankly ridiculous.
Yeah, and even the current score is very inflated IMO. It's a nice little game, but 7/10 is absolute ceiling for it.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I gifted a copy to a friend since I have gamepass to play it on.

Really good game. Need more time with it after starfield.

Top Bottom