• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Stars: This means the world to us. - Sea of stars wins Best Indie Game at Golden Joystick Awards

I do not like the format for these award shows when they only include top aaa games and small indie titles for consideration. They'll usually just phone in a generic "RPG" category that puts some amazing games at the kids table for the holidays, so stellar games like Octopath 2 and SO Second Story R get hosed off the stage for flash and popularity.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I am playing it right now. Decent game but the battle system is too basic. And it kinda drags right now.
This was to be my next purchase but I'm not so sure after this. I'm a huge fan of old-school JRPGs. How does it compare to say Golden Sun or Chrono Trigger, assuming you have played those games?

I don't want a simple turn-based system where you just choose spells, items, attacks, or status effects/boost. There needs to be something unique and engaging about it.

-Zelda-

Banned
dana scully whatever GIF

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This was to be my next purchase but I'm not so sure after this. I'm a huge fan of old-school JRPGs. How does it compare to say Golden Sun or Chrono Trigger, assuming you have played those games?

I don't want a simple turn-based system where you just choose spells, items, attacks, or status effects/boost. There needs to be something unique and engaging about it.
Sorry, there isn’t.
You’ll be using the same moves again and again and again for pretty much the whole game.
There’s no buffs or nerfs or status effects.

Comparing this to the likes of Chrono Trigger is the worst joke of the year.
The game has good graphics and a few good music tracks. Nothing else about it is remarkable after the first very promising 2-3 hours.

bender

What time is it?
The Messenger took a nosedive in quality after the twist. I only played a few hours, if that, of SoS. It just never hooked me.

Hestar69

I am playing it right now. Decent game but the battle system is too basic. And it kinda drags right now.
crazy i'm playing it right now too (about half way 24hrs in) and it dragsssssssssssssssssss..story is meh,combat isn't too bad.everything else is great..Think I got 18 rainbow shells and you need 60 for teh true ending? oof this gonna be rough.

Hestar69

It's a decent game but its no where near CT (haven't played golden shower games yet sadly)

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member

Not sure why you've been given misleading answers to this. The combat system adds layers for the first ten or so hours of play depending on your pace. You do not just choose spells items or attacks.

You participate in both the offense and defense actively ala legend of dragoon/beyond the beyond. The battle system gives you lots of freedom to even use all of your characters at once via instant switching. You have attacks, magic, items, combo attacks with combinations of 2 and 3 characters with every party member and there's a super meter that builds for ultimate attacks on top of that. Enemies have charge attacks that you can disrupt via clever use of different attack types.

That's off the top of my head. I'm going to keep getting shit for this but if sea of stars and chrono trigger were released on the same day in history, CT would not be remembered as fondly as it is. (Obviously sea would have lower fidelity).

Everyone I've recommended the game to has loved it but that's no guarantee you will 🤷

Dev read a book by Jordan Peterson so attempts to cancel were made.

The Messenger referenced Jordan Peterson. Of course following that through to the only logical conclusion, that game was made by nazi oppressors who hate minorities and probably even bowling.
I do not know much about Jordan Peterson but I'm glad I was at least supporting a developer who's not towing the normal line in that industry. I say that because I bought both the Messenger and Sea of Stars a while back.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

I do not know much about Jordan Peterson but I'm glad I was at least supporting a developer who's not towing the normal line in that industry. I say that because I bought both the Messenger and Sea of Stars a while back.
Don’t worry, I’m fairly sure they apologized.

I still haven't finished it... it's good but somewhat overrated, I say that as an old-school gamer, lover of JRPG's and *huge* fan of The Messenger. Blasphemous 2 is my indie of the year 👌

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Really liked the game, the game play is excellent, the turn based system is classic and fresh at the same time, this simple game is miles better than dogshit FFXV and Devil May FFVI slapped together, the story is kinda of meh specially because of the ending

Overall 9/10 gameplay
6/10 story

SantaC

crazy i'm playing it right now too (about half way 24hrs in) and it dragsssssssssssssssssss..story is meh,combat isn't too bad.everything else is great..Think I got 18 rainbow shells and you need 60 for teh true ending? oof this gonna be rough.
Yeah the game isnt that great

SantaC

Both Golden Sun and Chrono Trigger are better games.

Battle system in sea of stars is the most barebones i ever played in a rpg.

Last edited:

Fbh

Can't say I played a lot of other indie games this year, but I did really enjoy this one so well deserved.
My only big issue with it is that locking the true ending behind finding 60 collectibles is such a shit idea.

It's not great but not terrible.

The biggest issue is a lack of variety, like for example the 2 main characters start out with 2 regular skills and by the end of the game they only gain 2 new ones. There's also no buff/debuffs and most skills are basically just a variation of dealing damage or healing, so it can all feel a bit straightforward and like you are just doing the same every turn

That said there's an active element to all parts of combat, you can time button presses to increase the duration or effect of all skills as well as to block and reduce damage, so you feel like you have a more active role during combat.
One of the core mechanics of combat is that enemies will begin to charge up more powerful attacks (which takes several turns) and you can interrupt those if you manage to hit them with a specific combination of elements before they cast the ability, so a big part of the strategy (specially during boss battles) is figuring out which skill combination will allow you to interrupt their attacks in the specified number of turns.

There's also combination attacks like in Chrono Trigger, but I didn't like the implementation. You basically have to charge them up (and it resets after every battle) so during most regular battles you don't really get to use them a lot (you'll either win before they are charged up or you'll get to use them once you've basically already won)

Top Bottom