• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA doesn't "have any plans to release console ports" of HOTD4 & VF5

Wunderchu

Kettobase said:
Straight from Famitsu

Sega confirmed that its new Lindergh arcade system is not based on any next generation consoles, instead it is powered by Imagination Technologies' high-end PowerVR graphic processor.

- Sega mentioned that they don't have any plans to release console ports of the upcoming arcade titles The House of the Dead 4 and Virtua Fighter 5, both games will run on the next generation Lindbergh arcade system.

Head over to Magicbox if you want to read it for yourself, I told you all! That E3 stuff was running on their new arcade and not the Xbox 360. Sega has been showcasing VF on their arcade boards first since the beginning.
[source: http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=361497 ]

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Given the sales of VF4, I call bullshit.

HotD4, possibly. (What, not even a DS port, Sega?)

But VF5? Nu-uh.

At most, you won't see VF5 this gen. But that's not much of a stretch.

Mrbob

Sega doesn't have plans to release console ports of VF5 and HotD4? Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook! :lol

SaitoH

Maybe they mean they plan on releasing HoTD4 "special home edition" and VF5 "special home edition", but not the arcade versions.

>_>

Saggy wants a new hat.

moneyhat.gif

SaitoH

belgurdo said:
Nobody bought HOTD3 and VF4 only gets recognition in tournaments

VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 | 623,733 |

VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 EVO | 252,184 |

HOUSE OF THE DEAD III | 204,596 |

While I realize HoTD 3 didn't sell well, and VF4 isn't as big a brand here as SC, or Tekken, they are still pretty lucrative titles, IMO. Especially VF.

*shrugs*

Drexon

Banned
Wunderchu said:
and from game critics..; http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/563568.asp?q=virtua fighter

.. I can't understand the lack of popularity of the VF series among casual gamers... despite the amazingly high reviews VF4: Evo has gotten, it's sales have not been that good :(
I started out at ground zero on fighting games a couple of years ago, and in my hands I had VF4 and Guilty Gear XX. I wound up with GGXX.

VF4 was just boring, and frankly TOO deep for my tastes. I know it's ironic that I say that, now, like 3 years later when I still haven't reached the depths of GG, but it just went boring really fast for some reason. Like it was a simulator fighter or something. Everything was frame stats this and good damn you have to be fast at the stick that. GG is just good clean fun with a versitile fighting system that you can approach from many different angles. VF4 is more 'OK so you learned how to triple throw evade, now do that for the rest of your life, kthx, next phase'.

Good, after seeing those pics of HoTD i'd rather the games be completely reworked for console releases. It'd be a shame for a new VF to be topped so easily after always looking so much better than its competition in previous versions.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The sales for The House of the Dead III are quite good for a lightgun game, and Virtua Fighter, while nowhere near as successful on PS2 in every market combined as it was on Saturn just in Japan with VF2, is still one of Sega Sammy's stronger properties. The home console market overall continues to lose Sega Sammy money and therefore gives them good reason to keep most of their content in the one market which makes them money -- enough money to keep all of Sega profitable as a whole -- the arcades, but they continue to look at home conversions of those games which are sure bets.

This latest statement released by the company is just to reiterate that the games were not being demonstrated on the hardware of any of the consoles and are also not being announced for any home port at this time.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
SolidSnakex:
Good, after seeing those pics of HoTD i'd rather the games be completely reworked for console releases. It'd be a shame for a new VF to be topped so easily after always looking so much better than its competition in previous versions.
Should've seen them actually running.

B E N K E

I think it's a safe bet we'll see both for consoles. House of the Dead did decent numbers on Dreamcast and was one of the better selling non-sport Sega games on Xbox. Virtua Fighter is defintively coming, maybe not until PS3 launches but it's coming.

Pimpwerx

Will HOTD4 be a problem with HDTVs? VF5 will see multiple ports though, IMO. And Lindbergh ain't shit going by the HOTD4 screens. PEACE.

"we don't have any plans to convert these games to console" - a PR person at SOJ

"so how's the console version planning coming along boys? oh and somebody email PR and tell them that we're not "planning anything at this stage" or something, OK?" - somebody not in PR at SOJ

Boring, transparent lies!

KyotoMecca said:
"we don't have any plans to convert these games to console" - a PR person at SOJ

"so how's the console version planning coming along boys? oh and somebody email PR and tell them that we're not "planning anything at this stage" or something, OK?" - somebody not in PR at SOJ

Boring, transparent lies!

Yeah it's more like "We have no plans of telling you about the home console versions of HotD4 and VF5 until we've made lots and lots of money in the arcade, 'cause it's the only place we actually make money these days".

Mooreberg

Wunderchu said:
and from game critics..; http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/563568.asp?q=virtua fighter

.. I can't understand the lack of popularity of the VF series among casual gamers... despite the amazingly high reviews VF4: Evo has gotten, it's sales have not been that good :(

You have to understand that arcades have been in decline for a long time in the U.S., and the franchise wasn't available on a console that wasn't destined to be a distant third place until 2002 (and I mean outside of Japan, since Saturn did well there).

Namco had the benefit of being widely recognized going among the PlayStation fanbase going into this generation. I'm pretty sure Tekken Tag is still the top selling PS2 launch title (around 1.3 million or so).

On top of that, the 3D fighting game genre as a whole isn't nearly as popular this gen as it was last gen (along with 3D platformers and horror games... just compare the sales at magic box).

Considering the fact that arcades aren't a way to bolster a game's presence in the U.S., and how brazenly stupid Sega has been in the console sector for the past ten years, VF4 faired pretty well. Who knows how much bigger it could have been if it hand't been preceded with releases on less popular systems, but given what 3D fighters sell these days, it's done well enough.

The one thing that amazes me is that even now, Sega doesn't make an arcade board based on one of the consoles (or even an nvidia or ati gpu) that would make porting to home much smoother and result in a more polished product. Namco has benefitted from this tremendously. Or maybe Sammy really only gives a shit about the money they can make from amusement and arcade machines in Japan. They dropped publishing rights on Darkwatch.

I'd still be very surprised if it didn't end up on a home console. Microsoft would have their first genuine foot into the door as far as Japan goes, rather than rolling the dice on new RPG's that may or may not catch on.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Um, didn't Yu Suzuki, while on the crackpipe, say at various points that VF3, and then, VF4 would 'not be ported to home consoles'?

I sure remember Suzuki claiming VF3 wouldn't be ported at all before the Dreamcast launch. And I kinda remember him claiming VF4 might not be ported to a home system either.

You never know.

Sega did once try to abandon their money horse and mascot(Sonic) in their Saturn days, so anything is possible with Sega.

Ponn

Banned
One problem, which I already ran into with HotD 3 was HD TV. I really wanted to play it but light gun games won't work on RP TV's. Now with 360 and PS3 pushing HD coupled with the fact that the cheapest and best HD TV's to get are the RP LCD/DLP types more and more people won't be able to play the game. I know a moot point but considering the whole Light Gun genre on home console is becoming pretty niche those people are the most likely ones to be wanting to buy the game.

Andrew2

Banned
It doesn't suprised either. I wouldn't even be suprised if VF5 is designed like Quest of D right down to the interface -- another incentive to keep the game arcade exclusive thus forcing gamers back to the arcades

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I thought they said a while ago when talking about the arcade networking of VF4 that the grand plan for VF5 was to have people at home playing against people in the arcade, and the same player data usable in both?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Andrew2 said:
It doesn't suprised either. I wouldn't even be suprised if VF5 is designed like Quest of D right down to the interface -- another incentive to keep the game arcade exclusive thus forcing gamers back to the arcades

Arcades are dead. Deal with it. Midway sucks, too. ;p

Top Bottom