• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Teknoman

So with my recent realization that X-Men Arcade has been desisted for like 3 years now...

I should be able to emulate it on Dreamcast right?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Could you point me to some? I came in with VF4 and I'd really like to learn VF3 properly.

I realized in the birthday thread that I now have wired internet in my room now so I can use my broadband adapter without any trouble. Are any DC games still online through private servers?

Sorry I missed this...
This FAQ has a good explanation of the game's movement system, which once broken into turns VF3 into a completely different game.
Korean step takes practice, I'm still learning it, but it makes a huge difference.
Beyond that there's combo stuff, is there a particular character you'd like to use in VF3? I can tell you what I know about any character.

Tain

CT3 also contains the arcade city and cast for CT1 but IIRC the game performs worse for some reason. It has the new features like multi-fares as well.

I guess I just like prefer the simplicity of CT1 lol

I think CT1's city in CT3 performs fine. I think. The other cities have a lot of slowdown.

CT3's additions to the city are great and jumping is fun, but there's something about the jerkiness of CT1 that I prefer. I wish I had time to dig into it.

Gyrian

you're gonna have to put on a clinic about that one, i tried it out the other night and it seems really interesting but fuck me i've no idea how not to die

In the exploration portions, the key is to mark the scares as best you can. Some of them are random, some of them are always there. There's some meter management here, as you can't just mark everything. Use your spidey-sense: if something looks classic horror movie suspicious, keep your distance.

On enemy encounters, most times you'll want to run away. Options improve as the game progresses, though.

CsqNBXNWYAAZ5n_.jpg
CsqNBXOWEAAswCF.jpg

y'all see this modded jump pack?

schopaia

Time to expand the Dreamcast library, courtesy of Gamestop:

Kinda wish I had boxes for more of these, though. I expected most of these to be box-less, but still kinda expected more than just... one... and for the cheapest game of the set, at that...

(And considering Gamestop seems to consider the Dreamcast console a SNES product, I guess Illusion of Gaia there is also Dreamcast.)

How do the discs from gamestop look? Are any of them resurfaced?

kunonabi

Sorry I missed this...
This FAQ has a good explanation of the game's movement system, which once broken into turns VF3 into a completely different game.
Korean step takes practice, I'm still learning it, but it makes a huge difference.
Beyond that there's combo stuff, is there a particular character you'd like to use in VF3? I can tell you what I know about any character.

Probably Aoi. I'm characterless in VF these days so I've been thinking of switching to her since she's always been my favorite as far as character design goes.

How do the discs from gamestop look? Are any of them resurfaced?
I never actually bothered to look, so I checked a few of them this morning on my way out to work, and I couldn't spot any scratches - probably resurfaced, then?

Kinda wish I had the boxes & manuals, though.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Whats the deal with Kage's second outfit in VF3TB? Shiny pants and a mesh shirt but still ninja mask?

1996 was a strange time for japanese fashion

with VF3 everyone got new costumes, some were really great like Lion's 1P

tumblr_o1wmvyLG911slig2vo1_400.gif

I also really, really like shun's 2P costume, probably my favorite costume of his in any VF!

tumblr_npbrpoRHvd1slig2vo1_400.gif

kage's is strange... but they were trying new things with VF3, across the board.

tumblr_oe18c4EDsg1slig2vo1_400.gif

luka

Loves Robotech S1
so whats the general consensus on eldorado gate? i just impulse bought the first 3 volumes and wondering if it's worth tracking down the rest.

fenners

so whats the general consensus on eldorado gate? i just impulse bought the first 3 volumes and wondering if it's worth tracking down the rest.

The imports always looked interesting & the series idea was cool, but the heavy Japanese language dependency (It's a JRPG after all) scared me away. Did it ever get translated?

IrishNinja

yeah, i was heavily interested since learning it was an episodic JRPG (goddamn, sega really did have it first on everything) but i dont know that ive seen it translated, or itd be on that

also: checked back on the Segagaga fan translation blog as i always do...nothin'. siggghhhhhhh

Teknoman

yeah, i was heavily interested since learning it was an episodic JRPG (goddamn, sega really did have it first on everything) but i dont know that ive seen it translated, or itd be on that

also: checked back on the Segagaga fan translation blog as i always do...nothin'. siggghhhhhhh

Man its been how many years since that last update?

Teknoman

Regina must've seen some things.
*Walks up on dude completely ripped in half*
"...Well thats disgusting." in the most non-phased tone of voice.

Damn.

Galdelico

the 5 S's

Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, Space Channel 5 pt 2

SEGA BASS FISHING

Super Street Fighter II X man.

Also, speaking of fighting games... I know the US reprint of Mortal Kombat Gold is better than the first one, but how does the PAL version compare to it? Is is safe or just buggy/lacking as the original American release?

Galdelico

^ Holy mother. O_O
That's what happens when you buy games when they come out, and then pretty much never check them out again, to see how much they run for nowadays. Jesus.

Galdelico

if u own arcade ports or rpgs check the price on them cuz some of them are valuable
Not that I had any plan to sell them anyway, but I would've never expected to see this kind of prices. Games such as Zero Gunner 2, Border Down or the above mentioned SSFII went up quite considerably. And funny to see how mental-high some low-tier PAL conversions fly nowadays.

I wonder if I should just get that cheap sealed PAL Mortal Kombat Gold, regardless it's better or worse than the US red-disc reprint. I mean, you never know...

Coda

Recently picked up the Dreamcast version of CvS2 and couldn't be any happier with how great it looks with a VGA box and scanline generator. Absolutely destroys the PS2 version in terms of look and feel.

Timu

Nice.

I've just got an SD card reader and have been messing with Dreamshell. That's a great solution for not much money.

Is GDEMU a lot better?

The SD card reader is limited by the slow read speed of the serial port. It's slower than the disc drive so you can run into issues with games that are constantly streaming data from the disc.

GDEMU, since it replaces the disc drive, does not have that issue.

The SD card reader is limited by the slow read speed of the serial port. It's slower than the disc drive so you can run into issues with games that are constantly streaming data from the disc.

GDEMU, since it replaces the disc drive, does not have that issue.
Understood.

I'd only add that with some games, even though the throughput of the serial port is slower than the CD drive, the SD card over serial has zero seek times so games with many files/heavy use of the CD actually load faster from SD than even an optimised CD. Vanishing Point is one such game.

Has anybody done the IDE/CF mod?

Jacqli

I have a weird problem with one of the VMUs.
Every time I plugged it in a socket of the controller (I have two and I have already tried all possibilities), the controller is no longer recognized. Besides, if I try to transfer a save data from the other VMU I have (which works fine), the faulty one always "switches off" (in quotations because it does not switch off like when you press the sleep button, it would still shows marks on the screen from the menu) and, therefore, the copy process fails.

Using it in isolation seems to work fine: I could erase all the save data thinking that this could solve the problem, but no such luck. I even opened it in order to see if there was something obviously wrong, but everything seems physically fine.

What can I do? :(

KC-Slater

I just sold my Naomi Universal Upright cabinet that has a beautiful 29" tri-sync display in perfect shape. (Amazing geometry and absolutely no burn-in. The pull in the bottom corners is a result of the speakers.)

As much as it killed me to part with it, it was heavy as hell, and super bulky, despite looking very sleek.

(Cross-)Posting this for catharsis, lol.

8StZbO1l.jpg

Iv7LpbXl.jpg

Top Bottom