• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega is Bringing Cosmic Smash to VR?!?

coffinbirth

FnK0FR4WYAMGimC.jpg

Woke up today from a text from my friend that simply said Cosmic Smash VR, and lo and behold... it appears as though Sega are in fact teasing Cosmic Smash in SOME fashion. They posted this crypic business over on Twitter. I assume this will be like REZ Infinite, but details are scant.
Any Cosmic Smash fans here jumping for joy?!? Thoughts?

https://www.polygon.com/23567653/sega-cosmic-smash-vrs-teaser-dreamcast

https://csmashvrs.com/

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wonder if it will be like Rez, playable with a gamepad/flat or go all in on VR like, I guess, something like Racket :Nx. Either way, like this managed, it has to offer a lot of hidden and obvious substance to get people to buy in a simple concept that may come off lame like single player VR pong.

Depth is a given if it plays like the original like Rez (mind Cosmic Smash came first), look at all those special moves employed just right to clear the levels, but for VR they will need to device some superb mechanics from scratch like Racket: Nx rather than just go, here's a racket, ball and targets.

Sparc had good ideas but sadly didn't catch on (probably because of the lack of any kind of single player content, especially for being an early VR title). Rec Room's Paddleball is similar if simple.​

Last edited:

dan76

Wait, What!?! Amazing if true. Seems like a good fit. I remember importing it back in the day. Had a weird transparent cover - wish I still had it.
Hopefully Sega will start porting some of their later arcade titles.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Skimming that vid it looks like VGE predictably doesn't even know you can jump (and wall jump) and do all kinds of trick shots rather than just "charge" your shot with the special button (or jump + shot as the arcade only had two buttons but on Dreamcast you could have them as 3 separate ones).

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Wait, What!?! Amazing if true. Seems like a good fit. I remember importing it back in the day. Had a weird transparent cover - wish I still had it.
Hopefully Sega will start porting some of their later arcade titles.
Yes!
Unfortunately Cosmic Smash has crept up in price over the years. Can still be had for $100, and probably worth it if you collect DC and/or aren't into emulation.

Wouldn't it be wild if 20 years later Cosmic Smash FINALLY got the attention it deserves? Would love to see this be successful and coax Sega into making a proper sequel.
Just thinking about the possibilities a sequel could bring to the table gets the juices flowing. Imagine a full online presence, matchmaking, daily/weekly challenges, worldwide tournaments, time attack and even a world tour/career mode would be so cool. Even a single player campaign with boss battles or player battles. Sign me up Sega, I would gladly lend a hand making this happen! :messenger_horns:

coffinbirth

Cosmic Smash was the first import I ever bought next to Ikaruga - bought both at the same online shop.
CS still has one of the coolest game packaging out there.
While Smash is not the best game - its decent and had potential - awesome to see its not forgotten.
Indeed.
It certainly has potential to be truly great with some tweaking and additional content...but...Cosmic Smash is, at it's heart, an arcade game. It's not incredibly deep or anything, just a very slick, weird as hell, Sega arcade game. Putting this into VR just makes sense, just like Rez before it. Hopefully Sega take advantage of this opportunity to flesh it out more and possibly add multiplayer or something. Will be interesting to see how they go about it, at any rate.

Top Bottom