• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega seemed to hit its peak around early 1994, then WTF happened?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm no expert by any means but it seems like Sega was incredibly paranoid of Nintendo/Sony and reactionary in the worst way because of it. 32x, Saturn launch, Dreamcast rush.

Sega of America and Sega of Japan miscommunication. Just truly awful business decisions.

Alphagear

20 years later, it's good to see Sega West and Japan are doing solid games and have exciting projects like the Isolation Team FPS, Soul Hackers 2, a AAA open world (Team PSO2 with bigger budget for a "Super game"), RE Fantasy and a new Sega Japan Studio in Sapporo...

The dark fate of Sega is definetely over.

Great to see.

SEGA will continue to be fine provided they don't get into the hardware business again.

fart town usa

Gold Member
32X and then the surprise launch of Sega Saturn. That was abandoned around 98 and then the Dreamcast came out in 99. It was a great system but unfortunately the PS2 came out shortly thereafter with a Blu-ray player. Dreamcast dead in 2001.
tom cruise laughing GIF

I know it's a typo but love it all the same.

Very true; I would honestly put a lot of Sega's best from the 16-bit, 32-bit, 6th-gen eras (and the arcade systems within those) up there with Nintendo's. However, Nintendo was always MUCH better at long-term IP retention. They successfully carried IP like Mario and Zelda across generations, which is partly why they became so big. Sega more or less failed to carry Sonic from Genesis/MegaDrive to the Saturn, and that was one of their marquee IP.

They also repeated the same mistake with multiple other IP: Streets of Rage, Ristar (IMO Astal should've probably been a Ristar expansion and they could've done a sequel the following year. Either that, or scrap BUG! for Ristar), Phantasy Star, Eternal Champions are just a few examples. Others like Shinobi did get transitioned to Saturn, but with little in way of innovations to make them stand out.
Yea, if there's one thing *any* company can learn from Nintendo, it's how to treasure your own properties/successes and capitalize on them. They are loyal to their victories, and it has paid of in spades for them. I don't think Sega ever gave the proper respect to their successful creations, treating them as afterthoughts much of the time. That's not how you stay in the game...sadly for them.

pramod

Banned
Maybe be because games like SOR2 weren't peak Sega but peak Ancient:

SOR2= Ancient Game (95%) with a few Sega advisers.

SOR3= Sega of Japan (they also made SOR1 but it's 91, not 92 either)

It would be interesting to see if 92-94 was really peak Sega from a developper point of view and not as a publisher...

I don't know.
Was Sega of Japan better during the Saturn Era ? Dreamcast ?

What do you think ?
I just think that during that period (1992-1994), it seemed like Sega of Japan could do no wrong. Like ALL of their studios were pumping out A++ quality, classic, system-selling type of games.
Even their "ok" games were pretty good, like Golden Axe 2, Bio-Hazard Battle, Ex-Ranza, Puyo Puyo, etc.

After that period and when you get to the Saturn era, there was no longer that consistency in quality. Sure, they still had some really good studios like Team Andromeda, but then they were also creating a ton of crap like Shin Shinobi Den.

And the Dreamcast era had amazing games as well, PSO is IMHO the greatest achievement Sega ever created, but a lot of their other stuff were weird(?) or lightweight arcadey games.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I just think that during that period (1992-1994), it seemed like Sega of Japan could do no wrong. Like ALL of their studios were pumping out A++ quality, classic, system-selling type of games.
Even their "ok" games were pretty good, like Golden Axe 2, Bio-Hazard Battle, Ex-Ranza, Puyo Puyo, etc.
That's a lot of non Sega of Japan games. (Ex Ranza, Puyo Puyo games were not Sega's property before 2003...).
It will be complicated to compare if we count published games (there are too many of them 😅).

Yeah, there were great platformers and RPGs in 92-94, that's true 🤩.

Nonetheless, i think i prefer the 2001-2003 era if we only take into account Sega of Japan:

Virtua Fighter 4, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Rez, Monkey Ball, Jet Set Radio Future, F-Zero GX, Outrun 2...

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Or you just sucked at it/grew out of it.
That's like if someone played the first Mario again and didn't have fun, therefore Mario was never fun.
Sonic is very fun to a lot of people, it's just not your thing.
Yes for me it was never fun. It can be fun for you. I’m not trying to take some one else’s fun.

The first SMB is very fun still.

Ev1L AuRoN

I never truly love Sega output, I liked Sonic games on genesis, but I greatly prefer Mario, I didn't give a dam for the Sport games and I think the SNES had a much better line up. With that said.
When the PS1 hit the scene, it was game over for SEGA, but the funny thing is that I actually really like the Saturn, much more than I like the N64, being a 90's kids fighting games were very appealing to me and Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat Trilogy wasn't enough to keep me going.

The Sega of today have much better games IMHO, Persona 5 Royal and Yakuza Like a Dragon are amazing,

Fat Frog

I never truly love Sega output, I liked Sonic games on genesis, but I greatly prefer Mario, I didn't give a dam for the Sport games and I think the SNES had a much better line up. With that said.
When the PS1 hit the scene, it was game over for SEGA, but the funny thing is that I actually really like the Saturn, much more than I like the N64, being a 90's kids fighting games were very appealing to me and Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat Trilogy wasn't enough to keep me going.

The Sega of today have much better games IMHO, Persona 5 Royal and Yakuza Like a Dragon are amazing,
You didn't like Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star or didn't have the opportunity to test them?

dave_d

Yea, if there's one thing *any* company can learn from Nintendo, it's how to treasure your own properties/successes and capitalize on them. They are loyal to their victories, and it has paid of in spades for them. I don't think Sega ever gave the proper respect to their successful creations, treating them as afterthoughts much of the time. That's not how you stay in the game...sadly for them.
I don't know why that's so hard for companies to learn. I mean Disney has basically been milking everything including a rat since the 20s so you'd think other companies would have learned by now to protect your intellectual properties.

Ev1L AuRoN

You didn't like Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star or didn't have the opportunity to test them?
I like them, yes, but I was more interested in games like Mega Man X, Castlevania 4 and Donkey Kong, it's not that the Sega games were bad, I just prefer the Nintendo output.

oldergamer

Sega panicked with how powerful the PlayStation was at 3D. Sega added a second processor to the Saturn to compensate, the hardware was late and required way too much work to get decent performance out of it. At the time, no game developers were accustomed to having to deal with concurrency. PlayStation dev hardware was a bunch of cards stuck inside a PC. It was a breeze to use compared to Saturn.

EA also threw all support behind sony (due to the huge legal battle they had with sega over genesis cartridges)

That was literally the begining of the end for them.

Last edited:
Sega did a lot of mistakes in the 90's, and Sony did a lot to capitalize on it.

Releasing the 32X months before the Saturn
The Saturn hardware being too complicated, and Sega not giving third party devs their dlls to optimize performance. Resulting in many ports being inferior to the PSX.
Advancing the release of the Saturn several months, without warning to most devs and retailers. Resulting in many devs and retailers shunning the Saturn.
Not joining a partnership with Sony to make a console. Sony had been shunned by Nintendo and was looking for a new partner.
The Saturn was priced at 100$ more than the PSX.
Sega also relied a lot of arcade ports, at a time when gamers wanted games with more expansive content.

Sony was looking to use Nintendo to get royalties off a new type of media (see: MiniDisc, Betamax, etc.).

Yes for me it was never fun. It can be fun for you. I’m not trying to take some one else’s fun.

The first SMB is very fun still.

He literally controls like his feet are blocks of never-melting ice.

Sega panicked with how powerful the PlayStation was at 3D. Sega added a second processor to the Saturn to compensate, the hardware was late and required way too much work to get decent performance out of it. At the time, no game developers were accustomed to having to deal with concurrency.

Not necessarily true. Sega's own 1P devs, especially the arcade teams, were more than used to parallel processing. Their arcade boards were pushing these type of designs since the mid 1980s'. As well, in a way any devs making games for the Sega CD and 32X were already at least somewhat experienced with parallel processing in a way, since a lot of games for those add-ons used hardware in both the add-on and the MegaDrive/Genesis in tandem.

Look at DF Retro's 32X videos to see some interesting insights on how the 32X worked at a technical level with the MegaDrive/Genesis.

PlayStation dev hardware was a bunch of cards stuck inside a PC. It was a breeze to use compared to Saturn.

I know what you're trying to say, but that's not necessarily true :LOL: . PS1 was easier to get result out of with C language compared to Saturn (and N64), that much is absolutely true. But the best games (on technical level) on the system still needed to utilize assembly language as time went on. You just didn't need to rely on assembly as much on PlayStation as you did on Saturn for squeezing out maximum performance.

That all said, it certainly was quite easier to work with; watch Game Hut's videos on the Saturn DSP (his Sonic Xtreme videos talk about it) and you'll see how complex just one processor component in the system was, let alone many of the other chips. It was a real coder's machine, just like how Yu Suzuki said back in the day.

EA also threw all support behind sony (due to the huge legal battle they had with sega over genesis cartridges)

Actually, EA supported the Saturn pretty decently and were one of the bigger Western 3P supporters for the platform. Over time though PlayStation was obviously more lucrative from a business POV and so they shifted more to that, but so did many other 3P publishers.

I think you're misremembering the EA/Sega thing with the carts; EA actually strongarmed themselves into a highly favorable contract with Sega by reverse-engineering the Genesis to bypass the checksum and run unlicensed/non-authenticated code, and then threatened to bypass Sega completely and put games out for it onto the market unless Sega capitulated to their terms.

Which, of course, Sega did; they badly needed 3P support back when Nintendo walled off many (especially Japanese devs) with their draconian/anti-competitive licensing agreements (which they eventually had to start easing off on after losing an antitrust case in the US in 1991). They also didn't want to risk EA making an example of them as it potentially could've inspired others to reverse-engineer the system, or even EA leaving documentation for other teams to do so.

That's why they got those special carts, and threw all their weight behind the Genesis/MegaDrive. EA's relationship with Sega was always somewhat manipulative & abusive, right from the get-go. A sign of things to come in terms of EA's business practices going forward (just look at the NFL deal they signed once Visual Concepts, a Sega developer BTW, was making superior football games threatening Madden's dominance in the sports market).

Jubenhimer

As others mentioned, it was a combination of factors. Sega spreading its resources too thin with poinless add-ons like the CD and 32x, SNES regaining a ton of lost ground in the holiday season, relationship between SEL and SoA starting to crumble, and the looming threat of Sony and the PlayStation. All of which culminated into the disaster that was the Sega Saturn's launch.

I'd argue peak Sega was Dreamcast era, although I couldn't say for sure as from 1988 through to the Dreamcasts' end, they were peak gaming imo.

I think there's no doubt to anyone that "peak Sega" was around 1992 to early 1994.

This was when they were on top of the world. They were outselling the SNES and pumping out hits like SOR2, Sonic 2/3, Shining Force, PS4, Virtua Fighter and Daytona USA in the arcades.

Sega was at the peak of their creativity and quality. During this time they made some of the best games of all time. It's like they could do no wrong.

But by around 1994, cracks were beginning to show. SOR3 felt unfinished and rushed and didn't live up to SOR2. The Sega CD while popular never really took off.
Some of their other big games like Sonic CD and Eternal Champions failed to live up to the hype.

It just seemed like they started to lose focus around that time. Trying to do too many things and not focusing on just making great games. There might be some deeper reason behind it though.

Totally agree on this bold, but the main reason is for some reason they brought this game back in-house instead of contracting Yuzo Koshiro's company like with SOR2. No idea why, would be an interesting development story. It always felt like a 'true' sequel to SOR1, not in a good way.

Last edited:
Well stubborn Japanese management happened. The Saturn was the nail in the coffin. Sega of Japan killed the entire brand at this stage.

- Sony wanted a partnership with Sega to release a disc based console, but SoJ didn't want anything to do with it.
- Sega of America (SoA) wanted to partner with Silicon Graphics, showed its potential to SoJ and again, it wasn't op to the company's standards.

What happened next?

Sony went on with the disc based console project and the PSX was born.
Nintendo partnered with Silicon Graphics and the N64 was born.

Basically, stubborn asshats created the competition that ultimately killed them off.

The Dreamcast was a last desperate attempt, but was killed due to poor marketing and shitty timing.
The Dreamcast released before the PS2. <- This was the final blow.

By wanting to do some damage control, income wise, Sega rushed the Dreamcast to market. When the PS2 was launched, it was dead in the water...

Fat Frog

I like them, yes, but I was more interested in games like Mega Man X, Castlevania 4 and Donkey Kong, it's not that the Sega games were bad, I just prefer the Nintendo output.
I understand. That said it was quite an unfair duality, the first years Sega was not fighting Nintendo but Nintendo + Capcom (Megaman X), Konami (Castlevania 4), Rare (DK)...

Xmas 92 : Sonic 2 was chosen by Sega to contain the Street Fighter 2 hype in the families.

Sega wasn't fighting Nintendo with Streets of Rage (Golden Axe, Comix Zone) but Capcom(Final Fight) and Konami. (TMNT) Nintendo had no brawlers, they were relying on the tiers on many genre where Sega was strong...

That's why it's always weird to hear people comparing Sega and Nintendo only with Sonic and Mario and then comparing Sega VS 3rd parties. 😁

Last edited:
I didn't buy Sega again after the Mega CD. 32X also not good. I was hugely into Sega at the time and owned the Mega Drive and SMS before that. I think the Mega CD and 32X did a lot of damage but even without that I don't think they could've held off Sony for much longer, they had the cool factor and big games going their way, those add on machines were a bit niche. The industry went up several levels when Sony stepped in and I don't think Sega had a chance of holding on.

Fat Frog

That was literally the beginning of a great new start (after disapointing first years filled with debts) :

Great western studios, one of the greatest japanese company of all time (Atlus), solid Sega of Japan outputs, the man behind the dreamcast lineup back at Sega for the next gen, and the birth of Sega Sapporo Studio.

🤩🤗🤩

A new era for Sega.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They did have great games later on for the Genesis. It's just that the SNES had even stronger ones. As much as i love stuff like Comix Zone, Sonic & Knuckles, EWJ 1+2 and Vectorman, they are not as strong as Super Metroid, DKC 1/2, Yoshi's Island, etc. Especially the first DKC. Remember the massive (and successful) marketing this game had? They convinced everyone that the SNES could handle games only 32bit consoles can, thanks to the incredible use of pre-rendered sprites.

Later on the Genesis proved it could handle such graphics as well (Toy Story even looks better than DKC in parts). But there was no such marketing for Toy Story or Vectorman or Comix Zone. Plus, some of these games were ported on the SNES as well. Earthworm Jim was a pretty big one and could make a strong Genesis exclusive, but it was multiplatform.
The problem is, Sega of America put all their eggs in the Sonic basket. The great games the Genesis had after mid-1993 basically never had the pull that Sonic had, nor Sega themselves seemed to believe they did. Shiny’s Aladdin and Earthworm Jim were the last games that really received some heavy marketing push and were very favorably reviewed. And yeah, they had Virtua Racing in 1994, but that was expensive and a poor show next to the arcade version. Then Nintendo pulled a Donkey Kong Country and the tables turned again. DKC was a monster hit - it sold nine goddamn million copies and all by itself instilled a couple more years of life into the SNES.
I see it like SoA bet everything on Sonic 2 to tilt the tables in their favor, and then they thought it’d be smooth sailing after that and the machine would keep selling itself.

I don't agree with this; the SNES did get a lot of great games, legendary ones too, especially when you take the Japan-only releases into account. But the Genesis/MegaDrive weren't lacking for games post Sonic 2 and MK, again especially if you take the Japan-only releases into account. Off the top of my head I can mention:

-Sonic 3 & Knuckles​
-Rocket Knight​
-ThunderForce IV​
-Monster World IV​
-Phantasy Star IV​
-Dynamite Headdy​
-Gunstar Heroes​
-Alien Soldier​
-Ristar​
-Pulstar​
-Streets of Rage 2​
-Streets of Rage 3​
-SF2: Champion Edition​
-Shinobi 3​
-LandStalker​
-Crusader of Centry​
-Road Rash 2​
-Road Rash 3​
-Battle Golfer Yui​
-Panorama Cotton​
-Battlemania Daiginjou​
I was mainly talking about 1994 and especially post-Donkey Kong Country games. Apart from Sonic 3, none of the games in your list could set the gaming world on fire like DKC, and by the spring of 1995 all the buzztalk was about the 32-bit consoles. Genesis definitely had the software, but after making all their best efforts about Sonic and how it made Mario obsolete, Sega could hardly push even a great game like SoR 2 against DKC, let alone Ristar or some good JRPGs in a market that was completely dominated by SF2 and its clones.

RAIDEN1

The problem is, Sega of America put all their eggs in the Sonic basket. The great games the Genesis had after mid-1993 basically never had the pull that Sonic had, nor Sega themselves seemed to believe they did. Shiny’s Aladdin and Earthworm Jim were the last games that really received some heavy marketing push and were very favorably reviewed. And yeah, they had Virtua Racing in 1994, but that was expensive and a poor show next to the arcade version. Then Nintendo pulled a Donkey Kong Country and the tables turned again. DKC was a monster hit - it sold nine goddamn million copies and all by itself instilled a couple more years of life into the SNES.
I see it like SoA bet everything on Sonic 2 to tilt the tables in their favor, and then they thought it’d be smooth sailing after that and the machine would keep selling itself.

I was mainly talking about 1994 and especially post-Donkey Kong Country games. Apart from Sonic 3, none of the games in your list could set the gaming world on fire like DKC, and by the spring of 1995 all the buzztalk was about the 32-bit consoles. Genesis definitely had the software, but after making all their best efforts about Sonic and how it made Mario obsolete, Sega could hardly push even a great game like SoR 2 against DKC, let alone Ristar or some good JRPGs in a market that was completely dominated by SF2 and its clones.
If Sega had a personal hand in getting SF2 to the Sega CD, like they did with Final Fight would it have boosted the Sega CD's fortunes?

oldergamer

Not necessarily true. Sega's own 1P devs, especially the arcade teams, were more than used to parallel processing. Their arcade boards were pushing these type of designs since the mid 1980s'. As well, in a way any devs making games for the Sega CD and 32X were already at least somewhat experienced with parallel processing in a way, since a lot of games for those add-ons used hardware in both the add-on and the MegaDrive/Genesis in tandem.

Look at DF Retro's 32X videos to see some interesting insights on how the 32X worked at a technical level with the MegaDrive/Genesis.
I worked at a development studio making launch titles for the sega saturn and PSX. They also worked on 3DO titles for EA. This was 100% true. Game developers on PC or Console had next to zero experience working with processor concurrency in games. Even Sega's arcade games at the time were not using multi processor hardware for most titles, even still for the few that did, it was a moot point as those teams were not directly handling Saturn game development. they couldn't help all the teams in America and Europe get accustomed to concurrency.

Sega designed Saturn to be a powerful 2D console. It was capable of limited 3D rendering as a single processor machine. They only revised the hardware design after seeing Sony hardware in action. Sony basically beat Sega to the punch in the jump to 3D being the primary rendering method. Sega japan then went back to hitachi and redesigned the console to contain two hitachi processors. This was a real pain to get the performance out of it for all launch games. The reason I say it was rushed and sega panicked, was because that is what happened. Launch games on the Saturn were being developed with small refrigerator sized development systems that had a ton of issues.

I think you are conflating a few different things. 32X was capable of some decent 3D processing. However itself didn't require concurrency on the same level as Sega Saturn. It was also a failed peripheral, and probably less directly related to the reason Saturn failed.

I know what you're trying to say, but that's not necessarily true :LOL: . PS1 was easier to get result out of with C language compared to Saturn (and N64), that much is absolutely true. But the best games (on technical level) on the system still needed to utilize assembly language as time went on. You just didn't need to rely on assembly as much on PlayStation as you did on Saturn for squeezing out maximum performance.

That all said, it certainly was quite easier to work with; watch Game Hut's videos on the Saturn DSP (his Sonic Xtreme videos talk about it) and you'll see how complex just one processor component in the system was, let alone many of the other chips. It was a real coder's machine, just like how Yu Suzuki said back in the day.
what I'm trying to say ( i didn't really want to type a lot on my phone ) is that the development hardware and software made PSX development so much simpler then Sega Saturn development. regardless of the language used, it was just easier to get up and running (mind you debugging was still a pain) but you are not incorrect in saying C language was preferred to having to write assembly or hand optimize performance for Saturn.

Actually, EA supported the Saturn pretty decently and were one of the bigger Western 3P supporters for the platform. Over time though PlayStation was obviously more lucrative from a business POV and so they shifted more to that, but so did many other 3P publishers.

I think you're misremembering the EA/Sega thing with the carts; EA actually strongarmed themselves into a highly favorable contract with Sega by reverse-engineering the Genesis to bypass the checksum and run unlicensed/non-authenticated code, and then threatened to bypass Sega completely and put games out for it onto the market unless Sega capitulated to their terms.

Which, of course, Sega did; they badly needed 3P support back when Nintendo walled off many (especially Japanese devs) with their draconian/anti-competitive licensing agreements (which they eventually had to start easing off on after losing an antitrust case in the US in 1991). They also didn't want to risk EA making an example of them as it potentially could've inspired others to reverse-engineer the system, or even EA leaving documentation for other teams to do so.

That's why they got those special carts, and threw all their weight behind the Genesis/MegaDrive. EA's relationship with Sega was always somewhat manipulative & abusive, right from the get-go. A sign of things to come in terms of EA's business practices going forward (just look at the NFL deal they signed once Visual Concepts, a Sega developer BTW, was making superior football games threatening Madden's dominance in the sports market).
EA threw more support behind Sony by comparison. Sure they released ":some" titles, but it was far from every EA game having a saturn port. They released 27 titles total for the Saturn.

No I recall the battle EA had with them. It was basically a way for EA to avoid paying the fee for cartridge hardware that Sega enforced. Sega ended up losing the resulting court battle ( over lockout chips that blocked EA cartridges ) and EA was able to make their own cartridges legally. Despite that, EA and Sega basically didn't get along well after that. This was also why sega threw so much behind "Sega Sports" which made them a direct competitor of EA. This extended to the Sega Dreamcast and was directly one of the reasons EA didn't support it.

Details here: http://segabits.com/blog/2013/05/20/monday-memories-ea-not-supporting-the-dreamcast/

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I actually feel it is the opposite. Because the Mega Drive really WASN'T successful in Japan, being third to the SuFami and PCE, they kept coming up with all these gimmicks unnecessarily. SoJ couldn't see what was actually working for the US and especially Europe. So they were trying to correct for a market they were failing in at the expense of the markets where they were successful.

And Bernie Stolar killed any chance the DC had of success by prematurely killing off the Saturn. While it wasn't super successful, because of him the Saturn got basically 2 years of support in the west, causing Sega's name to mean nothing by 99 and for them the basically hemmorhage cash throughout 1998 with almost othing on the market.
First of all Ceallach Ceallach , welcome back. It seemed like you'd been off GAF for some months and I recall your thread about being on a carrier in the middle of the ocean back in 2020.

If it was not success in Japan (on Megadrive's part); it certainly wasn't helping that so many add-ons or expansions were being made to it from 1989 until...what 1997??? If you count Sega Nomad, it's nearly 8 or 9-years that they were still pushing to sell Megadrive. For a short time I owned the last gen model (Model 3/core) and it seemed that I could never get any carts to play.

Saturn Japan had quite a few more titles that never made it to the States. There was a lot of potential to make it an amazing console but many have written that Sony came in. That's sort of true. There had been nearly 6 CD-ROM based consoles prior to Sony PS1 but I don't recall any of the others being quite so successful. Playstation changed a lot with that too. I agree that cutting off Saturn after only a couple years and Sega then pushing DC into the mix so fast was financially irresponsible. I know in the Sega OT (in Communities) you can read more on how big the Saturn could have been and the DC as well.

Brainstorming here what could have gone better. If they'd kept the cart consoles moving until 97-ish, skipped Saturn and put that engineering effort solely into DC...it may have worked.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Not to be contrarion, but I again feel the opposite. Sega were MUCH more successful in the west than in Japan, so I think they should have been the first company to shoot for a simultaneous launch for the Saturn. If Saturn had launched in Nov 94 instead of the the 32X I think it would have had a much better shot. If you convert those 32X titles that launched to Saturn launch titles you could have had a launch lineup that included Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, Star Wars Arcade, Myst and Doom. Not a bad launch lineup at all. Then over the next year you get more big hitters out the door- VF2, Daytona, Virtua Cop, and you get a Sonic title in Knuckles Chaotix. That could have gotten Saturn off to a healthy start where that third party support never dried up and the Western audience could have gotten more of the Japanese exclusives with a bigger market share.

RetroAV

Not to be contrarion, but I again feel the opposite. Sega were MUCH more successful in the west than in Japan, so I think they should have been the first company to shoot for a simultaneous launch for the Saturn. If Saturn had launched in Nov 94 instead of the the 32X I think it would have had a much better shot. If you convert those 32X titles that launched to Saturn launch titles you could have had a launch lineup that included Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, Star Wars Arcade, Myst and Doom. Not a bad launch lineup at all. Then over the next year you get more big hitters out the door- VF2, Daytona, Virtua Cop, and you get a Sonic title in Knuckles Chaotix. That could have gotten Saturn off to a healthy start where that third party support never dried up and the Western audience could have gotten more of the Japanese exclusives with a bigger market share.
The 32X had zero effect on the Saturn's lack of success. If anything, it is the other way around! The Saturn is the reason why the 32X failed! Virtua Racing, Star Wars Arcade, Doom, After Burner Complete, Knuckles Chaotix etc. None of that was going to propel Saturn ahead of PS1. All the resources that should have been allocated towards the Saturn absolutely were and that is why the 32X lineup was so abysmal and ultimately why it failed.

What the Saturn needed to do was match the PS1's price or undercut it, balance their output of new & old IPs, and invest more in each region's specific needs.

Last edited:
The saturn killed sega - it was underpowered and the controllers were crap. If the Dreamcast had gone toe to toe with PS1, it would be a different story. The shops near me put the Saturn and PS1 next to each to play - Saturn had some 2d Streetfighter game that looked 16 bit - the PS1 had Tekken. No contest.

Last edited:
The problem is, Sega of America put all their eggs in the Sonic basket. The great games the Genesis had after mid-1993 basically never had the pull that Sonic had, nor Sega themselves seemed to believe they did. Shiny’s Aladdin and Earthworm Jim were the last games that really received some heavy marketing push and were very favorably reviewed. And yeah, they had Virtua Racing in 1994, but that was expensive and a poor show next to the arcade version.

I mean of course if you compare that version of VR to the arcade one it's going to come off poor, but it was still more impressive than Star Fox in terms of visual fidelity for a 3D game on a 16-bit system, and that was more of the point I think. Besides during that gen you rarely got home ports of arcade games that matched the arcade versions visually, so I can't say Virtua Racing on Genesis looking bad compared to the arcade original is worth a knock on the Genesis TBH.

Then Nintendo pulled a Donkey Kong Country and the tables turned again. DKC was a monster hit - it sold nine goddamn million copies and all by itself instilled a couple more years of life into the SNES.

Well I mean, that kind of did happen in a sense? Sonic 2 was 1992 right? Well, Genesis maintained marketshare lead over SNES in America until holiday 1994, that's when the shift really happened thanks to DKC. And in Europe as a whole, MegaDrive maintained a lead over SNES the entire generation (though it was much smaller one than the Master System had over NES. Also I'm aware that in specific European countries SNES was more popular than MegaDrive).

Sega basically pulling out of the 16-bit market by end of 1995 in the West didn't help them whatsoever, either; that market still had life to it and Nintendo essentially gobbled it all up since there were no other platform holders in that space really competing in it anymore.

Look, I get what you mean when talking about selling power and what-not, but a game having strong selling power doesn't necessarily mean it's a good game, and a game that is particularly niche doesn't mean it's a bad game. I think that's the reason I made the reply because I might've inferred that from the comment of yours I was replying to, but I could've interpreted that way by mistake.

Especially if you're talking more in terms of Sega's marketing efforts (or lack thereof) for certain software that could've been pushed harder than it was, because I'd definitely agree in that case. IMO Sega should've at most focused on pushing the SVP chip for Genesis-bound games. Imagine games like Chaotix powered by the SVP on a stock Genesis/MegaDrive, Virtua Fighter on Genesis that was actually more authentic to the arcade version (and not some bastardized 2D version of a 3D fighter), etc.

Sure, the SVP chip in Virtua Racing wasn't as powerful as the 32X, but it didn't need to be for having an impact. Games like DKC and Yoshi's Island on SNES were proof enough of that. Thinking of titles like Ristar, Alien Soldier etc. using SVP-boosted visual effects on a stock Genesis/MegaDrive would've done a lot more for the system in the last couple years in terms of overall mindshare and messaging (let alone for the customer base's wallets) than what the 32X ended up failing to do.

I worked at a development studio making launch titles for the sega saturn and PSX. They also worked on 3DO titles for EA. This was 100% true. Game developers on PC or Console had next to zero experience working with processor concurrency in games. Even Sega's arcade games at the time were not using multi processor hardware for most titles, even still for the few that did, it was a moot point as those teams were not directly handling Saturn game development. they couldn't help all the teams in America and Europe get accustomed to concurrency.

But I mean, that means you worked for a Western studio at the time yeah? Because from what I've read, a lot of Western developers, especially those focused mainly on consoles and the popular microcomputers, didn't have a lot of experience with parallel processing architectures. So if you're speaking from personal experience I understand completely.

That said though, a lot of Sega's more ambitious arcade systems were using parallel processing, and the Away Team that developed the Saturn pulled a lot of people from the arcade hardware division to engineer the system. They took up parallelization as a way to increase Saturn performance because they were already used to it with some of the arcade boards. Like, here are some of the arcade boards that used dual processors:

-Outrun​
-X board​
-Y board (used 3 CPUs in parallel)​
-Kyugo​
-Champion Baseball​
-Mega Play​

...and all of those were before the Saturn! Also again, if you think about it, the MegaDrive/Genesis & Mega CD, or MegaDrive/Genesis & 32X, were essentially dual-processing setups as well since you were able to make games that leveraged both simultaneously (and in fact, a lot of games did just that), with each having their own CPU. I might've exaggerated on how many specific games of theirs up to that point were made on dual-processing systems, but the point being that their arcade division had a lot of experience with that type of design prior to Saturn.

Which is why they chose it as the quickest way to beef up its capabilities. Unfortunately they didn't consider 3P devs much when doing so, or a lot of Sega's 1P teams (lack of sufficient SDKs early on didn't help, but if you had experience with the system back in the day then you'd know a lot more about that side of things than I would).

Sega designed Saturn to be a powerful 2D console. It was capable of limited 3D rendering as a single processor machine. They only revised the hardware design after seeing Sony hardware in action. Sony basically beat Sega to the punch in the jump to 3D being the primary rendering method. Sega japan then went back to hitachi and redesigned the console to contain two hitachi processors. This was a real pain to get the performance out of it for all launch games. The reason I say it was rushed and sega panicked, was because that is what happened. Launch games on the Saturn were being developed with small refrigerator sized development systems that had a ton of issues.

Not contesting any of this: I've heard the stories, read the information. All of this is true. I was just mentioning (maybe not to you specifically, can't recall) the "why" behind Saturn's design also coming down to the fact Sega didn't have the type of resources Sony did. If they did, the VDPs would've been a single custom ASIC as an example, instead of two separate ASICs. They probably would've also waited until the next Hitachi CPU was ready (which would've been late 1994 IIRC) instead of going with dual SH2s.

I think you are conflating a few different things. 32X was capable of some decent 3D processing. However itself didn't require concurrency on the same level as Sega Saturn. It was also a failed peripheral, and probably less directly related to the reason Saturn failed.

Didn't claim that it was a parallelized design in the same league as Saturn, just that use of it in tandem with MegaDrive/Genesis was a form of parallel processing. In fact one of the purposes in putting the 32X out there was seemingly to get Western devs more used to Saturn development down the line, since they both shared a dual-SH2 design.

Although that could've been a bit of PR spin to justify the add-on once it started facing market troubles.

what I'm trying to say ( i didn't really want to type a lot on my phone ) is that the development hardware and software made PSX development so much simpler then Sega Saturn development. regardless of the language used, it was just easier to get up and running (mind you debugging was still a pain) but you are not incorrect in saying C language was preferred to having to write assembly or hand optimize performance for Saturn.

Yeah, I think we both agree on this as well.

EA threw more support behind Sony by comparison. Sure they released ":some" titles, but it was far from every EA game having a saturn port. They released 27 titles total for the Saturn.

But you have to keep in mind the PlayStation was commercially viable longer than Saturn in the West. Remember, Sega basically said the Saturn was "not [their] future" at E3 1997 (thanks, Bernie!). Various 3P publishers started gradually cancelling planned Saturn games & ports, EA among them.

No I recall the battle EA had with them. It was basically a way for EA to avoid paying the fee for cartridge hardware that Sega enforced. Sega ended up losing the resulting court battle ( over lockout chips that blocked EA cartridges ) and EA was able to make their own cartridges legally. Despite that, EA and Sega basically didn't get along well after that. This was also why sega threw so much behind "Sega Sports" which made them a direct competitor of EA. This extended to the Sega Dreamcast and was directly one of the reasons EA didn't support it.

Details here: http://segabits.com/blog/2013/05/20/monday-memories-ea-not-supporting-the-dreamcast/

Hmm....I dunno about some of this. Wouldn't Sega losing that case have had implications for Nintendo, because they also had anti-piracy features built into their systems at the time, and what would've prevented a company like EA attempting to do the same to them?

Also considering that EA provided virtually zero support for Nintendo consoles during the 16-bit gen, and did numerous releases for the MegaDrive/Genesis (including one of my favorites, Haunting Starring PoultryGuy), I don't think it's true that the relationship between EA and SoA was soured after that court case. If it was, it wasn't enough to impact EA's support for MegaDrive/Genesis in terms of software, that's for sure.

Sega already had the Sega Sports line going from the get-go, one of the launch games was a baseball game IIRC and either used the Sega Sports branding or something that was a predecessor to it. So I'm not sure how much Sega having its own sports lineup affected things with EA at that time, because it's not like EA were known for being "the sports publisher" way back then like they'd eventually become known for near the end of the 5th generation. Their software library was actually pretty diverse early on, and I don't think Sega having their own sports lineup became an issue for EA until the Dreamcast with Visual Concepts.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
What happened to Sega? The gamers couldn’t recognize greatness when it was staring them in the face, that’s what. Blame the kids.

As for Sega’s “peak,” well, let’s consider the following from the Saturn and Dreamcast eras:

Virtua Fighter (series)
Fighting Vipers
Fighters Megamix
Last Bronx
Virtua On/VOOT
Virtua Cop 1/2
House o/t Dead 1/2
Confidential Mission

Daytona USA/Daytona CE (JP)
Sega Rally 1/2
Manx TT Superbike
Ferrari F355 Challenge
Sega GT
Crazy Taxi 1/2

Decathlete
Winter Heat
Worldwide Soccer 97/98
World Cup France 98: Road to the World Cup
World Series Baseball 98
Greatest Nine 98: Summer Action
NFL 2K (series)
NBA 2K (series)
Virtua Tennis

Sonic Adventure 1/2
Nights Into Dreams/Xmas Nights
Burning Rangers
Chu Chu Rocket
Baku Baku Animal

Phantasy Star Online
Sakura Wars (series)
Dragon Force 1/2
Shining Force Trilogy
Shining the Holy Ark
Wachenroeder
Terra Phantastica
Skies of Arcadia
Shenmue 1/2

Panzer Dragoon Trilogy
Deep Fear
Headhunter

How’s that for a start?

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
The saturn killed sega - it was underpowered and the controllers were crap. If the Dreamcast had gone toe to toe with PS1, it would be a different story. The shops near me put the Saturn and PS1 next to each to play - Saturn had some 2d Streetfighter game that looked 16 bit - the PS1 had Tekken. No contest.

I agree. X-Men Vs Street Fighter is way better.

Ozzie666

Maybe what happened in 1994 was actually the real Sega and their 'peak' was the unusual part, with the exception of arcades. The Master System was decent, just handled terrible and went up against the NES, Genesis was successful in America, but got trounced by PC Engine and competition in Japan. 32X, Sega-CD, too much hardware, too fast, too soon. It's like Sega was throwing paint at walls and hoping something would stick and they didn't have the ability to market everything.

If Sega didn't find 'lucky' success in Europe with the Master System and Genesis in USA and Europe, they would have been exposed as an incompetently run company much earlier. So much luck went their way, which they ruined with so many poor decisions.

Arrogance of Sega Japan ruined the 16 bit success, cut it off way to short. Sega of Japan was just too proud, they couldn't let Sega America or Europe take the lead, where they had the most success. Sega of Japan got what they wanted with Saturn, and they paid the price.

DaGwaphics

Sega had the worst management ever. They did not make one good decision after the genesis.

Prove me wrong.

Not much more to be said. They goofed in just about every way they could. I think DC was a solid idea and the best product they could afford to release at the time, but the damage was already done.

yeh...the biggest electronics company in the world decided to make a game system. And had full 3rd party support

3rd parties pretty much abandoned Sega after Genesis. Lack of 3rd party support will kill any system. This is why companies like Xbox gobble up companies. Because if they didn't and all the 3rd parties decided to stop publishing games for them, the console is dead. Wii U had GREAT games. But it didn't matter...because it had no third party support.

N64 came out when I was 8 years old and was obviously a tough get for xmas. My grandmother managed to find a couple at a toys r us for my cousin and I. The crazy thing was, my cousin didn't want an N64, he wanted a Saturn. My uncle bought him both knowing the Saturn was a dud just to keep him happy. Even my family members, who knew very little about video games, knew the Saturn was junk.

The Dreamcast launch was actually one the best launches. It was on top for a year or so. Unfortunately, Sega tried to beat the competition to market once again and it was toast when PS2 came out.

Top Bottom