• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA to develop a new Wipeout game for Sony | Bandai Namco to also work on a PlayStation IP

Gold Member
A rumour from a random on a forum full of lunatic attention seekers.

Think Iā€™ll pass on getting excited just yet šŸ¤£

Crayon

You want Wipeout in VR?
I would probably puke in less than a minute lol

Anyhow the idea of Sega and Namco being back on arcade racers gets me super excited!

There is already a Wipeout omega collection on PSVR and it's glorious

One of the best psvr1 games. I'd buy it for psvr2 in a heartbeat. It's massively disappointing that there's no port.

Edit: srry false alarm Wooxsvan Wooxsvan . Had you in the multi from some graphics thread.

Last edited:

SodaZA

I'd honestly love for Sony to licence out their forgotten IPs more, getting a legend of dragoon game by square or PS All-stars 2 by Namco would be a dream

But this resetera post comes off as complete hogwash even though I want to be true

skit_data

Would be sweet with a new Wipeout really pushing high quality graphics at blistering speeds. It's an under appreciated franchise in some aspects, I remember it being one of the first games I tried on my PS as a kid.

Euro Demo1, Feisar ship, kickass music.

Crash Bandicoot 1 Jungle Rollers level, the T-Rex and Manta tech demo and Wipeout. That's good stuff.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Make it good, Bamco.
hARsapZ.jpg
Holy shit that box art is ugly. Horrendous mashup of different art styles with terrible composition.

StueyDuck

the mental health issues purple place once said a new Silent hill was released 2-3 years ago by studio Japan with possible Kojima influence...

needless to say that never happened ever.

they have a better rep than say jezzy doo doo or captain eastman or speshal boy. But nevertheless they also don't know jack on that forum and the ones that do probably don't want to risk their jobs.

midnightAI

Wait, did I sleep through Winter, missing Halloween, Guy Fawkes night, Christmas and New Year? Blimey I must have hibernated all the way through to April 1st

You know who should be making a new Wipeout? ... Firesprite

Last edited:

KWAB

Banned
To me it would only make sense if SEGA pitched something F-Zero related to Nintendo, they refused, then tried to turn in into a Wipeout game and somehow Sony said yes.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
To me it would only make sense if SEGA pitched something F-Zero related to Nintendo, they refused, then tried to turn in into a Wipeout game and somehow Sony said yes.
The series are nothing alike, any design geared to one is not fit for the other, whether visually or gameplay wise.

kaizenkko

Well, the part of that rumor who really matters is the scale back on gaas push. If true I think we will see some "confirmation" until next year.

If Sony really cancel The Last of Us Factions, maybe that can be true. It's hard to think they will keeping trying so hard to develop gaas after Naughty Dog itself fail on delivering a good game.

Last edited:

Markio128

Sega and Namco would be ideal partners for some VR love. I was only saying in the PSVR2 OT that Iā€™d love to see a VR Sonic game.

Itā€™s probably a pipe dream though, as is this rumour.

nowhat

How about just adding PSVR 2 support to Wipeout Omega Collection? I'd be perfectly happy with that.

Killer8

Close down Wipeout developers Studio Liverpool (aka Psygnosis).

Close down Evolution Studios.

Close down Studio Cambridge.

Close down Zipper Interactive.

Close down Japan Studio.

... panic years later and try to fill the void with third-party outsourcing when your GaaS love-in isn't panning out, you'll need a COD competitor in a decade, and you have a dearth of unique PSVR2 games.

What a great long term plan axing (sorry, restructuring) studios is!

Last edited:

Sorcerer

SPELNsy.png

According to Head on the Block, a user from the ResetEra PlayStation OT who seems to potentially be in the know about some of Sony's future plans, the console maker would have begun to scale down its push for live-service games in the long term, instead opting to revitalize legacy PlayStation IPs through collaborations with third-party publishers.

Source
Maybe I am misunderstanding, why would Sony be winding down live service games when it never really started in full force? I thought that was Sony's future?

Markio128

Close down Wipeout developers Studio Liverpool (aka Psygnosis).

Close down Evolution Studios.

Close down Studio Cambridge.

Close down Zipper Interactive.

Close down Japan Studio.

... panic years later and try to fill the void with third-party outsourcing when your GaaS love-in isn't panning out, you'll need a COD competitor in a decade, and you have a dearth of unique PSVR2 games.

What a great long term plan axing (sorry, restructuring) studios is!
Iā€™ve always found that folk put too much emphasis on Studios. I reckon most of the internal talent within those studios will have moved on well before they were closed. Plus, itā€™s too easy to judge from the outside. At the end of the day, if a Studio isnā€™t pulling in the bucks, then whatā€™s the point?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Maybe I am misunderstanding, why would Sony be winding down live service games when it never really started in full force? I thought that was Sony's future?

PlayStationā€™s low volume media communication means speculators can run rampant.

Just like saying Gaas is Sonyā€™s future is wrong.

You see Xbox does gaas games like sea of thieves and grounded and etc? Variety bro. Buys ABK for gaas and gaas mobile? Perfect.

Sony? PlayStation is doomed. Meanwhile they just released one of the highest rated single player game of the year.

Last edited:
That makes zero sense.

SEGA made the best version of F-Zero for Gamecube and Tri-Force back during that gen, with their Amusement Vision team. AFAIK, either that team is still around or the principal members are still there at SEGA (I think some of them would've worked on SEGA World Driver's Championship).

Both the SEGA and Bandai-Namco thing are very plausible rumors, I don't see how they necessarily wouldn't make sense. Only sucky part is, it'll be a while before either of these release, apparently.

I'm sure if they were to make a Wipeout game that doesn't make much sense today, it would be made by Firesprite not Sega or Bandai Namco....

Why would it be Firesprite over those two? If there's a particular style Sony's going for with the game, chances are SEGA and Namco would be a better fit. The fact is, PlayStation needs more Japanese exclusives, and need to do more with legacy IP.

This would kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. It'd also secure and strengthen relations with those Japanese 3P publishers, yet another thing SIE should be doing in an environment of potentially increased M&As by competitors. Putting Firesprite on the game would accomplish none of these macro goals, IMO.

Sony Business Briefings May 2022: 55% Live Service + 45% traditional.

Sony Business Briefings May 2023: 60% Live Service + 40% traditional.

The 3 games you listed all got the axe / put on ice, prior to May 2023.

They've created a Live Service Center of Excellence with Bungie. The smart play is to treat this endeavor as, far and away, your top priority and to constantly be looking where to effectively invest in Live Service...which is likely what they're doing. If anything, PlayStation needs more gas pedal and less brake, when it comes to LS. If I'm PlayStation right now, I'm cutting a check for Embark Studios next.

Unsuccessful IP created by 3rd party studios reads like a joke.

No. The idea Sony need to go ham into GaaS running without even walking first is what's a joke. GaaS games are unique unto themselves, in that there honestly isn't room for many of them. When someone finds their GaaS game, they tend to stick with it for several years and at best will casually dabble with certain other ones, but never commit to them.

We see it all the time; the best chance for a new GaaS game to make a big splash, especially if it's one in a highly competitive market space, is when a dominant title is starting to collapse or bleed out its player base. But, getting the timing for that is difficult and requires a bit of luck. When I look at the GaaS games revealed from Sony so far, one issue I see is that some of them were either a bit too similar to other upcoming or current games, and/or were clustered in a specific segment of the market that's already saturated with very stiff competition.

Fairgame$, for example, already looked similar to Hyenas and The Finals; the former's now been cancelled, but even if that theoretically makes room for Fairgame$ to stand out a bit easier, well it is still a FPS (at least that's the impression I get) when it comes to GaaS. So in a sense it's still competing not only with The Finals, but also COD, Counterstrike 2, Apex Legends, VALORANT, Halo Infinite (lol), Destiny 2, just to name a few. That's a lot of stiff, saturated competition.

In that sense, assuming Concord's also a FPS, the (maybe?) cancelled Deviation Games game was a FPS, Destiny 2 a FPS, Marathon a FPS...you can probably see the competition Sony's own GaaS would have with each other, let alone other companies. IMO, Sony should focus on curating their GaaS to a smaller number of titles, and having more genre variety among them, into less saturated/competitive segments. Of course they'd need a big FPS and 3PS type games, but would both need to be military sci-fi themed, for example? Also they technically already have live-service games in GT7 and MLB The Show, so they could expand on those properties if they want.

Last edited:
SEGA made the best version of F-Zero for Gamecube and Tri-Force back during that gen, with their Amusement Vision team. AFAIK, either that team is still around or the principal members are still there at SEGA (I think some of them would've worked on SEGA World Driver's Championship).

Both the SEGA and Bandai-Namco thing are very plausible rumors, I don't see how they necessarily wouldn't make sense. Only sucky part is, it'll be a while before either of these release, apparently.

Why would it be Firesprite over those two? If there's a particular style Sony's going for with the game, chances are SEGA and Namco would be a better fit. The fact is, PlayStation needs more Japanese exclusives, and need to do more with legacy IP.

This would kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. It'd also secure and strengthen relations with those Japanese 3P publishers, yet another thing SIE should be doing in an environment of potentially increased M&As by competitors. Putting Firesprite on the game would accomplish none of these macro goals, IMO.

I think it would be surprising for the original team who made the games to be closed, then brought back, only for their game to be made by an external party...

Especially when the game isn't particularly big...

Ask yourself has Sony ever farmed out their 1st party franchises to external publishers and if so, which games? This isn't like a sumo digital type deal.

I think it would be surprising for the original team who made the games to be closed, then brought back, only for their game to be made by an external party...

Especially when the game isn't particularly big...

Ask yourself has Sony ever farmed out their 1st party franchises to external publishers and if so, which games? This isn't like a sumo digital type deal.

On the surface it would seem a bit weird, but at the same time, that team may have an idea for another IP or a new IP altogether, and perhaps their development philosophy has shifted away from something where Wipeout would be compatible. I guess it could be comparable to modern RARE's lack of interest in working on a new Banjo-Kazooie; it probably doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons but also people and studios' tastes change over time. I can understand to some degree why they wouldn't want to work with the IP, even if there's demand for it to return.

That's where external partners can fit in. Yes, Sony typically don't lend 1P franchises to 3P publishers, but times are changing. Game development's more complicated, costs are increasing, the amount of people you need to make a polished AAA game keeps going up. Sony don't have an infinite number of stuff at their studios, or an infinite number of internal studios & teams. They also probably weren't expecting such intense consolidation of the 3P market to happen this generation, particularly by a certain competitor who has shown what their real strategy around M&As in gaming is (i.e cutting off/isolating Sony from access to their closest 3P partners, "spending Sony out of business" etc.).

I think Sony know the areas where they could be doing better and for me the chief areas are: utilizing legacy IP, having more 1P AA releases (either from internal or partnered 3P teams), more investments in Japanese 3P, more Japanese 1P content, securing established legacy & modern IPs (1P and 3P) to PlayStation meaningfully, adjusting the GaaS development stack (less games, more variety, leverage surefire IP i.e TLOU, Marvel etc.), adjusting the PC port strategy (larger port windows for modern non-GaaS or don't port modern non-GaaS games at all), and potential M&As of some key 3P.

If Sony want to maximize areas covered, then lending an IP like Wipeout to a Japanese 3P like SEGA already tackles a few of them in one fell swoop. It's also a sort of corporate political play: it gives SEGA/Atlus more reasons to not entertain M&A offers by a company like Microsoft. If the talent prefer working with a partner like Sony and Sony IP, even if the BoD and shareholders might entertain an M&A from a direct competitor, they could be less interested in that if they know lots of the talent walk as a result. That also acts as an active deterrent for the buyer; if they have less goodwill among the talent, even they buy the company, what are they actually getting for that purchase if the talent departs?

Microsoft are already suffering some of that among several studios since they began gaming M&As in 2018, and we'll continue to see further departures from various XGS, Zenimax and ABK studios (some due to jobs eliminated, of course). I think companies like Sony are aware of these things, so partnering with external 3P pubs and rekindling things bringing back legacy IP that have the potential to expand brand-wise through smart IP management, makes sense (among other things).

Perrott

Gold Member
I don't think this should be read as Sony dropping the ball with the close to 10 live-service games that they have currently in development as much as them simply choosing to greenlight other kinds of projects right now, after having gone through the demise of a quarter of their initial live-service offerings (Deviation's new IP, Firesprite's new IP, Naughty Dog's Factions).

And that doesn't mean that Sony would stop making live-service games - because if Helldivers II is a success, then I don't doubt that they'll ask/acquire Arrowhead to make some more co-op games (which is in that studio's DNA) - but perhaps that the greenlight balance for PS Studios titles would start to shift towards the side of more traditional PlayStation games. Especially now that they own Bungie, who has much better chances of becoming Sony's golden goose of live-service games than, honestly, the London Studio.

I don't think this should be read as Sony dropping the ball with the close to 10 live-service games that they have currently in development as much as them simply choosing to greenlight other kinds of projects right now, after having gone through the demise of a quarter of their initial live-service offerings (Deviation's new IP, Firesprite's new IP, Naughty Dog's Factions).

And that doesn't mean that Sony would stop making live-service games - because if Helldivers II is a success, then I don't doubt that they'll ask/acquire Arrowhead to make some more co-op games (which is in that studio's DNA) - but perhaps that the greenlight balance for PS Studios titles would start to shift towards the side of more traditional PlayStation games. Especially now that they own Bungie, who has much better chances of becoming Sony's golden goose of live-service games than, honestly, the London Studio.

I also hope it means more AA titles from Sony going forward so that gaps between the big AAA games is more manageable without relying on timed exclusivity of 3P titles. For example, a new Wipeout doesn't need a $200 million budget. It probably needs 1/4th of that at most, while still delivering a lot of polish and content, just at the higher end of a AA title. It also wouldn't need 6-7 years of development, probably closer to 3-4.

I do think at least some of the GaaS titles are being changed significantly or cancelled though. Factions 2 will still release; you don't shelve a potential revenue hit like that leveraging a big, well-known IP. But do they really need Concord or Fairgame$? Probably not. Those studios can probably do something else, be it a more novel GaaS or a traditional game. I'm still fully expecting Insomniac to do a GaaS Marvel-based game, maybe the Concord & Fairgame$ teams could help in developing content for that?

Ideally Sony's main GaaS slate going forward should be Factions 2, Marathon, Insomniac's Marvel MP title, MLB The Show, GT7 and maybe something very much out of left field and unconventional. That'd be six titles right there, they could also expand MLB to mobile and re-structure (and expand) GT Sport with the GT7 engine and assets. All of those also have known brand appeal, so that guarantees an initial built-in audience from the get-go.

He's a verified insider, apparently. Reset might have horrible moderators and a cult of Xbox fanboys, but they're usually okay when it comes to insiders.

Like that person who posted about the Hifi Rush, RedFall & Starfield (and other Microsoft-related stuff) ahead of any of that actually being confirmed officially.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No. The idea Sony need to go ham into GaaS running without even walking first is what's a joke. GaaS games are unique unto themselves, in that there honestly isn't room for many of them. When someone finds their GaaS game, they tend to stick with it for several years and at best will casually dabble with certain other ones, but never commit to them.
This is a blunder of a statement. Allow me to explain...

PlayStation has never operated with developer parity between its peers. It has always had a huge development output advantage. Early on that came from 3rd party support that helped it dominate the N64, Gamecube, XBox. Later on it came from internal studios.

PlayStation is now half the size of their closest competitor.

They never operated at disadvantage. Now they've been doubled in size. XBox has 15 Billion dollar IP. PlayStation only has 6 Billion dollar IP.

What does this mean?

PlayStation HAS to punch above its weight to maintain its market position and the only game type to do that is GAAS. XBox would love for PlayStation to enter a war of attrition with them because XBox knows it has a significant numbers advantage.

The only way for PlayStation to remain on top is by becoming uber successful in GAAS. These types of games completely negate XBoxs numerical advantages. XBox can release ten 30 hour single player games (300hrs)...if PlayStation releases one 300 hr GAAS title, it's a wash. If PlayStation releases one 3,000 hr GAAS title, they've effectively turned their closest competitor into a fire burning pit.

TLDR: PlayStation can't walk with it's GAAS offerings. They need the pedal all the way down and they need to be hitting the NoS button on GAAS.

We see it all the time; the best chance for a new GaaS game to make a big splash, especially if it's one in a highly competitive market space, is when a dominant title is starting to collapse or bleed out its player base.
There's actually numerous examples of GAAS building up their player bases over time. See Rust, Deep Rock Galactic, Warframe etc...
But, getting the timing for that is difficult and requires a bit of luck. When I look at the GaaS games revealed from Sony so far, one issue I see is that some of them were either a bit too similar to other upcoming or current games, and/or were clustered in a specific segment of the market that's already saturated with very stiff competition.
We really haven't seen a single GAAS offering from PlayStation. GT7, MLB The Show, and Helldivers 2 were greenlit well before the GAAS explosion. The new era of PlayStation really begins with the release of Concord.

Fairgame$, for example, already looked similar to Hyenas and The Finals
All we've seen of Fairgame$ is a CGI trailer. No gameplay.

Multiplayer gamers are driven by gameplay design much more than they're driven by theme.

It's as silly as saying "The Witcher 3 won't do well because Kingdoms of Amelur bombed". Plus, we all saw how saturated the market Battle Royale was after PUBG.

In that sense, assuming Concord's also a FPS, the (maybe?) cancelled Deviation Games game was a FPS, Destiny 2 a FPS, Marathon a FPS...you can probably see the competition Sony's own GaaS would have with each other, let alone other companies.
Using that logic, you better tell Rockstar not to make GTA Online because Fortnite already exists. You see, there's already one third person shooter so the market is saturated and GTA Online will fail.

Sounds silly right?

Last edited:

CamHostage

Ok but, imagine if it was like the F-Zero GX successor (It won't be)

That's the easy assumption, but then if it was anything like F-Zero, it wouldn't really be Wipeout.

People think "speed" when they think of Wipeout, but go look and/or play it and it's not this breakneck speed force racing game. It's fast, but at scale, and with a vehicle that hovers and handles almost like a boat rather than some futuristic car. It's not a twitch racer. You have to master the fineness and unexpected challenges of a Wipeout vehicle, to feel the flow of its movement as it gains speed or narrows the track on you in twists and turns, and to prepare as best as possible for every turn and encounter with practice and learned ability. (Admittedly, I never got good at at myself, but watching friends and pros really schooled me on the skills it takes to compete in Wipeout.)

F-Zero is also about skill and practice (and sometimes it's funny watching GX or speed when not playing yet remembering how freaking fast it feels to be behind the wheel,) but the cars are intentionally more responsive as they grip the road and grind through turns. They're just different types of futuristic racers. (Not that it matters, as the "F-Zero Team" is long since dispersed by now; also, some team could conceivably learn Wipeout's design philosophy about as well as F-Zero's and do their interpretation of it.)

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
This would only make sense to me if Sony bought out Sega.
Instead of 3 studios they announce 3 publishers next showcase. SEGA, SQUARE, AND CAPCOM! They all do a high five and chest bump on stage while announcing legend of dragoon, wipeout, and other stuff

Top Bottom