• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II is my 2024 Game of the Year

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Just finished this last night. What a breath of fresh air.

The visuals have obviously been one of the largest talking points of this game, and yeah, they've unquestionably set a new bar. Lighting, animations, textures, physics, volumetrics, scale, particle effects, you name it. Not to mention the second-to-none art direction. The game is an absolute stunner.

But it's not just that. Not by a long shot. The music is haunting and incredibly atmospheric. The performances are next level. The character development is poignant and piercing. I will say that the story itself, while serviceable, is not pushing the envelope. But I believe this is by design in order to focus on Senua's internal struggles first and foremost.

But let's get to the most common drive-by criticism of the game: "It's not even a game, you can't do anything!", "You might as well watch a movie!", "Sure it's pretty but does it even count if you can't interact with the environment?", etc..

Prior to playing, because of comments like this, my expectation for the game was for it to be a walking simulator. Something along the lines of Dear Esther or The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Which would've been okay! I've enjoyed several walking simulators in my day. But here's the thing: it isn't! Not by a long shot.

Yes, there's extended walking sequences that are intended to develop the story, or to put you in Senua's mind as her voices plant seeds of doubt or fear or confusion, but there's is plenty of traditional "gameplay" as well. There's a variety of puzzles, and climbing, and figuring out how to manipulate the environment to reach your destination, and extremely visceral combat.

The combat in particular is incredibly intense. There's dodging and parrying and a charge up "mode" similar to Spartan Rage from the new God of War games. You're rewarded for perfect parrying. You need to choose and time your attacks depending on what your enemy is doing. Does it have the depth of a God of War or a FROM game? Of course not. That's not what this game is. But for those that are claiming there's "no gameplay" in this clearly haven't actually played the game, or have a very dogmatic mindset of what it means to be a "game"

Which brings me to my next point. It sure seems like gamers today LOVE to complain about how every AAA game is cookie-cutter, with no creativity. Every game has loot boxes, and paid cosmetics, and endlessly convoluted upgrade systems, and bare minimum plot and character complexity, etc.. etc.. Yet here's a game that eschews literally all of that and is truly something NEW in this gaming landscape, something that takes many risks, whether it be visually, thematically, or with how it approaches interactivity, and it's largely responded to by the gaming community with "lol wheres the guns?!?!1"

This game has also unfortunately been the target of predictable childish console warring nonsense and bitter hyperbole around what it is and what it isn't. And going by much of the commentary here and elsewhere, it's largely coming from those that haven't even played the game and have no intention to. Are we knocking Journey because of it's lack of combat, puzzles, and short length? Portal 1 & 2 because of their lack of combat and short lengths? INSIDE? The Stanley Parable? What Remains of Edith Finch?

Why are we acting like it's a bad thing for a developer to try something different within this interactive medium? For as much as everyone complains that "modern AAA games are all cookie-cutter and take no risks", we sure seem to act pissed off when someone tries something that diverts from the typical formula. Or even worse, many who are celebrating it's poor sales as some type of a win for gaming. It's like everyone complaining about Michael Bay films or the typical Marvel schlock, yet no one shows up to watch A24. Do we just want everything to be Call of Duty and Fortnite and Madden? Because that's where we're going if AAA releases like this one are responded to this way.

So yeah, 6 months into the year, Hellblade II is my GOTY thus far, just edging out the Ghost of Tsushima PC release.

Here's a few shots of my playthrough:

53779905608_9fb7268454_o.png

53780112785_0413e221d5_o.png

53778762972_704d245723_o.png

53779691711_e6fed910fc_o.png

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Cool. I’m planning on giving it a try after I come home from vacation in a week. Doesn’t seem like my kind of game, but the visuals look so good, so I wanna at least give it a shot.

But speaking of early GOTYs, I feel like Astro Bot is gonna take it for me, and it’s not even out yet lol.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Biggest disappointment of the year for me. Feels like a complete retread of the first game, which I gave a lot of goodwill to mainly because it was an indie title.. And it was (and still is) impressive for an indie.

I have no idea what they’ve been wasting their time on with this. It could’ve (and should’ve) been so much more.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

So I love games like Edith Finch etc, but Hellblade II took it to the next level. Holding up for extended periods of time felt brutal, especially as you want it over as fast as possible so you’re also holding LB at the same time to “run”. Painful.

Oh, and rather hilariously, I played the majority of the game not realizing there was a parry mechanic. I was rolling out of the way for every fight. Maybe I missed some tutorial-y thing but… yeah, whoops.

Anyway, this game is a tech demo and I did not find it anywhere near as powerful as the first game. Also, the hidden totem things with story updates are pretty meaningless and disjointed if you don’t find them all in one play through. That was frustrating, and not really handled well (like the first as I recall).

Roberts

Not like I have played a lot of new games, but it’s my temp GOTY as well. There are a few things I wish they could have done differently, but it’s one hell of a visceral, emotional journey.

Damigos

Plaything through it right now, i am 2 hours in. Technically and narratively is very impressive, but lack of gameplay cant make it my game of the year

Kilau

It's at the top of my list right now as well but I need to get back to Rebirth and still lots more to come this year.

midnightAI

I'm glad many liked it, wasn't for me, but I also want Ninja Theory to do well. Now if they could go a au and remake Heavenly Sword with those graphics then we'd have something.

Am enjoying it, still haven’t finished it, cause in middle of BG3 play through.

I can see the game connecting strongly with people. And also other way round, especially if you expected something else. Its not a safe, universally appealing title at all.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
You were impressed by the physics? (or lack of)
I suppose I should clarify that I am referring to the cloth and hair physics in particular. And an amazing scene involving water.

A movie is your game of the year when the year isnt over? It’s nice when the xbox fanboys show their faces. All you had to do was post in the OT that you loved the game and thats it,.
  1. You clearly didn’t read my post
  2. Hilarious that you’re using the exact fanboy shit argument I called out in my post
  3. “Xbox fanboy”? As I wrote in my post, my 2nd favorite game of the year is a Sony game. And for reference, my favorite game of all time is The Last of Us Part II.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

A 7 hour movie is too long for me these days, sorry.

They should have sided with Netflix and do a season with 45 minute episodes.

Tired Alex GIF by Un si grand soleil

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member
I will refrain from judging the game until I am done with my second playthrough. Whenever that may be.

Last edited:

simpatico

I'm all for trying new things, but a cutscene based game about women's mental health is pretty low on the list of concepts I'd like to see explored in a game.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Remember OP, GAF can't really slate you as Halo:Infinite is GAF's 2021 Game of the Year.

LordCBH

If the only games that released this year were Hellblade 2 and a Ride to Hell Retribution Remaster, Hellblade 2 STILL wouldn’t be game of the year.

Fredrik

I loved it too!
But No Rest go the Wicked is my GOTY, until Shadow of the Erdtree comes out.
Somebody is probably going to say that Early Access games and Expansions can’t be GOTY. I don’t care.

Eiknarf

I still wanna try it.
I have to see for myself how it stacks up against the first because I dug the first one.

I don’t mind simple combat in games. Sometimes game combat has so many button configurations that I forget what combo does what…etc

But I’m poking fun at the fact that the buzz for this is already gone.

If it wasn’t for this thread, people are not talking about this game anymore (just two weeks after release)

Meanwhile, games like Ghost of Tsushima, Hogwarts Legacy, and even the remake of The Last of Us Part I were talked about for months after they came out.

Topher

Gold Member
To me, it was ok. The walking was tiresome. The combat was average. The animations were incredible. I liked the parts getting the giants backstory and learning their name. Just wasn't enough of it. There was far too much empty space in that game. 6.5 or 7/10 for me.

Top Bottom