• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II has a poor launch on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
At the time of going to press, Senua's Saga: Hellblade II has recorded a peak of 2290 simultaneous players. This number is lower than Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, which had 5,653 seven years ago.

There's a good chance that the number of players will rise as the days go by, but we must remember that here we have a title that was released day-one via the Game Pass service, and here we unfortunately don't have the data to check the number of players.

DFTkhEL.png

SIfrSuP.png

On Xbox, you can get a baseline by going to Microsoft's website and looking at the most "played" games at the moment and unfortunately Senua's Saga: Hellblade II doesn't even appear in the top 50 (this top is constantly updated).

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I thought after Ghost of Tsushima PC, people would have learn not to judge based on concurrent users few hours after launch. Apparently not.

Last edited:
I assume this is the exact kind of game that Game Pass will hurt sales. 5-8 hours of gameplay for 17 bucks instead of 50 bucks on Steam. I doubt it ever gets THAT high, but I bet it does well in Steam sales down the road as a tech demo. A lot of people will test their rigs on this one.

EDIT: Also... really shitty title thread as usual for the OP. Maybe wait until people can actually play tonight for a real number.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
People are playing it for "free" on gamepass. There's no reason to pay $50 for a 5 hour game when you can pay $1 and play it on gamepass and then cancel your subscription. That or people already have gamepass and are playing it there.

Vlodril

Thread should be closed. It’s based on nothing. Game just came out. It will peak during the weekend.

We get threads like this for every game it seems (got, helldivers etc). You could say it's way too early in the day for a full picture but you could get a good understanding from first day sales (unless it's an outlier of course like helldivers 2 that kept going up and up for weeks).

Jaybe

Gold Member
People are playing it for "free" on gamepass. There's no reason to pay $50 for a 5 hour game when you can pay $1 and play it on gamepass and then cancel your subscription. That or people already have gamepass and are playing it there.

Plus there are full playthroughs at 5 hours in length already posted on YouTube so it can be consumed for free. Given the limited actual “game” in this that’s being reported, I’ll likely opt for YouTube.

Last edited:

realcool

At the time of going to press, Senua's Saga: Hellblade II has recorded a peak of 2290 simultaneous players. This number is lower than Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, which had 5,653 seven years ago.

There's a good chance that the number of players will rise as the days go by, but we must remember that here we have a title that was released day-one via the Game Pass service, and here we unfortunately don't have the data to check the number of players.

DFTkhEL.png

SIfrSuP.png

On Xbox, you can get a baseline by going to Microsoft's website and looking at the most "played" games at the moment and unfortunately Senua's Saga: Hellblade II doesn't even appear in the top 50 (this top is constantly updated).

spawn camper 😂😂

Topher

Gold Member

Also, isn't Xbox most played only updated once a month?

What is up with gaf consistently doing these steam concurrent player threads? It's just weird, can place a stat like that in the OT or you know, wait like a week or a couple days if it's something that seems deemed worthy to talk about. It's still working business hours in the states and in most of Europe on a Tuesday. Don't care what game this is, not much is gonna get played at this time

I assume this is the exact kind of game that Game Pass will hurt sales. 5-8 hours of gameplay for 17 bucks instead of 50 bucks on Steam. I doubt it ever gets THAT high, but I bet it does well in Steam sales down the road as a tech demo. A lot of people will test their rigs on this one.

EDIT: Also... really shitty title thread as usual for the OP. Maybe wait until people can actually play tonight for a real number.

More like 5-6 hours, apparently.

Also it's possible sales on Steam grow over time due to possible showcase as a UE5 tech demo, but I don't think the audience for that is very large. It'd assume they have top-end GPUs & CPUs for starters, the percentage of such owners registered in Steam GPU surveys being very small. They also are likely the ones buying the game at launch.

I do think it'll make a neat "streamer" game though, so a lot of streamers will take to it. However since it's so linear and short, I don't know if it'll translate much into sales.

More like 5-6 hours, apparently.

Also it's possible sales on Steam grow over time due to possible showcase as a UE5 tech demo, but I don't think the audience for that is very large. It'd assume they have top-end GPUs & CPUs for starters, the percentage of such owners registered in Steam GPU surveys being very small. They also are likely the ones buying the game at launch.

I do think it'll make a neat "streamer" game though, so a lot of streamers will take to it. However since it's so linear and short, I don't know if it'll translate much into sales.
I wrote 8 because it looks like there is reason to replay and 100% the game. Might go longer than that actually.

Braag

It's like 6 hours long. I can't justify 50€ for that. For 39,90 I might have bought it for the audio visual experience.
This is totally something you play on gamepass if you have it.

zapper

I would wait at least a couple of days to see the total. in other cases I would say to wait until the weekend but by then most of those who are playing it now will have already finished it.

it is impossible to decree its success or otherwise given the type of product by looking at the sales numbers or connected players

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
oH1ncTl.png

Dunking on GP titles not doing well for £50 RRP is silly. Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom