• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEO Ruined The Internet

-Minsc-

I managed to find Pancake under the breakfast category. All is good.

They even have a recipe for french toast.

I always just make french toast, never really considered there was a recipe for it. Basically I just crack some eggs in a bowl, splash in some milk and tap in some vanilla.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I like that old theory that the quickest way to find something out is to confidently post the wrong answer and wait for someone to smugly correct you.
Lol someone on Reddit told me a story about how he wanted to sell some car part so he posted on some automotive forum and asked how much it’s worth. All he got was a bunch of snarky replies like “it’s only worth what others are willing to pay” etc

So he posted another thread offering it for sale at some high price, and got a bunch of replies telling him he’s an idiot and telling him exactly how much they’d be willing to pay for it.

Myths

The only foreseeable solution might be Search Engine culling: Basically, no different from limiting your search to websites as you would in Google for example or using specific engines in your browser’s search field.

Maybe you have assembled a search category encompassing games which might include IGN/Polygon/GameFAQs/GameSpot/NeoGAF etc…

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
At least it's better than when you would just get a wall of text of possible search words:
'Red blue green yellow car truck Ferrari pink purple Britney spears fight job pirate silent loud nude jpg gif hill mountain valley door window house card present walk hint help start stop Doom quake free download dog cat crack iso exe aguilera'

StereoVsn

On a side note......while we are all complaining about the internet. I cannot even go to sites like Kotaku, IGN, Gamespot, as it's a barrage of ads, videos, movies, etc......even GameFaqs now has fucking ads. Not only is it annoying, it drains the shit out of my phone battery. I try to use 'reader view' but that isn't always an option. It's terrible.
Key is using Firefox with plugins, DuckDuckGo or Brave. Edge and Chrome are useless.

Edellus

It is very annoying. To avoid that I include names of the sites that usually go to the point, like forums.

But at least it has a workaround. Youtube, on the other hand, is barely functional. Whenever I search something in there, I get like 6 results relevant to the query, and all the rest are shorts, videos I've already watched, stuff somewhat related but that I definitely didn't search for.

IAmRei

reminds me to gamesradar and their similar sites. it is hard to find some games in certain game genre, without their listicle not appears in search engine

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
100% facts. And there's dynamically AI generated bullshit now, too. Completely unusable. Just gotta rely on communities directly now. Gamefaqs, dedicated reddits, discords, steam page forums, etc. If it's a popular/recent game you can post in the official thread here.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean and it's not just gaming.

I've got a couple of apple trees in my garden so every year my wife and I pick them and she makes an apple crumble. She was away with her family this year so I decided to do it myself. I just wanted to find out how to cook the apples and make sure I wasn't doing it wrong.

It turns out it's a very simple process (boil the apples in a small amount of water with a but of sugar and cinnamon). However, every site I looked at consisted of pages of crap talking about how My mom used to bake apple pies when I was (cue the whole life story of the person writing it) or ten pages on the history of apples. Endless bullshit until I actually found one simple site that explained it in a couple of sentences.

Post is kinda sus.

Who'd be hating on SEO, so much that their social life is being interrupted by pesky fat nerds and whales online? Hmmm...

Wait, Sandi Gardiner, is that you?

Last edited:

Hudo

And now, thanks to you...

DySTy4H.png
lmao, this is hilarious (and sad)

Hudo

Yeah, search engines have regressed MASSIVELY over the past several years, can't even type in exclusions anymore to refine your search, shits infuriating.
I feel that this is even more noticable when you search for papers or specific problems in math or some shit for a programming language. The results are worse than what I remember them being years ago. Up to the point where I am afraid I might need to start to solve my problems on my own again.

manzo

It is very annoying. To avoid that I include names of the sites that usually go to the point, like forums.

But at least it has a workaround. Youtube, on the other hand, is barely functional. Whenever I search something in there, I get like 6 results relevant to the query, and all the rest are shorts, videos I've already watched, stuff somewhat related but that I definitely didn't search for.
”I PM’d you the fix bro”

SenkiDala

Once upon a time if you were stuck in a game, you could search it online and get the answer. Here's a scenario:

I'm playing Silent Hill 8 or something and there's a red door that's locked, I don't know how to progress. You take to google "silent hill 8 red door"

Within seconds you'd go straight for one of the top 3 results and you'd have an answer, usually gamefaqs forum or something, in plain text

Now that games, the news and media surrounding games, and internet bullshit in general is big bux we have to deal with SEO - Search Engine Optimization - the magic internet tricks that will get your site to number 1!

This is where the goons come in and spray out a volcano of shit that can be summarized with buzzwords like CONTENT, ENGAGEMENT, BACKLINKS, KEYWORDZ.

Now when you take to google and search "silent hill 8 red door"

You'll get a shitty fake website, eurogamer, polygon or gamerant etc. with a whole page dedicated to that pesky red door.

Says the search result leading to their site. Then you click and get a whole page of SEO word salad bullshit.

How to unlock the red door in Silent Hill 8

Silent Hill
is a horror anthology media franchise centered on a series of survival horror games created by Konami. The first four video games in the series, Silent Hill, Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 4: The Room, were developed by Team Silent, development staff within Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo. The later six games, Origins, Homecoming, Shattered Memories, Downpour, Book of Memories and P.T. (a Silent Hills playable teaser), were developed by other, mostly Western developers. The Silent Hill franchise has expanded to include various print pieces, two feature films, and spin-off video games. As of 2013, the game series has sold over 8.4 million copies worldwide.

What is Silent Hill 8?
The latest made up game, Silent Hill 8, is a return to form for the series regardless of the number 8 being the first number I thought of. Fans are ecstatic at the return of this survival horror series developed by Konami called Silent Hill.

Where is the Red Door in Silent Hill 8?
The red door in Silent Hill 8 is a door that's located in a hallway. To accees the Red Door in Silent Hill 8 you must first pass the Green Door in Silent Hill 8. Once you pass both the blue and green doors in Silent Hill 8 for PS5, Xbox Series S|X and Steam you will finally arrive at the Red Door. If you're not sure of where the GREEN DOOR IN SILENT HILL 8 FOR PS5 is, you can try looking at our list of best SSDs for PS5.

<AUTOPLAYING VIDEO>

Unlocking Silent Hill 8's Red Door

To unlock the red door in Silent Hill 8 written and directed by Hideo Kojima starring Michael Biehn with a musical score by Akira Toriyama, you'll need to first make sure you have the 9mm pistol. You can listen to last week's podcast on how to unlock the 9mm pistol. Once you have the ah I fucken give up on this joke but you get the gist right? Some more padding and kickback links then I tell you to shoot the moon emblem.

Fuck off.
I've been in that situation quite often I must admit. And yes that's absolute bullshit.

The absolute worst result is googling some problem with Windows, clicking on anything from like their official help forums, and seeing the Microsoft MVP Copypasta troubleshooting tips.

I add "reddit" to most of my searches not because reddit is wonderful, but you'll at least generally get actual people or something resembling actual people weighing in on stuff.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

YouTube search is so fundamentally shit it has to be on purpose.

Laptop1991

Yeah, the searches are no where near as good as they use to be, totally agree OP, i use youtube when i'm stuck in a game now, but i miss when i was able to alt tab out of the game then find out from youtube then alt tab back into the game without issue with Steam, you can't do that anymore either, i have to quit the game or it just stays on black screen!.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
You gotta get an adblocker--except for on Neogaf, where you either whitelist it or get Gold, obviously. I can't imagine navigating the internet without one these days.

My work computer doesn't have an adblocker, and I feel like I'm in a cyberpunk dystopia when I browse the internet on it.
Would ad blocker even work on an Iphone for these sites. It's more their own videos that keep loading.

I like that old theory that the quickest way to find something out is to confidently post the wrong answer and wait for someone to smugly correct you.
Or just don't be a dumbass and learn how to do proper research and learn the market yourself. But people are too lazy to do that and then they do a surprise pickachu face when someone tells them they are an idiot. Or ask questions in none toxic places.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

I have found Yandex to be decent for finding stuff I actually searched for. It is more like an old engine and can put an obscure forum as the first result.

Filldo

The videos are awful and this new 'content' tends to talk circles around what you need. It's harder to find those old HTML GameFaqs walkthroughs. Not just SEO but those older sites are attempting to upgrade to the latter stated. I don't need fluff, sponsors, videos or photos. Just tell me what to do without having to skip to page 3 in search results.
This is my biggest pet peeve about the modern internet. Apparently no one can read anymore so everything is a fucking video. You could describe what I need in one paragraph but no, I need to skim a 10 minute video instead taking far longer than if you just gave me a paragraph or two.

the_master

I wouldn’t worry about it. SEO will be dead very soon with the new ai driven search browsers, and u’ll get the answers much more directly.
You mean ai will generate millions of derivative webpages of pure garbage.

The difference is that you won’t even know if any of that is true or if it is trying to be helpful.

mdkirby

You mean ai will generate millions of derivative webpages of pure garbage.

The difference is that you won’t even know if any of that is true or if it is trying to be helpful.
No, I mean ai search, it’s an expanded version of the questions/answers that already appear at the top of google search queries.

Soon u simply won’t need to go to a website at all, what you’re looking for will just be right there spoon fed to you at the top of the page.

Yeah ai hallucinates a lot at the moment, about some stuff more than others. But we’re still early, each iteration will hallucinate less and less.

Not to mention, even on the times it gets something wrong, it’s still marginal compared to how long I spend searching for something, scrolling down pages of text in an article past ads etc, to only find it doesn’t have the answer I was looking for after all.

Last edited:
Yeah don't get me started on cooking sites.
You'll be scrolling down for 2 and half hours and then it's like:

"At last they rode over the downs and took the East Road, and then Merry and Pippin rode on to Buckland; and already they were singing again as they went. But Sam turned to Bywater, and so came back up the Hill, as day was ending once more. And he went on, and there was yellow light, and fire within; and the evening meal was ready, and he was expected. And Rose drew him in, and set him in his chair, and put little Elanor upon his lap. He drew a deep breath. ‘Well, I’m back,’ he said.

Anyway you'll need 2 cups of Flour...."
Food is about the experience, not the actual food, taste or ingredients.

Unknown?

I wouldn’t worry about it. SEO will be dead very soon with the new ai driven search browsers, and u’ll get the answers much more directly.
Then you have to rely on the AI being correct and according to ChatGPT, it's wrong very often. It makes you lose your ability to research yourself and make it an authority on information when it's not.

As for search results, I've used unlock Origin to remove all the "instant answer" sidebars and all Wikipedia results when I do a search.

If you want a good search, use SearX.

Last edited:

the_master

No, I mean ai search, it’s an expanded version of the questions/answers that already appear at the top of google search queries.

Soon u simply won’t need to go to a website at all, what you’re looking for will just be right there spoon fed to you at the top of the page.

Yeah ai hallucinates a lot at the moment, about some stuff more than others. But we’re still early, each iteration will hallucinate less and less.

Not to mention, even on the times it gets something wrong, it’s still marginal compared to how long I spend searching for something, scrolling down pages of text in an article past ads etc, to only find it doesn’t have the answer I was looking for after all.
But do you think AIs will also get better at producing info for “search” AIs to chose from?
Also. How would people running webs feel about people not reading them and seeing ads or buying stuff because an AI is stealing their info?
I guess it will need to be well sorted out and offer links to the pages with answers

BbMajor7th

O5RL1tZ.png

A 500 word salad article to say "NO"
A stellar example of modern media strategy: instead of researching and writing pieces about specific subjects, you just look for high-volume search queries and produce content to match it.

I reckon about 50% of online, journal-style content is created this way now. All you need is a reasonable search volume and about 500 words of fluff so that:

1. You can stuff additional keywords.
2. You can fit in a few ad impressions.
3. Google doesn't think you're taking the piss.

Add to that an enticing title that promises an answer without actually giving it and you're golden. Overheads are minimal, returns are reasonable and you can get a freelancer to knock out half a dozen a day. Newspapers, magazines, hobbyist press - everyone's doing it.

But don't blame SEO though - it's just the means, not the motivation. Articles are only created like this for the ad revenue - the money.

Another classic example of capitalism turning everything it touches to shit.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Game rant - spider-man-2-game-leaks-file-size/

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 File Size Leaked​

BYJ BRODIE SHIREY
PUBLISHED 2 HOURS AGO

Marvel's Spider-Man 2's file size is leaked thanks to the limited-edition PS5 bundle, and it may be significantly bigger than the last two games.
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is expected to be much bigger than its predecessors, featuring new locations and powerful abilities for Peter Parker and Miles Morales
  • The game is speculated to take up a significant amount of storage space on the PlayStation 5.
  • The leaked file size of 98 GB, found on the limited-edition PS5 console bundle box, indicates that Marvel's Spider-Man 2 will be much larger than previous games in the series.
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 isn’t swinging onto the PlayStation 5 for about another month, but fans might already have an idea how much drive space Insomniac’s latest superhero adventure could take up. Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 looks to be much bigger than its two predecessors, adding new locations to the open world of New York City and giving Peter Parker and Miles Morales a host of powerful new abilities. In Peter’s case, some of these new powers come from the classic Symbiote costume that he dons in Spider-Man 2, which will introduce classic Marvel villains like Venom and Kraven the Hunter to Insomniac’s growing comic-based universe.

Spider-Man 2 looks to be a technical marvel from what has been shown of the game so far, and most fans expect it to take up a fair amount of space on the PS5’s memory drive. While the physical version of Spider-Man 2 is only one disk, the game’s doubled map size has players guessing that it will be almost 100 GB - putting it on par with contemporary first-party PlayStation titles like God of War Ragnarok. Spider-Man 2 being exclusive to the PlayStation 5 could also factor into its overall size, as some titles take up less space on Sony’s newest console than the older PS4.

RELATED:Marvel's Spider-Man 2 Fan Notices An Interesting Reveal Trailer Connection In The Original Game

Fans might have just caught a glimpse into how big Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 will be thanks to the limited-edition Spider-Man 2 PlayStation 5 console bundle. As pointed out by the Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 Countdown Twitter account, the box states that Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 requires a minimum of 98 GB of storage for the base game. Of course, this doesn’t take into account any post-launch update patches that might be released, which could increase the amount of space required for Insomniac’s newest web-swinging adventure.

As many have expected, this leaked Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 file size is significantly larger than the games that came before it. Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered for the PS5 took up about 53.76 GB, while Spider-Man: Miles Morales was 50 GB on the same console and 52 GB on the PS4. In fact, if this leak is correct then Spider-Man 2 will be even bigger than the aforementioned God of War Ragnarok, which only took up 84 GB in its original version on the PS5.

With two playable Spider-heroes that can be switched on the fly and additional sections of New York to swing through, it should come as no surprise that Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 is significantly beefier than its two multi-system predecessors. While Insomniac has yet to officially confirm Spider-Man 2’s file size, the fact that this tidbit can be found on the limited-edition PS5 console buddle box is a strong indicator that the game will indeed be 98 GB at launch. Fans who haven’t ordered the full Spider-Man 2 console bundle will still have a while to see the game’s size for themselves, as pre-loading doesn’t begin until October 13.

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 launches on October 20 for PlayStation 5.

Worst website ever?

Last edited:
A stellar example of modern media strategy: instead of researching and writing pieces about specific subjects, you just look for high-volume search queries and produce content to match it.
Yeah exactly, when the use of SEO went from "how can I get Google to notice this great content?" to "lets churn out word salad garbage and force Google to notice it" it was all over.

It is so funny when there is a new big game out seeing some of the websites that randomly have guide articles for it. Cooking and travel blogs are going to have quest guides for Starfield just because it will be the hot SEO keyword for a couple weeks.

feel like tons of youtube videos do something similar.

video title: how to wipe your ass
length: 16:29

0:00 - 5:30: host says hello/gives an update on his life
5:31 - 9:45: history of toilet paper pt 1
9:46 - 11:04: sponsor crap
11:05 - 14:02: history of toilet paper pt2
14:03 - 14:29: how to wipe your ass
14:30 - 16:29: outro/"watch my other videos"/thank you

The old Internet was so great. I really do miss it, as it was a big collaborative effort between lots of people. Now it's just megacorps hogging most of the traffic and turning everything into a for profit endeavor

Top Bottom