• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seoul Halloween Crush

Tams

People forget that humans are animals, just as any other creature on this planet. We are just as capable as entering fight or flight mode in large groups and stampeding over eachother, just as other heard animals do when they get panicked. This was sensless, and unneccessary. Who ever organized this needs to rot in prison for the rest of their life. Folks don’t realize that when you’re in fight or flight, your in survival mode, you dont care if others die so long as you live. So take a few thousand people who feel like. Put them a small alleyway, and this is what happens
I agree that we are still animals.

But this wasn't organised. It's just a nightlife hotspot. So the responsibility mostly falls on the police as the unified body with the ability and resources to manage it (individuals and individual businesses can't do much at that scale).

Tams

Mr Yoon said police had received numerous calls before the accident happened, alerting them to the seriousness of the situation, but their response was lacking. Seoul police said the first call to South Korea's emergency number came at 18:34 local time and there were 10 more calls over the next three-and-a-half hours.

As expected, the police fucked up. Really fucked up.

TylerD

The video from the front of where the crush started, clearly showing people that did not make it was horrifying and heartbreaking.

What a waste of life.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
that woman screaming for her life, unfortunately, didn't make it (as you can see moments after the above video)
The guy made it, though.
Yeah looks like it helps to be taller in these situations...your upper body is still safe...the shorter people are screwed.

Jinzo Prime

My dad always stressed about crowd awareness and safety... now I know why. This is just messed up.

Last edited:

Tams

It's messed up but they didn't want to admit anything for liability and embarrassment. They could have done something to help and it's their job to protect people.
Did you expect anything different?

I can't think of a single police force in the world that would fully fess up to having shit the bed this badly.

Spaceman292

Banned
And did you guys see the Morbi bridge collapse in India? So many tragedies like this lately. Then there was the recent soccer game, where tear gas was sprayed and people trampled each other.

But RIP to these victims. Tragic.
That was more to do with the fact that the bridge was over 100 years old and made of string and elastic bands. The whole reason it was a tourist attraction was that it was dangerously unstable. In the footage you can see everyone jumping up and down on it too.

Tams

Annnnnnd... the police seem to be trying to blame others now.

But officials blame one another for that failure. The national police say they asked the Seoul City Metro to prevent trains from stopping at Itaewon station on Saturday to limit the crowds. The Metro has denied this, saying it only received an official request one hour after the deadly crush had happened.

The Yongsan police have also said that local businesses asked them not to control the crowds at the weekend to avoid reducing their customers; the local business association has denied this.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
That was more to do with the fact that the bridge was over 100 years old and made of string and elastic bands. The whole reason it was a tourist attraction was that it was dangerously unstable. In the footage you can see everyone jumping up and down on it too.
It’s just a tragedy either way. But actually the bridge had just been “renovated”.

It should not have had that many people on it.

Spaceman292

Banned
It’s just a tragedy either way. But actually the bridge had just been “renovated”.

It should not have had that many people on it.
Watch the footage of the collapse. The bridge looked like that one in Indiana Jones. I'm not sure what sort of renovations you can do on that.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Watch the footage of the collapse. The bridge looked like that one in Indiana Jones. I'm not sure what sort of renovations you can do on that.
Just the typical renovations. I used quotes because there is a good chance they didn't do a very good job of it.

I'm not really sure what's in contention though, tbh. My point is just that there are a lot of tragedies involving big groups lately.

pramod

Banned
Annnnnnd... the police seem to be trying to blame others now.

Wow, anyways, I'm sure there's going to be a thorough inquiry into everything just like after the Sewol disaster.
People are definitely going to jail and politicians are going to lose their jobs.
But it's just weird in a supposedly first-world and modern society like South Korea, this kind of stuff keeps happening. I wonder if it's signs of a deeper rot within their society that we don't see.

Last edited:

Tams

Wow, anyways, I'm sure there's going to be a thorough inquiry into everything just like after the Sewol disaster.
People are definitely going to jail and politicians are going to lose their jobs.
But it's just weird in a supposedly first-world and modern society like South Korea, this kind of stuff keeps happening. I wonder if it's signs of a deeper rot within their society that we don't see.

Part of the issue is that they democractised very quickly and are a very young democracy. It was that long ago that it was quite a nasty dictatorship (just a Western aligned one).

And corruption does run deep, as with chaebols. Japan had similar with the zaibatsu, and you still see some of their influence on officials' integrity and competence in Japan.

If you look at similar countries like Taiwan and Singapore: Taiwan has corruption issues and incompetence (see the recent high speed rail accident), and Singapore is still pretty authoritarian.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Why?

It's a celebration that has you dress up in silly clothes, and for adults an excuse to get drunk too. It's fun anywhere, and in such straight-laced places as east Asia, a very welcome break for young people.
Just figured it was an American thing that's all.

-Minsc-

LegalMindest (American Lawyer) who lives very close to Itaewon in Seoul. Explaining and going over the area.

Been thinking about this incident off and on since I learned of it on the weekend. Mentioned in the video is how the laws of fluid dynamics take over the density of people becomes 5-6 people per square meter. A crowd becoming a fluid is what came to my mind when people here were talking about how mobs of people behave completely different than an individual.

I also thought of the irony behind this incident. People came out to party because all the Covid rules and restrictions were lifted. Party time, no rules! In reality, social distancing would have prevented this from happening. If I'm to trust the video, police were present last year and managing the crowds due to Covid restrictions.

This tragedy is showing me how much I take the wide open spaces around me for granted.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Just figured it was an American thing that's all.
Many cultures celebrate or observe/remembrance of dead family members. Especially in East Asia, every year we do some kind of ceremony for our deceased family member.

As for Halloween especially Korea and Japan, those 2 countries are very influenced by western cultures. American cultures weee introduced by near by US military bases. Itaewon use to have a US military base and the base moved by still near by. Itaewon is basically a suburb of Seoul and really a district that has a lot of foreigners. Halloween has become pretty big in Itaewon.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Been thinking about this incident off and on since I learned of it on the weekend. Mentioned in the video is how the laws of fluid dynamics take over the density of people becomes 5-6 people per square meter. A crowd becoming a fluid is what came to my mind when people here were talking about how mobs of people behave completely different than an individual.

I also thought of the irony behind this incident. People came out to party because all the Covid rules and restrictions were lifted. Party time, no rules! In reality, social distancing would have prevented this from happening. If I'm to trust the video, police were present last year and managing the crowds due to Covid restrictions.

This tragedy is showing me how much I take the wide open spaces around me for granted.
I can understand why you mention Covid restrictions. But these tragedies have happened many times before Covid and the possibility will continue to happen when there are major events or celebrations that attract huge crowds.

If there were policy and they were already blocking the area to vehicles already! They need to monitor the area better for the overloaded crowd and start restricting access!

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Many cultures celebrate or observe/remembrance of dead family members. Especially in East Asia, every year we do some kind of ceremony for our deceased family member.

As for Halloween especially Korea and Japan, those 2 countries are very influenced by western cultures. American cultures weee introduced by near by US military bases. Itaewon use to have a US military base and the base moved by still near by. Itaewon is basically a suburb of Seoul and really a district that has a lot of foreigners. Halloween has become pretty big in Itaewon.
I'm Mexican I know about the day of the dead. My relatives back home go to the cemetery and set up shrines with food and flowers and spend the whole day there. Some of you are awfully defensive over an innocous comment.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Gold Member
I'm Mexican I know about the day of the dead. My relatives back home go to the cemetery and set up shrines with food and flowers and spend the whole day there. Some of you are awfully defensive over an innocous comment.
You are misunderstanding my reply. It’s more of trying to explain how cultures are similar and can be adopted by other cultures!

Tams

It just makes you look a bit closed-minded to not have thought that other people might want to celebrate a festival/holiday that isn't their own, especially if it's an excuse to eat and drink. It's not the middle ages anymore.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
You are misunderstanding my reply. It’s more of trying to explain how cultures are similar and can be adopted by other cultures!
In America Halloween has no real meaning anymore its just a day to party and for kids to get candy. Didn't know south korea had Co opted it. That's all. South Korea can celebrate St Patrick's day for all I care.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
It just makes you look a bit closed-minded to not have thought that other people might want to celebrate a festival/holiday that isn't their own, especially if it's an excuse to eat and drink. It's not the middle ages anymore.
I just didn't know they celebrated Halloween nothing more nothing less. You can fuck right off with this

Top Bottom