• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously, how did we end up here?

SteadyEvo

I’m no expert but doesn’t Sony and MS sharing games outside their console make them more money? I dunno, I could be wrong. But that is the point of a business right?

apples and oranges

Pokemon Go, Super Mario Run... so Nintendo is also third party?

Nintendo is competing more directly with the mobile market, also successfully kept all or at least many of their IPs alive, throughout generations of people, so their whole approach can and probably must be different.
Mario on PS and Samus on XBox and Splatton on PC may or may not have been even more succesfull. Switch has not sold as much as wii+DS combined, so they caught lightning a third time, but very much like the other two face an uphill battle against mobile, PC, PC handhelds. So for now it worked out, but will they be able to do that forever? I doubt it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Nintendo typically makes fun and inventive games, usually with an absurd amount of polish.

A good 80% of what Sony/MS make are recycled concepts with the same gameplay we’ve had for years.

Maybe I’m just jaded but I haven’t been excited about anything except Astro Bot for the last year.

Sushi_Combo

I’m no expert but doesn’t Sony and MS sharing games outside their console make them more money? I dunno, I could be wrong. But that is the point of a business right?
That is the reality that exists today. Exclusives at a certain period were made to sell consoles. With ballooning costs of development nowadays it is much more difficult to recoup costs if you only sell it on 1 platform.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Nintendo killed their console lineup. Now they just focus on their always popular handheld lineup. Even when Wii U was shitting the bed the 3DS was selling gangbusters.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well excuse me, I didn't know that 10 million was a lie. Even if it is, and it stands at 15, I understand that the game enjoyed a sales surge after the popularity of the TV show. Which means that Part II accomplished half the sales with the help of being cross-promoted by TV as the first game did on PS3/4 based on its own merits as a brand new game.

The bolded is true. But keep in mind these things.....

- TLOU 1 has been out for 11 years.
- TLOU 1 sold 17 million in it's first 5 years.
- TLOU 1 has been released 3 separate times. Once on PS3, once on PS4 (Remaster), and once on PS5 (Remake)

- TLOU 2 has been out for 4 years.
- TLOU 2 sold 10.3 million units in 1.5 years
- TLOU 2 has sold an estimated 14-15 million units in 3 years (with the help of the TV show)
- TLOU 2 has been released twice

So in conclusion, it's on pace to sell the same amount of games as TLOU 1 within it's first 5 years. Will it hit 30 million? Probably not. I think it's impossible. But can it hit 20 million after 10 years? Yes!

That’s the comment I responded to. Seems no one read that.

Has nothing to do with Game Pass, VR, or handheld streaming devices.

Well that's not fair lol! You're taking a chip off of Xbox's and Playstation's table. That's moving the goalpost. Not fair at all. All three companies innovate and take risk in their own way. It doesn't have to be the same way Nintendo does it for it to count.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Nintendo was failing so badly with the Wii U that their going third party wasn't just demanded from the rest of the industry but basically treated as a given. Ten years later

BN-DA121_Mario_FR_20140530030224.jpg

Fahdis

What ip is taking risks? Spiderman 4? Last of Us Remake of the Remaster? Gears of War?

Nice of you to leave out Dreams, Concrete Genie, Puppeteer, Rain, Entwined, Destruction Allstars etc etc. Its all new stuff. Nintendo doesn't take chances by making a new IP, they just slap the reinvention on a Mario, Kirby or other platformers and call it a day.

What is the baseline here? Something like LABO definitely seemed very high risk.

Ring Fit Adventure and ARMS didn’t seem like very safe games either. Neither did Game Builder Garage, which I’m not even sure how well it has sold..

Can you name some more?

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Nintendo typically makes fun and inventive games, usually with an absurd amount of polish.

A good 80% of what Sony/MS make are recycled concepts with the same gameplay we’ve had for years.

Maybe I’m just jaded but I haven’t been excited about anything except Astro Bot for the last year.
Nintendo has been relying on IPs that they invented in the 80s and 90s.

Robb

Gold Member
Can you name some more?
Some more of what? Potentially risky titles or new IP’s? What number would you be happy with?

In the post above you went back all the way to 2013 with stuff like Puppeteer. I’m sure you can find a long list of new Nintendo IP from 2013 to 2024 by just Googling, there’s already four in my original post and that’s not even including all the new Nintendo IP’s on Switch alone.

Fredrik

How did we end up here? Nintendo managing comebacks isnt really a new thing, but how did the rest of the industry get to the point where even PlayStation and Xbox had to go third party to varying degrees, and how did Nintendo stay immune?
Didn’t Iwata predict this with the blue ocean and red sea thing?

Either way, Nintendo just have a different strategy. If faced with the same problems as Microsoft we know Nintendo would’ve done a generation reset and new strategy launch instead.
And I don’t even know what problems Sony think they’re facing. Maybe they just want more money.

But tbh after the Xbox showcase. Should we care or be concerned? My own takeaway is that I’ll be feasting on games either way.

This thread LOL. All Nintendo has done is basically dropped their console hardware and gone all into Handheld. For me, the Switch is the follow-up to the 3DS.
Fair play it works, Handhelds is where Nintendo has done best, so it made perfect sense

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Some more of what? Potentially risky titles or new IP’s? What number would you be happy with?

In the post above you went back all the way to 2013 with stuff like Puppeteer. I’m sure you can find a long list of new Nintendo IP from 2013 to 2024 by just Googling, there’s already four in my original post and that’s not even including all the new Nintendo IP’s on Switch alone.

Sony's list is even larger plus VR, which has another ton of games. This isn't debatable, really.

Mind you, Sony takes risks because they don't have legacy IPs they can milk forever. That's what they would like, no doubt, but that's just not possible.

And I don’t even know what problems Sony think they’re facing. Maybe they just want more money.

Greedy execs who only care for short-term profits. That's Sony's problem, and it's a big one.

Rat Rage

Gold Member
that ten years ago Nintendo was failing so badly with the Wii U that their going third party wasn't just demanded from the rest of the industry but basically treated as a given

Seriously, your opening post falls apart with this sentence alone. Never ever, even during the Wii U's mega flop, was Nintendo on the verge of going third party. Even during the Wii U's era, Nintendo was a company that had no depts, didn't sell the Wii U at a loss, had 10 billions of dollars in cash reserves alone, and probably 10x that in IP value.
Who ever thought otherwise was just a poorly informed, ignorant fanboy.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nice of you to leave out Dreams, Concrete Genie, Puppeteer, Rain, Entwined, Destruction Allstars etc etc. It’s all new stuff. Nintendo doesn't take chances by making a new IP, they just slap the reinvention on a Mario, Kirby or other platformers and call it a day.

You had to go all the way back to PS3 to come up with a few games to name lol

AJUMP23

All business react to the market in various ways. Consumers react to to the market and the economy. Those reactions combine to end up where we are.

Fahdis

There isn't though.

Fahdis

Of course it’s debatable, the claim is:

Not more or less risk or more or less IP’s. It’s not a list war.

Nintendo very much has new IP’s every few years, and risky ones at that.

& SmokedMeat SmokedMeat

Lol, don't make me go into a wikipedia list war. You'll eat crow.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Greedy execs who only care for short-term profits. That's Sony's problem, and it's a big one.
Yeah short-term it’s easy money from a growing PC market.
Long-term I don’t think it’s a good idea. Nintendo knows this, they even close emulators now to control their bubble.

Top Bottom