• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Hearts 3 Official Trailer!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Niice.... uh
Reno
is a good character now? Does that happen some time during 2? Man I really need to get some time in on SH2....

Altermo

New stuff from the demo... special thanks goes to maskrider. I love you, man! :)

About 70 Images: http://z-o-g.org/gallery/shftnw

Movies (limited time, though. 2 days from now on):

FMV with Johnny and the unknown man wearing glasses: http://z-o-g.org/video/shftnw/shftnw-demo-fmv-1.wmv.zip
Battle scene with Shania´s Fusion "Thunder Bird": http://z-o-g.org/video/shftnw/shftnw-demo-shania-battle.wmv.zip
FMV with Johnny and Shania after the battle: http://z-o-g.org/video/shftnw/shftnw-demo-fmv-2.wmv.zip

Source: http://www.livejournal.com/community/shadow_hearts/

Enjoy!

duckroll

Hey thanks a lot. How's the SH3 demo anyway? Actual impressions would be nice, besides just media! Maskrider = rocks! :D

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Glad to see the unique series continue :D

belgurdo

Banned
The videos are running bad on my computer, but from what I see the game looks great. The music is as stellar as ever too

maskrider

belgurdo said:
The videos are running bad on my computer, but from what I see the game looks great. The music is as stellar as ever too

THe reason will be HQ 640x480 29.97fps WMV9 needs quite a good PC to play smoothly.

Kuran

Banned
I've never played a single SH game... am I missing out? I guess I just always missed them, reviews etc... so, should I play SH1&2 as my next PS2 rpg? Convince me! :)

maskrider

duckroll said:
Hey thanks a lot. How's the SH3 demo anyway? Actual impressions would be nice, besides just media! Maskrider = rocks! :D

The demo includes 2 short quests, one for Johnny in New York and the other for Shania in the tribe's sacred place at Grand Canyon.

The Johnny quest starts with Lenny and Johnny at the entrance of an avenue, which leads to a opera theatre where a man (Malow Brown) stays. Only Johnny is playable during the start, Shania will be playable at the final battle.

The aim of Shania quest is an investigation of an evil thing at the sacred place. Johnny, Shania, Ricard and Natan are playable.

The demo is much easier than SH2, the ring is much bigger, even bigger than DC version

sh-sh2-sh2dc-shftnw.jpg

The above image is direct comparison at exactly the same screen capture resolution.

The pattern of the judgement ring is also a little different.

The new double attack is pretty slick, and there is double combo, too. There is a stock bar under HP and MP, which decides whether you can double or combo.

Other than the new skills, the game play like SH2, I haven't seen Ring Customization yet, may be not in the demo.

The graphics in the demo is a little blurrier comparing to SH2.

And the combo system depends on the stock value, no longer depends on just the action priority.

More on the stock gauge and how stock value works

1. The stock gauge increases by the amount of damage you did on the enemies
2. When the stock gauge overflows, stock value increases by 1, max stock value is 2
3. If your SP is 0 or if you become or are in berserk state, your stock value & stock gauge will be 0
4. If you are attacked by enemies with Hard Hit, stock value decreases by 1
5. If your stock value is 1, you can choose Double or Combo, if it is 2, you can choose double combo
6. Double decreases stock by 1, you act twice but the actions in both rounds cannot be the same, you will have to hit a combined judgement ring
7. Combo decreases stock by 1, you can select any battle member regardless of turn priority
8. Double Combo (D Combo) decreases stock by 2, it is essentially a combination of #6 and #7
9. Combo magic is like SH2/C, for 4 (or max members in some situations, I suppose) battle members combo, it decreases stock by 2

Not sure about the determination of the max of stock gauge, nor know whether the max of the stock gauges are the same, yet.

All videos are available at

http://z-o-g.org/shadowhearts/shftnw.html

demi

Kuran said:
I've never played a single SH game... am I missing out? I guess I just always missed them, reviews etc... so, should I play SH1&2 as my next PS2 rpg? Convince me! :)

demi likes it

Altermo

maskrider said:
The above ones were already removed, together with the opening.

For those who haven't seen it yet, here is another link to the awesome FMV with Johnny and the unknown guy: http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0EEKGL00ATSUI2QV00ILXN45YE

Also the FMV with Shania after the battle (and several gameplay videos): http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1543

Kuran said:

You should definitely play both Shadow Hearts games.

For me, Shadow Hearts 2 is my favorite RPG this generation (and one of my favorite RPGs of all time, too). It has a great story with many plot-twists and dozens of brillant cut-scences, a fun battle system, it is extremely humorous, has unbelievable charming characters (Yuri with his sarcastic comments... wow!), beautiful graphics, really good voice-acting and a solid music too. Sure, SH2 isn't perfect. In my opinion, the difficulty was way to easy and the music repeats often... but all in all Shadow Hearts 2 is an outstanding RPG that every RPG-Fan MUST play.

For further details, I recommend Bebpo´s review at GameFAQs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/R69557.html

Shadow Hearts 1 is good as well, though not as great as SH2. At least in my opinion. The dark atmosphere, the story and especially the music - excellent. But it's short (ca. 25h), it's easy, the voice-acting and graphics are horrible.

Bebpo

Banned
Hell yes! Really nice intro, game looks hot as ever.

One things that's really impressed me from the playable demo and the trailers is the music. SH1 had one of the best soundtracks in years IMO, then came SH2 which had a solid soundtrack but felt a bit to restrained and too much like a normal rpg score (though tracks like Asteroth still were A+). But the 5 or 6 tracks in the SH3 demo are all pretty freaking strong and all really stick out (boss battle music is probably the weakest of the demo tracks).

It's really looking IMO like SH3 will have a better soundtrack than SH2 and maybe even better than SH1. Also from the demo and the trailers it seems like the game is a mix between the creepy, dark SH1 and the light comedy SH2. All this bodes well for a really good game come the end of July.

But I'll be on vacation when it's out so no impressions/review from me until after Duckroll and everyone else has beat it already ^^;

Bebpo said:
One things that's really impressed me from the playable demo and the trailers is the music. SH1 had one of the best soundtracks in years IMO, then came SH2 which had a solid soundtrack but felt a bit to restrained and too much like a normal rpg score (though tracks like Asteroth still were A+). But the 5 or 6 tracks in the SH3 demo are all pretty freaking strong and all really stick out (boss battle music is probably the weakest of the demo tracks).

Have the composers been confirmed yet? I know SH2 added several new ones (along with Hirota and Mitsuda), but as long as Hirota and Mitsuda are back everything should be cool.

Bebpo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Have the composers been confirmed yet? I know SH2 added several new ones (along with Hirota and Mitsuda), but as long as Hirota and Mitsuda are back everything should be cool.

SH1 = Hirota 80% Mitsuda 20%
SH2 = Hirota 80% Kenji Ito 10% Mitsuda 10%
SH3 = Hirota + not revealed yet. I'd guess at least Mitsuda would be back. Maybe it's Mitsuda+Ito+?+Hirota?

maskrider

The trailer is also on Famitsu Wave DVD, I suppose it is also on Dengeki PS2.

3 Animated GIFs

Other JPEGs (batch 1, due to the limitation of the forum rules)

Altermo

www.shadowhearts.net

10.jpg

(translated into english with http://www.so-net.ne.jp/translation/)

Name: Killer

The serial killer who receives search in the United States. A man as if it symbolized the dark side in the United States which has dyed the body all evil deeds for its pleasure. In Brooklyn, it gets injured and the woman of a mystery saves the place currently surrounded by many policemen. Henceforth, she is called a "lady" and it comes to make action into 供.

09.jpg

Name: Lady

Woman of a mystery who appeared in Brooklyn of night. When he thought whether the figure was shown by chance before the policemen who had followed cruel 犯, the life of all the members who were on that occasion within an instant was claimed away. Not all feeling also dwells in the expression and the language of a word does not fall from the mouth on it, either. What does she consider and for the purpose of what is acting? There are not those who get to know it.

Com' on, guys, reveal their names! I want a confirmation that the red-haired guy is Yuri! :D

maskrider

Man:

Killer - A wanted criminal (a serial killer) in America. Commits crimes for fun, he symbolizes the bad things and the dark side of America. One day, he was seriously injured and surrounded by many policemen in Brooklyn, but was rescued by a mysterious woman. He became her servant afterwards and call her "Lady".

Woman:

Lady - A mysterious woman that suddenly appeared in Brooklyn during the night, she killed all the policemen within seconds before they were able to arrest the killer. There is no emotion on her face, and her mouth will not say a word. No one knows what she is thinking about nor what she wants to accomplish.

Bebpo

Banned
special trailer #1

Containing some new cutscene footage, and bits of new music scattered throughout. Also Johnny's seiyuu looks pretty cool and the girl in this trailer represents everything I hate about exaggerated Japanese reactions.

Music is sooo good, only 6 weeks left!

maskrider

Bebpo said:
special trailer #1

Containing some new cutscene footage, and bits of new music scattered throughout. Also Johnny's seiyuu looks pretty cool and the girl in this trailer represents everything I hate about exaggerated Japanese reactions.

Music is sooo good, only 6 weeks left!

A correction (that I had also confused with), those 2 are not the seiyuu, they are popular Japanese artists (as ninki talent in the page) that (I suppose) were employed to act as Johnny and Shania for the promotion of SH FTNW.

Johnny's seiyuu is Kunihiro Kawamoto, and Shania's is Ryouko Nagata.

Bebpo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Here's the games boxart

B0009MZ1W6.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ooooo

I like!

Much better than the CG art pics they've used around the site.

Also according to the developer diaries up so far the game has more sidequests/bonus dungeons/secrets than SH2 (which had a ton already). Also the lottery and the walking counter are both back in along with some new systems (I wonder if the quizzes from SH2 will come back).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If this comes to the US, my RPG experience for this generation will be complete, between this and Dragon Quest 8, Final Fantasy 12, and Grandia 3... I am a happy RPG gamer!

Altermo

New Trailer (but really short).

http://www.shadowhearts.net/streaming03.html

And several new infos (thanks to tsurara_mai from GameFAQS)

http://www.aragami.org/Shadow_Hearts/shmag8.jpg

It seems that, according to this week's Famitsu, Mao's special event system will have a Hollywood movie theme. In collecting certain items/completing certain events, it looks like Mao will be able to change her costume and upgrade her abilities to parody popular Hollywood films.

Already revealed is the "Terminator" parody, the "Nyaaminator"...

-lady's in-game render
-detail of Shania's fetish system (she uses small statues of animals to transform... "wolf fetsih" is shown... which for some strange reason seems to store the Tatanka fusion
-more about Natan's "UMA Hunt"
-Hilde's "Weekly Arts" (about her transformations)
-New Mao media including an alternate costume modelled after the Terminator titled "The Nyaaminator" ("The Meowminator") and a pic of the "Neko Tower" and its 5 levels.
-Frank's "Secret Message"
-Ricardo's "Ruutsu Item" (Roots Item?) which appears to be an item-centered guitar customization option
-a new pic of Killer using some Uru-esque claws as a weapon.

Bebpo

Banned
Also from the latest diary entry at the official site the game is only 1 dvd this time and the load times will be shorter than SH2.

Kato

1 dvd as in dual layer i presume? And shorter loading times are good, very good.

If only there was news of a publisher for the US version. But I will keep my hopes and dreams.

Bebpo

Banned
Kato said:
1 dvd as in dual layer i presume? And shorter loading times are good, very good.

If only there was news of a publisher for the US version. But I will keep my hopes and dreams.

No, as in single layer :\ So yea, I expect fewer cutscenes and a bit shorter story (SH2 was a good 40-45 hours so I wouldn't be surprised if this was more around 30-35). But on the other hand they've promised more bonus dungeons and sidequests than SH2 and SH2 had like 7 bonus dungeons :) So assuming all the bonus stuff is non-voiced and takes up little space on the disc, it could end up being about the same length as SH2 just with a bit less cutscene driven story and a bit more gameplay non-voiced sub-quest story.

Kato

Bebpo said:
No, as in single layer :\ So yea, I expect fewer cutscenes and a bit shorter story (SH2 was a good 40-45 hours so I wouldn't be surprised if this was more around 30-35). But on the other hand they've promised more bonus dungeons and sidequests than SH2 and SH2 had like 7 bonus dungeons :) So assuming all the bonus stuff is non-voiced and takes up little space on the disc, it could end up being about the same length as SH2 just with a bit less cutscene driven story and a bit more gameplay non-voiced sub-quest story.

You got a point there, less VA and cutscenes and more content is fine by me :)

Top Bottom