• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus IGN preview (New build = better framerate)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/643/643066p1.html

We're happy to report then that the most recent build shown at this year's Leipzig Games Convention is cleaner, crisper and smoother than any we've seen in the past, which leads us to believe Sony and its amazing development team are more than capable of making the constant 30 frames per second goal a reality.

Unfortunately, we didn't have time to check to see if all the improvements remained intact when the demanding colossi appeared on-screen. Some careless jerk who was at the kiosk just before us had led our hero too far from any colossus for us to get back in time and try things out. Those who know of Shadow will understand that the trek alone can take upwards of 20 minutes, which isn't so good in convention time.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Those who know of Shadow will understand that the trek alone can take upwards of 20 minutes, which isn't so good in convention time.

So what do you DO during this time? There are no enemies to fight other than colossi, right? It's not a 20 minute horsey ride, right?

Signed,
Still Concerned About SotC

I don't know if this has been posted, but there's an Ask the Dev Team at the Playstation board

http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...&message.id=380&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

He's been answering some questions. So far he's said the US date is October 18th, and there aren't any enemies other than the Colossus, but there's other stuff to do when you aren't fighting them.

And potentially the new boxart

257136.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In E3 demo you ride the horse, climb the ledges and jump across some cravices. It doesn't take more than 5, definitely less than 10 minutes to reach the first colossus. You can however, ride in a completely opposite direction of where you have to go and look around the scenery. That would definitely add some traveling time back.

I think it was said in the preview that you cannot find/fight enemies in the game other than bosses.

Am I the only one who thinks that kinda sucks?

I think it was said in the preview that you cannot find/fight enemies in the game other than bosses.

1. I think that idea is potentially great (but then again, look at my avatar)

2. There IS something you fight in-between. The translation guy hinted at it. Shadows? :)

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
The framerate is the least of your worries in this game. ;)

The last boss is NUTS. That is all.

I know it's not an RPG..but it would be satisfying to acquire new moves that you could test on enemies at your own will, unlike a boss which is a one-time thing. I thought ICO was great, though. The combat could have been cooler, but, yes, I know that wasn't the focus of the game. :p

Amir0x

Banned
chespace said:

Ok, so overall... super positive, positive, negative, super negative toward the game?

chespace

Amir0x said:
Ok, so overall... super positive, positive, negative, super negative toward the game?

From what I've played and seen, super positive. If you love art direction, ambience, and cinematic epicness as much as you do gameplay, then you'll dig this game. I mean, let's face it, this ain't fucking Ninja Gaiden and DMC3. The gameplay isn't old-school twitch, nor is it super complicated, but it is FUN, and it makes you feel bad ass and a little sad too.

If you enjoy Ico, Panzer Dragoon, etc., just fucking buy the thing.

chespace said:

Popular game journos with preview builds making cryptic GAF cameos are no fun!

edit- Oops didnt see last post. Much better Mr. Chou, thanks. :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
chespace said:

Wait a sec. You got the WHOLE game already?
If so, is the pop up still as bad as in those videos?

Ranger X

Propagandhim said:

What about that pic where we see something like a mini-collosus in it??

Amir0x

Banned
chespace said:
From what I've played and seen, super positive. If you love art direction, ambience, and cinematic epicness as much as you do gameplay, then you'll dig this game. I mean, let's face it, this ain't fucking Ninja Gaiden and DMC3. The gameplay isn't old-school twitch, nor is it super complicated, but it is FUN, and it makes you feel bad ass and a little sad too.

The one part I am a little skeptical of are the in-between boss bits where you and your trusty steed are running around the open plains (which are surprisingly massive and very...well, open). The problem there is that I just don't see a whole lot to do, even though it all looks and moves very nicely. A bit like Wind Waker, now that I think about it.

Already pre-ordered! I'm just happy to hear it's good, especially for the intended audience, because there was a lot of shakiness from the media about it recently. Especially the last issue of OPM, and they were like "We have to admit, we're really worried about the game."

Anyway, cool. Thanks for the answer.

TTP said:
Wait a sec. You got the WHOLE game already?

OPM has an exclusive Shadow review, supposedly.

ICO is my #1 Game of All Time. This post makes me realize that SotC may just surpass it.

chespace

The one part I am a little skeptical of are the in-between boss bits where you and your trusty steed are running around the open plains (which are surprisingly massive and very...well, open). The problem there is that I just don't see a whole lot to do, even though it all looks and moves very nicely. A bit like Wind Waker, now that I think about it.

Amir0x

Banned
chespace said:

Ha, you edited it in, I responded to it with an edited statement, then you edited out again.

Ok, I'll repost.

Ugh about the roaming thing, I really got annoyed by that in Wind Waker early on. One of the things that turned me away from it. Sounds pretty cool, I hope the things to find around the world fill up some room...

It will be interesting to see what an effect that will have on the pacing of the game, and how many little things there will be to discover in those wide open areas.

Don't you feel that the designers of the game did this kind of thing on purpose though? The feeling of isolation, at being inconsequential to your environment, and having those moments of introspection seems to be a hallmark of their game design.

Some will attack it as artificial game lengthening (probably even some reviewers) but it seems deliberately designed that way to enhance the story and feel of the game to me.

hey che please answer these questions!:

Can you jump off the cliffs with your horse?

How are the load times?

Invincible walls prevent you from exploring the world?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
chespace said:

Hugs Chespace, the bringer of good news.

btutterrow said:
Don't you feel that the designers of the game did this kind of thing on purpose though? The feeling of isolation, at being inconsequential to your environment, and having those moments of introspection seems to be a hallmark of their game design.
So true. I could go around many locations in Ico for several minutes just looking at things and admiring the view. Still, in Ico you often had to run away or fight so that kept you on the tiptoes. There were also various puzzles, I wonder how much of that is there in SotC.

OB1 said:
You can't jump off cliffs with your horse.

shit that sucks it could have been really funny. I remember you could let go of Yorda and let her fall to her death in ico.

Marconelly said:
Hugs Chespace, the bringer of good news
:lol

I don't any more impression! I want the damn game >_<

There were also various puzzles, I wonder how much of that is there in SotC.

According to the guy from SCEA, there are various minor puzzles around the landscape just to get to the Collossi, but the the real puzzles are how to defeat the giants once they are awakened. The Collossi ARE the main levels of the game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I don't mind the lack of enemies really, in fact I wish the PoP games would ditch the bad guys and go for pure environmental hazards.

Doom_Bringer said:
I remember you could let go or Yorda and let her fall to her death in ico.

:lol I loved that, and I'm one of those weirdos who drives carefully and murder-free in GTA. It was great making someone watch too, because it's something you just completely wouldn't expect to happen. I think they took it out of the newer copies or something, because you can't do it in the version I have now. :(!

God, I can't wait for SotC. I had a feeling that the last boss would be crazy, because just the collossi already shown in media blows away most other bosses. And since there's no girl in a night gown to drag around, there won't be any attachment issues, THUS guaranteeing that there won't be icky, psychotic fans for it. Hopefully.

kenta

Has no PEINS
SolidSnakex said:
And potentially the new boxart

257136.jpg
This is what I was shown to be the new box art, which looks much more polished and official:

sotc-boxart.jpg

Only strange thing is the NTSC/J label and the ESRB rating. Don't know if that's a fluke or the sign of a fake, but it looks way too good to be a fake imo.

Ironclad

No demo at any of my local places. :(

Still, the game looks great and from what che has said, I only want it more now. Damn, I can't wait.

jett said:
You could make Yorda fall to her doom in ICO? HOW?

It's pretty easy. You know how you have to call, catch and pull her to make her jump/cross ledges etc? While she's making the jump simply let go of the R1(?)/pull button to make her fall to her doom

I thout it was pretty hilarious. Jumping from a cliff with a horse would have been much better :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You could make Yorda fall to her doom in ICO? HOW?
You could also, on a rare ocasion, swing her around while you are holding her hand, so she would fall down from the ledge.

And since there's no girl in a night gown to drag around, there won't be any attachment issues, THUS guaranteeing that there won't be icky, psychotic fans for it. Hopefully.
Herecy. I wonder why you played Ico if not for it's finer points :( In any case, you could be disappointed, as I've understood from the Play interview that a horse could be the subject of attachment in this game. It's supposed to be much more than a simple vehicle.

First(?) review score for SotC:

Blender - 2/5
Is that for real? I've read that on some forum already, but first of all, what is "Blender", and second, how could have they reviewed the game when it has not been made yet in the time for that review?

kenta

Has no PEINS
Marconelly said:
Is that for real? I've read that on some forum already, but first of all, what is "Blender", and second, how could have they reviewed the game when it has not been made yet in the time for that review?
Blender is a men's magazine, like a Playboy Lite. I'm guessing it's either fake or the reviewers didn't "get" SotC and expect all video games to be action packed rip-offs of GTA.

Doom_Bringer said:
what about texture pop ins?

According to the answer I got, they are in the code optimization stage right now.
I guess that translates to... "Yeah, there are still pop ins but we are going to try and fix what we can."

Top Bottom