• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior 2 (PC) free on GOG right now

Fbh

header_BitakC1-460x215.jpg

So just a heads up.
GOG has a 10 years anniversary event going on and they let people vote which game they wanted to be given away for free. Vote was between Firewatch, SuperHot and Shadow Warrior 2.
Shadow Warrior won so for the next 48 hrs you can grab it for free: https://www.gog.com/game/shadow_warrior_2

The other 2 games are on sale: FireWatch is $2.28 and Superhot is $5.66

There's some other good sales too, like a few bundles which already got their own thread
Also Hollow Knight is less than $5. Seriously, if you have any appreciation for Metroidvania style games these are probably some of the best $5 you'll spend this year

Last edited:

manfestival

But PC gaming is so much more expensive than console gaming. How could I ever afford it?

*proceeds to pay $10+ more for every game release, ever*

:messenger_expressionless:
I mean... the initial entry is fairly. Especially if you want a decent gaming rig. Been PC gaming for 20 years now and it has never gotten any easier. In fact, it has gotten more expensive thanks to Nvidia bumping up the bar the past couple generations.

Fbh

But PC gaming is so much more expensive than console gaming. How could I ever afford it?

I mean, sure, if you buy every game at launch, and don't buy physical, and don't resell or trade in the stuff you don't use.
But aside from the larger number of free giveaways I'd say consoles have done a good job catching up with PC in terms of price. Right now it has reached the point where I'm starting to not see the point in buying games at launch since 2 months later they are already like $35 ...even on consoles (except for Rockstar and specially Nintendo games which stay at full price for a long time)

I used to hear about these legendary Steam sales where everything was supposedly so super cheap but having only gotten into PC gaming like a year and half ago, they don't seem any better than your average PSN sale

Ace - I voted for this one. Enjoyed the first but never picked up the second.

Same.

I love the first but then I read they would be using procedurally generated levels for the sequel and they lost me.
Still, for free I'll totally give it a chance

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
I mean, sure, if you buy every game at launch, and don't by physical, and don't resell or trade in the stuff you don't use.
But aside from the larger number of free giveaways I'd say consoles have done a good job catching up with PC in terms of price. Right now it has reached the point where I'm starting to not see the point in buying games at launch since 2 months later they are already like $35 ...even on consoles (except for Rockstar and specially Nintendo games which stay at full price for a long time)

I used to hear about these legendary Steam sales where everything was supposedly so super cheap but having only gotten into PC gaming like a year and half ago, they don't seem any better than your average PSN sale

I agree that Steam sales were always overrated. It's more that, like you said, if you're willing to not buy on the exact launch day you seem to get every game for like half off whereas console games seem to hold their price longer. There are a lot of games that ship for $50 on the PC, though, that are $60 on consoles.

Vlaphor

This was the only one of the three games that I didn't have, so awesome that it got voted in.

I'm willing to bet a bunch of people voted it in for the same reason.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

*Proceeds to ignore most console games drop in prices in mere months and usually end up in 30-40 buck range through sellers as CEX*

This is cool stuff though.

I was hoping Superhot would win, but Shadow Warrior was my second pick. Glad it wasn't Firewatch.

Trying to decide if I want Battle Chasers or that Owlboy bundle. I already have Dragon Age. I don't know much about Battle Chasers.

120v

game is so underrated. if you have the faintest interest in oldschool shooters get in on it

it'd be my game of the gen hands down but the crafting/loot system is a little half baked. still though my perfect 'comfort food' game i can pick up at any time

Sentenza

*Proceeds to ignore most console games drop in prices in mere months and usually end up in 30-40 buck range through sellers as CEX*
^
*Proceeds to ignore how the exact same happens on PC as well, except prices start lower to begin with and drop even more.*

Last edited:

brap

Banned

Expensive for games that aren't dogshit. Plus this game came out a few years ago. :messenger_expressionless:

Unfortunately with dominant position of digital stores on PC and with death of boxed pc games that's no longer true in Europe. I can find most of console games in 50-60 euro range on the disk which can be resold later and with pc I have zero choice outside of buying it full price for 60/70 euros.

Most recent example - I payed 209 PLN for boxed PS4 version of VC4 - pc version costed 249 for something that gives much less value and should be cheaper.

GreenAlien

There are also some nice (Amazon) Twitch prime games this month.

Darksiders Warmastered Edition
Sanitarium
SOMA
System Shock: Enhanced Edition

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
^
*Proceeds to ignore how the exact same happens on PC as well, except prices start lower to begin with and drop even more.*
Purely looking at CEX that ain't the case.

Just know what you are defending here.

Last edited:

badblue

I was hoping Superhot would win, but Shadow Warrior was my second pick. Glad it wasn't Firewatch.

Trying to decide if I want Battle Chasers or that Owlboy bundle. I already have Dragon Age. I don't know much about Battle Chasers.

I bought the Battlechasers bundle, even though I already owned battle chasers. $32 Canadian for both Shadow Tactics and Kingdom Come: Deliverance felt like a steal since both games are more then that alone.

Battle Chasers is fun though.

Jae Mara

Nice, voted for it. Unfortunately it's sending me on an eternal loop of not claiming it on my phone. I'll hope to remember in work later.

bigace33

Battle chasers is solid all the way up until the end and then there is a difficulty spike that completely ruined my experience. Not a bad game, but not great.

Awesome of GOG to give SW2 as a free game.

Fbh

So, Firewatch worth it for a bit over $2?

I'm not the biggest walking simulator fan but I do enjoy them when the plot and art direction are on point. I remember being hyped about it but then the console version (when I only had a console) had framerate issues and I read people saying the plot wasn't nearly as interesting as the trailer made it seem, so I never picked it up.

For reference I liked the Vanishing of Ethan Carter and What Remains of Edith Finch but I didn't like Gone Home or anything by The Chinese Room

The battle chasers bundle definitely seems to give you the best value for your money. I mean, $25 is already lower than any price I've seen for Kingdom Come as a standalone game (from a reputable site at least).

You can also just pick up Owlboy for $6.80 if you don't care about the other games in the bundle

Last edited:

ROMhack

So, Firewatch worth it for a bit over $2?

I'm not the biggest walking simulator fan but I do enjoy them when the plot and art direction are on point. I remember being hyped about it but then the console version (when I only had a console) had framerate issues and I read people saying the plot wasn't nearly as interesting as the trailer made it seem, so I never picked it up.

For reference I liked the Vanishing of Ethan Carter and What Remains of Edith Finch but I didn't like Gone Home or anything by The Chinese Room

The battle chasers bundle definitely seems to give you the best value for your money. I mean, $25 is already lower than any price I've seen for Kingdom Come as a standalone game (from a reputable site at least).

You can also just pick up Owlboy for $6.80 if you don't care about the other games in the bundle

I don't think you'll like Firewatch then because it matches similar sensibilities to Gone Home.

My outstanding criticism of the game is that the age of the characters feels too old for the life lessons the developers seem to want to impart towards them. It's a lot like Gone Home in that it feels like it was more a millennial mindset. I wouldn't say that about either Ethan Carter or Edith Finch.

Last edited:

manfestival

finally got around to playing this... this might be the funniest game I have played. thank you to gog.com for this awesome experience

Top Bottom