• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 3 |OT| - THE Source for Fiction’s Cheekbone Fetish

I hope that the Special isn't entirely devoted to the Victorian stuff.

As much as I enjoy a bit of Victoriana in my Holmes, and as interesting a gimmick as it will be to see Cumberbatch, Freeman and Co. in those roles, I'm kinda invested in the modern day plot.

I hope that the Special isn't entirely devoted to the Victorian stuff.

As much as I enjoy a bit of Victoriana in my Holmes, and as interesting a gimmick as it will be to see Cumberbatch, Freeman and Co. in those roles, I'm kinda invested in the modern day plot.

To be honest, I'm glad that they seem to be gung-ho about the Victorian setting. If story runs parallel with the modern setting in the latter half of the special, that's fine but if it's all Victorian, then that's fine too.

I mean, yes, I can just watch the Granada version for my fix, but there's something awesome about seeing the modern cast in the Victorian garb that's just really cool.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Didn't Gatiss already say the special was going to tackle (and resolve?) the Moriarty cliffhanger?

did he? eh, I hope they will resolve it in a more satisfactory way than S2's cliffhanger

can't wait for the special, looks glorious. Hopefully S4 will improve on S3, which left me very disappointed

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Searched but couldn't see if already posted. https://www.facebook.com/Sherlock.B...3565280410742/618518834915382/?type=1&theater

"The stars were shining coldly in a cloudless sky..." Here’s a new set pic from the #Sherlock special, courtesy of director Douglas Mackinnon. Excited?

10922640_618518834915382_4175595586658376268_n.jpg

The quotes in those Tweets from Mackinnon and Gatiss are taken from The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, a Holmes story that's set at Christmas, so I'd be very surprised if they weren't adapting it.

In other news, Freeman and Abbington have been seen filming modern-day material, in their outfits from the end of His Last Vow. Guess we can say that we're getting some Moriarty stuff, even if we don't know how everything fits together.

I often take my daughter to the site, though we've never been present during filming. One of her proudest photographs is a snap I took of her smiling happily at the stand-in site outside Speedy's, which is an actual cafe just off the busy Euston Road.

The property that is used in the series has a blue plaque outside because Mazzini lived there during the first three years of his London exile.

I often have two trains of thought regarding setlock itself... On one hand, I love seeing photos of the locations, costumes being used and props that have been taken by setlockers. On the other hand, I don't like how paparazzi-like setlock can be, particularly when the actors are present.

I don't doubt that probably 99% of setlock are very respectful and they often will maintain the secrecy of the stuff they've seen from the sets. Then again, there's always that 1% that feels the need to break the secrecy because they want to be "first".

For the most part, I'd love to be present while they're filming but I'd never try to interfere with the actors unless they've decided to stop by and interact with the fans for a short bit of time.

Gatiss tweets something vague...

This is...interesting. I have a feeling I know what story he's referring to, and it's definitely NOT the one rumored for the Christmas special.

Maybe they ARE filming S4 this year after all.

Tumblr was going nuts (as was my friend last night) over that tweet. Will we see more about those infamous gingers? Who knows but regardless, I'm going to enjoy everything about this special wholly.

DP but I just got this email from SHERLOCKED:

Hi everyone,

We said that as soon as things started to come together we would let you know, and it’s looking like we’re going to be able to give you the date and first guest announcements for Sherlocked in the next 7 to 10 days!

We are in talks with some of the headline cast; they are in town and we are just about to finalise their agreements to attend. We have also managed to secure a venue for the date we are looking at, and we are about to finalise that too! It’s all very close to us being able to announce what we have been planning for a long while now.

We promise that as soon as we have everything signed off we will go live with the website and tickets, and be able to offer you an amazing weekend with the cast of Sherlock in London!

To give you as much warning as possible, the event date is likely to be around the end of April this year. We do not advise anyone to book travel or hotels until this is all official but we did want to give you as much lead in time as we can.

Thank you all for your patience and we are very much looking forward to letting you know everything we have planned for you!

Take care,

Jason, Mark & everyone at Sherlocked :)

So hey, guess they didn't forget about this con...

royalan

They said that S4 will shoot this year in November:

KMleHZQ.png

And I haven't heard anything else on that matter since.

This is disappointing :(
Although, I could have sworn I saw a quote from Gatiss somewhere saying that filming would def start for S4 later this year. Oh well...:(

I guess the silver lining is that they confirmed that the Christmas special isn't a stand-alone episode, and that it directly follows and addresses the cliffhanger from His Last Vow. At least that'll give us something to nibble on...

Right so the SHERLOCKED Con announced their date and it's gonna be a bit crazy...

According to the email I received, they've selected April 24-26th, 2015 as con dates which means a stacked weekend for those who might be interested in watching the London Marathon this year as well.

The con will be held at the ExCeL London while tickets and more announcements will go live on Feb. 9th at 7:30pm GMT.

Right so the SHERLOCKED Con announced their date and it's gonna be a bit crazy...

According to the email I received, they've selected April 24-26th, 2015 as con dates which means a stacked weekend for those who might be interested in watching the London Marathon this year as well.

The con will be held at the ExCeL London while tickets and more announcements will go live on Feb. 9th at 7:30pm GMT.

Did they confirm which cast members are attending?

Did they confirm which cast members are attending?

Nothing yet. I'll probably find out on Monday once tickets go up for sale.

I'd love to go but right now, it seems like London may be a total cluster considering the timeframe they chose. I'm hoping they stick to the original plan and announce a US date soonish...

Sherlocked site is up and I'm amused that the £2995 VIP package is sold out (edit, wait it's up again lol)... The website itself has imploded a few times since it put up so be patient if you want to look through it.

Sherlocked

For those of us in the US, Sherlocked US is still on the table and details will be had this year but I'm praying it'll be more organized than the London one seems to be...

berzeli

Banned
Hold on, S4 is seriously in 2017? I'll be fucking dead by then.

Where did you hear this?
Filming end of this year, likely Christmas 2016/new years 2017.

Is that turnaround from filming to air really a year? Jesus. It's only three episodes!

Turnaround most assuredly won't be over a year unless there are some outer influences (e.g. the Marvel-thingy Benedict is shooting) that are affecting the production. Series 3 started filming in March 2013 and aired in January 2014 for reference.

Also Mark Gatiss is teasing/trolling on twitter again (but then again, sky is blue, water is wet, vaccines don't cause autism, etc.)

7VvWpkZ.png

It wouldn't HAVE to be a year's turnaround, but Sherlock's worked so well over the New Year in the past that they'll probably just keep it on the shelf until then anyway.

jett

D-Member
Fiction am cry

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni58292632

And just like that, Benedict Cumberbatch is officially off the market. Less than a year after first going public as a couple, the Oscar-nominated British actor married theater director Sophie Hunter in a private ceremony on the Isle of Wight in England, surrounded by close friends and family, on Saturday, according to the U.K. newspaper The Telegraph.

Currygan

Where did you hear this?

Turnaround most assuredly won't be over a year unless there are some outer influences (e.g. the Marvel-thingy Benedict is shooting) that are affecting the production. Series 3 started filming in March 2013 and aired in January 2014 for reference.

Also Mark Gatiss is teasing/trolling on twitter again (but then again, sky is blue, water is wet, vaccines don't cause autism, etc.)

7VvWpkZ.png

ACD's resting place? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN

Dvr'd Cumberbatch on Jimmy Kimmel, watching now, mentioned Sherlock special being for Christmas.

Pretty sure that was confirmed a couple of times but more confirmations don't hurt.

Anyways, a friend of mine is going to be performing some Sherlock-related songs at a media mixer on Sunday afternoon. Should be fun but I'm debating on what time I should leave my house for it...

berzeli

Banned
EW posted an interview with Moffat about Sherlock a couple of days ago which is equal parts interesting and frustrating (so par for the course when it comes to these things). It does however seemingly confirm that series 4 won't air for a while.

It includes:
Vague hints about (wait for it) a thing:
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So, what do you feel comfortable telling us about season 4—or “series” 4, as it’s called in the U.K.?
STEVEN MOFFAT: There are answers coming to questions which nobody has asked. There’s one thing that no one has really brought up…

Can you say what the question is?
No. We’ve actually set up something, I think—[co-creator Mark Gatiss] and me, we’re very exultant about a little thing we’ve set up that no one is talking about.

Vague hints about series 4:
What distinguishes season 4 from previous years?
We haven’t started writing it yet, so it’s early. The first series was all about the beginning of their friendship. Second about the formative stages, the love and fear and loss and all that. The third was good days, me and my pal and my pal’s wife. Those are golden days. The missing element in a lot of Sherlock Holmes adaptations is allowing it to be funny. There’s a lot of humor in Sherlock Holmes, and it’s ignored in a lot of adaptations. [Season 4] is going to be… I suppose you’d say… consequences. It’s consequences. Chickens come to roost. It’s dark in some ways—obviously it’s great fun and a Sherlock Holmes romp and all that—but there’s a sense of… things… coming back to bite you. It’s not a safe, sensible way to live. It’s hilarious and exhilarating some days, but some days it’s going to be bloody frightening.

Moffat being correct:
Last year the distribution window between Britain and U.S. premiere of Sherlock was shortened, but there was still a bit of a gap. Recently HBO announced that Game of Thrones will premiere simultaneously in 130 countries. You would think Sherlock could premiere simultaneously in two countries, right?
I really, really do think it should. I think it’s absolute bloody nonsense. The audience is not prepared to wait. [Somebody] recently said, “If I want something and it’s not available, I think it’s the vendor’s fault.” With Doctor Who we pretty much have that—certainly with Britain and America, it comes out the same day. Doing that ended an awful lot of the piracy. Yes, it should be. But that’s a question for PBS and Masterpiece.

And as a bonus Moffat giving compliments to Fiction:
What’s the best or funniest piece of Sherlock fan fiction or fan art you’ve seen?
I don’t know the funniest. There’s been some eye-watering stuff of Benedict and Martin together. A load of it has been superb. There’s a tendency to disparage it. I don’t agree. Even the slash fiction, that’s a great way to learn to work. No one really does three-act structure, but just trying to put words that make somebody else turned on, that’s going to teach you more about writing than any writing college you can go to. It’s creative and exciting. I refuse to mock it—because I’m a man who writes Sherlock Holmes fan fiction for a living!
(emphasis mine)

Go read the entire thing.

Currygan

EW posted an interview with Moffat about Sherlock a couple of days ago which is equal parts interesting and frustrating (so par for the course when it comes to these things). It does however seemingly confirm that series 4 won't air for a while.

It includes:
Vague hints about (wait for it) a thing:

Vague hints about series 4:

Moffat being correct:

And as a bonus Moffat giving compliments to Fiction:

(emphasis mine)

Go read the entire thing.

eh, I wish they tone down the humour in S4. Like, a lot. S3 was sometimes really cringey with all the self-referentiality

Eh, it's March and they know where they're going. It even sounds like they've broken the episodes. I bet they're filming at the end of this year and we get them in 2016 in time for Christmas (at which time everyone will OD on Benedict, with Dr. Strange releasing at the same time).

Top Bottom