• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto reiterates more Nintendo movies are coming

DKC era DK is a good one for the cast.

It would flop but I would love a Starfox done with puppets. Like this advert:

Last edited:
I’d rather not have Hollywood attach itself parasitically to Nintendo.
Hollywood will influence Nintendo (for the worse) infinitely more than Nintendo will influence Hollywood.

RCU005

I feel like they should look for studios that fit the style of the franchise they want to make.

They should mostly stick to animated style, and not be afraid of making 2D animation.

Live action movies should be reserved only for Metroid. I guess they don’t have any franchise that would work with live actors, not even Zelda.

GMCamaro

wild GIF

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Aliens is basically a Metroid movie already... copy that, job done.
Metroid was inspired by Alien so that's a no brainer.

---------------------

Saw the movie yesterday. It was very good. Simple story with great pacing. I could see them making a Mario game out of it too. They even put Satoru Iwata in the credits. Was very impressed.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Star Fox could be incredible, it doesn't need to use any other Nintendo characters and can stand on its own.
It should be like a CGI episode 4.

Zelda is likely the next biggest franchise so that’s a safe bet.

Personally I’d like to see Metroid, but I don’t think Nintendo would do it proper. It would have to be fairly dark to be done right imo.

another Mario movie next im guessing, live action zelda and Metroid could be good if done correctly. Big risk tho. Nintendo don’t really have a lot of IPs that will translate to motion picture very Well, they should probably just stick to gaming.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

another Mario movie next im guessing, live action zelda and Metroid could be good if done correctly. Big risk tho. Nintendo don’t really have a lot of IPs that will translate to motion picture very Well, they should probably just stick to gaming.

Agreed, the heavy hitters are going to come first... Marvel didn't boot up their GOTG movie or Moon Knight series after Iron Man was a hit, after all.

I'd be putting money on a Mario sequel, and then something like a Zelda. Or Pokemon. Or get Seth Rogan back and do a Donkey Kong (Country?) movie, maybe.

Star Fox, Pikmin, some other stuff people are saying in here... no one knows or cares what any of that is. Mario and Zelda and Pokemon, everyone knows what that is. So I'd imagine it's going to take awhile for them to work their way down to IPs like those.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Isn't Miyamoto the guy who hates story in his games? Funny for him to be the one announcing this. Will they have Link talk in the movies?

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking to Japanese press ahead of the movie’s debut in Nintendo’s home country, Mario creator Miyamoto discussed its performance and the reception from critics, which he acknowledged had been mixed.

“I did have a level of expectations that this movie would also do well [like the Super Nintendo World theme park], but I was very surprised that it went beyond what I could have imagined when it finally came out,” he said, translated by VGC contributor Robert Sephazon.

“You need some luck to achieve this level of success for a film,” he added. “While many foreign critics have given the movie relatively low ratings, I think that also contributed to the movie’s notoriety and buzz.

“I’d be happy if viewers could say that the definition of what a movie is has changed because of this film. That just shows how lucky we were.”

Earlier in the press junket, Miyamoto revealed that the Japanese version of the Mario Bros. Movie wasn’t a straight translation of the US version. Rather, Nintendo had handled the Japanese script independently.

According to Miyamoto, this was in order to create a more engaging film for Nintendo’s home audience, rather than something that would be “awkward” when compared to the US version created by Illumination.

“Since we were creating this movie in both Japan and the United States, we thought we should make a Japanese version as well,” the creative fellow told assembled press.

“What I often say is that in games, we should value stories that are ‘like real stories, even though they’re not.’ They’re completely fictional, but I think they seem almost real because there’s some element of reality in them. This is true for dramas as well. When I see that the most important part, which is making it seem ‘like a real story’ is done carelessly, I feel disappointed.

“So when we decided to make this movie, we discussed creating a unique Japanese script from the beginning. Even if we were shown an English script, it would be hard to understand the subtle nuances.”

Miyamoto revealed that over the past decade, he’s developed an interest in TV morning drama shows in Japan, and developed a reputation internally for critiquing them.

“At Nintendo, I have the joke title of ‘NHK Morning Drama Critic’,” he said, referencing the national broadcasting company in Japan. “I check morning dramas every day and provide various critiques. Sometimes I’ll praise them as being fantastic, and other times I’ll point out their shortcomings.

“Gradually, I’ve become more outspoken, and even my wife has told me, ‘I don’t want to hear it, go talk about it somewhere else.” [laughs] Over the past 10 or 20 years of doing this, I’ve developed an interest in creating dramas.

“I find that morning dramas often have lively dialogue. Directors who emphasise ad-libs tend to create more engaging content overall. When a director or cinematographer is on set and says, ‘Okay, that’s a wrap!’ I often think, ‘I can’t believe they approved this line.’ I realised that lively conversations are crucial in creating dramas.”

He added: “For this Japanese version, we wanted to create a script that wouldn’t be awkward when compared to Chris’s [the director] version, so we were involved in various ways up until the voice recording. Basically, over the past decade or so, I’ve been quite conscious of creating dramas in my daily life.”

Top Bottom