• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto Didn’t Like Elephant Mario’s Original Design in Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Draugoth

Gold Member
06c78e1e25a07a52efea8e11275734a5.jpg

Director Shiro Mouri and producer Takashi Tezuka gave an honest, insightful answer into Miyamoto’s role in the process. “With Wonder in particular, it wasn’t like Mr. Miyamoto was in our hip pocket during this whole time whispering in our ears or anything like that,” Tezuka said.

“Sometimes he would come by where we are working and look at things and give some opinions. He would generally observe things and make comments here and there, and even things that didn’t seem like they were big comments – I have worked with Mr. Miyamoto for a long time and really understand him, so I was able to get what he was implying or getting to and we would have conversations around those sorts of topics.”

“He did have a comment about Elephant Mario,”

Mouri-san interjected, referencing one of the new forms Mario can take in Wonder.

“It was a phase where we still had tentative visuals for Elephant Mario, and we had plans to adjust the visuals already, but he had come and taken a look before that and he gave us the sharp comment that ‘This doesn’t look like a Mario character.’ Along the same topics, there was the idea of how Elephant Mario sprays water, he came and said that if an elephant was actually spraying water, it wouldn’t move that way, and that was an example of feedback he gave us.”

Fake

I kinda agree with Miyamoto. For a 2D plataform perspective, elephant don't bring much to the mobility or the ability to jump higher. They should pursuit other animal than an elepant.

Last edited:

Hudo

I kinda agree with Miyamoto. For a 2D plataform pespective, Elehant don't bring much to the mobility or the ability to jump higher. They should pursuit other animal than an elepant.
Maybe a Mario in a fireman costume would've been an alternative. And he would have a small water tank on his back (that is see-through for gameplay purposes, so the player can get a feel of the current filling state) and a small hose that Mario has in his hands to shoot some water. But I refuse to believe that they didn't have that idea as well.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm gonna risk a guess and say it doesn't have to do with Mario or Luigi as they could disguise in any monstruocity and won't bother people. Its probably because he think people would find weird and triggered to see both Peach and Daisy as elephants.

Astral Dog

I'm gonna risk a guess and say it doesn't have to do with Mario or Luigi as they could disguise in any monstruocity and won't bother people. Its probably because he think people would find weird and triggered to see both Peach and Daisy as elephants.
Elephant princess Peach looks flawless🐘👑🍑

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Elephant princess Peach looks flawless

Both her and Daisy look remarkable for elephants. But this is already the end result.
I'm talking about the initial reaction, at the start of the project he probably had his doubts about both of princess becoming elephants

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Someone should have asked him about he bell /cat form. I guess that shows more of Mario’s face than the Elephant. That completely takes over his form. You can’t blame Odyssey because everything gets Mario-fied.

Robb

Gold Member
What a tease. Now I want to know what the design he dismissed looked like.

The elephant form is strange though, mainly because it’s not a costume but an actual transformation.

Last edited:
I wish he'd be upset about the whole art style in general. I really desire to see a return of the 80's/90s aesthetic, I really hate the clean/soft "new" SMB look which is similar to this for me. Either way, I'll be buying it to play with my daughter.

Top Bottom