• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V |OT| Persona heartless version.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
To me that’s entirely depend on how experience you are with SMT games, I think most experienced SMT players won’t have much problem in normal difficulty.
I own every SMT except maybe a couple obscure titles in the franchise. I just wonder if they’ve made it a bit rounded around the edges. A lot like how DQIX was probably easier than most DQ games cause maybe it was suppose to get new players.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Awesome to hear. Do you think it would not be challenging enough on Normal difficulty? Is normal easier than usual?
Haven't tried on normal, but I guess it must be just fine since on hard the enemies have a little bit too much health and pack one hell of a punch, dealing far more damage than your demons.

Is it english voice only or have option for japanese voice
Only english, jap voices free dlc won't be available until the 11th.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
These OST clips have my nipples hard
L7n0Uz5oBDc8pRnNQZaZ0vlOtPhLhbM26dA7ADA530L5tw6qhN97i7swxFZ82CLqc7r0CYV6yYr_a5yu-AQtwRMXs7LdHOvdKG6OUOGVxFA_0G7t9Jgc1Zx9ZpCUBPvG6nj3iNW-8xwaXyI

Dream-Knife

Banned
My premium version from Gamestop still says "awaiting inventory".

Oddly enough it doesn't show up under orders, I can only see it if I follow the email from June.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You are actively make my wait very painful.
78tc.gif
Haha sorry man. I don't think I'll speak much more about since I think going further would be entering spoiler territory.

One last thing is is that I'm liking the new buff mechanics a lot, makes the bosses much better (and harder) than before.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Okay this is one cool ass commercial for SMTV.

This is good news, as much as I enjoyed Nocturne, the buffs/debuffs was kind of broken and you could easily abuse it.

Its accurate that they showed SMT, because I refuse to believe any japanese kids actually beat the NES Megami Tensei games. Its just literally not possible.

nikos

I was able to try this game for about 30 minutes the other day. Story was immediately engaging. Soundtrack was really good from the beginning. There are mulitple difficulty settings ranging from casual to hard. Graphics in handheld were sub-native res, but cutscenes looked good.

Preordered the steelbook even though I buy just about everything digital these days. This will be my first real SMT experience outside of briefly playing the mobile game. Excited for it.

Last edited:
also not played a SMT game before. V will be my first. Have only played the Persona games. I’m not expecting this to be a Persona game Which many people are it seems.

Danjin44

Never played this series before. What kind of JRPG is it?
Its turned based RPG with capturing monster mechanics. SMT is the main series while games like Persona and Digital Devil Saga are spinoffs. Unlike games like Persona 3-5, SMT has no S.link and it much more focus on exploration and combat. It has story but it's less character driven and much more world driven and based on your choices in the story you will see what characters you end up killing and what bosses you end up fighting.

Biggest thing about SMT are vastly much tougher than most JRPGs out there.

also not played a SMT game before. V will be my first. Have only played the Persona games. I’m not expecting this to be a Persona game Which many people are it seems.
If this is your first SMT, I recommend you start with normal difficulty, don't go with hard. Persona's Once More system vastly more forgiving than proper Press Turn in SMT.

Last edited:

N30RYU

I got my copy early (yesterday and I have already put 8h on it) and the game is quite hard... some story bosses are kicking my ass very very hard... (like the one from Danjin44 avatar...)

It's all about choosing the right resistant demons for the boss element attacks... not even getting the ones that can xploit it's weakneses... but the ones that can resist it's attacks and make them attack just once per turn instead of multiple times

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
First boss down on hard. That was a 25 minutes fight were I used all my chakra drops and had to revive some demons during the fight. Tense stuff.

. . .they still have the laziest implementation of difficulty it is sounding like. Will still be playing but I wish developers would put more effort into their difficulty settings. I'm not suggesting they go full OWLCAT or OBSIDIAN, but static number increases are just obnoxious.

TintoConCasera

. . .they still have the laziest implementation of difficulty it is sounding like. Will still be playing but I wish developers would put more effort into their difficulty settings. I'm not suggesting they go full OWLCAT or OBSIDIAN, but static number increases are just obnoxious.
Nah, I think having too many options would fuck up the balance and it also would be too much to ask for the user. Normal or Hard, at least for those kinda games, is enough imho.

At least this one keeps being hard later on. I'm like 22 hours in and some random battle can still fuck me up if I don't play carefully.

It unlocks for NA tonight, right? I have been checking for the unlock every night before bed just in case lol. First thing I do when I get home from work today is check! The wait is getting too much. I dunno how you guys can wait for physical. I go digital for my most anticipated games.

TintoConCasera

I would recommend anyone familiar with the series to start on Hard. It's very hard at the beggining but later on it feels just right.

OST "has no heart" :pie_roffles:

OST is amazing, coming from SMT IV I had high expectations and so far it's delivering.

It has lots (tons) of battle themes. There are one or maybe I don't like very much but the rest are awesome. And the exploration themes don't fall behind, they have that apocaliptic/sci-fy vibe that's just a pleasure to listen to.

Danjin44

I would recommend anyone familiar with the series to start on Hard. It's very hard at the beggining but later on it feels just right.
Yeah, I’m definitely gonna play it on hard from get go, just like I did with most SMT games.

I’m glad the 5th game has hard mode unlocked from the beginning unlike SMTIV.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned

OST is amazing, coming from SMT IV I had high expectations and so far it's delivering.

It has lots (tons) of battle themes. There are one or maybe I don't like very much but the rest are awesome. And the exploration themes don't fall behind, they have that apocaliptic/sci-fy vibe that's just a pleasure to listen to.
Yeah, hard is the way to go. I played Nocturne for the first time earlier this year and I was having trouble with one of the bosses so I dropped it down to normal and it was way too easy. Gotta go with hard, even if that means seeing a lot of game over screens. That's part of the fun of SMT!

Danjin44

I’m so glad to see devs didn’t hold back on this game for sake of appealing to mainstream audience and if that means it never going to be as popular as Persona then I take it.

If being more “popular” means game loses its identity then I rather it stays niche.

Top Bottom