• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I be playing videogames on Dopamine Receptor Blockers?

My roommate and I were watching Dopamine detox videos on YouTube, and it occured to me that since I have taken Dopamine Receptor Blockers as an injection, that the dopamine hits from games don't hit the same. So should I play videogames while medicated this way?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The "fun" is flatlined without the drive from dopamine hits for me. I play more from a familiarity standpoint than as a new experience. Like "I remember this should be exciting" rather than "this is exciting for me".
If I genuinely wasn't finding it enjoyable, the only alternative would be to probably just go for intellectual / educational content. Non-fiction books, documentaries, etc. Might as well learn stuff if pure fun is not doing it.

StereoVsn

If I genuinely wasn't finding it enjoyable, the only alternative would be to probably just go for intellectual / educational content. Non-fiction books, documentaries, etc. Might as well learn stuff if pure fun is not doing it.
I recommend going for Paradox' Grand Strategy titles. That learning wall is a cliff so its very educational! ;)

Deft Beck

I don't think anyone here is qualified to answer that question. Just do something else if you're not having fun.

Soodanim

My roommate and I were watching Dopamine detox videos on YouTube, and it occured to me that since I have taken Dopamine Receptor Blockers as an injection, that the dopamine hits from games don't hit the same. So should I play videogames while medicated this way?
I want to make sure I've got the facts straight:
  1. You watched YouTube videos on dopamine detoxes
  2. That directly led to you getting anti-dopamine injections
  3. Now you're asking NeoGAF whether or not you should play videogames
Thank you in advance. Questions will follow your response.

Svejk

Although I'm against medications of the sorts, I would suggest doing something involving nature instead.

Try a Carolina Reaper enema.
That's sure to liven up your gaming experience, regardless of other medications.

I suppose I have to say this: Do not do what I just recommended. You will die.
Really?
pondering pinky and the brain GIF

I think so Brain, but why would anyone stick a Carolina Reaper in their rear end?

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Never heard of Dopamine Receptor Blockers. What was it like and how long/often did you take them? Andrew Huberman, a neuroscientist podcaster, talks about how regulating your dopamine levels is the ideal way to live.

Humdinger

Google tells me that Invega is treatment for schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. If that's why you're taking it, please do not seek or take any advice from anyone on a gaming forum (including me). I can tell you that if Invega does block dopamine receptors (which would make sense), that might have some impact on your experience of gaming. It might have some impact on your experience of everything.

HL3.exe

My brain blocks dopamine naturally in phases, during those times I don't feel like getting out of bed, let alone playing games, if it feels good play while it does.
ADD, have it as well. It's the worst (but livable).

I sparsely take meds just to maintain dopamine admin, to get shit done. Don't know why you would ever want to block that.

Crayon

The "fun" is flatlined without the drive from dopamine hits for me. I play more from a familiarity standpoint than as a new experience. Like "I remember this should be exciting" rather than "this is exciting for me".

Hmm. Maybe try something self-improvement style so you at least know you did something good even if you can't feel a rise out of it. Brush up on another language or something like that. Or exercise. You don't necessarily need dopamine to feel good from exercise.

I'm okay with wasting time playing games but if it's a "flat" experience, I don't know if that would be helpful or unhelpful for your condition. There are some things you can do that are always good, though. :>

Crayon

You should ask that to a... doctor ?

A doctor is just going to tell you to lose weight and give you a pat on the ass.

The more serious the ailment, the more important it is to come to us first.

Just think about it. The doctor is making bank but we're taking care of you for free. I know who I would trust.

Speaking of... Guys I was coughing up a little blood last night. What do you think?

Kuranghi

ADD, have it as well. It's the worst (but livable).

I sparsely take meds just to maintain dopamine admin, to get shit done. Don't know why you would ever want to block that.

I suspect yes, I'm going to get a formal diagnosis soon, it's prviate so its like £800 though 😬 NHS is trash for this sort of thing apparently, several people told me not to even bother due to terrible experiences and just go private.

It makes me who I am, but also it makes me unable to be on time for anything unless I have a partner keeping me right, but she's gone now sadly.

A.Romero

You will be inmune to the effects of lootboxes and such but you can still power through... As pushing yourself to play a game you don't really enjoy any more.

Wildebeest

There are probably worse things you could be doing. A lot of people play games they don't get any enjoyment from. Just look at games like Dota. You can't tell me a single person regularly playing Dota 2 is not voluntarily living a life of misery and would see not feeling anything any more when playing as an improvement.

Trilobit

I'm not sure what these dopamine detox videos are, but just by guessing I'd think they are about trying to get one's dopamine levels more balanced. For example if you have done a lot of drugs then you might for some time crave big amounts of dopamine to feel anything at all.

If you are taking Invega for bipolar or hypomanic episodes then it's better to talk with your doctor about the treatment. For example if your goal is to calm down brain activity.

But I don't really see how normal video games can be detrimental, unless they are competetive war games that spike your adrenaline levels. But like other posters have written you should talk to your doctor about your concerns, especially if schizophrenia or bipolar disorder is involved. :)

Last edited:

SHA

You need to exercise on regular basis, workout or in house, don't bother about other activities.

HL3.exe

I suspect yes, I'm going to get a formal diagnosis soon, it's prviate so its like £800 though 😬 NHS is trash for this sort of thing apparently, several people told me not to even bother due to terrible experiences and just go private.

It makes me who I am, but also it makes me unable to be on time for anything unless I have a partner keeping me right, but she's gone now sadly.
Sucks to hear. Guess i'm lucky to live in a country were pretty much all if that is taken care of, including med expenses. I can definitely relate with the timing thing, it's a hassle and never stops being one. It maybe ironic that I have a managing position in the work that I do, but at home I constantly lose all my stuff when I'm off meds, hehe.

Eventhough it sucks, I would suggest continuing pursuing solutions, from cognitive therapy to perhaps medical. At least try some routes as it has the chance to drastically improve your life and outcome.

SirTerry-T

I think you'll be fine OP, as far as I'm aware with my, admittedly, very limited knowledge on the intricacies of such medication and any ”will it/won't it" reactions, there have been no recorded cases of people's heads falling off or their genitals exploding while playing video games with this medication in their system.

StueyDuck

Unless you are sick and a medical professional tells you to do so... you shouldn't really do anything that creates change in your body.

That's essentially what my oncologist has always told me. Introducing anything new has the potential to cause bigger problems down the road.

So yeah... talk to a medical professional first, not a forum

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What about fighting hard bosses? Do you get up, tear your shirt off and twist it around like a helicopter after they’re defeated?

Easy wins could also be causing an issue. I noticed this with Monopoly Go. It was just one button over and over again with meters and awards popping up. Senseless winning, no real challenge.

FunkMiller

I find the best place to ask for advice about medical injections is always GAF.

Tomorrow I'm going in to the doctor to ask his advice about which is the best ending to Baldur's Gate 3.

mdkirby

Erm, if your medically prescribed them, then I’d suggest asking your doctor, who is presumably much better qualified than a games forum 🤣…tho I’m sure there’s a handful of medical doctors loitering here

Top Bottom