• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube is getting slower?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I watch a lot of YouTube, mostly on my TV and second close on Chrome with my generous good PC. From past week or I noticed a slower version of the app, but that doesn't make any sense

My TV is not the best nor either my PC. Still, playing Prime Video, HBO Max, Netflix or whatever, on both of them works fine, not YouTube

Is just with me?

Edit: Premium subscriber too, so no Ad-blockers

Last edited:

Kilau

If you use an adblocker, Youtube is actively throttling your speed just to fuck with you.

17A1eBr.jpg

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Fuck Google

If you use an adblocker, Youtube is actively throttling your speed just to fuck with you.

if you are blocking the ads you are not freeloading but costing them money, running costs are pretty high for video streaming platforms. So can’t really hate them for this

nkarafo

if you are blocking the ads you are not freeloading but costing them money, running costs are pretty high for video streaming platforms. So can’t really hate them for this
There's a difference between a sane amount of ads and Youtube ads. Most preople didn't block them until Youtube decided to make the site literally unsusable for non premium users.

So yeah i can hate them for this.

There's a difference between a sane amount of ads and Youtube ads. Most preople didn't block them until Youtube decided to make the site literally unsusable for non premium users.

So yeah i can hate them for this.

Devils advocate, but how will they offset the increasing cost of users using Adblock without increasing the number of ads shown to non-blocking users?

It’s easy to be angry but there isn’t really a good solution other than prevent anybody with adblockers from watching videos, or increasing revenue from other users. But both options make the same folks mad..

BossLackey

Gold Member
I'm in the same exact boat as you. Premium, no Ad-blocker, multiple devices, fast/good connection.

It feels very sluggish.

ShadowLag

The whole site is fucked for me. It's like my GPU drivers are crashing or something; hovering over the timeline to skip through videos takes literal seconds for it to even move the little dot, before downloading anything. Every clickable action is delayed by ~1-2 seconds too. Eventually it will decide to show video, and the video will be very choppy.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
The whole site is fucked for me. It's like my GPU drivers are crashing or something; hovering over the timeline to skip through videos takes literal seconds for it to even move the little dot, before downloading anything. Every clickable action is delayed by ~1-2 seconds too. Eventually it will decide to show video, and the video will be very choppy.
Exactly the same for me.

Ownage

Could be just Google slowing down speeds for regular users, to force them to upgrade to premium.
Similar to how they decreased 1080p quality during the pandemic, and now are charging for 1080p Enhanced Bitrate.
DuckDuckGo is much faster than Chrome, as some folks know and previously have said. Give it a try.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Could be just Google slowing down speeds for regular users, to force them to upgrade to premium.
Similar to how they decreased 1080p quality during the pandemic, and now are charging for 1080p Enhanced Bitrate.
Probably this. Having no issues with premium on the PS5 app

winjer

Gold Member
For people with issues, open "Stats for nerds" and check the "buffer health" for how many seconds you have cached.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This might also help. Clearing cache and hard reload of a webpage in Chrome:
  1. Open the Website you want to clear in the cache
  2. Press Ctrl + F5
  3. Or use the Developer Tools by pressing F12. Once the chrome dev tools are open, just right click on the refresh button and a menu will drop down. This menu gives you the option of doing a hard refresh.

Kacho

I have YouTube premium and had the same issue, it was driving me crazy. Thought my PC had a virus. Disabling adblocking on the site did the trick.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I have premium and I feel the slowdown too. I thought it was my laptop, it becomes a bit laggy

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I haven’t noticed anything slower, but I have noticed that they keep reducing my bitrate on mobile, even though my default is set to the highest.

Urban

i read on internet that its a problem with Adblock Plus and there was a bug.
I had the same issues. Chrome + Adblock Plus was nearly unusuable on my PC. Switched to Firefox + Ublock and dont have any issues anymore

Mithos

For people with issues, open "Stats for nerds" and check the "buffer health" for how many seconds you have cached.
Never had so "good" buffer as right now. 40-45seconds.
Normally it have been 15 seconds at best.

The best times where before the new streaming tech though(years and tears ago), when you could press PLAY, then PAUSE, and when you came back from getting something to drink the entire VIDEO was buffered locally.

ANYWAYS...
Videos randomly freeze a second or so ONLY the video, not the audio (in the first 30 seconds of a video) on youtube for me in Firefox, and have been doing so for a month or two.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes. But just since a day or 2. Did some resets and now it's fine for the moment at least (on ps5 app)

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Another tactic that won't work, i also use Brave and U block origin as Winjer and have no slow down's, and works fine, but if it does start becoming unwatchable and slow, i simply won't use Youtube and use Rumble or another service, what a waste of time, Youtube with ads playing over the content or for quite a while before what u want to watch just makes you switch off anyway!

thief183

I'm worried that the majority of ppl will just give up and pay or watch 2/3 ads every video. As for now, Block origin is doing alright, and revanced is working great for my phone.

Hudo

Good, I hope Youtube and Google will get even more hardcore with their measures so that people start using other platforms.

winjer

Gold Member
Good, I hope Youtube and Google will get even more hardcore with their measures so that people start using other platforms.

That is the thing that youtube is forgetting. They are competing with many other forms of entertainment.
Not only video streaming. But also videogames, books, sports, social media, etcs.
If youtube becomes to annoying to use, people will just go and do or watch something else.

Hudo

people will just go and do or watch something else.
Happened to me during the first week when Youtube decided to "fight back" and ublock wasn't working properly. Their ad policy is so fucking aggressive that it makes Youtube unusable without any ad-blocking, imho. And so I stopped visiting that site for a week or so until people said that ublock was working again with Youtube.

It was very easy to just stop going there.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
YouTube fell on their face with the ads acting like it’s a television show, I get the pop up ads but 3+ min ads is way over the line.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seemed to me the problem was specifically with Adblock plus. Try a different adblocker.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Find an instance nearest to you

Watch whatever you want without ads or stupid bullshit

Bonus round: run a private Invidious instance yourself using docker, so you don't have to rely on others to host.

Mistake

Find an instance nearest to you

Watch whatever you want without ads or stupid bullshit

Bonus round: run a private Invidious instance yourself using docker, so you don't have to rely on others to host.
This is what my desktop application FreeTube uses. Rarely it will have a few issues, but otherwise solid. The multiple profiles need to be fixed, because whenever I sub to something on profile 2, it goes on profile 1 as well, so I can't make separate stuff for news or entertainment

Last edited:

Pop

I was using Adblocker for youtube, which they made load times super slow. Switched to uBlock and all is good again. No slowdowns

Spyxos

Gold Member
Youtube has become sooo slow now, it's almost unusable. Not only are the videos themselves extra slow and sluggish, but even if you want to reply to the comments, almost the entire computer becomes slow. And when you leave youtube, everything else is instantly lightning fast again.

Paltheos

This has become a news item that's really only relevant if slowdowns persist for a long time by virtue of add-on developers giving up fighting. Otherwise this will stay a tug of war where sometimes you get clean service and sometimes youtube runs like molasses. No point in doomsaying otherwise - Just a reality of the service now.

Top Bottom