• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

should i sell my psp for a ds?

mj1108 said:
dswelcome1.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

seriouly, what's so hard about owning both?

touchingisgood_20050421_090454_01.jpg

I was going to come in and rebut Drinky, but who the hell am I? :)

There's plenty of DS love in here, I don't need to make it a circlejerk.

Himuro, if you really miss Lumines, there's a homebrew GBA rom called luminesweeper that is an excellent clone and is working its way to Lumines quality. You could get a GBA Movieplayer and a Compact Flash card which will run it and have all the multimedia functions of the PSP (less quality of course) and it runs NES roms as well. Or you could find someone in your area like me and flash your DS firmware so you can run DS Homebrew off the GBAMP or a flashcart.

Though I doubt you'll need the GBAMP since you'll rebuy the PSP and the quality is amazing. But it looks like you have plenty to keep you busy with all the games you bought.

EDIT: Click here to read the best defense for Nintendo DS

I like it because it focuses more on why one person would buy a DS rather than why people shouldn't buy PSP. I don't think it insults the intelligence of PSP owners.

Drinky is really good at bashing the DS. I noticed that he didn't say anything until someone called him out, so I assume his sharp tongue is reserved for those who incur his wrath.

mj1108

The Faceless Master said:
:lol :lol :lol

seriouly, what's so hard about owning both?

touchingisgood_20050421_090454_01.jpg

There's nothing hard about it. I just figured someone was going to post it sooner or later. :)

Yes, it pays to own both.

Zeo

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
I mean, GEEZUS, he listed Ninten-fucking-dogs. You honestly can't like games and want Nintendogs at the same time.

Not too sure what you meant by "You can't like a very fun games and want a very fun game at the same time". Strange indeed.

Anyway, I'm sure most people who think I'm a DS fanboy would expect me to say yes, but I'm going to have to throw out a big NO!

I'm surprised to see how many of you even said flat out yes anyway. Yeah, the DS is better (not graphically, obviously, but gamewise -- especially upcoming, that's hard to really argue), but the PSP had a great launch and there are games worth owning: Wipeout Pure (one of the single best handheld games EVER), Lumines, Ridge Racer, Twisted Metal, Hot Shots Golf, and Darkstalkers. (Nothing else is worth 40-50 dollars.) Maybe Ape Escape, Mercury, and a couple others if they come down to 30 or lower.

If you already have one, don't bother selling it. There are good games to get and a couple good games coming out, but surely better games will be out in 2006 (as there is next to nothing really exciting the rest of this year, save something here and there), like DMC and the FFVII action RPG. I mean if you were thinking of buying one, you should wait, just like you should have with DS, but since you already have it, just stick with it and wait for the games to come.

Of course that doesn't mean don't get a DS. Save up some money to get one, definitely. .. Of course if there really is 0 way for you to get money (i.e. you suck at having a job), then sure, sell your PSP. :p

You might regret it though. I have both and SO SHOULD YOU~~

If you can't find 6-7 great PSP games you're not looking hard enough.

Hell I have a launch DS and own:

Super Mario 64 DS
Elektroplankton
Feel the Magic
Prince of Tennis
Kirby Canvas Curse
The Urbz
Wario Touched

And honestly that's all I could find.
I still want Band Bros and Meteos but I'm holding out for a decent online price. Yoshi and Pac Pix are a waste of silicon IMO yet get hyped to high heaven.

That's coincidently exactly the amount of PSP games I think are worth owning right now.

Wipeout Pure
Ridge Racer
Lumines
Untold Legends
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee
Metal Gear Ac!d
Twisted Metal Head-On

So please don't pretend that the DS is just loaded down with great games.

The DS has a better immediate future but it should as its coming up on its first year in two territories. Compare it to the PSP line up next Spring and you may have a point.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Leo said:
I've gotta throw in my own "good move" to the heap. I've had both systems since launch, and the DS is just so much better than the PSP.

Granted, I'm Nintendo's bitch

And that's the only way this makes sense. He's basically thrown away $80 or so, and the only thing gained is a slightly earlier purchase of a DS and brownie points with the hardcore retarded Nintendo fanbase. And there's no system bias in stating that, because it would be just as true for anyone selling a DS to buy a PSP (except that they'd have thrown away less money, of course).

HeadsUpSevenUp said:
I like it because it focuses more on why one person would buy a DS rather than why people shouldn't buy PSP. I don't think it insults the intelligence of PSP owners.

And there are plenty of reasons for that, and if they apply to an individual person then they should buy a DS. That's not the retarded thing here (sorry, Drinky). What's retarded is selling a console at $80 loss when you fully intend to buy it back. If you've got that sort of money to piss away then at least piss it sensibly, by buying both systems and sticking with them.

Oh, and Feel the Magic is a stylish but ultimately shallow and weak Warioware clone. Should have stuck with the original.

Tony HoTT

Banned
I prefer DS over my PSP.

The sad thing is, that it's the load times, and shitty d-pad that keep me from choosing the PSP over the DS. And the DS has a more promising library of games in the near future.

I do enjoy homebrew on the PSP a lot though, and there should be plenty more of that coming soon. Yoyofr is on board, dude is a saint.

Zer0

Banned
Date of Lies said:
hope your "handheld Ferrari" gets you loads of chicks because obviously that's what you bought it for, not to play good games, like on DS. I bet you're real slick when you take out your PSP at the bus stop, or hell better yet, saturday night at the bar. Your pockets must be swollen with womens' telephone numbers.

I just got Untold Legends for PSP because I was getting angry at myself for buying such an expensive toy and letting it rot on the shelf. Boy does that game suck.

so.psp dont have good games?

Zer0

Banned
kpop100 said:
What's your point. Don't tell me you believe DS game graphics to be better than PSP? Better selection right now I'll accept, more innovative games I'll accept, better graphics though? You gotta be fuckin high.

I though he compared PSP games to PSOne. Then I'm fuckin high :p

i want to see graphical beast (on his time) of psone like tobaln2,vagran history on DS,

To original poster: Why did you post this here? You're not going to get legitimate advice, just Nintendo and Sony fanboys arguing with each other over which one in better. Or maybe you just wanted another lame Crossfire type debate of DS v. PSP. I'm sure there are much better uses for internet bandwidth than this.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Synth_floyd said:
To original poster: Why did you post this here?

I normally assume desperate need for validation in these cases.

demi said:
I didn't plan on having to explain my actions within 24 hours or else face the consequences.

I expect an explanation of what exactly you mean by that within 24 hours, or I'll be forced to ban you.

Yusaku

If Sony just stopped licensing games for the PSP and just turned into a big uber video/homebrew/web browsing machine I'd still keep it.

I don't think we'll be seeing real quality PSP games in abundance until 2006, or even later.

BirdySky

Dear Poster.

I am a representive of Sam's and Sons law firm. We represent Sony Computer Entertainment.
I must hereby request you immediately cease and decist solicitation of advice that may or may not lead to an untaxable sale of a PSP product.

Thank you for your compliance.

stone128

I'm bored. Here's some DS reviews courtesy of me:

Yoshi's touch & Go 4/10 - Tedious and frustrating tech demo

Zoo Keeper 5/10 - I might be biased, cause I've played "bejeweled" to deat on msn messenger

Wario Ware Touched 7/10 - Fun, but short. Not the best in the series, but worth playing.

Trace Memory 8/10 - Short, but has an interesting story and makes use of all of the DS features in really innovative and creative ways.

Kirby 8/10 - A blast to play initially, but feels a little repetetive towards the end. One of the must buys for the DS however.

Meteos 8/10 (score might change over time) - Excellent puzzle game, but (I'm probably alone in this) I think the gameplay is a little unbalanced. I can play for about 4-5 minutes without any problems, but then suddenly the game goes all crazy on you. Up until that point I've used the L/R buttons because the game is too easy. I'd like to have a more smooth progression.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
When I was little, I didn't have much money for games, so I'd always sell stuff to buy new games... I learned my lesson soon after when I started to miss some of the games I sold. I sold LOTS of good stuff - my original Game Boy with Zelda:Link's Awakening and FF Adventure, Final Fantasy 3us, Donkey Kong Country, Kid Chameleon Phantasy Star II (which is probably my favorite game ever).

Yes, the PSP situation is pretty dank right now, but Popolocrois and Ys 6 should be coming soon; if you haven't played Ys 6 for PS2 you're in for a treat, the game is kickass. They're also remaking (I believe), SMT:Devil Summoner, but it remains to be seen if it'll come to the US (knowing Atlus, it hopefully will). Just let it sit on your shelf, collecting dust, because you just KNOW something good will be announced the day you sell it =P

Your best move, like iapetus and Dragona said, would be to save up a little extra and get a DS as well. That way you get the best of both worlds. But do yourself a favor, don't bother with Feel The Magic - I bought DS at launch and got that game, and it was a lot of fun at first (being the first DS game to utilize many of its features). But it wore very thin after a few hours, I got to the Nightmare stages, came oh so close to beating it, and then just gave up... haven't touched the game since. There's really no substance to the game, it's just basically a tech demo. Kirby and Meteos are probably the best games on the system right now, so get one of those.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If it's a 1.50 PSP, I would not trade/sell it away...

Who knows what else you'll be able to do with it down the road. Home brew software is kicking ass and they've only just begun.

As I always say, it is STUPID to sell any system. I can't imagine money is tight to the point that you could not also own a DS. You also don't know what else the PSP holds in store. It's too early to trade it away. The DS had many months of nothing and plenty of people sold theirs. It was a poor choice on their part, as the system has plenty of good looking content on the horizon.

Never sell systems.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
dark10x said:
As I always say, it is STUPID to sell any system. I can't imagine money is tight to the point that you could not also own a DS. You also don't know what else the PSP holds in store. It's too early to trade it away. The DS had many months of nothing and plenty of people sold theirs. It was a poor choice on their part, as the system has plenty of good looking content on the horizon.

Never sell systems.

Quoted for extreme truth, and to point out that he's even said he'll buy a PSP later anyway.

Sanjuro

The Experiment said:
The only acceptable reason why you are selling your PSP is because you're going to get the kick ass white model down the road.

Or the fact he just spent $250+ on a console to play Lumines and NES games....

JavyOO7

Never sell systems.

Heck, never sell games that you never play again.

Sure you'll probably never play them again, but I leave them be for memories and etc etc.

crunker99

Lol i assume by functionality you mean that grey area stuff :) I never got in to that but i hear it is only usable with the 1.5 firmware. The 2.0 is nice if you are not in to that, i have it myself.

Ponn

Banned
dark10x said:
Err, the 2.0 upgrade kinda kills a lot of functionality. :p
I don't know, I have an episode of Iron Chef on there now, the Jap horror movie Audition, a couple podcasts and some songs and Hot Shots Open Tee. And with the web browser now it really has become attached to me every day now.

At this point I would have to be honest to anyone looking at it for just games and games only to make sure the games out and all the games coming up this holiday are what you wanna play (duh, thats why I hate these threads anyways, common sense would tell you to make sure of that before you bought the thing and also make sure you aren't impatient). But if you utilitze it for what it REALLY is which is a handheld media machine you will get a hell of a lot more out of it.

Top Bottom