• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should SE always have two new Final Fantasy games in production the same time?

SantaC

Both FF16 and FF7Rebirth have been in parallell development with eachother with releases less then a year between them.

I am hoping to see more of this in the future, because it makes the wait less painful.

It takes me back to the days of FF8, FF9 and FF10 who came out on yearly releases after eachother.

Belthazar

Yup. Would be nice getting a new numbered entry every 2 or so years. Hopefully it becomes a reality when the main team is done with the remake trilogy. So maybe in 8 years we'll start to see this.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy Valentine GIF

Why not a little something for both the traditional FF loyalists and those who prefer the more ARPG style?

Methos#1975

I think the Switch should get it's own exclusive FF games that are more old school and made in the style of the Star Ocean 2 remake

Kokoloko85

Make games with less focus on graphics and go with stylized art then.
I mostly agree but look at how people complain about how Ronin looks.
New mainline FF always tried to push top tech. And Switch is just too old atm.

Games like SMT5 and Fire Emblem (as much as I love FE3H) are too out dated for modern consoles.

But something like FF9 Remake done in DQ ary style would be much better and cheaper to make.
Maybe Switch 2 wont have games that basically run 2 generations ago

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Square maybe should first figure out what Final Fantasy is and should be about. Because they sure as hell seem to have forgotten since at least FF15. And I would even go further back and say since FF13.
Final Fantasy has always changed, and I'd like it to continue changing. I don't want to play the same game over and over again.

Hudo

Rebirth is better than anything since the PS1
Absolute L take. FF12 alone dunks on anything released after it (so far).

Final Fantasy has always changed, and I'd like it to continue changing. I don't want to play the same game over and over again.
True but it always new what type of RPG it was. Nowadays it doesn't know what kind of game it wants to be.

Last edited:

Hudo

I feel that if they remake Final Fantasy VI it would be 6 games
I feel like if they remake Final Fantasy VI, they would put Nomura at the helm and he would introduce his MCU-Multiverse/parallel timeline stuff and ruin everything. That shit is like the laziest pseudo-intellectual "2deep4me" writing I have ever seen. That's one of the main reasons why all the Marvel shit fell off hard for me after they've introduced these concepts. Because now nothing is of any consequence, really.

Goalus

Both FF16 and FF7Rebirth have been in parallell development with eachother with releases less then a year between them.

I am hoping to see more of this in the future, because it makes the wait less painful.

It takes me back to the days of FF8, FF9 and FF10 who came out on yearly releases after eachother.
They should do annual releases like Fifa.
FF 2024, FF 2025, etc.
They could even introduce FF Ultimate Team, for additional income.

NahaNago

I agree with this. Pretty much always have something major come out ever year even if it isn't final fantasy. Like a kingdom hearts or maybe a year with 2 smaller games for the west like star ocean and dragonquest.

DaGwaphics

I feel like they would burn this franchise out very quickly if they went overboard on releases.

Not that I just wouldn't ignore them all anyway.

Damigos

Actually FF7 remake, FF7 Rebirth, FF14 and FF16 must have been in development in the same time all together.
In any case, the last 3 FFs were very good, and i hope they keep the momentum regardless of how many are in parallel development

squarealex

Your opinion is shit, and factually an utter minority opinion. Listening to you would be the equivalent of listening to the danger hairs of the world.

Sure,
But CBU1 are primarily responsible for the lost interest of the Final Fantasy IP among the player base. With stupid choice, stupid project multi-verse bullshit and stupid sequel no one wants.

Fabula Crystallis Project ? (2006) = Fail
Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy ? (2010) = Fail
Final Fantasy Versus XIII ? (2006-2011) = Fail
Final Fantasy XV into CBU1 ? (2013) = Fail
Final Fantasy VII Remake Co-Dev with CC2 ? (2015-2016) = Fail
Final Fantasy VII Remake in one game ? = Fail
Final Fantasy VII Remake Trilogy ? (The second game dind't reach 3 millions) = Fail.

This guys hurts more the Final Fantasy franchise than 14 hurting Square Enix money.

The most talented artist departed Square Enix bc one project fail, but these guys can doing absolute everything without no one say something?

Woopah

Yes, that way you can have a Sony exclusive team to get big cheques, while keeping franchise awareness alive through a multiplatform team.

I think the Switch should get it's own exclusive FF games that are more old school and made in the style of the Star Ocean 2 remake
Switch 2 should definitely get some FF games, but there's no reason to make them exclusive unless Nintendo does a deal for them.

Myths

I’m sure they always have, whether they’re unveiled or not is a different story. As a flagship title, it’s more than likely the expectation.

Celine

Even if not in name there are already initiatives within Square, led by the Asano team, to release "classic FF" inspired games mainly focused on Nintendo platforms:
Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light / Bravely Default / Octopath Traveler all came out with the intent to homage the classic RPG formula set out by Final Fantasy III and V (and Live a Live for OT).

What misses are attempts to closely relates to late SNES / PS1 FF games and also sometime good enough budgets: some of the Asano team's games felt a bit cheap (looking at you Bravely Default II).

Last edited:
Rebirth is better than anything since the PS1

And I’d say 16 was also damn good and better than anything since FFX even though it’s not a typical FF title
Most of 16's pacing problems in the second half of the game can be fixed with someone modding most spoken dialogue cutscenes for side quests, into a simple 'yes or no' quest box, like so:

IMG_9983.jpeg

1111.png

As someone who has finished FF16 on a hard mode second playthrough, skipping the side cutscenes with dialogue greatly enhanced my experience of the game.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Eh they can do whatever as long as there is a game like Bravely Default or Octopath Traveler hiding somewhere.

I have my New Age Final Fantasy fix with stuff like Granblue or Xenoblade.

Synless

Sure,
But CBU1 are primarily responsible for the lost interest of the Final Fantasy IP among the player base. With stupid choice, stupid project multi-verse bullshit and stupid sequel no one wants.

Fabula Crystallis Project ? (2006) = Fail
Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy ? (2010) = Fail
Final Fantasy Versus XIII ? (2006-2011) = Fail
Final Fantasy XV into CBU1 ? (2013) = Fail
Final Fantasy VII Remake Co-Dev with CC2 ? (2015-2016) = Fail
Final Fantasy VII Remake in one game ? = Fail
Final Fantasy VII Remake Trilogy ? (The second game dind't reach 3 millions) = Fail.

This guys hurts more the Final Fantasy franchise than 14 hurting Square Enix money.

The most talented artist departed Square Enix bc one project fail, but these guys can doing absolute everything without no one say something?
I’m lost on what argument you are trying to make. None of them have been failures in any unmeaningful metric above that you are trying to claim.

You should probably just assume the series hasn’t and won’t be for you going forward.

Top Bottom