• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shower thought: Reconstructed 4K should be called faux-K

R6Rider

Gold Member
Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

Kilau

That term had it's moment around the launch of the PS4 Pro, on this very board even. Call it reconstructed, doesn't really matter. The resolution called 4K shouldn't be called that anyway.

It's just fancier upscaling.... Nobody should call it 4K, but faux-k should not be a thing because it implies that upscaling did not exist before.... Sometimes they are actually pretty good and you really need to know where to look to spot any kind of difference.

YCoCg

Gold Member
Depends on its usage, would this only be used to describe TAA and checkerboarding? You know how a certain team reacts if you say anything negative about DLSS.

Griffon

Depends on its usage, would this only be used to describe TAA and checkerboarding? You know how a certain team reacts if you say anything negative about DLSS.
Well there would be bad faux-4 and good faux-4.

I'm on board, more clarity about what it really is is always good.

Armorian

Banned
Every time you hear phrase "4K" on console games you can expect it pretty much won't be native.

Now, devs should use "2160p" to say that their games are indeed native 4k, people that are interested in resolutions of games will know what's up and casuals will see a big number.

Dream-Knife

Banned
4k being called 4k is dumb anyway.

320×240p
640×480p
1280x720p
1920×1080p
2560 × 1440p

3840 × 2160p is 4k? It should be 2160p.​

SkylineRKR

To be fair 1080p is sometimes called 2k.

For marketing reasons 4K is rather easy to pronounce. I think if they could go back, 1080p would've been called 2K from the get go.

Dream-Knife

Banned
To be fair 1080p is sometimes called 2k.

For marketing reasons 4K is rather easy to pronounce. I think if they could go back, 1080p would've been called 2K from the get go.
That's what LD(? idk what we would call 240p as everything back then ran at it besides a few N64 games), SD, HD, FHD, QHD, and UHD is for.

Top Bottom