• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sid Meier's Pirates! (xbox) - IGN review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/632/632366p1.html

Sid Meier's Pirates is a must-have Xbox game. It's that simple. This "adventure" game comprises a little bit of strategy, touches of RPG, it's got fighting and collecting, and it's designed in an ingenious way so that the goals, economy, and mini-games, all tie into, bolster, and support one another.

There is very little violence, no blood, sex, or swearing. In fact, nobody actually utters one single word. Everyone speaks a kind of Sim-lish, a nonsensical language that sounds like language from a distance, but is really just purposeful gibberish. So, it's good clean summer gaming.

So, let me just put it this way. Not since the first Doom and Warcraft II, both of which I was totally addicted to, have I been so utterly lost to, absorbed, and completely mermerized by a game. The first time I played it, I played until 4 am in the morning, a healthy eight straight hours. The second time I played, I lost another solid night of sleep, going to bed at 5 am. Just be warned, you will need to warn your boss you might be sick one or two days in the following week, and you will need to explain what happened during that stretch of un-returned phone calls to your girlfriend. If I were you, I would get this game in a heartbeat.

9.0 Presentation
Well-organized menus, options, and controls. Simplistic cutscenes become redundant, but the game's simplicity is part of its genius.
7.5 Graphics
This is not a graphic powerhouse, to be sure. Animations are mixed, load times are fast, and many scenes are often repeated.
8.0 Sound
Adventure-themed pirate music in its most simple and ever-so-slightly B-movie form. Silly, galant, extravagent, repetitive, they're all there.
9.5 Gameplay
The game's brilliance is how it ties every little thing -- fencing, dancing, ship attacks, gathering, plundering, marrying -- together. Addictive, distracting and time-consuming in all the best ways.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
First time through? It could last 15 or 25 hours, depending on how linearly you play. I've already beaten it twice, and I'm back for more. Plus, the added pirate mini-game is surprisingly good.
9.2 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

fugimax

Why is it that scores never resemble the text of an article? I'm convinced editors change scores based on political reasons. A game that has captured a reviewer unlike any game since Doom or Warcraft II, is a must-have game, etc., etc. should not get a 9.2

Isn't this the kind of game that deserves a 10 (or 9.8-9.9 if you want to nitpick)?

(Note: I've not played Pirates, I'm just seeing a discrepancy in the review vs. the score...much like the Gamespot Meteos review)

bill0527

Didn't OXM give this game a 5 or a 6 ?

Looks like we've got another over-hyped IGN review. Something gets in the water and makes those guys go crazy on reviews every couple of months.

Tain

Not in this case. Pirates on the PC last year was awesome, and there's no reason for this game not to be.

Ironclad

Pirates! is a great game. I played it on the PC a little while ago. Maybe i'll pick it up for the Xbox as well.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Sjoerd said:
Pirates is one of the greatest games ever.

The first 10 hours that is, never played it since...

Same here. Got old REAL quick. Quicker than I remember the original getting. Never could get into Pirates Gold. Not sure why, though.

Speevy

Banned
I'm not very intrigued by the idea of pirate dealings in a game. That's why I didn't pick up Pirates of the Caribbean on day one. That, and the game turned out to suck.

Speevy

Banned
I wasn't. Still doesn't interest me though. I might pick it up down the road, just to see how it plays.

sangreal

I believe he was seriously addicted the first two days. I don't, however, believe him when he says he enjoyed it beyond that.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
^^^Exactly^^^

I had one marathon session with it when i first got it but after that it got old very fast

JMPovoa

I had one marathon session with it when i first got it but after that it got old very fast

That's not true. That's just your conscience saying "Why am i playing this awesome old gen look-a-like game if i got hundreds of graphic crunching games on my backlog to finish. Let it cool in there."

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
There's no online MP, just off. I believe there's only scoreboards and such on LIVE.

And they optimized a bunch of stuff for Xbox (small but significant). It's not a straight port in the sense that a lot of shitty games have been.

It's only $39.99 I've been looking forward to this forever. IGN has done a good deed.

Meier

Pirates! was probably the most disappointing title I've played in years.. coming from a Sid Meier fanboy.

Count me in the 'had fun with it for about a week' club. Very addicting. Introducing the game to my roommate during finals week was one of the major factors of him failing out of college.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
BobbyRobby said:
Count me in the 'had fun with it for about a week' club. Very addicting. Introducing the game to my roommate during finals week was one of the major factors of him failing out of college.

Had a blast for about 2 weeks...But I still pop it in every now and again... I just wish they would have added more stuff.. I mean it is the exact same game with better graphics... not a bad thing but not exactly a leap... I still do love it for the fact that starting a new game is so easy to do...

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
fugimax said:
Why is it that scores never resemble the text of an article? I'm convinced editors change scores based on political reasons. A game that has captured a reviewer unlike any game since Doom or Warcraft II, is a must-have game, etc., etc. should not get a 9.2

Isn't this the kind of game that deserves a 10 (or 9.8-9.9 if you want to nitpick)?

(Note: I've not played Pirates, I'm just seeing a discrepancy in the review vs. the score...much like the Gamespot Meteos review)

a 9.2 isn't high enough post? what the hell forums am I on? what's wrong with 9.2??

as for multi, the review mentions 4 player ship battles, and it's the ship battles that most intrigue me about this game, even if little is said about them in the review... grumble...

bjork

It's supposed to be simple and short, they even said that in interviews... the notion of sailing an entire pirate career in one evening was one of the goals. So if you're playing it every once in awhile, I think that's what they were looking for. Not reinventing the wheel.

Personally, I thought this new one was fun, but I wish they'd left ship vs fort battles in from the original.

Top Bottom