• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 5 9th gen exclusives?

So games that are on 9th gen(PS5/Xbox Series) but not 8th gen(PS4/Xbox One), games like Horizon Forbidden West doesn't count. Timed exclusives count I guess.

IMO:

1 - Ghostrunner 2(although 1 is even better it's just a GOAT fucking series tbh): 9.5/10

2 - Godfall(super underrated if you can look past how generic it is and the abscence of a proper story, its a very game-y game): 8.5/10

3 - Deathloop(mainly for the addictive pvp, the main campaign is nothing to write home about): 8/10

4 - Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart(just all around perfection apart from the cheesy pixar story. super frantic gunplay and surprisingly fun puzzles): 8

5 - Forspoken(idc what anyone says this game was super fun, especially if you enjoy open world games with fun traversal mechanics, sandbox style combat with dozens of different spells and the overall badass superhuman/mage feeling, like inFAMOUS): 7.5

Edit: Forgot about rift apart

Last edited:

saintjules

I would still say Returnal for me is definitely in a top 5 somewhere (if we're not counting that it does to PC later).

The environment/atmosphere/music especially in this game makes you forget everything around you while you're playing. Definitely my favorite immersive game that has not yet been beaten by any game after it so far.

I would still say Returnal for me is definitely in a top 5 somewhere (if we're not counting that it does to PC later).

The environment/atmosphere/music especially in this game makes you forget everything around you while you're playing. Definitely my favorite immersive game that has not yet been beaten by any game after it so far.
I couldn't really get into that game. Then again, i'm not the biggest fan of space sci-fi stuff.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Demons Souls
Final Fantasy XVI
Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart
The Medium

I imagine Final Fantasy Rebirth and Stellar Blade will probably top these lists when they're released

saintjules

I couldn't really get into that game. Then again, i'm not the biggest fan of space sci-fi stuff.

Could be the space stuff throwing you off perhaps.

I love entering in the unknown. Dark and cold. Yields universal results that give me a thrill personally.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

Wait, just PS5/XSX, and the games have to be exclusive to them?

1. Spider-Man 2
  2. Baldur's Gate 3
  3. Star Wars Jedi Survivor
  4. Phantom Liberty
  5. Starfield
I actually can't think of many more next-gen exclusive games (at least ones that I kinda sorta tolerated as a baseline). This generation has been a bust, huh

1. Returnal (by a large margin)
2. Demon's Souls
3. Remnant 2
4. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
5. Hi-Fi Rush

Top 5 might change a bit once I get to Phantom Liberty which is a current-gen only xpac.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

1. Returnal
2. Star Wars Jedi Survivor
3. Spiderman 2
4. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
5. FF16

Denzel Washington Movie GIF

Three

So games that are on 9th gen(PS5/Xbox Series) but not 8th gen(PS4/Xbox One), games like Horizon Forbidden West doesn't count. Timed exclusives count I guess.

IMO:

1 - Ghostrunner 2(although 1 is even better it's just a GOAT fucking series tbh)

2 - Godfall(super underrated if you can look past how generic it is and the abscence of a proper story, its a very game-y game)

3 - Deathloop(mainly for the addictive pvp, the main campaign is nothing to write home about)

4 - Forspoken(idc what anyone says this game was super fun, especially if you enjoy open world games with fun traversal mechanics, sandbox style combat with dozens of different spells and the overall badass superhuman/mage feeling, like inFAMOUS)

5 - Ghostwire Tokyo(very mid by the numbers game but still a blast weaving spells and slinging them at enemies with ninja hand signs)
Hate to break it to you but godfall doesn't count. It released on PS4.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
LOL at Everyone saying this gen has sucked. At first I was like I agree and was about to go on a rant about how a cross gen game has been my GOTY every year since this gen started in 2020. TLOU2, It Takes Two, GoW Ragnorak and now Zelda.

Then I realized that it was pretty much the case last gen as well when my GOTYs were TLOU1, Destiny/Titanfall, MGSV and The Last Guardian which was effectively a PS3 game in disguise.

Yes, Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Batman AK, BF1, Titanfall 2 and Fallout 4 are probably better games than all the games in my top five this gen, but its not like cross gen wasnt a thing last gen. With Witcher and Batman AK now ported to the freaking switch, its obvious that they werent exactly doing anything too next gen besides fancier visuals. I look at games like RE4 and Zelda and they blew me away regardless of whether or not they existed on last gen consoles.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that, everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Just comforting to know that the world will be spared the sequels to those wrecks that you list among "one of the best games of this gen".
I'm all in for new IPs but those were really lackluster.
They're better than most modern AAA games. Fun gameplay is what matters the most, everything else comes second.

They're better than most modern AAA games. Fun gameplay is what matters the most, everything else comes second.
Your second sentence I agree with but the first is just so wrong on too many levels.

Returnal, Spider-Man 2, Dead Space, Demon's Souls, Rift Apart (which you already named), Hi-Fi Rush, FFXVI and Phantom Liberty are titles that immediately come to mind which offer vastly superior gameplay to the three turds you listed.
Cannot say anything about Ghostrunner 2 because I just played the first one for a couple of hours.

Your second sentence I agree with but the first is just so wrong on too many levels.

Returnal, Spider-Man 2, Dead Space, Demon's Souls, Rift Apart (which you already named), Hi-Fi Rush, FFXVI and Phantom Liberty are titles that immediately come to mind which offer vastly superior gameplay to the three turds you listed.
Cannot say anything about Ghostrunner 2 because I just played the first one for a couple of hours.
FF16s gameplay objectively doesn't hold a candle compared to them. The mobs literally have training dummy AI in that game. Only bosses and minibosses put up somewhat of a fight(and that's only if you limit yourself to no potions). That's unforgiveable. This isn't even touching on how it also fails as an action RPG since you have very few ways to customise your build(besides buying a new weapon to up your atk/def) and that each element you choose only affects aesthetic changes, no status effects or a weakness system.

I also doubt Spider-Man 2 does if it's anything like the first game but can't fully judge as I haven't played that one.

Last edited:
FF16s gameplay objectively doesn't hold a candle compared to them. The mobs literally have training dummy AI in that game. Only bosses and minibosses put up somewhat of a fight(and that's only if you limit yourself to no potions). That's unforgiveable. This isn't even touching on how it also fails as an action RPG since you have very few ways to customise your build(besides buying a new weapon to up your atk/def) and that each element you choose only affects aesthetic changes, no status effects or a weakness system.

I also doubt Spider-Man 2 does if it's anything like the first game but can't fully judge as I haven't played that one.
I don't really want to go there and point out all the faults the games you listed did because I could fit them in a book.

Spider-Man 2 does everything the first game did but just better and while the narrative was not that good the gameplay is and was always top-notch and pure fun in the Insomniac SM games.
Something that couldn't be said about Godfall, Forspoken and Deathloop.

Codes 208

Demon Souls and Hi-Fi Rush
So far this is my answer. I mean if we include cross gen then yeah I’d add elden ring, gow:r, and maaaybe halo infinite (now that firefight is out and theyve fixed most of the shit i was upset with)

But mostly, eh, its still early in the gen but im not impressed

It looks like we're in the worst generation since the 4th.
Unpopular opinion but I would argue this is the best gen since the PS2 days lol. It's like a super enhanced version of 8th gen with 4K, 60fps, haptic feedback, adaptive triggers and 3D audio. There isn't much innovation this gen adds to the table but still, thank god 60fps is finally the standard! I struggle to play in 30fps nowadays.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony is investing millions of dollars into exclusives there’s a ton already (Sackboy, GT7, Spider-Man etc.) 100% better than last gen!

Yea I don’t know my overall ranking but there’s no way Returnal isn’t in that top 5.

Top Bottom