• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves | PS5 Version | Review Thread

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ive played it for years and I wouldn't say it fundamentally changed since launch, combat and everything else in the way of Co op fun etc was in there from day one.

Of course it has improved but I wouldn't say it should be as scored as low as 69 or jump from 69 to 85 if that makes sense.

The core gameplay loop hasn't changed. They've added features, content, and QoL improvements though.

Havoc2049

ok, is 3 fetch quests at launch worth $60 to you? Cause that's what it was charging.
Way to ignore the various mission types within each faction, skeletons, sharks, skeleton forts, leveling up to become Pirate Legend and gaining access to the Athena faction, Krakens, the challenge of sailing a ship, learning the map, the co-op social aspect and the PvP ship and land battles that were all there at launch.

I'm a day one Sea of Thieves player and never felt ripped off due to lack of content. Yes, if Rare wasn't on the ball and didn't update the game in a timely manner with new content then that would have sucked. That didn't happen though and Rare brought new content to the game shortly after launch and had a hit game on their hands.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I mean, for obvious reasons? It's a Playstation-only website reviewing a formerly Xbox-exclusive 1st party title and giving it a 9/10.

Just not something we've seen before and an interesting sign of the tides changing.

I never realized PushSquare was a PS-only website. You learn something new every day.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
MMO's are never "complete". They're continually updated.
Your need to move goalposts for console warring purposes never ceases to amaze.

Vanilla WoW, at launch, was a complete product. It got some content updates after - but it wasn't lacking content to begin with.

Sea of Thieves *was* incomplete at launch. It took 3 years before it got to a decent content level that would have warranted a release.

ManaByte

Gold Member
SoT PS5 ads on GAF:
Mi5JyXp.jpeg

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
SoT PS5 ads on GAF:
Mi5JyXp.jpeg
I just started the game, but I'm having second thoughts about the pirate I selected. If I delete my pirate, do you know if I'll still have access to my pre-order pet bird and other cosmetics? I'm early enough in the game that I don't think my progress would matter very much. Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I just started the game, but I'm having second thoughts about the pirate I selected. If I delete my pirate, do you know if I'll still have access to my pre-order cosmetics? I'm early enough in the game that I don't think my progress would matter very much. Any thoughts or advice?
Don’t delete your pirate.

They sell a potion in the shop for $1.50 and you can use that to re-roll your appearance.

aXPAiLW.jpeg

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Guardian review: 5/5

And while Sea of Thieves lacks the systemic complexity of a traditional role-playing game or massively multiplayer adventure (you can’t upgrade your weapons or boat for example – everyone gets the same kit), what it offers is a very different sort of role-play experience, existing somewhere between acting and childlike make-believe. You’re pirates on the ocean wave, fighting sea monsters and digging up treasure, but you’re also larking about playing musical instruments together or firing each other out of a cannon. Whether you’re playing on PS5, Xbox or PC, the Sea of Thieves of 2024 provides its own kind of imaginative fantasy, freed from the tyranny of the skill tree and levelling up system. You’ll laugh, you’ll sail, you’ll drink grog until you’re sick. What a luscious, singular sandbox experience. What a real, genuine treasure.

Mossybrew

Me and my fellow newb PS5 friend hooked up with a vet last night and had a blast, fighting skeleton ships, other player ships, this game can be quite hectic at times.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Bullshit

You getting paid by Microsoft? There were many reviews like the one below at launch. Don't rewrite history.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You getting paid by Microsoft? There were many reviews like the one below at launch. Don't rewrite history.

You said it took "MANY YEARS". It's been out for six. I showed you the game update history showing the exact dates everything was added (the majority of the recognizable stuff was in by the anniversary update), you're posting Day 1 stuff.

iHaunter

You said it took "MANY YEARS". It's been out for six. I showed you the game update history showing the exact dates everything was added (the majority of the recognizable stuff was in by the anniversary update), you're posting Day 1 stuff.
It did take many years. For it to be in a state where it's doing well on PS5. I didn't specify how many.

iHaunter

It would've done well on PS5 if they released the anniversary edition (the ONE YEAR edition). That's not "many years"
Agree to disagree. I don't think the player base will last long anyway. Game is fun for a couple of weeks. I might check it out on PS5 if it comes out on PS+. I mainly played it on PC.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Agree to disagree. I don't think the player base will last long anyway. Game is fun for a couple of weeks. I might check it out on PS5 if it comes out on PS+. I mainly played it on PC.

The player base continues to grow. They hit 40 million right before the PS5 beta. They'll be at 50-60 million before the fall at this pace with PS5, especially with it in the top 10 games on the US and UK PSN.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Glad to see the UK supporting Rare 🇬🇧

Can’t say I agree, or it definately wouldn’t be averaging 85 and getting top scores from publications.

The vast majority of what makes the game was in there by the one-year update. Since then has been seasons adding smaller QoL updates and refinements.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The player base continues to grow. They hit 40 million right before the PS5 beta. They'll be at 50-60 million before the fall at this pace with PS5, especially with it in the top 10 games on the US and UK PSN.

Which we have already shown in other threads, that "40 million" is nonsense. Lot of folks who downloaded it, played it for maybe 1-2 minutes and never returned. That does not make a lively and active player base. Try again.

Havoc2049

Your need to move goalposts for console warring purposes never ceases to amaze.

Vanilla WoW, at launch, was a complete product. It got some content updates after - but it wasn't lacking content to begin with.

Sea of Thieves *was* incomplete at launch. It took 3 years before it got to a decent content level that would have warranted a release.
Tall Tales out of my fanboy arse.

Schmick

Which we have already shown in other threads, that "40 million" is nonsense. Lot of folks who downloaded it, played it for maybe 1-2 minutes and never returned. That does not make a lively and active player base. Try again.
Where's the data that will show how many of the 40 million have played only for 1-2 minutes?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Well, it certainly has a lively and active player base on Steam (28k peak CCUs in the past 24 hours) and Xbox (hasn’t dropped out of the top 50 most played Xbox game since release).

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm enjoying the shit out of it with my son but he keeps insisting that we attack every boat we come across and keep getting nailed lol

Top Bottom