• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIE Korea announced that it will not be releasing Rise of the Ronin in South Korea (more details in the OP)

Sony Interactive Entertainment Korea announced that it will not release Japanese game company Team Ninja's new game 'Rise of the Ronin' in Korea.

Rise of the Ronin is an open world action-adventure game set in 19th century Edo period Japan. As it is a new IP game from Team Ninja, which has provided fun to gamers with unique actions such as Ninja Gaiden, Nioh, and Walong: Fallen Dynasty, it has garnered high expectations from many gamers immediately after its release.

Sony Interactive Entertainment began pre-ordering Rise of the Ronin in December last year and received a rating from the Game Management Committee for domestic release.
It was not possible to pre-purchase Rise of the Ronin with a Korean account on the PS Store. At the time, Sony Interactive Entertainment explained that this was a general measure applied to games that were not officially released in Korea.

With about five weeks left until the release date, the remarks of director Fumihiko Yasuda, who is in charge of Rise of the Ronin development, raised the eyebrows of Korean gamers.

The fact that the setting of Rise of the Ronin itself was the Meiji Restoration was controversial in some quarters, but in a video discussing the aftermath of the development of Rise of the Ronin, director Fumihiko Yasuda made a statement glorifying Shoin Yoshida, a 19th-century thinker who advocated 'Jeonghan theory', a theory of invasion of Joseon.
Sony Interactive Entertainment Korea has given up on releasing Rise of the Ronin in Korea. Neither the package version nor the digital download version can be purchased in Korea. It was not revealed that the controversy over the director's remarks was the cause.

Korean gamers said, "Sony Korea made a good decision," "I won't even look at Team Ninja games in the future," "I don't understand why they are trying to put ideology in the game," "Socrates is not such an insignificant great man." They are voicing criticism towards Team Ninja, such as "I hate Korea, but I have no conscience supporting Hangul."

Ar¢tos

Ok, it's their loss. *shrug*

The ones in Korea that want to play it can always import or buy with an account from another country.

Kupfer

Lame. I’m so done with all these culture wars. It’s just fiction with light history references. It’s just videogames. Get over it.
You can always say something like that with enough distance.
Based on your comment I assume you are neither Korean nor Japanese?
Neither am I, but I can understand that this topic is complex and can be important for certain people & cultures.
Besides, how does this decision affect you?

Varteras

Gold Member
I don't think I will ever understand the seemingly unending burning hatred Asian nations have for each other. I mean holy fuck, my country nuked Japan TWICE and I don't get any feeling at all from the Japanese that they have some incredibly deep-seated cultural resentment to America. Can anyone help me understand?

midnightAI

I like shaka kan

Chaka Khan Bet GIF by Soul Train

Sakura

I don't think I will ever understand the seemingly unending burning hatred Asian nations have for each other. I mean holy fuck, my country nuked Japan TWICE and I don't get any feeling at all from the Japanese that they have some incredibly deep-seated cultural resentment to America. Can anyone help me understand?
As far as I am aware, Korea has had a very negative sentiment to Japan ever since the occupation. Up until as recently as the late 90s early 2000s Japanese media (music, tv shows, movies, video games, etc), was banned from even being broadcast or sold in the country I think. There are still some laws as well.
In my experience young people don't really care that much any more, or at least not the ones I've met.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
People are upset because of his comments about a guy who died almost 200 years ago? Lol.

If anyone ever says something positive about Genghis Khan imma lose my shit.
They're upset because they still have people alive who remember the last time Japan conquered them.

This is my favorite war memorial ever made. It sits right across the street from the Japanese embassy.

ThisIsMyDog

expansion-Japanese.jpg
Imperialism, along with a bunch of war crimes, tends to make neighboring countries despise you to the core. Just take a look at Russia.

Varteras

Gold Member
As far as I am aware, Korea has had a very negative sentiment to Japan ever since the occupation. Up until as recently as the late 90s early 2000s Japanese media (music, tv shows, movies, video games, etc), was banned from even being broadcast or sold in the country I think. There are still some laws as well.
In my experience young people don't really care that much any more, or at least not the ones I've met.
expansion-Japanese.jpg
Imperialism, along with a bunch of war crimes, tends to make neighboring countries despise you to the core. Just take a look at Russia.

Do the Japanese frequently act insensitive to what happened? I know there has been a lot of tension over them even just acknowledging what they did.

Varteras

Gold Member
Most do not know what or the full extent of it. It's not taught in schools. There's a large amount of people that deny it ever happened. The dragon quest composer was one.

Oof. Yeah. A country should be willing to teach its kids the nation's failures as a lesson to not repeat and to help them understand how others might view them. And denying things that have clear records from multiple sources, and in a timeframe that is still within a possible human lifespan, is terrible.

MrRibeye

Am I the only one who opened Yoshida Shōin's wikipedia page and found nothing relevant to Jeonghan theory and an invasion of Joseon? Almost none of his writings are available in English, but he seems to have published a lot.

He seems to have played a part in bringing down the shogunate in Japan, which makes sense since the game is about Ronin.

When I watch Game Director Fumihiko Yasuda talk about him here, there's no mention of Korea, but if that's the case then the mere mention of Yoshida Shōin must be somehow connected to the idea of invading Korea.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Am I the only one who opened Yoshida Shōin's wikipedia page and found nothing relevant to Jeonghan theory and an invasion of Joseon? Almost none of his writings are available in English, but he seems to have published a lot.

He seems to have played a part in bringing down the shogunate in Japan, which makes sense since the game is about Ronin.

When I watch Game Director Fumihiko Yasuda talk about him here, there's no mention of Korea, but if that's the case then the mere mention of Yoshida Shōin must be somehow connected to the idea of invading Korea.

The whole opening of Japan to western tech led to their rapid industrial revolution and that led to imperial ambitions. The whole time period is going to romanticize something Koreans dont want to play.

Boss Mog

lol, Wikipedia... :pie_eyeroll:

Dcr1d3r

Stockholm syndrome

Ever tried walking around one of the areas where the US army still operates one of their countless military bases?

near

Gold Member

The Game Producer & Director Fumihiko Yasuda clearly references the birthplace of the ideology that motivates the main character to change the way the country was run, the Shoka Sonjuku School, which follow the teachings of Yoshida Shoin. Yoshida Shoin cultivated the ishin shishi who contributed to the Meiji Restoration (through which many atrocities were committed against Koreans and neighbouring Asia). Yasuda specifically mentions the Choshu clan, who actually were the more radical shishi that went on to form the core leadership of the Meiji government.

VIo6UlQ.png

He then goes on to say (speaking of Yoshida Shoin) that he wanted to depict he's teachings and life from the moment he started working on RotR. "He wasn't just a philosopher, he insisted on the importance of taking action."

O9xJqVo.png

0bnlxMT.png

If you understand the context of this all, you can see why this would be a little triggering to Koreans. The consequences of the brutality that they endured at the hands of this leadership still lives on today. Although the game takes place a good 90 odd years before Korea was invaded, the game seems to romanticize the revolution that started it all.

Edit: Thought the game took place in the early 1800s, this takes place during the late 1800s. I hate history lol.

Last edited:

MrRibeye

The Game Producer & Director Fumihiko Yasuda clearly references the birthplace of the ideology that motivates the main character to change the way the country was run, the Shoka Sonjuku School, which follow the teachings of Yoshida Shoin. Yoshida Shoin cultivated the ishin shishi who contributed to the Meiji Restoration (through which many atrocities were committed against Koreans and neighbouring Asia). Yasuda specifically mentions the Choshu clan, who actually were the more radical shishi that went on to form the core leadership of the Meiji government.

[ ... ]

Right, so the offense goes beyond the mere mention of Yoshida Shoin but the entire context of the game itself.

People are upset because of his comments about a guy who died almost 200 years ago? Lol.

If anyone ever says something positive about Genghis Khan imma lose my shit.

I mean, that's dumb when someone represents an ideology. If someone makes a game and says "Guys just saying but hitler was a fucking genius and was onto something" - You think that wouldn't illicit a reaction? Just some guy who died ages ago bro.

Mowcno

I mean, that's dumb when someone represents an ideology. If someone makes a game and says "Guys just saying but hitler was a fucking genius and was onto something" - You think that wouldn't illicit a reaction? Just some guy who died ages ago bro.
Googling Yoshida Shoin and Jeonghan Theory literally only gets me results about this game and his wikipedia article doesn't seem to mention anything about it. So I'm completely ignorant on the matter. But taking the tweet as correct, a scholar "advocating" for militaristic conquest and a world leader actually doing it while committing genocide aren't remotely comparable.

If someone can actually give me any information on what this guy did that was so horrific I would be thankful. It seems to me like the tweet is pinning it all on this one comment while wider issues might be in play.

Last edited:
Googling Yoshida Shoin and Jeonghan Theory literally only gets me results about this game and his wikipedia article doesn't seem to mention anything about it. So I'm completely ignorant on the matter. But taking the tweet as correct, a scholar "advocating" for militaristic conquest and a world leader actually doing it while committing genocide aren't remotely comparable.

If someone can actually give me any information on what this guy did that was so horrific I would be thankful. It seems to me like the tweet is pinning it all on this one comment while wider issues might be in play.

"I'm completely ignorant about this subject and the cultural issues between korea and japan but I think it's dumb and not a big deal unless someone gives me a history lesson"

Eotheod

And very few younger Japanese people even know about the war crimes.
Generational trauma is a thing. With how horrific the last Japanese invasion was, you can bet it's taught in Korean schools deeply.

I do love some of these comments being all "wow get over yourselves Korea it was hundreds of years ago my video games are art let them speak!" Yet we can have games that include literally anything social commentary and its "WOW THE FUCKING WOKE HOLY SHIT FUCK YOU GAME DON'T SELL!"

Pick a lane people and stick with it. Especially when it comes to literal imperialism and invasion like we are seeing today with Russia/Ukraine. People really need to read up on Japan's imperialistic past, shit is fucked yo.

At present, the situation in the world is in conflict with each other, with great and small strengths and weaknesses colliding with each other. At this time, we, Japan, were isolated in the middle of the oriental sea and were accustomed to the national wind for 2,500 years, so we still do not know the situation inside the five continents. In addition, the national power is in decline, the armament is empty, the people's heart is lazy and weak, and the imperial country has no spirit for independence. Knowing this, if you spend your time in a conventional manner, it is certain that you will die, fall, capsize, perish, and be subjugated to another country within a few years. If we want to shake off this now and rise up and make our country independent under the world, we can only fight, attack, conquer, cross oversea, first compare the might of the nations of the Savior, and finally stand side by side among all the nations of the world. does not exist. Now, countries such as England, France, Prussia, and Russia do not have the time to extend their strength to China, Korea, and Manchuria by confronting each other. At this time, we, Japan, should seize the opportunity to cross over to China, Joseon, and Manchuria, take it away, and build the foundation for invading the countries of Europe.
You can also Google "Yoshida Shoin Seikanron" for further information.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

Remember when half of the U.S. committed mass armed treason to preserve governments that promulgated and protected human chattel slavery? And lots of people alive today who live there think it was a noble cause?

Well I'm still going to eat biscuits and gravy. Because who gives a shit.

Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Roberts

The whole opening of Japan to western tech led to their rapid industrial revolution and that led to imperial ambitions. The whole time period is going to romanticize something Koreans dont want to play.
Yeah, I don't think Finns, Estonians, Latvians, Lithuanians and a few others would like to play, let's say, a game that romanticizes the heroism of a WW2 Russian soldier. That said, I'm always for the opportunity of having a choice instead of a ban.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Generational trauma is a thing. With how horrific the last Japanese invasion was, you can bet it's taught in Korean schools deeply.

I do love some of these comments being all "wow get over yourselves Korea it was hundreds of years ago my video games are art let them speak!" Yet we can have games that include literally anything social commentary and its "WOW THE FUCKING WOKE HOLY SHIT FUCK YOU GAME DON'T SELL!"

Pick a lane people and stick with it. Especially when it comes to literal imperialism and invasion like we are seeing today with Russia/Ukraine. People really need to read up on Japan's imperialistic past, shit is fucked yo.

You can also Google "Yoshida Shoin Seikanron" for further information.
Yeah, just a short couple of decades after this game the Queen of Korea was gang raped and burned alive by Japanese military for trying to resist their imperialist aims. The distasteful issue is that this game is going to depict all of these influential Japanese leaders as handsome heroes when many of them were literally monsters.

Yeah, I don't think Finns, Estonians, Latvians, Lithuanians and a few others would like to play, let's say, a game that romanticizes the heroism of a WW2 Russian soldier. That said, I'm always for the opportunity of having a choice instead of a ban.
Yeah, I'll get the game later after some price cuts. I liked Kenshin also which is set in the Meiji Restoration. To the Japanese, that's an extremely complex time period where they acknowledge the great achievement of resisting western imperialism by rapidly transforming their entire country while still trying to preserve some of their old feudal culture. That's not all bad. But to China and Korea especially, it would be like watching the birth of the ideology of Hitler portrayed with Hollywood actors and glamorous action cutscenes. And that's particularly sensitive for Koreans because literally their main point of disagreement to this day is anger about Japanese tendency to not acknowledge the extent that these things happened and to brush it under the rug.

MrRibeye

"I'm completely ignorant about this subject and the cultural issues between korea and japan but I think it's dumb and not a big deal unless someone gives me a history lesson"
This is almost as helpful as the guy who made fun of Wikipedia.
lol, Wikipedia... :pie_eyeroll:

The Encyclopedia Britannica has almost nothing to say about Yoshida Shoin either.

It is fascinating how difficult it is to find anything of substance, with actual sources and not just hearsay.

The NamuWiki link was super helpful. Check out their page on Yoshida Shoin, it's bang on with all the relevant details. I'm happy now.

It's really interesting how so many people don't know about the terrible things Japan did back in the day. I remember learning about this stuff in school. The Imperial Japanese military did some really messed up stuff during its expansion in Asia. Like, there's the Nanjing Massacre, also known as the Rape of Nanking (rape cases ranging from 20,000 to over 80,000). Then there's Unit 731, where they did these horrific experiments on POWs and civilians, like vivisection and testing out biological and chemical weapons. The Comfort Women — Women from occupied territories forced into sexual slavery by the Japanese military. And then there's the Bataan Death March in the Philippines.

Top Bottom