• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Souls-like Rise of The ronin will have difficulty options

Draugoth

Gold Member
1702716933-6529-capture-d-ecran.png
Rise of the Ronin is an open-world action video game developed by Team Ninja - renowned Japanese studios to which we owe, among others, Nioh and Nioh 2, the Ninja Gaiden franchise and more recently Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. This PlayStation exclusive at the crossroads of Ghost of Tsushima, Assassin's Creed, Nioh and Dark Souls offers an open world adventure in feudal Japan from the Bakumatsu period (the end of the Edo era) which revisits this troubled part of the History of Japan. The title depicts a Japanese archipelago from the mid-19th century (1853–1868) prey to tumult through a map which, far from recreating the entirety of Japan, focuses on three cities: Yokohama, Edo (Tokyo today) and Kyoto.

Rise of the Ronin and Elden Ring, two different philosophies

Team Ninja has built a solid reputation among gamers looking for a permanent challenge once the controller is in their hands. With Rise of the Ronin, the development teams have slightly changed their approach in order to reach a wider audience. During an interview given by Team Ninja to the JV editorial team, the vision of the difficulty of Japanese studios was discussed. Unlike their previous productions (Nioh, Ninja Gaiden, etc.), Rise of the Ronin wants to please fans of Elden Ring and Souls-like, but also reach out to more “casual” players. To do this, Team Ninja has integrated three distinct difficulty modes.

Q: T
he Nioh and Ninja Gaiden sagas are renowned for their level of difficulty. Can we expect an extremely difficult video game? How to manage this increase in difficulty in an open world? Have you analyzed games like Elden Ring to achieve this?

Obviously Team Ninja titles aren't designed to be easy for everyone to play, but we wanted to make this title more accessible to a wide range of players. We have developed three distinct difficulty modes that players can choose based on their preferences. The first is aimed at narrative-focused players who want to experience the story and play without too much difficulty. Then we have an intermediate mode for players used to this kind of experience. Finally, we have a harder mode that is more in line with our previous games and meets the needs of hardcore gamers and Souls-like fans. - Yosuke Hayashi (Producer - Team Ninja) and Fumihiko Yasuda (Development Producer and Game Director)

Translated from JeuxVideo

Last edited:

Pelao

I'll probably play it on hard to keep the difficulty similar to their other games, but I'm glad my brother is going to be able to play it too, since he doesn't like hard games, but was itching to play another open world samurai game after finishing Ghost of Tsushima recently.

As long as the majority of focus is put on the hardest difficulty, which sounds like it is, then I'm fine with it. The Nioh games are easier than Fromsoft Souls games imo. There are a lot of tools to help cheese the game. Rise of the Ronin will probably be even easier because it is open world, just like Elden Ring. I'm fine with easier difficulties, just don't water it down for die hard fans

Certinty

I’m glad.

I suck at these types of games so i’ve missed out on the few which have interested me due to the difficulty (Lies of P, Bloodborne etc.).

I know the challenge is part of the experience to some but for me personally i’ll rather take the option of making it easier than not playing these games at all.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In what part this game was ever described as "Souls like"?
I'm wondering about that as well.....are people assuming this is "Souls-like" because they made Nioh? The impression I got, this game wasnt really trying to be "Souls-like" and hoping is not.

I LOVE Souls games FROM makes but I fucking dont need every other devs make Souls game.....I just dont need it.

I'm wondering about that as well.....are people assuming this is "Souls-like" because they made Nioh? The impression I got, this game wasnt really trying to be "Souls-like" and hoping is not.

I LOVE Souls games FROM makes but I fucking dont need every other devs make Souls game.....I just dont need it.

It is going to be soulslike. You drop your XP at death while going from checkpoint to checkpoint. I will never not love that gameplay loop. Also, you will play as two players, with the ability to switch between them in the middle of combat. So that will be a nice wrinkle to typical Nioh and Fromsoft games

Last edited:

Skifi28

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it has ever been described as "souls-like" by the developers. Just because they made these types of games in the past doesn't mean everything will do will be the same. Looks more like a traditional open world game with intricate combat.

Last edited:
I just bumped FF7 Intermission down to easy for the last boss battle, the 3rd phase got real annoying. Ain’t nobody got time for that!

I want a Ghost of Tsushima difficulty level for this. So I’ll play this intermediate level.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Wo Long must have been the test subject. As much as I enjoyed my time with Wo Long. I hope this has better bosses and enemy variety.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Don't give them any ideas.

But lets be real, for $10 all you'll get is a shaving of one of Jim Ryan's crusty toenails.

They already beat my expectations by offering a $10 path for TLoU Part 2. I did not expect that at all.

Didn't even realize the game was a Soulslike. I'll try it off of Gamefly either way.

Season 11 Friends GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I recently converted into believing that not every game has to be accessible for everyone and it's okay for soulslikes to not have difficulty options. Even more, in most of them the difficulty being a core essence of the game.

That said, if this particular game was designed from the ground up with multiple difficulty options in mind, then I don't see a problem with it either.

Last edited:

ungalo

I like unified difficulty but i rather take difficulty options than gameplay options that make the experience too unequal between the players.

StereoVsn

Didn't even realize the game was a Soulslike. I'll try it off of Gamefly either way.
Good idea. This is one of those games that could go either way but I did like Nioh 2.

On PC I will wait a bit for inevitable price drop though in a few months alongside some patches.

Souls-unlike, then.

This - it reminds me of that first Jedi game. Struggling on a stupid boss? Drop down the difficulty and saber him in half!

The whole point of Souls games is that you have to level, get the right gear, hone the combat techniques and learn their moveset.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
This isn't Miyazaki adding difficulties. Nioh did enough of its own thing, and I imagine this will as well. I like to think if they're adding difficulty options it will work out just fine. Good luck to them.

EDMIX

Truth.

From what I've seen, this looks to be its own thing.

X-Wing

Great. Having these doesn’t take away anything from those who want a challenge. If the developer wants to make the game more accessible to a bigger audience the more power to them.

Top Bottom