• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Signalis |OT| Enemy Zero

FluffShake

QEa16oq.jpg

I think the inflated game time is due to me being alt-tabbed a lot, not sure.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ever since I saw that downed enemies in the game get up after a while, I just started juking and evading them altogether, hence the low kill-count and shots fired.

tTgvc2J.png

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
What was so hard about it? Design is very simple:
1) Just wait and hide from attacks, let her eat lead 2) Take down two mobs 3) Go back to 1) until it's done.
Sometimes the boss goes into a part of the lower screen where you can't shoot it's weak spot and then you need to waste more ammo on the first phase.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Sometimes the boss goes into a part of the lower screen where you can't shoot it's weak spot and then you need to waste more ammo on the first phase.
Well, you can always hide from attacks and wait for another opportunity I guess....

jaysius

Banned
Wow feels like I blazed through a lot of the later areas lol.

Like I said before, once i found out that enemies can get up, combat was essentially only relegated to the bosses for me.
You see that's shitty design, having enemies that are essentially there to be ignored.

YEA YEA it's "OLD SCHOOL". NO it's bullshit.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
You can do this in every game, basically. Elden Ring is full of enemies you can avoid or engage with. So what?
The inventory juggling that is "OLD SCHOOL" but fucking annoying in 2022, was really bad, they should have done the QOL thing where puzzle items were a seperate inventory or didn't count in your inventory.

There are so many reasons to avoid this game, and so many to play this game, but the reasons to avoid are greater.

tommib

The inventory juggling that is "OLD SCHOOL" but fucking annoying in 2022, was really bad, they should have done the QOL thing where puzzle items were a seperate inventory or didn't count in your inventory.

There are so many reasons to avoid this game, and so many to play this game, but the reasons to avoid are greater.
Whoever is reading this, don’t pay attention to this man. He clearly has an irrational hate boner for a perfect retro survival horror experience made by 2 people. Let me repeat that, 2 people made this game - and they did their best to stay true to an era from the past either in aesthetics or in game rules. If you want to get close to what it was to play this kind of game in 1997, there’s hardly a better title out there.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You see that's shitty design, having enemies that are essentially there to be ignored.

YEA YEA it's "OLD SCHOOL". NO it's bullshit.

To be fair, you can do the same in pretty much all the SH and RE games as well, this is an accurate homage to those.

jaysius

Banned
To be fair, you can do the same in pretty much all the SH and RE games as well, this is an accurate homage to those.
Those games were of that time, we didn't know any better, that mechanic was sensible then as that's all that was expected of those games. In 2022 we can do better, the "old school" parts don't have to be so annoying now.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I finally started playing and i can just echo what has been said. A wonderful game and a huge surprise for me. Atmosphere, sound design and presentation are exceptionell. I'm enjoying my time greatly with this.

While some might find things like item management, backtracking or the overall flow archaic it's obviously a love letter to many old games and a concious design decision to cater to fans of those games.

52474747054_de00d4dce6_o.png

52473965387_926f2e76ef_o.png

52474747049_943f3c7319_o.png

52475011203_789f88cfeb_o.png

52474747024_0ac08b2a53_o.png

52474465436_182f0f3e0b_o.png

Con-Z-epT

Those games were of that time, we didn't know any better, that mechanic was sensible then as that's all that was expected of those games. In 2022 we can do better, the "old school" parts don't have to be so annoying now.
The fact that this game sticks so close to these design elements should tell you enough. I find it quite amusing how hard you try to talk this game into something it never wants to be. You clearly miss what it is all about.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
That little 3 jingle sound that plays on the title screen.....it reminds me of when you would dial an out of service phone number and then hear those three beeps and the recording that would go "Your call cannot be completed as dialed.....this is a recording"

I'm taking my time, still haven't finished it, it's not the type of game I can play for hours on end, I've been doing 60-90 minute sessions in between playing a couple of other games.

I was hoping there might be an inventory upgrade, 6 slots isn't nearly enough in a game so puzzle heavy where the objects needed to solve puzzles take up those precious slots. I know it was a deliberate decision from the devs and I'm as old-school as they come but some sort of concession here would have been appreciated to cut down on the tedium.

Otherwise my praise continues to be high. I'm fully exploring and reading every single document I come across, noticed early on that all the androids are codenamed birds: eagle, starling, hummingbird, stork etc. I wonder if this will be eventually explained or if the devs leave it open to interpretation, I'm good either way. Need to finish this before GoW, will post final thoughts upon completion.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just beat it the first time. I took my time but still beat it in about 6 hours I think. Got the "Fail" ending lol.

Near the end I finally got the Nitro Express rifle (after realizing what the ammonia was for) then not even get a chance to use it.

Really liked this one. Will play through again in the future for sure.

tommib

Just beat it the first time. I took my time but still beat it in about 6 hours I think. Got the "Fail" ending lol.

Near the end I finally got the Nitro Express rifle (after realizing what the ammonia was for) then not even get a chance to use it.

Really liked this one. Will play through again in the future for sure.
Fail ending is not the end. You have 1/3 of the game ahead of you.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
tmjRTqk.png
One of the best survival horror games I've ever played, especially when it comes to story since Silent Hill 2, plus it's absolutely amazing visually as well with its PS1 aesthetic (but with a lot of modern tech like lighting, shadows, glass transparency, dof etc. etc.), dark and depressing atmosphere and soundtrack.

But if there's one thing to complain about... it's the max amount of inventory slots you have - there's only 6 of them in the game and cuz of that there's way too much backtracking and fiddling with storage boxes just cuz you can't pick up an item or even two at times. I think at least one more inventory slot could've eliviated this problem for the most part, but alas.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
But if there's one thing to complain about... it's the max amount of inventory slots you have - there's only 6 of them in the game and cuz of that there's way too much backtracking and fiddling with storage boxes just cuz you can't pick up an item or even two at times. I think at least one more inventory slot could've eliviated this problem for the most part, but alas.

I think the flashlisght and the eye cam would work as permanent upgrades just like the radio. Especially the latter, it's rather useless since nobody will carry an extra item if you can just snap a pic of the screen with your phone or make a screenshot in OS. There could be more to this tool but it's yet undiscovered.

SCB3

Oh I was slightly interested but just saw its on Game Pass, downloading now on Series X, could be a nice Weekend game

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

I think the flashlisght and the eye cam would work as permanent upgrades just like the radio. Especially the latter, it's rather useless since nobody will carry an extra item if you can just snap a pic of the screen with your phone or make a screenshot in OS. There could be more to this tool but it's yet undiscovered.

Yup, the eye is completely useless so I haven't used it at all. As for the flashilght, there's literally no 100% good reason for it to be an item which uses one inventory slot, it's stupid. But I guess that was their idea to make the game more tense, cuz when you use the flishlight it instantly alerts nearby enemies? But then again and even considering that, I still can't see a reason for it to be a separate item cuz you're using it a lot and can't playthrough the game without it and so basically instead of 6, you've 5 inventory slots. But I mean, it's not like a huge issue overall, it's just annoying that you need to fiddle with storage boxes a lot and backtrack too much. If they'll make flashlight to be a permanet item outside of inventory, that'll be awesome.

Last edited:

Alex11

Man this game is really fun, atmospheric and interesting, this and A Plague Tale are such good and welcomed surprises. Too bad they released in this GOW Ragnarock time, because everyone seems to drool after that one.

Hell of a game, thoroughly enjoyed it, became more SH like the deeper I got but often reminded me of MGS too and of course RE.

Now that I've beaten it I'm looking up the different ending requirements and based on how I played for Memory ending this explanation is *completely* wrong:

UDpfinw.jpg
dMuvQgO.jpg

I beat the game in 13h, killed a fair share of enemies and burned some corpses, talked to *all* the NPC's and completely exhausted their dialogue 🤔.

Bartski

Gold Member
Hell of a game, thoroughly enjoyed it, became more SH like the deeper I got but often reminded me of MGS too and of course RE.

Now that I've beaten it I'm looking up the different ending requirements and based on how I played for Memory ending this explanation is *completely* wrong:

UDpfinw.jpg
dMuvQgO.jpg

I beat the game in 13h, killed a fair share of enemies and burned some corpses, talked to *all* the NPC's and completely exhausted their dialogue 🤔.

yeah those requirements are incorrect. This has been dissected on the code level and game grants "points" for certain conditions met while playing. The most effective way to get the "promise" ending (the closest thing to a good ending except Lily secret ending) you have to die a lot, play a lot of the game at low health and over 10 hours or something like that.

I got "promise" just playing through on survival just getting my ass kicked. Nobody knows for sure really. I'm over 300 post behind following this epic thread now so maybe it's been already discovered.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Nice, I almost didn't start again after the Fail, hell of a game.

You guys save so little, I'm a little save paranoid, probably will finish it with 200 or so.
I generally save most times I clear a section, complete a puzzle, or if I'm about to go try something that may be risky. I felt like I was saving a lot.

Lasha

I generally save most times I clear a section, complete a puzzle, or if I'm about to go try something that may be risky. I felt like I was saving a lot.
I try to save as little as possible with the eventual goal of clearing a game without saving at all if possible.

SJRB

Gold Member
Pardon my ignorance but how do you stomp on enemies?

I shoot them down and they wiggle on the floor but I can't seem to stomp on them.

Con-Z-epT

Pardon my ignorance but how do you stomp on enemies?

I shoot them down and they wiggle on the floor but I can't seem to stomp on them.
Just run up to them and press X or A. You gotta stand in the correct position. From time to time i also struggled with this.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah the stomping requires a pretty specific placing or else it won't work. Hence my confusion at first.

That said, what an amazing game. I just reached the third floor, what an incredible experience so far. Amazing blend of genres and I absolutely love the retro-industrial artstyle. The german flavor text also really adds to the experience, and the music is god-tier. Just picked up the soundtrack on Bandcamp, easiest 7 bucks I ever spent.

GOTY contender.

tommib

Yeah the stomping requires a pretty specific placing or else it won't work. Hence my confusion at first.

That said, what an amazing game. I just reached the third floor, what an incredible experience so far. Amazing blend of genres and I absolutely love the retro-industrial artstyle. The german flavor text also really adds to the experience, and the music is god-tier. Just picked up the soundtrack on Bandcamp, easiest 7 bucks I ever spent.

GOTY contender.
Up there on my list as well.

Alex11

Jesus, it shows me almost 13 hours for the playthrough, not that it's long, but I really didn't feel it took even that, it's brimming with atmosphere, the sci-fi horror genre is just so appealing to me.
Just started the second one, and very, very rarely do I start another one immediately after the first one.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Can't say I'm really feeling it. Played for maybe an hour or so, just got the radio. I do like the aesthetics and atmosphere though.

Denton

This game is so god damn overrated.

It is a fetch quest simulator, find a key to find a key to find a key. And over and over again. Good atmosphere and retrovibe, but that's about it.

I will finish it (just reached the fake ending) but it is tedious as hell.

Alex11

It is a fetch quest simulator, find a key to find a key to find a key. And over and over again. Good atmosphere and retrovibe, but that's about it.

Well, I think it's meant to be tedious, to make multiple walks between rooms and enemies, to decide when to kill, who to kill or to save up ammo.

There some nice puzzles too, I thought those were interesting, not only finding keys, although I see your point.

But I'll take this tedious gameplay any day over the triple A blockbusters with a false sense of danger or being in control and press a button or two during cutscenes.

Con-Z-epT

It's obviously very subjective if you will fall in love with the game or not but you sure are quite superficial on your judgement here.

You have shooting mechanics, you can push enemies and additionally erase them completely. Resource management together with hard restrictions on how much you can carry. Clever puzzles which are needed to be solved by investigation. And a whole story to digest and to figure out on your own pace. All together makes for a wonderfully paced and eerie game.

Sure, you also have to pic up key A and bring it to door B, but to simplify the game as a "fetch quest simulator" doesn't do the game justice in any way.

You said it's tedious as hell for you and i sure wonder why you even keep carrying on playing then. Only for the atmosphere although you don't like the game?

It's about diving into each aspect the game has to offer to get the most out of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom