• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill - The Short Message | State of Play Trailer

magnumpy

ok, I made it to the bug bathroom with bathtub filled with blood and now GAF is crashing and their's some crazy newspaper monster that keeps killing me :(

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah you're not done 😂
But you'll have your
giphy.gif

"It is a Silent Hill game" moment soon enough, whether that's enough for you to push forward is another thing.
I mean my first impressions was

and

but now I get it where it's going and it's not that.
Just like all Silent Hills, it's keeping her there and not for the reasons the Giallo believes

I mean they are the underlying themes in it but....

Are you sure?

Also
Crying baby in a fridge 🤔
BaI6WyO.jpg

I think the biggest problem is they model it after PT, I mean this is literally PT in a different location and a lot more too it
but PT was very limited on purpose.
And while short this isn't just a demo so I don't think it translates well into a bigger game without feeling like a PT clone that we've all seen before even though that's not what this is
This Konami's internal team experimenting as they haven't made game in a long time hence why it's free.
There words not mine.
And I'm interested in what they may produce next internally.
I just wrapped it up. Not bad for being free. I would have been a bit disappointed had I paid for this.
I never got into Life is Strange or Gone Home, but this screams those types of games with a much darker tone. This has Netflix quality written all over it. I don’t get Konami. The whole girl-girl friendship/relationship thing is a solid theme in their last F2P Silent Hill episodic thing. I’m not trying to say there’s something wrong with that. It’s just not really giving me a strong lasting impression. I’m thankful this was free. I only see myself going back to this for someone else’s amusement.

I read a couple Silent Hill comic books and this has the same amount of quality to it. The story reminds me of the very end of Homecoming. Silent Hill 4 felt better to be honest.

They show the whole risk of suicide warning so many times. Omg I get it. There’s help out there, but I didn’t play this with suicidal intentions in the first place.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

This is such a strange... product.

Like it's Konami, created internally it sounds with external help. It's free. It's not connected to other SH games (as far as I know) like what is the point of this? Do we think this might be them deciding if they themselves should be picking up the reins on a full SH game.

While it's great for us gamers I just fail to see the end goal here.

I saw the trailer today and I love Silent Hill and am cautiously optimistic. Launching the game I’m met with a screen with a page worth of text along with links and numbers to the suicide hotline.

I have no political leanings but trigger warnings are bullshit. I’ve been through real hard stuff but have seen depictions of characters going through similar elements in media.

Each time, I might have been mildly disturbed but I learned something from their stories and different experiences.

I hate this new wave where all of the hall monitors of society have been given the reign because they think they know better.

You can argue all day if video games are art or not but that doesn’t matter. In today’s time, everything is art, like it or not.

Every piece of media tells a story. Why are we putting warnings before certain content? To remove those who might best benefit from a cathartic experience?

Fuck this.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Was excited to play this tonight… See how I feel later because it isn’t sounding good in here.

Last edited:
Releasing Today Following Official Reveal

image.png

The Short Message is a spin-off of the classic horror franchise set in modern-day Germany. It casts you as Anita, explores a location known as The Villa from a first-person perspective.
Previous ratings board leaks suggest that it will have strong suicide themes and horror violence.

Silent Hill: The Short Message is being paired with Bloober Team's remake of Silent Hill 2, which was first revealed back in 2022 and also received a new trailer during the State of Play. It's part of an ambitious reboot of the franchise featuring multiple projects, including Silent Hill f and a brand-new movie.

Why isn't this in VR?

ShadowNate

I found it boring. Clearly I am no longer the target audience for Konami's new ideas of a how a Silent Hill game should be.

Almost every element here is a turn off for me.
- Unavoidable repeatable running away in maze like environments from an invincible creature that one-hit kills you, while occasionally searching for collectibles to proceed to the next segment.
- Too much reading, and then some more reading.
- Holding a smartphone for a flashlight and occasionally texting with it.
- Repeatedly leading the character to an unavoidable segment of killing herself.
- Trauma, silly trauma, and horrificly scarring trauma that is NONE OF YOUR FAULT.

There's some of the recognisable Silent Hill imagery, but this is mainly a mix of the countless crappy indie horror games we've seen since Amnesia and Outlast. I guess they also went on a rehash of PT's structure, but this ends up nowhere near that. And it has no original ideas to bring to the table.

Is just too subtle for a Silent Hill game... I can't figure out the themes by watching the trailer.

Silent Hill it's known for its "as subtle as flashing trigger warning on the screen" games.

But this might be an interesting change of pace.
A very subtle SH game, I'm in.

(Konami are legally necrophiles at this point...)

Like it's Konami, created internally it sounds with external help. It's free. It's not connected to other SH games (as far as I know) like what is the point of this? Do we think this might be them deciding if they themselves should be picking up the reins on a full SH game.

Maybe they had a bunch of interns with nothing to do so they stuck them in a corner and said make a shitty free game or whatever, we literally dont care.

Rob_27

Her voice is so drab and moody. Just turned it off. May be OK but won't give it another go until its in VR

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
After playing this. I highly recommend the superior apartment walking sim Devotion.

MiguelItUp

So, I get that it's free, but is it legitimately worth checking out? Nothing about the trailer gave me Silent Hill vibes, so that doesn't sit that well with me. It just feels like they plucked an indie horror game and threw the IP on it IMO. Maybe I'll just watch a playthrough. :pie_thinking:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So, I get that it's free, but is it legitimately worth checking out? Nothing about the trailer gave me Silent Hill vibes, so that doesn't sit that well with me. It just feels like they plucked an indie horror game and threw the IP on it IMO. Maybe I'll just watch a playthrough. :pie_thinking:
Yea I’d say it is. It’s worth checking out for the branding alone. It won’t cost you anything. I’d highly recommend Devotion. That game was worth every cent.

I've lost hope for this franchise at this point. They are truly throwing everything at the wall until something sticks.
Yes it's a free demo, and at the end of the day who cares... but the fact that this is drawing so much influence from the P.T. and not, you know, SILENT HILL, is crazy to me.

They tried to copy the Kojima's vision for the future of Silent Hill, but forgot the essence of the old games, which P.T. still maintained.

Flabagast

I found it pretty good as a proof of concept imho, and generous with that (>2 hours), makes me intrigued for Silent Hill F.

Although there were some bad things, voice acting being one, it would have worked much better with Japanese VO imho (which I imagine is the original one)

MiguelItUp

I can't believe so many people are so negative about something that is completely free. Weird.
In a world where a game like Fortnite that has gotten more free content than any other free to play game but people still bitch about content. Anything can happen, lol.

I think people were just really hopeful for the SH brand's resurrection and are disappointed over and over again.

Last edited:

Bond007

Got tired of running from the Cherry Blossom lady- me running in circles.
Will finish it today. Maybe..,.,

Edellus

I just finished it.

At first, I found the story cringe worthy. But later on, and with the help of reading the documents, I realised it wasn't really about the protagonist, she was just a means of touching a very interesting aspect of teenage suicide and the stress and obsession for social validation made worse by social media. At the end the story wasn't about the character finding herself or even forgiving herself. It was just understanding why she did what she did, where it all came from, why she was wrong, and remembering reasons to move forward in hopes of things getting better. It wasn't clear cut nor "done", and I liked that for a touchy subject such as suicide and depression.

It wasn't particularly scary, though. Just tense. I got frustrated a few times with the maze near the end.

Okay enough and short experience to play once. And why not, it's free.

Hunter 99

I quite enjoyed it tbf, it's been 12 years since the last mainline entry and 9 or 10 since P.T. I thought the music was on point and it brought back some nostalgia of silent hill vibes for me. I liked the otherworld scene towards the end running from the flower thing and the story of the mom and the kids was pretty disturbing.
I been waiting for silent hill for over a decade now and the fact this was free I can't complain about anything.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Silent hill was many people’s favorite franchise it’s advertised as the ultimate horror game.

Mr Hyde

Downloading it now and gonna check it out. Don't delete it from your hardware. Remember what Konami did to P.T.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I saw the trailer today and I love Silent Hill and am cautiously optimistic. Launching the game I’m met with a screen with a page worth of text along with links and numbers to the suicide hotline.

I have no political leanings but trigger warnings are bullshit. I’ve been through real hard stuff but have seen depictions of characters going through similar elements in media.

Each time, I might have been mildly disturbed but I learned something from their stories and different experiences.

I hate this new wave where all of the hall monitors of society have been given the reign because they think they know better.

You can argue all day if video games are art or not but that doesn’t matter. In today’s time, everything is art, like it or not.

Every piece of media tells a story. Why are we putting warnings before certain content? To remove those who might best benefit from a cathartic experience?

Fuck this.
Good Christ. Who the fuck cares. This is the dumbest, most insignificant thing to complain about. I swear to god, you people get triggered by “trigger warnings” more than the folks you’re complaining about.

It was also annoying when Nintendo would stop my gameplay every 30 minutes to tell me to take a break. But if you let every little inconvenience ruin an entire experience for you, you’re only robbing yourself.

I’m truly sorry your cathartic experience has been ruined. 🙄🙄🙄

StueyDuck

Maybe they had a bunch of interns with nothing to do so they stuck them in a corner and said make a shitty free game or whatever, we literally dont care.
it is konami so who knows, but that's not really how business works, if you having people sitting around doing nothing you bring them into other projects, not just say go make something for free, unless they are working for free.

"we" should care because "we" should try understand if this is a push to see if a proper new in house Silent Hill is viable or if they are just trying to market more skateboards, it's ok to examine something further than just the barebones basic details.

Fuck this.
I'm all for getting annoying woke influences out of gaming (Spider-man 2 still tastes like shit and i didn't even eat the game). But I dunno man, i don't think theres really all that much political about Suicide and suicidal hotlines. I don't really see this being anything more than possibly helping a person who is feeling that way and gets help from the hotline. the rest of us 99% of the people ignore it because its a dumb splash screen that we all probably mash X to get pass as quick as possible.

Camreezie

For free it was decent. The maze where you can barely see and get one hit killed can fuck right off though. Thematically fine but creatively bankrupt level design in parts

Raonak

Banned

It's a proof of concept for the dev team to work on before they jump in with a brand new silent hill game.
From a development prespective, it's quite smart as it allows the dev team to get comfortable with their new engine, iron out any kinks, and
start projecting how long it'll take to make a full blown game using this production scedule.

And it doubles as a way to build hype for the silent hill brand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom