• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Situation in amsterdam

GymWolf

So yeah let's get to the point, i usually travel to amsterdam during summer and i don't know if it is sure to make a trip this year with the fucking covid so i need some answers from dutch people:

Are coffeeshop open for tourists (italian tourist here)? Do they have rules that ruin the enjoyment (wearing masks etc.)?

Can i walk on the streets without a mask? I usually walk for like 10 km everyday while i'm there and walking that distance with a mask is far from ideal.

Chance of another shut down with the risk of being blocked there during august?

General situation there? Are dutch people chill or worried about the covid?!

Are restaurants and every other type of business working regularly?

Thanks.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
So yeah let's get to the point, i usually travel to amsterdam during summer and i don't know if it is sure to make a trip this year with the fucking covid so i need some answers from dutch people:

Are coffeeshop open for tourists (italian tourist here)? Do they have rules that ruin the enjoyment (wearing masks etc.)?

Can i walk on the streets without a mask? I usually walk for like 10 km everyday while i'm there and walking that distance with a mask is far from ideal.

Chance of another shut down with the risk of being blocked there during august?

General situation there? Are dutch people chill or worried about the covid?!

Are restaurants and every other type of business working regularly?

Thanks.

I was in netherlands just a few days ago.

You dont have to wear mask there. Its not mandatory. I dont think there will be another lockdown soon.

Cant tell you abput the coffeeshops.

Restaurants and stuff just like Germany. Open but maybe some "limitations" like maximal guest number and stuff

Last edited:

GymWolf

I was in netherlands just a few days ago.

You dont have to wear mask there. Its not mandatory. I dont think there will be another lockdown soon.

Cant tell you abput the coffeeshops.

Restaurants and stuff just like Germany. Open but maybe some "limitations" like maximal guest number and stuff
Do you were in netherland or speciafically amsterdam?!

Thanks anyway, so now i'm waiting to know the coffeeshop situation.

You literally costed me 2000 euros with your post :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Real question, would you still be going to Amsterdam without the legal weed? I always found it to be a tourist trap shithole, you could go to so many nicer places for less money and just buy weed from a guy instead. Somewhere like Prague especially.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Real question, would you still be going to Amsterdam without the legal weed? I always found it to be a tourist trap shithole, you could go to so many nicer places for less money and just buy weed from a guy instead. Somewhere like Prague especially.

It is indeed a Tourist trap shit hole. I grow to dislike Amsterdam more and more.

GymWolf GymWolf :

Shops are still open! Just bought a couple of grams Amnesia. No masks besides public transport and Kalverstraat as well Someone just told me. I would recommend just 1 day Amsterdam and go to see something more quiet and chill here. Plenty to see and not that busy

MilkLizard

Coffeeshops are open for take-away only. So you have to smoke somewhere else which is not ideal. Maybe a smoker friendly Airbnb or something?

Also lol at tourist trap shit hole, it's a great city. I usually go in March or April to catch a cool concert and chill out a bit without wife and kids.

GymWolf

yeah i love everything about the city.

the chill atmosphere, the fact that it's a very small city and almost everything is at walking distance (i hate driving cars), the food, the shops with all the muchie food literally every 3 meters, the women, the fact that every fucking place has at least one italian guy who work there and can help you if my english is not good enough.

of course legal weed is big plus because i'm a ganja lover but i have simil coffeeshop in barcellona (with cheap and better quality weed from my last trip there) but i still love amsterdam more for some reasons... and yes most of the coffeeshop are tourist traps, but i was in amsterdam for like 12-13 times, i know the city like tha palm of my hand so i avoid all the shitty places, i literally make new friendships with other tourist offering my guidance, tourist women appreciate when a guy know his shit:ROFLMAO:

strangely enough i have zero curiosity for place like prague etc., i'm not a guy who gives a fuck about museums or monuments and shit like that, also i'm not really into the russian\nordic archetype of woman (they are beatiful, but they are just not my favourite type of beauty), amsterdam women are like the exception to the rule:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Aside from the weed

Aside from the weed it has a lot of great stores, old fashion, hidden ice cream shops and its just a beautiful little city with lots of stuff to do

Last edited:

GymWolf

It is indeed a Tourist trap shit hole. I grow to dislike Amsterdam more and more.

GymWolf GymWolf :

Shops are still open! Just bought a couple of grams Amnesia. No masks besides public transport and Kalverstraat as well Someone just told me. I would recommend just 1 day Amsterdam and go to see something more quiet and chill here. Plenty to see and not that busy
can you explain the bolded part?
Coffeeshops are open for take-away only. So you have to smoke somewhere else which is not ideal. Maybe a smoker friendly Airbnb or something?

Also lol at tourist trap shit hole, it's a great city. I usually go in March or April to catch a cool concert and chill out a bit without wife and kids.
dude this one would be my 14 or 15th trip there, i was there during every season basically, there was this time when i catched this gigantic snowfall in december a couple of years ago, it was magic.

only takeaway is a big bummer, i love chilling in coffeshop and smoking with new people every time, but i also smoke a shitload of joints outside basically everywhere especially in parks.

do you think they are gonna change this by august or no chance?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
yeah i love everything about the city.

the chill atmosphere, the fact that it's a very small city and almost everything is at walking distance (i hate driving cars), the food, the shops with all the muchie food literally every 3 meters, the women, the fact that every fucking place has at least one italian guy who work there and can help you if my english is not good enough.

of course legal weed is big plus because i'm a ganja lover but i have simil coffeeshop in barcellona (with cheap and better quality weed from my last trip there) but i still love amsterdam more for some reasons... and yes most of the coffeeshop are tourist traps, but i was in amsterdam for like 12-13 times so i know the city like tha palm of my hand so i avoid all the shitty places, i literally make new friendships with other tourist offering my guidance, tourist women appreciate when a guy know his shit:ROFLMAO:

strangely enough i have zero curiosity for place like prague etc., i'm not a guy who gives a fuck about museums or monuments and shit like that, also i'm not really into the russian\nordic archetype of woman (they are beatiful, but they are just not my favourite type of beauty), amsterdam women are like the exception to the rule:ROFLMAO:

Ehh, fair enough. I've been across most of Europe, been to Amsterdam 4 times and it's probably one of the least chill cities I've been to, right next to Paris. But I'm glad others have had better experiences.

It's British peoples' fault, sorry about us, Amsterdam has had a massive overtourism issue for years because it's so cheap for us Brits to hop on a plane, train or ferry for the weekend.

I would still suggest hopping on a train to Rotterdam while you're there, it's like an hour away, way nicer and frankly the weed was better when we went, you just have to find it.

AV

i need to make my way over there at some point

ireland comes first tho

100%, if you've never met the real Irish over there you're in for a treat, some of the funniest and friendliest people on the planet. Some of them.

Guinness doesn't taste right anywhere else once you've been to Ireland.

GymWolf

Ehh, fair enough. I've been across most of Europe, been to Amsterdam 4 times and it's probably one of the least chill cities I've been to, right next to Paris. But I'm glad others have had better experiences.

It's British peoples' fault, sorry about us, Amsterdam has had a massive overtourism issue for years because it's so cheap for us Brits to hop on a plane, train or ferry for the weekend.

I would still suggest hopping on a train to Rotterdam while you're there, it's like an hour away, way nicer and frankly the weed was better when we went, you just have to find it.
dude, english people are like 1\50 of the italians there...

you can't visit a place without some italian working there, we are fucking everywhere, like german people in palma de mallorca.

i know about rotterdam but what can i say, when i'm there other than the walking to go from place to place i don't wanna stress myself with trains trip etc, i just chill for an entire week after a year of stress at work, i like knowing everything about that little city and the familiarity that comes with that, i even choose the same hotel every time.

Last edited:

MilkLizard

can you explain the bolded part?

dude this one would be my 14 or 15th trip there, i was there during every season basically, there was this time when i catched this gigantic snowfall in december a couple of years ago, it was magic.

only takeaway is a big bummer, i love chilling in coffeshop and smoking with new people every time, but i also smoke a shitload of joints outside basically everywhere especially in parks.

do you think they are gonna change this by august or no chance?

15? Not bad, I've been around 6 times now. A could also recommend a quick trip to Zandvoort, they have nice beach there to chill.

The takeaway situation is of course far from ideal but last time I checked they talked about September to open coffeeshops completely.

Ionian

Rotterdam is truly a beautiful city, not sure about the night life but when I was there, there were certainly coffee shops.

Dunno if they have them now though was a long time ago.

Prague is amazing too, the city-centre isn't huge so lots to eat and do. Never bought weed on my trip there.

Barcelona I lived in for years for work, they have coffee shops now? Was a while back. Have gone back several times on holidays because it feels like home, I love the Catalans. (Also the cost of cigarettes and alcohol)

Last edited:
Dutch dude here, though I haven't been in Amsterdam for a few years I suppose.

In public transport you must wear a mask if you are over 13 years of age. It does not have to be medical grade.

Not sure about the coffeeshops but in my town I see lines outside because they only allow n people inside at once.

Restaurants your best bet will be to get reservation.

General situation is dutch as always: behave civilized and don't bother people and you will be fine. Act 'normal' (think a little bit about how society would work smoothly and give and take a little).

Happy smoking :)

H4ze

I also was in Amsterdam 1 1/2 weeks ago for a couple days, smoking vacation with friends. They act like there is no Covid19 at all, you only need a mask for public transport, that's it.

Everything is opened and we had no problem at all buying weed, going to eat in restaurants and had a few drinks in a couple bars in the redlight district.

Top Bottom