• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is amsterdam fully recovered from covid restrictions?

GymWolf

So, i want to visit the city again after 2 years of covid that keep me away, so i want to know in detail if everything is like it was the last time i visited the city (so the year before covid was a thing) before spending several thousands of euros to book a fly+hotel.

I already asked to Kenpachii Kenpachii that lives there (or his sister lives there, can't remember) but he doesn't know the situation inside coffeeshops etc. So i have very specific questions for people who lives there (sorry ken but i need a triple or quadruple check with more people before wasting that amount of money, it is not a matter of trust, just me being paranoid).

Do i need a covid test or like 3rd-4th dose of vaccine to enter\exit the country?

Do i need to wear mask in restaurants, shops and coffeeshops?

Can i buy and consume stuff inside the coffeeshops (don't bother to answer if you only visit one single coffeeshops since they have different rules that depends from place to place if i remember well)

Is there any form of restriction related to covid?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
1. No

2. No

3. I don’t know, I don’t smoke that shit. But if the same rules as in restaurants apply then there are no restrictions.

4. No.

GymWolf

1. No

2. No

3. I don’t know, I don’t smoke that shit. But if the same rules as in restaurants apply then there are no restrictions.

4. No.
Thanks, do you have any friend or acquaintance that you can ask for? It would be super useful dude.

Also, in your humble opinion since you live there, there is any chance of things getting way worse around august (when i'm gonna visit the city) or you feel like at least for the summer they are not gonna fuck up tourism with restrictions even if the situation get a little worse again.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Thanks, do you have any friend or acquaintance that you can ask for? It would be super useful dude.

Also, in your humble opinion since you live there, there is any chance of things getting way worse around august (when i'm gonna visit the city) or you feel like at least for the summer they are not gonna fuck up tourism with restrictions even if the situation get a little worse again.

You should be good. If it will get worse, it will get worse in autumn with the regular flu season. I honestly don't know anyone that smokes. You can just look up 2-3 coffeeshops on Google and call them if you need more detailed info. But like I said, I don't see why the same regulations that apply to restaurants or pubs wouldn't apply to coffeeshops. And currently there are none.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Don't feed the flying rats and be save bro. As far as I know in my immediate vicinity covid has "gone"

Matter of fact, my father and myself got a really bad cold some weeks ago (mind you no shortness of breath or tiredness) So we called the docter and she was like yeah we're getting calls everyday; just a cold, sit it out.. would've been a different reaction 3 months ago I reckon.

Blabla I'm not helping you😅

GymWolf

Don't feed the flying rats and be save bro. As far as I know in my immediate vicinity covid has "gone"

Matter of fact, my father and myself got a really bad cold some weeks ago (mind you no shortness of breath or tiredness) So we called the docter and she was like yeah we're getting calls everyday; just a cold, sit it out.. would've been a different reaction 3 months ago I reckon.

Blabla I'm not helping you😅
Feeding the flying rats? Is that a sexual thing i'm not aware of?

Porcile

Several thousand euros seems like a lot of money for a flight, hotel and weed. Is the rest for the hookers?

Porcile

Feeding the flying rats? Is that a sexual thing i'm not aware of?

OP on his holiday in Amsterdam
sgzat7xngsq51.png

GymWolf

Several thousand euros seems like a lot of money for a flight, hotel and weed. Is the rest for the hookers?
Amsterdam is the pricest place to visit in europe bar none, so around 1200 to 1500 euros for 10\12 days in middle august (the pricest month of the year) and a cheap hotel in the centre of amsterdam, then you have to consider 200 to 300 euros a day for food, weed, stuff i buy in shops, discoteque during the night, drinks etc.

When i go to asmterdam i have zero limits, if i see something that pick my interest i don't even look at how much i spend.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I dunno since I don't live there.

What I do know is that I was on vacation there while there were still some covid restrictions (like bars and pubs closing at 20:00) which kinda sucked, but I still had no problem at all getting some weed and smoking it either inside or outside the coffee shops.

If I can recommend two things, one is renting a bike and visiting the parks that are in the city, they are very pretty with lots of green.

The other thing is to visit the Hill Street Blues pub, probably my favorite place in Amsterdam. It's a pub, so they won't sell you weed, but there's no problem in bringing your own and smoking it in there while enjoying some beer or coffee and the rock or hip hop music they play during the day, or the drum & bass they play during the night.

hill-street-blues-amsterdam.jpg

Have fun dude!

GymWolf

I dunno since I don't live there.

What I do know is that I was on vacation there while there were still some covid restrictions (like bars and pubs closing at 20:00) which kinda sucked, but I still had no problem at all getting some weed and smoking it either inside or outside the coffee shops.

If I can recommend two things, one is renting a bike and visiting the parks that are in the city, they are very pretty with lots of green.

The other thing is to visit the Hill Street Blues pub, probably my favorite place in Amsterdam. It's a pub, so they won't sell you weed, but there's no problem in bringing your own and smoking it in there while enjoying some beer or coffee and the rock or hip hop music they play during the day, or the drum & bass they play during the night.

hill-street-blues-amsterdam.jpg

Have fun dude!
I prefer to just walk, the city is so small that you don't need to do more than a couple of km to reach any interesting point, for bigger distances i just take the tram, it's my 14 or 15 trip down there so i know the city like the palm of my hand.
Also when i'm there i'm basically heavy stoned or high 24/7 (still highly functional of course) and i prefer to avoid riding a bike, i prefer to enjoy the walk from place A to place B because i like to enter any shop it pick my curiosity and it's annoying to lock the bike in a tree everytime, one time they even stolen my bike in one of my first trips and i had to pay a tax, no more bikes for me.

I visited that one a couple of times already, in 15 trips you end up visiting almost any coffeeshop and bar in the city multiple times.

GymWolf

Weed will do that to you for sure.
I know, i love getting the munchies but during the year i have to take care of my diet, but when i'm in amsterdam all bets are off and this fucking city has a place with munchie food literally every 10 meters :lollipop_squinting: , at least in the centre zone.

Last edited:

GymWolf

One more thing, if you like shopping for retro games check out Game Over? near the central station. Cool, little shop.
I think i visited that one...maybe? is it the one close to the prix d'ami coffeshoop?

Added to google maps any way, thanks.

Edit: i think i definitely visited that one, does it also have a lot of table games and mangas and action figures?!

Last edited:

QSD

So, i want to visit the city again after 2 years of covid that keep me away, so i want to know in detail if everything is like it was the last time i visited the city (so the year before covid was a thing) before spending several thousands of euros to book a fly+hotel.

I already asked to Kenpachii Kenpachii that lives there (or his sister lives there, can't remember) but he doesn't know the situation inside coffeeshops etc. So i have very specific questions for people who lives there (sorry ken but i need a triple or quadruple check with more people before wasting that amount of money, it is not a matter of trust, just me being paranoid).

Do i need a covid test or like 3rd-4th dose of vaccine to enter\exit the country?

Can i buy and consume stuff inside the coffeeshops (don't bother to answer if you only visit one single coffeeshops since they have different rules that depends from place to place if i remember well)

Thanks in advance.

I live in the dam
Basically everything is back to normal now re: covid, so no masks in restaurants etc. I don't know about vaccine requirements for entering/leaving the country. I don't dare make a prognosis for August though, it's not certain. Just in the last few days there were several items on the news about how we need to be prepared for a new covid wave, and all measures (including lockdowns, mask requirements etc) are basically still on the table if shit hits the fan in terms of hospital admissions

AFAIK you can smoke in coffeeshops but no tobacco, just cannabis. I don't do this often though, usually just buy and take home. Although the current mayor wants to illegalize cannabis sales to tourists, this is just a plan and hasn't been implemented.

Basically the situation is as it was last time you visited probably, albeit with the risk of sudden restrictions being implemented if hospital admissions rise.

GymWolf

I live in the dam
Basically everything is back to normal now re: covid, so no masks in restaurants etc. I don't know about vaccine requirements for entering/leaving the country. I don't dare make a prognosis for August though, it's not certain. Just in the last few days there were several items on the news about how we need to be prepared for a new covid wave, and all measures (including lockdowns, mask requirements etc) are basically still on the table if shit hits the fan in terms of hospital admissions

AFAIK you can smoke in coffeeshops but no tobacco, just cannabis. I don't do this often though, usually just buy and take home. Although the current mayor wants to illegalize cannabis sales to tourists, this is just a plan and hasn't been implemented.

Basically the situation is as it was last time you visited probably, albeit with the risk of sudden restrictions being implemented if hospital admissions rise.
Yeah i know the no tobacco rule, always used anyway like 99% of people inside coffeeshop, no one use that smelly poutpourri of green shit they gave you, you only need to be discrete and not keeping the pack of cigarette or traces of sigarettes in your table when you roll.

Politicians try to make weed illegal in your city since my first trip more than 15 years ago, they know very well that a large part of tourism in amsterdam is caused by the weed business, it would be a monetary suicide, and from my experience, your city is way more chill than any other place i visited where weed is illegal, so i don't know what the fuck your politicians are trying to achieve here...

Last edited:

D-Dude

There are better places to visit then shitty overpriced Amsterdam...
The South, Limburg is beautiful. Lots of hiking there, and green. No bums or beggars and woke stuff.

Source: dutchy myself

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I loved Utrecht. Didn't spend a lot of time there but the place was cool. Also, there's a boat that's also a coffee shop, pretty cool place to chill.

Thanks in advance.
Have fun OP if you know what I mean nudge nudge wink wink

😉 😏

SJRB

Gold Member
We kinda decided that we're done with Covid so everyone basically stopped thinking about it and treats it like a minor inconvenience on par with a light cold. You're good to go my dude.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just an FYI, I read an article about how HIV is spreading fast in Amsterdam. Looks like some dude infected one of the hookers and that thing just spread like wildfire.

I wouldve thought they wouldve closed down all the brothels during the pandemic. Besides, I thought the hookers were all tested and shit.

QSD

Yeah i know the no tobacco rule, always used anyway like 99% of people inside coffeeshop, no one use that smelly poutpourri of green shit they gave you, you only need to be discrete and not keeping the pack of cigarette or traces of sigarettes in your table when you roll.

Politicians try to make weed illegal in your city since my first trip more than 15 years ago, they know very well that a large part of tourism in amsterdam is caused by the weed business, it would be a monetary suicide, and from my experience, your city is way more chill than any other place i visited where weed is illegal, so i don't know what the fuck your politicians are trying to achieve here...
LOL I already thought that the no tobacco rule wasn't really enforced, but yeah I just smoke at home or at parties so not much experience.

I really loathe the local government ATM, nominally liberal/left-wing but actual policy wise they are nothing short of reactionary sometimes. I hope you continue to feel welcome, either way.

GymWolf

Just an FYI, I read an article about how HIV is spreading fast in Amsterdam. Looks like some dude infected one of the hookers and that thing just spread like wildfire.

I wouldve thought they wouldve closed down all the brothels during the pandemic. Besides, I thought the hookers were all tested and shit.
I never paid for fucking in my life so there is no risk for me, thanks anyway.

Last edited:

GymWolf

COVID in the human perception is gone .. they pretend it is … I have coworkers that are serous I’ll .. in the 20s. Rules are gone ..

So enjoy ..

Winter will be fun !
i love amsterdam under the snow, i visited the city 3-4 times already during winter.

But i have the vacations day from work in the summer so it is always easy to go there during august.

Also i love just sitting down on the grass in the many big ass parks the city has and during winter that it's kinda impossible :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

There are better places to visit then shitty overpriced Amsterdam...
The South, Limburg is beautiful. Lots of hiking there, and green. No bums or beggars and woke stuff.

Source: dutchy myself
i know, many people told me that but what can i say, i just love amsterdam even with the flaws, also after so many trips i know where to go and what to buy to not get ripped off (well not much at least), i'm not your typical young first timer.

I love the atmosphere, how small it is, how packed it is with things to see and eat, after a year of work and stress, amsterdam is my comfy AF vacation.

I consider the city like my second home and i'm gonna end up living there sooner or later.

P.s. sorry for the 3 consecutive posts.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The wagyu burger at Burger Bar is one of the best in Europe.

All food is the best when high AF =P

Hey wolfie. Perhaps when I'm more stable/my true self I could visit you. I adore italian cuisine and dark haired woman!!!

💗💗💗💗💗💗

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I forgo my appetite when smoking or drinking. I make up for it 100% when I'm done tho

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

There are no restrictions anymore, and i'm fine with it. I contracted covid about 2 weeks ago, lots of my co-workers and friends did so too. No one was out for more than 3 days, and it helps with immunity. Right now I likely won't get it. But YMMV. There is the off chance someone gets seriously ill though I don't know them personally.

Amsterdam is fine to visit, personally I like it the most from all the cities we have. Its the most lively, get a bike or scooter and just go places. One thing I hate is being harrassed by street vendors who sell absolutely shitty pot (I doubt its even pot at all, perhaps just grass lol).

SkylineRKR

Pity him, for he knows not what he's missing.

The most expensive sex is actually free sex.

lol true. Everyone pays for sex. Jesus christ. I was dating last year, restaurants and all. We did split the bill, but I did pay drinks now and then, paid for a sports game. Easily took me a few hundreds before I was green lit. Its better quality though.

QSD

Randomly occurred to me that I forgot to mention that Schiphol Airport has been facing big post-covid understaffing problems which is leading to record-breaking waits and delays. Something to keep in mind for your return flight.

GymWolf

Randomly occurred to me that I forgot to mention that Schiphol Airport has been facing big post-covid understaffing problems which is leading to record-breaking waits and delays. Something to keep in mind for your return flight.
So you say that instead of being at the airport 2 hours before the fly, it is better to go there 3-4 hours before?!

GymWolf

At this moment the waiting queue is 5+ hours, some flights 24+ hours. It's absolute chaos because of strikes and understaffed personel.
well shit this is not good at all.

Any chance of things improving in 2 months from now?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just make sure you wear a face mask in the coffee shops and when you’re bonking a prozzie and you’ll be fine.

GymWolf

Right at the start of the summer holidays?

giphy.gif
My point is that they still have more than 2 months to fix the problem since the problem is caused by external factors and not by the number of people in vacancy (amsterdam is always full choke of tourists every day), sure if the problem persist, having even bigger numbers is gonna make things works but it was not my point.
Just make sure you wear a face mask in the coffee shops and when you’re bonking a prozzie and you’ll be fine.
If i have to wear a mask i'm gonna stay home, i'm not gonna waste money if i can't visit the city with zero drawbacks.

QSD

well shit this is not good at all.

Any chance of things improving in 2 months from now?
Yeah it's not gonna help you much but I wouldn't count on it. They've been struggling with this issue on and off for over a month now, but haven't been able to make much progress it seems. One day everything is OK, the next people are missing their flights due to the understaffing delays. The CEO of Schiphol said a couple of days ago he expects the problems to persist at least until the summer holidays.

edit: here's a bit of background: https://nos.nl/artikel/2430047-problemen-op-schiphol-duren-voort-fnv-dreigt-met-nieuwe-acties
page is in dutch but you can use your browser to translate

Last edited:
Top Bottom