• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skull & Bones open beta tomorrow, releases soon - where's the hype at?

cormack12

Gold Member

skull-and-bones-timeline.jpg

Luipadre

I mean im gonna play the open beta, i played the older beta, its not a trainwreck or a bad game, its just doesnt worth the asking price imo. Could be fun for a few hours. Probably gonna buy it when it hits like a 80% off sale, since its an ubisoft title it will come sooner rather than later :p

Last edited:

Zathalus

I didn't even need feedback from the closed beta to know I wouldn't give a shit. As soon as they revealed the game wont take place in the Caribbean (you know the most prominent pirate haven in fiction) then I basically did not give a shit.

Mossybrew

Is it up on the playstation store yet? been looking the last few days. Definitely seems like it's worth checking out.

I'll check out the beta/demo because I'm curious what all these years of development resulted in, but unless it manages to blow me away, there's a 0% chance that I'll pick it up.

Coming out way to late that all my interest faded years ago. Just wanted a black flag sequel, as that is by far the best AC game. AC4 was a launch title for Xbone and PS4. It's 2024 now and it somehow looks less interesting than an 11 year old game. Pretty impressive how badly Ubi screwed this up. They literally had the core gameplay/mechanics already. Sighhh

xrnzaaas

People are playing Sea of Thieves. Now I remember that SoT started off in barebones state, but I doubt Ubisoft will spend a ton of money and wait several years to end up with a more complete product that's gonna slowly grow a healthy userbase.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
"At least it looks nice". ..Does it really tho? I don't think so. The graphics look stiff, clumsy and outdated.

Gameplay or graphics, I've seen nothing from this game that I like. For shame, we need another good pirate alternative.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Game is going to win no one that was already against it from previews and the like. So far there's nothing surprising about the game, it's just straight up the ship-gameplay from Black Flag fully fleshed out into its own game. Played enough to get the starter ship and what's there is just fine. That's it. It's fine. Definitely not something to get at full price (this is an Ubi+ or one of Ubi's deep-discount purchase for sure).

. . .that said, the graphics for the ships and some main characters actually looks really good (thankfully). The open world and anything else definitely feels creaky.

KellyNole

So there is no sword fighting, no pistols, and you can't really explore islands or do any kind of combat on land. It is just a pure naval combat pirate game?

No Thanks.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
F2P live service games= free and online sub not needed ($0 total)
Skull and Bones= $70 and an online sub is required ($80 minimum)..........and no solo campaign.

Go figure. Dead on arrival.

Blame SONY not UBI for the "next-gen console tax" and not being able to co-op without ponying up for PS+.

. . .no idea where you're getting the "no solo campaign" bit from.

Does it do anything different?

Different than what? Black Flag? No. And why would it?

Kurotri

It's a cool documentary from IGN if anyone's interested

However, my hype is still at zero and I'm really worried about the Black Flag remake after having watched the vid. Basically the studio is super inexperienced in many aspects (for instance, narrative, you know, writing a story and having a campaign and all that) which is why they decided to make a GAAS title. They pretty much weren't up to snuff for anything more than this. Handing over the BF remake to this studio is a terrible decision.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
People are playing Sea of Thieves. Now I remember that SoT started off in barebones state, but I doubt Ubisoft will spend a ton of money and wait several years to end up with a more complete product that's gonna slowly grow a healthy userbase.
They kind of already spent that money lol. This shit's been in development for 10 years and has had 5 years worth of delays.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Blame SONY not UBI for the "next-gen console tax" and not being able to co-op without ponying up for PS+.

. . .no idea where you're getting the "no solo campaign" bit from.

Different than what? Black Flag? No. And why would it?
Because they said it. It can be played solo but the said they axed the campaign years ago. Unless all the info I read was wrong. I'm downloading the beta today. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Frexerik88

Neo Member
I have no idea what to expect from this, i do like the idea of the game so ive downloaded the beta and will give it a shot before making a decision on the purchase.

I haven't really watched anything about the game so am cautiously optimistic for now.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Because they said it. It can be played solo but the said they axed the campaign years ago. Unless all the info I read was wrong. I'm downloading the beta today. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I mean, you've kinda corrected yourself? I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "Single Player Campaign." There is clearly a campaign here that can be completed solo or in a party. If you're looking for a strictly singe-player affair with no live-service trappings, then no, this is not that game.

Mossybrew

So it's a Pirate MMO lite. Played a couple hours with a buddy last night and we had a good time. Love all the customization options. I think our only real complaint so far was there didn't seem much opportunity to get out of your boat and explore on foot aside from designated areas like the main city - oh and no hand to hand combat is a fairly glaring omission in a pirate game. But honestly if I hadn't just bought Infinite Wealth and Helldivers 2 I'd be very tempted to buy this, will probably when a decent sale rolls around. At any rate will be playing more over the weekend for sure.

I played for about 30 minutes and I was pretty bored, it may be all right once you get past the initial introduction bullshit but it didn’t grab my attention well enough for me to continue.

I was hyped for this after black flag

Now I’m more happy to see how they managed to drag this out for years and wait for the remake/remake/sequel to black flag (and no, rogue doesn’t count). Might pick it up cheap, or on sub service. But can’t see a retail purchase as this reeks or ‘issues, changes and moving goalposts’ for the devs

I was thinking what they have now, does show that black flag may just have been Ubisoft getting lucky and not fully understanding why people loved it and why it still stands, even today around 10 years after its initial release

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Isn't E Evil Calvin a Xbox guy?
Publishers set the price of games, not console makers.

SONY set the precedent for the next-gen tax; I do not know of any publisher who did so before, as the game is not 70 dollars on PC (and of course requires nothing but an internet connection to play).

. . .as for the gameplay past tutorial (while HD2 is sorting its own issues out): I'm digging it. It's just Black Flag. That's it. Many years too late - possibly, but there's still quite enough grinding and progression here for those that like those kinds of games. Also, moving about the shared social spaces. . .I have no doubt that ship-to-ship combat or something similar is going to be added into this game. All they have to do, I'd guess, is design "battle spaces" for these occurrences based on each ship design, but it is clear the engine can handle it. Same with exploring islands: you can do this with all the outposts, so adding in little side diversions for sure is something I see on the horizon - if the game gets the player interest to make investing in that worth it.

IAmRei

I dont know, in my place the hype is lost since... Years ago, some people even forgot it existed (also me if not for my friend reminds me sometimes ago)

Mr Moose

SONY set the precedent for the next-gen tax; I do not know of any publisher who did so before, as the game is not 70 dollars on PC (and of course requires nothing but an internet connection to play).
Activison and EA did.
Activision is the second publisher to price a next-gen title at $70, following 2K’s NBA 2K21, which priced its next-gen version at $70 / £65 and cross-gen bundle at $99.99/£84.99.
Oh, it was 2k and Activison.

Last edited:
I dunno, it looked alright in the trailers. Certainly better than Suicide Squad, at least. This one will definitely crater in price fast though.

Top Bottom