• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skull & Bones open beta tomorrow, releases soon - where's the hype at?

StueyDuck

skull-and-bones-timeline.jpg

I've been playing it off an on for like 3 maybe even 4 years now 🤣 I've all but had enough of skull n bones

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Michelle Rodriguez keeps interrupting my youtube videos over this, it had better leave sand in my shoes after all of that cacophony

ahtlas7

Hype? I don’t think Ubi presented a reason to be. Seems like a step down from a game they already released long ago.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Played it for a bit, hated it. The opening act was just weird, I’m in the open seas and the first thing that happens is that I hit some kind of boundary and had sixty seconds to return to the quest area. Seriously, why?

Aiming and firing cannons like I’m in control of a turret is also weird. I grew up playing Sid Meier’s Pirates in the late 80s and so I judge pirate games based on that. I found the simplistic ship combat game of that title more fun than Skull and Bones, since you and the enemy could only fire from the broadsides which affected how you would attack and how you would evade since wind direction and speed would heavily affect your maneuvering.

Then there’s the hamfisted writing. The dialogue coming out of characters‘ mouths isn’t even remotely believable. There were several borderline “Jill, here's a lockpick. It might be handy if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you” moments in execution.

I had little interest in the first place, and the open beta helped confirm my suspicions. Gameplay is meh, it’s aesthetically mediocre at best, outright ugly in some spots which I suppose coincides with it having been delayed for so long. Even with a lot of games I end up disliking, there’s usually at least one aspect that stands out. Everything was just bleh. I can’t help but compare it to another Ubisoft product like The Division, and I can only shake my head at the stark contrast.

I think everything lacks…weight? I
The tutorial had ships that could take ten thousand cannonballs, and the boats behaved like fast cars. I would like it if the ships were more sluggish.

And the graphics of characters are…not too hot.

And the sharks jumping around…what the hell?

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

UBISOFT MULTIPLAYER GAAS

So it’s a means for drip feeding worthless shit for years rather than releasing the best game possible day one and then moving onto the next game.

A leach game like Fortnite that suck up everyone’s time and money so fewer varied and exciting games are successful.

Kerotan

Fun so far but in terms of gameplay a small downgrade on black flag. Considering that's 10 years old a remaster or remake will do very well I feel.

Bartski

Gold Member
so I played it for a bit, don't think it's as horrible as everyone is saying but the PS5 performance mode looks like a game that could run on PS3. That intro listing 10+ Ubisoft studios having worked on it is just wild.

j0hnnix

really enjoying this. glad I'm holding out on purchasing any other games. the fact I can manage my own ship without forced coop works for me. looks good on Xbox series x, performance mode is definitely meh so sticking with quality.

Yoda

Was really hyped, like more than half a decade ago? Pirate Open World == buy. Pirate GaaS != buy.

Bond007

Well, ignoring all the negative hype around it. Cause its the popular thing currently regarding this game and Ubisoft.

Considering the trouble the game has had. I find it fun and have already put a few hours into it. Great time in naval combat and the ship customization.

To each their own.

Coming out way to late that all my interest faded years ago. Just wanted a black flag sequel, as that is by far the best AC game. AC4 was a launch title for Xbone and PS4. It's 2024 now and it somehow looks less interesting than an 11 year old game. Pretty impressive how badly Ubi screwed this up. They literally had the core gameplay/mechanics already. Sighhh
r
Reminds me of Beyond Good& Evil 2.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Well, ignoring all the negative hype around it. Cause its the popular thing currently regarding this game and Ubisoft.

Considering the trouble the game has had. I find it fun and have already put a few hours into it. Great time in naval combat and the ship customization.

To each their own.

I reached the Infamy cap and will definitely be trying the game out at launch (for 15 UBI bucks; in no way should this have been sent out full price - I have no idea why they didn't go the Resident Six: Extraction route with this game). If you can get some people to grow some stones, the elite fights are fun and the actually smuggling bits (which are - at least so far - just you being hunted by other thieves) offer a good excuse for what the game does well: clunky (as I'm sure it was) ship combat.

. . .I'm not sure if the earlier E3 presentations were bullshots, but I absolutely agree that the game has suffered a SEVERE aesthetic downgrade; like it is wild just how consoley the current UI/UX is compared to what we've seen before (like older videos went hard on the old-timey, piratey writing style, whereas here it's just pick a font from UBI's focus group tested list of approved fonts).

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It is not the first time we see this.

I legit had forgotten about that TD1 presentation. After seeing this video it is basically confirmed this is how they sell games: overproduced "gameplay" that likely has post-processing elements that were never intended to be in the final version. Hell even the geometry is leagues better in that video than what the Open Beta is showing (like the shots of islands: fine that you can't go on them, but they should at least LOOK impressive).

. . .I guess this is another one that's going to be added to the pile (there's a link to a FC5 presentation, another good UBI smoothbrain game that didn't play or look as good in the presentation trailer). Legit shocked that there's no mainstream articles about this or any ex-UBI developers coming forward to talk about it.

Lux77

Tried beta, its not that bad. But I'm not paying full price for it, Ubi games get quickly discounted anyway, will just wait.

Top Bottom