• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skydance Marvel Game to be titled 'Marvel 1943: Rise of Hydra"

hail hydra GIF

Topher

Gold Member
Eh…for a second I got excited about an Invaders game. But….never mind

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Who the fuck is skydance and why do i get suicide squad vibes
1. It's Amy Hennig's (Soul Reaver, Uncharted) new studio, one of the videogame arms of Skydance, the movie production company.
2. Because it seems that you don't know anything about the project. It's actually a linear, singleplayer, story-driven action/adventure game in which you get to control different Marvel characters at different points in the story – definitely not an always-online cooperative looter shooter.

Last edited:
Kind of an odd name for the title. Did they think people would forget Marvel with "Rise of Hydra" in the title? No matter though. Being able to play as Cap/Black Panther could be so fucking great if they can nail the combat in this.

Can they?
uTD8v_.gif

manfestival

I mean as long as the game is good. I am willing to play it but it is hard to expect such from the marvel brand these days in their products.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Kind of an odd name for the title. Did they think people would forget Marvel with "Rise of Hydra" in the title? No matter though. Being able to play as Cap/Black Panther could be so fucking great if they can nail the combat in this.

Can they?
uTD8v_.gif

It's with 99.99% certainty going to be an all-black team, so you'll be playing Isaiah Bradley instead of the real Captain America.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Eh…for a second I got excited about an Invaders game. But….never mind

An Invaders game would have been interesting, because those are all characters from actual superhero comics published during WW2.

Topher

Gold Member
An Invaders game would have been interesting, because those are all characters from actual superhero comics published during WW2.

That was the defining comic of Marvel's take on WW2 so when I see "Marvel 1943" I'm thinking Captain America, Union Jack and Submariner. The last character that comes to mind would be Black Panther. He is a modern day Marvel character so unless they are doing one of those over-utilized time travel gimmicks.......I don't get it.

So yeah.....this just seems incredibly contrived. Doesn't give me a good feeling about the game.

StereoVsn

It is, because the alternative is you naming a game from 20 years ago, which is usually to be expected here.

Also do you mean financial flops, critical flops, or GAF bubble ‘flops’?
Well, maybe some of the all of the above, lol. We have had stuff like Avengers, Gotham Knights, Suicide Squad and more be both critical and sales flops. We had Midnight Suns which was a sales flop (admittedly a decent game if you skip friendship simulator parts). And there is more.

Even Guardians flopped more or less on sales side thanks to Avengers and pretty bad marketing campaign.

That leaves what, Spider-Man series?

Shut0wen

1. It's Amy Hennig's (Soul Reaver, Uncharted) new studio, one of the videogame arms of Skydance, the movie production company.
2. Because it seems that you don't know anything about the project. It's actually a linear, singleplayer, story-driven action/adventure game in which you get to control different Marvel characters at different points in the story – definitely not an always-online cooperative looter shooter.
Naah its definitely 4 player coop like that shitty batman game

Gojiira

Well Hennig is a good sign as is singleplayer action adventure. Could be good, just gonna depend who besides Cap will be playable.

Perrott

Gold Member
Well Hennig is a good sign as is singleplayer action adventure. Could be good, just gonna depend who besides Cap will be playable.
Playable characters are Captain America, Black Panther (actually, the grandfather of modern day's Black Panther), a regular soldier from the Allied army, and spy agent from Wakanda.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Dude, their official statements confirmed that it is a singleplayer game very much along the lines of the PS3 era Uncharted games that Hennig herself directed, what the hell are you talking about?
Amy henning talks bullshit and writes like tewm turf jk rowling, source my mind

Last edited:

Doom85

That was the defining comic of Marvel's take on WW2 so when I see "Marvel 1943" I'm thinking Captain America, Union Jack and Submariner. The last character that comes to mind would be Black Panther. He is a modern day Marvel character so unless they are doing one of those over-utilized time travel gimmicks.......I don't get it.

So yeah.....this just seems incredibly contrived. Doesn't give me a good feeling about the game.

The Black Panther mantle goes back far, FAR before T’Challa, I believe the oldest mentioned in the comics was 1,000,000 B.C. The movie version made it very clear the mantle has existed for a very long time as well.

So actually it’s one of the most logical choices they could have made.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

They'd do well not to advertise it with imagery that screams four player looter shooter, then.

Topher

Gold Member
The Black Panther mantle goes back far, FAR before T’Challa, I believe the oldest mentioned in the comics was 1,000,000 B.C. The movie version made it very clear the mantle has existed for a very long time as well.

So actually it’s one of the most logical choices they could have made.

I wouldn't say it is one of the "most logical choices they could have made", but I appreciate that you cleared up my confusion on the timeline. Still think Invaders makes more since in a WW2 Marvel video game as that was literally what Invaders was about.

Doom85

I wouldn't say it is one of the "most logical choices they could have made", but I appreciate that you cleared up my confusion on the timeline. Still think Invaders makes more since in a WW2 Marvel video game as that was literally what Invaders was about.

I just meant most logical compared to most Marvel superhero mantles. Not counting alternate universe versions, most Marvel superheroes who have had legacy versions like Spidey, Captain Marvel, and Ant-man were not active in WWII unless there‘s some “an even older character held the mantle first” twist involving one of them I don’t know about. I heard the Ghost Rider comics apparently revealed there was Ghost Riders prior to Johnny Blaze, but I feel a Ghost Rider would feel too out of place in WWII. Captain America embodies the classic soldier while Black Panther can embody the more stealthy and guerrilla tactics soldiers used in the conflict. I think it’s a nice combo. The two other randos joining them is odd, but maybe when the gameplay is revealed it’ll make sense.

Topher

Gold Member
I just meant most logical compared to most Marvel superhero mantles. Not counting alternate universe versions, most Marvel superheroes who have had legacy versions like Spidey, Captain Marvel, and Ant-man were not active in WWII unless there‘s some “an even older character held the mantle first” twist involving one of them I don’t know about. I heard the Ghost Rider comics apparently revealed there was Ghost Riders prior to Johnny Blaze, but I feel a Ghost Rider would feel too out of place in WWII. Captain America embodies the classic soldier while Black Panther can embody the more stealthy and guerrilla tactics soldiers used in the conflict. I think it’s a nice combo. The two other randos joining them is odd, but maybe when the gameplay is revealed it’ll make sense.

That's fair and makes sense. I'm just an Invaders fan from years back so a bit biased on that end. But also a big fan of Amy Hennig so I'm hopeful she will pull off a kick ass game. She's due.

Well, maybe some of the all of the above, lol. We have had stuff like Avengers, Gotham Knights, Suicide Squad and more be both critical and sales flops.
This is an odd argument, because you're covering all bases with negatives, but all you'd have to do is flip it around to what aspects they did well to argue the positive.
We had Midnight Suns which was a sales flop (admittedly a decent game if you skip friendship simulator parts). And there is more.
Midnight Suns was received well critically and is an odd situation because Firaxis usually has better lifetime sales number climbs than year 1 sale results.
Even Guardians flopped more or less on sales side thanks to Avengers and pretty bad marketing campaign.
Another situation of a well received game with bad year 1 sales.
That leaves what, Spider-Man series?
It depends on what you want to count. Spiderman series sold well yes, Marvel Snap made a lot of money too. Ultimate Alliance 3 and Lego Marvel 2 did well critically as well.

I'd say overall from game quality to sales, I'd rank them around a C in terms of output. While there are franchises doing better than Marvel Games, they are at least having one decent success story every few years. Again, I'd like to emphasize that the alternative here involves people pointing back to games from 20 years ago, which isn't quite happening so that is a positive sign especially on this forum.

CamHostage

Was just announced by Amy Henning and shown/talked about right now live as part of the State of Unreal stream. Showed a trailer (which was all in-engine had some HUDless game sequences in there,) and now are doing a realtime demo of the engine. Not exactly "gameplay", but it shows what the game will look like. Coming 2025; no platforms listed.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Wheres the UE5 tech showcase ingame in 4k? it was impressive for a cutscene in real time

The event where that engine runthrough was demoed is still going. Epic will likely post that up as a segment after the State of Unreal livestream finishes. You can rewind the livestream to catch it too, but there's no timecode to link to yet.

EDIT: Clip is out.

Last edited:

Hudo

I would consider it if I could play as a Hydra agent. Otherwise, not interested in the game.

But good luck to them, I guess.

Edder1

Oh man, Amy Henning was always celebrated due to her being face of Naighty Dog before they went woke, but looks like she is treadig the same path with WW2 game with 3 out of 4 main characters being black. At least don't make it that obvious. And the black female just looks exactly like the type of distasteful stronk black women portrayed in games today.

Amy did say this was all in-game real time so that part of the game is very impressive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom